PDA

View Full Version : Um is it wrong to use obviously non-zelda music in a Zelda quest?

Anikom15
04-13-2008, 06:36 AM
Like OBVIOUS, I'm not talking about custom music or similar style stuff I'm talking about stuff like StarFox and Metroid. I'm planning on using Lower Norfair's theme for Level 9 and I used some StarFox music for bosses. And Kraid's Lair is in the Water Temple. So I'm wondering if this is acceptable to the highly sophisticated ZC community.

Matthew Bluefox
04-13-2008, 09:05 AM
I've used "Illusion of Time" MP3's once (with different music for all nine levels) and it was cool! Why not? :)

_L_
04-13-2008, 11:07 AM
In my opinion, it's a little bit tacky. But the fact is that we're actually not quite all that sophisticated.

Let me just say this: The more obscure (http://www.vgmusic.com/music/computer/commodore/commodore/index-classic.html) the music you're stealing is, the better.

Beta Link
04-13-2008, 11:13 AM
Well, I'm using some music from FFVII in my game, as well as Incidental Music from Doctor Who... But it's not really that obvious. Like L said: The more obscure the music you're stealing is, the better. ;)

Revfan9
04-13-2008, 11:44 AM
Why not? If it sounds good, it is good.

AlphaDawg
04-14-2008, 02:41 PM
For once I agree with Revfan! :tongue:

Use whatever MIDIs you like. Take it from one who knows. My Conquest of Sarpadia soundtrack "samples" (not "steals," gangsta rappers told me so) music from the Mega Man series, the Castlevania series, the Ninja Gaiden series, Bionic Commando, Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Super Mario Kart, and Bugs Bunny's Crazy Castle of all games.

And, oh yeah, Sarpadia also uses Lower Norfair for one of its areas. It makes great Level 9-type music.

As for my Son of the Beach Fun Quest, there's no video game MIDIs in that one whatsoever. It uses only hard-rock and metal MIDIs from bands such as Van Halen, Metallica, Queen, and of course The Surfaris "Wipeout!"

Matthew Bluefox
04-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Oh my gosh, BB's CC ... what a classic game for the Gameboy. Thanks for giving me some old memories back, Alpha! :)

bobrocks95
04-14-2008, 04:46 PM
Walks off to play Crazy Castle 2.

Pineconn
04-14-2008, 05:02 PM
For once I agree with Revfan! :tongue:

Lol, me too. This surprises me slightly. :p

I intend on using a nice Sonic 3's Ice Cap Zone remix, Mario Kart 64's Bowser Castle, and some MIDI from a random game from VGMusic in my next quest. So yeah, as long as it's fitting, it is perfectly fine.

Matthew Bluefox
04-14-2008, 05:13 PM
I prefer the MIDI's rom the FF-Shrine website, they have even a wider variety of MIDI files, speically for the newer games. :)

bobrocks95
04-14-2008, 05:17 PM
Final Fantasy Shrine? For one, Google says that site would harm my computer, and for another, wouldn't that just be Final Fantasy stuff? VGMusic has just about everything, except for new systems(its selection is briefer, though still quite large).

Matthew Bluefox
04-14-2008, 05:19 PM
http://gh.ffshrine.org/soundtracks - That's where I get my MIDI's and MP3's from (MP3's of course only to listen on my own computer, that's it).

Dann Woolf
04-16-2008, 01:26 PM
Don't let a song's origins have a negative impact on the vision for your quest.

If it sounds good and it fits where you want it to fit, who gives a shit about where it comes from?

Besides, a lot of Zelda songs are remixes of older Zelda songs, which sometimes are from still older Zelda songs in turn. And in some cases, that means you're not so much choosing which song to use but which mix of a song to use.

Russ
04-17-2008, 07:56 PM
As long as it fits, use it. Did you ever play Hero of Dreams? Level 1's them was "Dream On"! Level 8's was from a Mario game! And they fit perfectly. It doesn't matter if it's a Zelda music. As long as it fits, use it.

Revfan9
04-17-2008, 08:44 PM
To be entirely honest, most Zelda music sucks anyway.

bobrocks95
04-17-2008, 08:45 PM
*Jumps off cliff*

If you lived back when the first Zelda came out, and played most of them since then, I'm sure you would find that the fond memories Zelda brings back would make every song send a tingle down your spine. This was not the case with me, but I still like it :tongue:.

As for anyone interested in some Zelda music, I can suggest looking here (http://www.zreomusic.com/).

Revfan9
04-17-2008, 09:10 PM
Actually I've been playing Zelda since I was 3, and I still think that the vast majority of songs from Zelda titles are crap. Almost all of them are just repetitive, boring loops. The music from the most recent Zeldas have been especially horrible (Don't get me started on TP and PH's piss-poor sound).

In complete honesty, the only songs from any Zelda game that I actually liked were the Hyrule Castle Theme from AlttP, and the Dragon Roost Island theme from TWW. Though to be fair, DarkeSword's remix of "Midna's Desperation" over at OCR is pretty nice, but the original song from TP flat-out sucks.

Russ
04-17-2008, 09:53 PM
Actually I've been playing Zelda since I was 3, and I still think that the vast majority of songs from Zelda titles are crap. Almost all of them are just repetitive, boring loops. The music from the most recent Zeldas have been especially horrible (Don't get me started on TP and PH's piss-poor sound).

In complete honesty, the only songs from any Zelda game that I actually liked were the Hyrule Castle Theme from AlttP, and the Dragon Roost Island theme from TWW. Though to be fair, DarkeSword's remix of "Midna's Desperation" over at OCR is pretty nice, but the original song from TP flat-out sucks.
First of all, I cannot stand Dragon Roost Island. It plays during the ship stage of SSBB, and it is so annoying. I have to say, my favorite Zelda tune is probable the Tarm Ruins from OoS. It captured the changing seasons feel so well.

Anikom15
04-18-2008, 05:59 PM
I've found WW's and OoT's to be exceptionally amazing. Especially Phantom Ganon's theme.

Russ
04-18-2008, 11:27 PM
I've found WW's and OoT's to be exceptionally amazing. Especially Phantom Ganon's theme.
I like TP's the best. All the music sounds so epic.

WindStrike
04-19-2008, 12:29 AM
Whatever music you like that fits best to the area that its placed to that's also appealing to the majority of the players (opinions from beta-testers also work) is probably better than picking something that, although Zelda related, doesn't quite fit in as well. Granted, there's quite a bit from Zelda to pick from, but because the music from those games are specifically suited to "fit" the original games and how those games had the same general mindset of creation behind them whereas you, a completely different mind, are creating something using expanded upon from the original, you can really only get so much out of them. Thus, it is not the slightest bit wrong to use non-zelda music for a game of your creation, even if it is using a base of Zelda... especially since hundreds of quests have already music from just about every game imaginable as well as original works (bear in mind - not all of them were good choices, cough cough (no offense to anyone)).

Just a hint of advice from me... if the music itself is not really enjoyable to listen to, don't put it in even if it fits the mood of the area perfectly, because over time (depending on what the song is, that "time" could be an enjoyable length later or within an annoyingly short period of time), the player may not be able to bear the music, given it's not a favorable listen. Additionally, for even the funnest quests... ridiculously repetitive and/or not-so-good music can screw with replay value a lot... as well as trying to get everything in the quest.

Sam Atoms
04-23-2008, 07:24 PM
It's funny, because I usually stay away from Zelda music, all other things being equal.

I don't like putting music from Zelda games into a quest because it's too FAMILIAR. Most quest players have heard it before, and don't need to hear it again. I only resort to a Zelda theme where there's really nothing else that will do. In Microplex, there's a total of one Zelda theme, the music from the Skeleton Woods in LTTP. In the Rise of the Undead Emperor demo, there's a total of one Zelda theme, the Inside the Deku Tree from OoT. In both cases, the music fit well with the area.

In my opinion, Blizzard does the best game music of anyone. Unfortunately, most of their stuff isn't available in MIDI.