PDA

View Full Version : The Official Mario Kart Wii thread

Darth Marsden
04-13-2008, 05:24 AM
I'm not sure when this comes out in the US, but it's out now in the UK and I've got it, so here's the appropriate thread. Let us know when you all get it (as I know you will) and what your Friend Code is so add it to the list.

On a similar note, add me to your Contacts List (http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/showthread.php?t=94628) already!

Friend Codes:

erm2003: 0688-5692-4432
Darth Marsden: 1547-5372-9837
ctrl-alt-del: 1633-4600-3767
mattwdr: 3050-7928-9380
War Lord: 3480-2978-2036
AtmaWeapon: 3652-0929-3429
Mak-X: 4038-6387-6303
Cloral: 4468-1588-3993
Warlock: 5455-9792-4124

MottZilla
04-13-2008, 05:26 PM
Use the force... er GameFaqs. http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/wii/data/942008.html

Still about 2 weeks off for North America.

*b*
04-13-2008, 06:34 PM
I'm definitely picking this one up. MKDS was awesome, and Double Dash was.. Well, it was unique. This looks more like Mario Kart 64, which is easily the best of the series so far

Though, before last night, I thought it was still in the planning/development stages. I had no idea it was close to being/released

vegeta1215
04-13-2008, 11:30 PM
I'll probably hold out on getting Mario Kart Wii. I'm not really that excited about it. I was psyched for SSBB, but I haven't touched it in over a week, and have been a little disappointed with it due to the lackluster fighting arenas. I feel Mario Kart Wii may be the same...still, I'm curious to hear about it. Do you plan to post any impressions Darth?

Warlock
04-13-2008, 11:39 PM
Youtube videos of ghost runs on every track:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=30E719D8F9559A3A

I'm actually pretty impressed, a lot of these tracks look very good - like MK DS quality good. I particularly like Moonview Highway (Toad's Turnpike on crack) and Maple Treeway (which actually reminds me a bit of some of the F-Zero X tracks like Big Blue).

Though I hear Battle Mode completely sucks. It forces 12 players on you (if you don't have 12 people - like in local play, it fills all other slots with CPU players) and it forces teams, so you can't have like, a 12 player FFA. It would be 6 vs. 6 (and I'm not sure if you can split it up more than that or not - the one video I saw only had two teams).

Icey
04-13-2008, 11:51 PM
It forces 12 players on you... it fills all other slots with CPU players... and it forces teams, so you can't have like, a 12 player FFA

Yeah, for the reasons I highlighted above, that sounds really shitty. Luckily battle has never been the main draw for me - kind of a fun distraction, but nothing major.

I'm pretty sure I'll give this a rent before I choose whether or not to buy it, though. I didn't really like Double Dash much.

Darth Marsden
04-14-2008, 04:26 AM
Someone wanted impressions.

Having only played the single-player side, I have to say it's great fun. There's 4 or 5 different vehicles each character can use (3 different karts, and a couple of bikes), and they're all easy to control. Yes, bikes. I'm sure you've heard that you can play using motorbikes (In fact, it's required on 100cc), but fear not! They handle just as well as the karts.

There was a mention of the levels, and of the ones I've played, they're all very well designed. You also get classic tracks from previous Mario Kart games, and though I can't speak for all of them (having not played the SNES or DS ones) they all look faithful and play pretty well.

The 12 players thing... Yeah. When you play battle (at least on your own) it assigns you to one of two teams, each with 6 players. It sounds bad, but it's actually quite fun. You can whack your team-mates - in Balloon Battle, it nicks one of their balloons - but the emphasis is on whacking the other guys. Since the levels you get are pretty big, it works out quite well, but I can see how some of you may want that one-on-one feeling.

I play using the attached wheel, which feels really weird at first! Once you get used to it (which doesn't take long at all), you'll wish you could play all driving games like this. It's how you always used to play your games, only this time tilting the remote sideways actually does make you turn. The rest of the controls are, as always, pretty simple - you only need to use three buttons. The 2 button accelerates, the 1 button hops (and lets you drift) and the D-Pad (or B) fires your weapons. That's it. Simple.

So overall, I love it. I think it's a great game and I urge you all to, at the very least, rent it.

I was going to say that I felt sorry that you have to wait another two weeks for this, but then I remembered that you guys nearly always gets things months before it comes out in Europe, and I therefore don't. Take that, corporate America!

EDIT: Thanks for adding me to your Wii Contacts list, vegeta. Now if only the other 30 people I'm waiting for would do the same...

*b*
04-14-2008, 12:26 PM
Here's a question: Is there an option to use the GCN/Classic controller by any chance?

Cloral
04-14-2008, 12:35 PM
Yeah, you can use the GCN controller, though there is at least one move (I suspect the aerial stunts) which you can't do with it. That should make getting 4 player matches together a lot easier.

I pre-ordered this, since I've loved every Mario Kart game to this point.

Breaker
04-14-2008, 01:33 PM
If I were 10 years younger I might look into buying this. I'm still very much into video games, but Nintendo isn't doing it for me these days. I'm extremely dissapointed in the battle mode of this version of Mario Kart. I'd rather emulate the original and play it online with ZSNES.

Darth Marsden
04-14-2008, 02:55 PM
*b* - From Wikipedia:

The primary control scheme is the Wii Wheel, which houses the Wii Remote. In addition to the Wii Wheel, four other controller schemes are present (as in Super Smash Bros. Brawl): the Wii Remote alone (tilted on its side), the Remote with the Nunchuk attachment, the Nintendo GameCube controller, or the Wii Classic Controller. However, by using the GameCube controller, some techniques will not be able to be accomplished. The ability to "snake" in previous Mario Kart games, which creates speed boosts by repeatedly drifting, has been abandoned in favor of a new speed boost system based on how long the player actually drifts.

Breaker: A quote for you too, from the same source:

A common criticism is the fact that Battle mode can now only be played in teams; no free-for-all option is offered. This removes the 'last man standing' element of previous Mario Kart Battle modes. The mode is also now score-based and played against the clock, resulting in only a small penalty from losing all three balloons.

Like I say though, it's still fun.

EDIT: I've just found out you can mix and match controllers, meaning I and my sister have just played a game together (I only have the one Wii remote). She enjoyed it, so it definitely owns. Get it.

Warlock
04-14-2008, 04:55 PM
Someone posted this in the comments to IGN UK's review. Is this true?:

Review: "Rather than shrinking courses down to better suit two to four players offline, Nintendo has seen fit to fill out the ranks with AI players so offline matches appear more populated."

Umm, guess someone didn't bother to press the Rules button or read the manual. CPU: Easy, Normal, Hard or OFF.

Still teambased and the larger arenas but CPU bots are optional.

P.S. - I still can't believe how that reviewer rated the MKs:

Okay, so we're all on the same page, let's get this out of the way: Mario Kart SNES > Mario Kart DS > Mario Kart GBA > Mario Kart Double Dash > Mario Kart 64. Although we might be inclined to swap the first two around depending on our current whims.

No way in hell. This is the order:

Mario Kart DS > Mario Kart 64 > Super Mario Kart > Mario Kart Double Dash > Mario Kart Super Circuit (GBA).

You can debate that if you want, but there is no way anyone can deny that Super Circuit was not THE WORST Mario Kart. And to call MK64 the worst is just awful, particularly when I think it had the best battle mode of any of them (Double Dash had the worst battle mode - honestly I think that puts it lower on the list for me than the two-person thing.. at least it had some decent tracks).

Also, I think people tend to look at Super Mario Kart through rose-colored glasses. At the time, yes, it was awesome. But it doesn't hold up well at all.

vegeta1215
04-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Super Circuit was pretty bad. I went back to play it after I got Mario Kart DS, and it's so damn hard to control. I actually remember playing it with only Mario back when I first got it cause everyone else was so touchy.

Mario Kart DS is fantastic, and the original will always be up there (it's battle mode is still unmatched, as the IGN UK reviewer agrees), but as for 64 vs Double Dash...I don't know. It's been really hard to go back and play 64 after playing Double Dash :-\

Cloral
04-14-2008, 08:53 PM
I've never understood all the hate that Double Dash!! seems to receive. I found it to be very enjoyable, and would probably rate it higher than 64 (blasphemy, I know) because of the addition of the new powerups and the 2-rider mechanic.

MottZilla
04-14-2008, 09:19 PM
Also, I think people tend to look at Super Mario Kart through rose-colored glasses. At the time, yes, it was awesome. But it doesn't hold up well at all.

Say what? How doesn't Super Mario Kart hold up? It's superb. True you only have 2 players, but you can't fault it for that since it wasn't possible at the time. But at the core there is nothing wrong with the game other than it's an older game. As far as rating the games I don't see the point since most people will only play the latest installment anyway. That makes their opinion null and void. I've played all the Super Mario Kart games save for the Wii and none have been bad games but they all have their issues.

Warlock
04-14-2008, 10:21 PM
Say what? How doesn't Super Mario Kart hold up? It's superb. True you only have 2 players, but you can't fault it for that since it wasn't possible at the time. But at the core there is nothing wrong with the game other than it's an older game. As far as rating the games I don't see the point since most people will only play the latest installment anyway. That makes their opinion null and void. I've played all the Super Mario Kart games save for the Wii and none have been bad games but they all have their issues.

It's not terrible, but it controls a bit ackward and most of the tracks are fairly identical (there is something like 6 different tilesets, plus rainbow road). It's not a bad game per-say, I just don't think it holds up to any of the 3d Karts.

Anyways, I don't dislike Double Dash, but I do think it was one of the weaker Mario Karts. The main problem I have with it is that the Battle Mode courses were all extremely terrible. The two-person Kart thing I didn't mind so much, but I think I prefer single-person karts. A lot of the courses were pretty decent though.

Darth Marsden
04-15-2008, 05:51 AM
Review: "Rather than shrinking courses down to better suit two to four players offline, Nintendo has seen fit to fill out the ranks with AI players so offline matches appear more populated."

Umm, guess someone didn't bother to press the Rules button or read the manual. CPU: Easy, Normal, Hard or OFF.

Still teambased and the larger arenas but CPU bots are optional.
'tis true! When you have two or more players, you can indeed set the bots to Off! And you can't blame me for not knowing that, 'cause I normally play in single-player mode with racing games.

For me, the Mario Kart games are:
Mario Kart Wii > Mario Kart: Double Dash!! > Mario Kart 64 > Mario Kart: Super Circuit > Super Mario Kart

That's based on how much fun they are to play right now, which I think is how they should be judged, rather then how great they were when they first came out. I haven't included Mario Kart DS as I haven't played it, but if you really want it to be in there, I'd guess it would be before Super Circuit.

Warlock
04-15-2008, 09:41 AM
'tis true! When you have two or more players, you can indeed set the bots to Off! And you can't blame me for not knowing that, 'cause I normally play in single-player mode with racing games.

For me, the Mario Kart games are:
Mario Kart Wii > Mario Kart: Double Dash!! > Mario Kart 64 > Mario Kart: Super Circuit > Super Mario Kart

That's based on how much fun they are to play right now, which I think is how they should be judged, rather then how great they were when they first came out. I haven't included Mario Kart DS as I haven't played it, but if you really want it to be in there, I'd guess it would be before Super Circuit.Made the

Well that's fantastic. Honestly, the fact that the courses are large doesn't bother me. If anything, I think Double Dash's courses were WAY too small (i.e. most of them you could see every single kart no matter where you were on the course). The thing I liked about the N64 courses was that they were large, and thus there were places to hide, ambush, etc. Block Fortress was the perfect ambush course :D

So, does it force you into 2 teams, or can you do say, 4 teams if you have 4 people?

Darth Marsden
04-15-2008, 12:33 PM
I wouldn't know (not enough controllers), but I'd guess it'd force you into two teams. Let me try it with three controllers and get back to you...

EDIT: I was right, two teams. Sorry.

Cloral
04-15-2008, 01:18 PM
Well that's fantastic. Honestly, the fact that the courses are large doesn't bother me. If anything, I think Double Dash's courses were WAY too small (i.e. most of them you could see every single kart no matter where you were on the course). The thing I liked about the N64 courses was that they were large, and thus there were places to hide, ambush, etc. Block Fortress was the perfect ambush course :D

I always liked block fortress, as I would stay on the top level and block all the ramps to the top with bananas and fake item boxes. Then I'd take green shells and just shoot them at random into the lower level. Then whenever I'd get a red shell I'd figure out where the other guy was and get to the level above him and shoot the red shell over the edge. :D

Warlock
04-15-2008, 01:37 PM
EDIT: I was right, two teams. Sorry.

Boooooo. I thought for a second you'd actually be able to do some classic 4 Player FFA. It's going to be so lame in multiplayer then - half of the people are going to be friendly.

I always liked block fortress, as I would stay on the top level and block all the ramps to the top with bananas and fake item boxes. Then I'd take green shells and just shoot them at random into the lower level. Then whenever I'd get a red shell I'd figure out where the other guy was and get to the level above him and shoot the red shell over the edge. :D

Me too. The best part is sticking fake ? blocks strategically so that it looked like a normal one, or surrounding the normal blocks with banana peels so they couldn't get them :) You could also block off the two entrances (bridge + ramp) and make yourself a little fortress to rain turtle shells down from :D

Dann Woolf
04-15-2008, 02:10 PM
I have a question.

What's the full character roster, WITH unlockables?

Darth Marsden
04-15-2008, 02:38 PM
Good question. I've only unlocked three characters and a couple of karts so far, but a quick Google search (http://wiinintendo.net/2008/04/10/mario-kart-wii-how-to-unlock-everything/) reveals the truth...

Warlock
04-15-2008, 02:53 PM
Bah, still no Magikoopa (or Kamek). What a shame. He got shafted from Mario Kart 64 (Mario Kart R) and I don't believe they ever gave him another shot :P

Surprised R.O.B. isn't on that list though, since he was in MK DS. Or Shy-Guy for that matter (he was the "no cartraige" wifi kart for MK DS, plus he was in the SSB Brawl Mario Kart stage ;)).

Warlock
04-23-2008, 03:45 PM
You know, I just realized something today:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Kart#Playable_characters

Sort that by Mario Kart Wii characters. Mario Kart Wii features *every* previous Mario Kart playable character except for DK Jr. (SMK), Paratroopa and Petey Piranha (Double Dash), and R.O.B. and Shy Guy (MK DS, though Shy Guy was even a special case in that game). And I am of course ignoring all the Pac-Man characters from the arcade one. That's actually pretty impressive, especially considering it added quite a few new ones.

Also of note, 1up's review:
http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3167527&p=44

Yay for overly nit-picky hate reviews! He spends like 90% of the review complaining about stupid things like track visuals and character choices, and then jams all the actual "information" into one tiny paragraph at the end. He doesn't even even talk about Battle Mode, except off-hand when he is bitching about how stupid some of the BM courses are.

vegeta1215
04-23-2008, 06:51 PM
Also of note, 1up's review:
http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3167527&p=44

Yay for overly nit-picky hate reviews! He spends like 90% of the review complaining about stupid things like track visuals and character choices, and then jams all the actual "information" into one tiny paragraph at the end. He doesn't even even talk about Battle Mode, except off-hand when he is bitching about how stupid some of the BM courses are.

Maybe I'm alone, but I like those kinds of reviews. For big name games, I've already read a lot about the games, so I don't need someone telling me something I already know. I like to hear about nuances in gameplay, surprises, annoyances, what worked and what didn't, etc. - things you don't read everywhere.

So far, Mario Kart Wii sounds like a step down from Double Dash in most respects, save for the online mode. The sheer fact that you cannot play Grand Prix in co-op to unlock things seriously pisses me off. I'm pretty good at Mario Kart, but the computer controlled players are often so brutal, that I need an extra player to help take home the gold. And from what I've heard, 150cc is even more brutal in this game than ever before. Oh yeah, and since it's Wifi enabled, I'm sure you won't be able to back up your save games either....sigh

Battle Mode was the most fun in the Super NES version, and the N64 had some great arenas, but since then there's been so many bad arenas. I liked Double Dash's Shine Sprite and Bob-omb battle modes, but Luigi's Mansion and the Pipe Dream levels were the only decent stages in that game :(

Phazite
04-23-2008, 10:28 PM
Bah, still no Magikoopa (or Kamek). What a shame. He got shafted from Mario Kart 64 (Mario Kart R) and I don't believe they ever gave him another shot :P

Surprised R.O.B. isn't on that list though, since he was in MK DS. Or Shy-Guy for that matter (he was the "no cartraige" wifi kart for MK DS, plus he was in the SSB Brawl Mario Kart stage ;)).

Dang, I was hoping for all three of them, Kamek, R.O.B., and especially Shy Guy to be playable characters. Dry Bones was my favorite in DS though so at least that character made it in... but over Shy Guy? Come on.

Darth Marsden
04-24-2008, 07:46 AM
I'm pretty good at Mario Kart, but the computer controlled players are often so brutal
QFT. There's nothing more annoying then spending most of the race in first place despite the blue shell attacks, only to have the lead cruelly taken from you at the last second. This happens a lot on 150cc.

Also, the SNES and GBA courses suck. End of. There's no height to them, so they just feel empty and dull. Which is a shame, as the other courses they've included from other games are pretty good.

Warlock
04-24-2008, 10:12 AM
Maybe I'm alone, but I like those kinds of reviews. For big name games, I've already read a lot about the games, so I don't need someone telling me something I already know. I like to hear about nuances in gameplay, surprises, annoyances, what worked and what didn't, etc. - things you don't read everywhere.

So far, Mario Kart Wii sounds like a step down from Double Dash in most respects, save for the online mode. The sheer fact that you cannot play Grand Prix in co-op to unlock things seriously pisses me off. I'm pretty good at Mario Kart, but the computer controlled players are often so brutal, that I need an extra player to help take home the gold. And from what I've heard, 150cc is even more brutal in this game than ever before. Oh yeah, and since it's Wifi enabled, I'm sure you won't be able to back up your save games either....sigh

Battle Mode was the most fun in the Super NES version, and the N64 had some great arenas, but since then there's been so many bad arenas. I liked Double Dash's Shine Sprite and Bob-omb battle modes, but Luigi's Mansion and the Pipe Dream levels were the only decent stages in that game :(

Except he spends the whole review bitching about stupid things ("ZOMG WHY IS BABY DAISY IN THE GAME?!?!?") rather than actually talking about how it plays. He barely discusses multiplayer at all.

Also, from what I've heard, this is the guy who bitched that Metroid Prime 3 didn't look as good as an Xbox 360 or PS3 game... yeah..

vegeta1215
04-24-2008, 06:52 PM
Except he spends the whole review bitching about stupid things ("ZOMG WHY IS BABY DAISY IN THE GAME?!?!?") rather than actually talking about how it plays. He barely discusses multiplayer at all.

Also, from what I've heard, this is the guy who bitched that Metroid Prime 3 didn't look as good as an Xbox 360 or PS3 game... yeah..

Yeah...sometimes they are like that.

...also, I like playing as Daisy in Double Dash :shy:

Cloral
04-24-2008, 09:22 PM
...also, I like playing as Daisy in Double Dash :shy:

I wanted to include one of the girls in my kart in that game (for their heart powerup), but I couldn't stand listening to either of them. Particularly Daisy, who seemed to feel it necessary to shout out "Hi I'm Daisy!" whenever she rotated to the front of the kart.

Matteo
04-25-2008, 12:24 AM
I just got the game (friend works at gamestop) and its pretty amazing.

A few points:

1. The Online is incredible; never lagged ONCE and I played for over an hour... also its quick, 60 fps quick.
2. New Track design is superb... short cuts, alternate routes, etc.
3. They added small improvements to each retro track (such as jumps - not just graphics in other words)
4. The Wii Wheel takes some getting used to, but the GCN controller works fine too... Its not that the Wii Wheel is bad, I just need to practice on it more.
5. All sorts of leaderboards, tournaments, ghost data etc.
6. You can adjust settings in offline vs. and battle modes..item frequency etc... (not as in depth as SSBB)
7. You can download other's ghost data and race against it (world leaders, friends, and so on)
8. The new air tricks really add to the game, not detract like I thought they would.
9. Your Miis show up everywhere on the courses...hilarious

I don't understand all these negative reviews. After a few hours with the game its definately at least a 9.0/10

So here's my friend code:
3050-7928-9380

Darth Marsden
04-25-2008, 08:12 AM
mattwdr - Agree with all the points you made. I take it you've yet to try 150cc, as you not only still like the game but also appear to still possess the will to live.

Warlock
04-25-2008, 04:14 PM
This cracked me up:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/4/25/
http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2008/20080425.jpg

Darth Marsden
04-25-2008, 04:30 PM
Ah, Penny Arcade. What would we do without them?

Warlock
04-25-2008, 05:26 PM
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/04/25/the-definitive-mario-kart-wii-controller-showdown/

This is interesting. Joystiq tackled all possible control options for Mario Kart Wii and came up with a chart of how well each one did. Overall it looks like the GC controller won for karts, and the wiimote/nunchuck combo won for bikes.

Cloral
04-25-2008, 06:09 PM
Someone here at work managed to get a copy already, so I played a couple of rounds. The first round I sucked because I was swerving all over the place. But by the second race I was doing a lot better and won the race. The wheel seems ok, though it is certainly a lot less precise than using the thumbstick would be. I think I'll still play it with the wheel though since it'll probably be more fun that way.

And as stupid as it looks, the plastic wheel thing actually helps out quite a bit. Just because you can then grab it like a semi-normal wheel.

AtmaWeapon
04-27-2008, 02:20 PM
3652-0929-3429

I'm liking battle mode way more than SSB:B right now, particularly because the worldwide and regional battles actually work! I'm going to register you guys and get back to playing :cool:

Darth Marsden
04-27-2008, 03:31 PM
Glad you enjoy it. I'm more a fan of the straight-up races myself, but generally that's only because I like to play battle mode with people I know. So come on and join in the fun guys, so you can all thrash the living shit out of me. Woo!

Mak-X
04-27-2008, 03:32 PM
4038-6387-6303

I'm liking the new Mario Kart so far. I like how the wheel feels, and the game puts more emphasis on driving than pulling off boosts since you don't wiggle the stick back and forth anymore, and can't snake.

I hope they're working on F-Zero Wii and use the Wii Wheel!

Pineconn
04-27-2008, 05:07 PM
I like how the wheel feels, and the game puts more emphasis on driving than pulling off boosts since you don't wiggle the stick back and forth anymore, and can't snake.

The only reason of this change is that people like me wouldn't pwn all the Mario Kart newcomers. I'd much rather have the Double Dash!! way of mini-turboing. It actually took some skill to master.

Warlock
04-27-2008, 05:45 PM
I'll have to put my code up here later (too lazy to start the game up again to get it :P)

So far it's a lot of fun. Despite all the crap they did to Battle mode, playing it online is a lot of fun. I really like Funky's Arena or whatever the stage is called. The only downside so far is having to deal with idiots who have racist/stupid names like "Nigger_boy" (actual person I saw). At least they can't draw penises on the sides of their karts like in DS tho :P

Mak-X
04-27-2008, 07:04 PM
The only reason of this change is that people like me wouldn't pwn all the Mario Kart newcomers. I'd much rather have the Double Dash!! way of mini-turboing. It actually took some skill to master.

I constantly snaked in Double Dash!! and Mario Kart DS. It could also be done in Mario Kart 64, but I never learned it in that one. I just felt it started to take away from the actual driving since you can pull off mini boosts easily during straightaways to pull ahead.

Warlock
04-27-2008, 07:24 PM
Ok, here's my number:

5455-9792-4124

I'll add everyone from this thread so far.

AtmaWeapon
04-27-2008, 10:47 PM
Ugh, something's seriously wrong with the item generation or my luck just stinks.

I just played about a dozen online races in a row. My first problem was some jerk that always picked Rainbow Road. The second time (in a row) he won the vote, I decided to grief him by staying in last and spamming him with blue shells, thunderbolts, etc. I got a thunderbolt and a POW block, but then I kept getting mushrooms, bullet bills, etc.

Then I started keeping track of when I got non-mushroom, bullet bill, or starman items. Over 8 races I got 1 green shell, 1 POW block, and 1 red shell. Something's not right.

ctrl-alt-delete
04-28-2008, 12:46 AM
So, I am definitely loving me some Mario Kart Wii.

Atma, is the kart or bike that you are choosing one that has a high item percentage?

I am of course assuming the Wii version still has that.

Played three online matches. Second place, second place, first place. Too easy. (That was without power sliding, because I had no clue how to use it yet.)

Warlock
04-28-2008, 10:33 AM
Neat, I found out last night that if somebody adds you, but you haven't added them yet, it will send you a Wii message telling you and listing their friend code, so you can add them. That's great. Why didn't Smash do that?

ctrl-alt-delete
04-28-2008, 12:22 PM
Neat, I found out last night that if somebody adds you, but you haven't added them yet, it will send you a Wii message telling you and listing their friend code, so you can add them. That's great. Why didn't Smash do that?

Smash did not do a lot of things that Mario Kart Wii did. When you are playing with friends, you can message random people and add them as friends.

Totally a step in the right direction.

Darth Marsden
04-28-2008, 02:17 PM
Atma: Generally, you'll get Blue Shells when you're in 4th-8th, along with Big Mushrooms, POW Blocks and Thunderclouds. If you're 6th-12th, you'll tend to get Bullet Bills, Stars and Thunderbolts.

Hope that helps you take out that Rainbow Road loving freak of nature.

ctrl-alt-delete
04-28-2008, 03:35 PM
Am I the only one that LOVES the new rainbow road?

Before anyone says anything about how new it is, I never played Double Dash...I own it, but have not gotten around to it...so it is definitely new to me.

Pineconn
04-28-2008, 03:46 PM
Am I the only one that LOVES the new rainbow road?

Before anyone says anything about how new it is, I never played Double Dash...I own it, but have not gotten around to it...so it is definitely new to me.

I watched all sixteen new racetracks (and all sixteen retro ones). Rainbow Road looks pretty sweet, as does mostly the rest of them. My only qualm is Moonview Highway. It looks way too easy for Special Cup (considering the difficulty of the Special Cup tracks in Double Dash!!). Does the traffic really make this course difficult enough to be worthy of Special Cup?

Ugh, something's seriously wrong with the item generation or my luck just stinks.

I just played about a dozen online races in a row. My first problem was some jerk that always picked Rainbow Road. The second time (in a row) he won the vote, I decided to grief him by staying in last and spamming him with blue shells, thunderbolts, etc. I got a thunderbolt and a POW block, but then I kept getting mushrooms, bullet bills, etc.

Then I started keeping track of when I got non-mushroom, bullet bill, or starman items. Over 8 races I got 1 green shell, 1 POW block, and 1 red shell. Something's not right.

I'm not sure about this... but Double Dash!! has an options menu that lets you choose among three item frequencies: basic, recommended, and frantic. Is there something like this in MK Wii?

Darth Marsden
04-28-2008, 03:59 PM
cad: You are a sick, twisted man who deserves to die. DIE! Rainbow Road is, and always will be, an evil, evil course.

Pineconn: Moonview Highway is pretty challenging on the higher difficulties, especially when everyone is constantly knocking you into the vehicles. Nasty. And you can alter the types of weapons you get, but only in local multiplayer, which I don't tend to use. :(

Warlock
04-28-2008, 04:13 PM
Yes, the traffic has a significant impact on Moonview Highway, moreso than in previous games. For some reason, cars LOVE to swerve right into you. It's very annoying.

Darth Marsden
04-28-2008, 04:15 PM
Especially when you go round the corner into the tunnel. They always switch lane right in front of you there. Bah!

Warlock
04-28-2008, 04:22 PM
Especially when you go round the corner into the tunnel. They always switch lane right in front of you there. Bah!

Or take the shortcut only to land in front of a car :P

ctrl-alt-delete
04-28-2008, 04:25 PM
Figured out how to power slide and everything. (Just had to turn it onto manual. Lol.)

Online, I have yet to place worse than second.

This Mario Kart is awesome. I am having a blast.

Darth Marsden
04-28-2008, 04:28 PM
Or take the shortcut only to land in front of a car :P
I did that the sole time I took the shortcut. I have yet to take it again. Who needs it anyway?

Strangely enough, this seems to be one of the few tracks I don't have problems with - I can place 1st pretty much all the time in single player. Weird.

CaD: Glad you're enjoying it. Hoopefully I'll get to play one of you guys soon - blasted time difference...

Warlock
04-28-2008, 05:15 PM
Just a random thought - I think one of my favorite courses is Coconut Mall, if only for all the Mii integration into it. Getting run over by Michael Scott, or seeing The Monarch advertising soda is hilarious :D Of course, having a giant statue of Tony Shalhoub skiing in DK's Snowboard Cross is also kind of funny :)

Cloral
04-28-2008, 07:04 PM
lol, as it is quite a bit like the one from Double Dash.

What control schemes are you guys using? After a few races I've found the Wiiel to be a completely workable solution, so I'm sticking with that.

Also, what do you guys think of the levels? Personally I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in some of them, particularly the later ones. They just don't feel that... inspired to me. And I really have to wonder about the selection of the tracks for the later classic cups. Why was Mario Circuit 3 in the lightning cup?

Mak-X
04-28-2008, 09:10 PM
I tested out the control schemes last night. The Wii Remote + Nunchuk was best next to the Wii Wheel. The buttons on the Nunchuk let you hold items and use them easier than the other control schemes.

I found the GameCube controller to be the worst since they changed the buttons from Double Dash!!, moving item to L with its big analog button. It doesn't play like Double Dash!! either, so it feels like a step back from the Wii Wheel and Remote + Nunchuck. Classic Controller worked well too, but then there's not rumble.

I also tried Double Dash!! again last night to compare... and found it to be much faster, and I think I still like Double Dash!! better. The courses are too big in Wii, it feels slower, mini boosting with technique is gone, no 2P Grand Prix (though you simulate this in VS. with 4 rounds), and apparently 4 player split screen is only 30fps (Double Dash!! was 60fps!)... I'm starting to agree with Jeremy Parish in the video review at the end of 1up's review.

Mario Kart Wii adds 12 player multiplayer online, and is easy for everyone to play with its motion controls, but Double Dash!! is still good a good game if you're playing offline.

erm2003
04-28-2008, 09:27 PM
Just got the game today. Here is my code:

0688-5692-4432

I already added everyone in from this thread. I am going to play a little now but maybe I can catch someone online tomorrow afternoon/evening.

AtmaWeapon
04-29-2008, 12:17 AM
Hahaha I'm racing with Mak-X right now this is awesome

Darth Marsden
04-29-2008, 02:03 AM
I like most of the new courses. DK's Snowboad Cross and Maple Treeway are my favourites. As for the classic tracks, yeah, I'll agree that the choices are a little random. I'm totally not a fan of the SNES or GBA courses, mostly because of the lack of height, but I think the others work pretty well.

ctrl-alt-delete
04-29-2008, 04:32 AM
Alright...

1633-4600-3767

Finally got around to updating this thread, for anybody it might help.

http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1165702#post1165702

I am adding all of the above to my Mario Kart Wii roster now, and I will update my Brawl roster tomorrow afternoon.

Add me, fags.

erm2003
04-29-2008, 06:01 AM
^^Will do this afternoon. Oh and in the other thread you titled the second group of friend codes as Brawl still but they are for Mario Kart.

I played some of the 50cc GP last night using the wheel and I like the feel. It didn't take long to get used to though I still find myself accidentally releasing the item button when coming out of a slide. I am sure I will break that soon. The courses are fun so far and I can't wait to try the Star Cup later today. I want to play through all the courses at least once before I do some online play so I at least know the general feel for them. I will look for some matches later today.

Darth Marsden
04-29-2008, 06:04 AM
Welcome to the club, CaD.

ctrl-alt-delete
04-29-2008, 11:08 AM
^^Will do this afternoon. Oh and in the other thread you titled the second group of friend codes as Brawl still but they are for Mario Kart.

I played some of the 50cc GP last night using the wheel and I like the feel. It didn't take long to get used to though I still find myself accidentally releasing the item button when coming out of a slide. I am sure I will break that soon. The courses are fun so far and I can't wait to try the Star Cup later today. I want to play through all the courses at least once before I do some online play so I at least know the general feel for them. I will look for some matches later today.

Actually, I do not think that is just you. I am having the same problem with a GCN controller, when I certainly am not releasing the button. Maybe you can only hold items for protection for a certain amount of time?

Darth Marsden
04-29-2008, 01:03 PM
I've held items behind me for an entire lap, and very useful they were... in the end.

The problem you guys are having (and that I had at first) is that you're letting go of one button (2 or B, whichever controller you use) and when you do that, you subconsciously let go of the d-pad at the same time. You need to really focus and make sure you keep it held down when you slide, otherwise you'll inadvertently lose your protection. It may take a while, but you'll get it in the end.

Warlock
04-29-2008, 01:17 PM
I use the GCN controller and have had no trouble holding onto items. I do agree the click is annoying though. But I could never use the classic controller - the analog stick is in an awful position, especially relative to the d-pad (for tricks). GCN Controller is perfect for that :)

Darth Marsden
04-29-2008, 03:13 PM
How do you do tricks with the NGC controller? That's the only thing I couldn't figure out and can't be bothered to look up.

Warlock
04-29-2008, 03:33 PM
How do you do tricks with the NGC controller? That's the only thing I couldn't figure out and can't be bothered to look up.

D-pad

ctrl-alt-delete
04-29-2008, 04:56 PM
Right now, I am playing Mario Kart Wii.

You? You should be playing with me.

Okay, go!

Warlock
04-29-2008, 04:59 PM
Right now, I am playing Mario Kart Wii.

You? You should be playing with me.

Okay, go!

I'm at work, so um... I can't? :P

Cloral
04-29-2008, 05:18 PM
I'm at work, so um... I can't? :P

Same here. Also, I need to hook up my wireless router again which I haven't done since I moved.

erm2003
04-29-2008, 06:26 PM
I just tried to connect but for some reason I am having wireless issues. Well I should say I think it's on Nintendo's end because I was able to connect and check my friend's list before playing a GP for a while and now it won't connect at all, yet I am here on my wireless connection using my laptop. Oh well. I will get a few things done and try later tonight.

vegeta1215
04-29-2008, 06:51 PM
I found the GameCube controller to be the worst since they changed the buttons from Double Dash!!, moving item to L with its big analog button. It doesn't play like Double Dash!! either, so it feels like a step back from the Wii Wheel and Remote + Nunchuck. Classic Controller worked well too, but then there's not rumble.

Aren't there controller customization options? (like in SSBB)

War Lord
04-29-2008, 08:05 PM
3480-2978-2036

Mak-X
04-29-2008, 08:19 PM
I use the GCN controller and have had no trouble holding onto items. I do agree the click is annoying though. But I could never use the classic controller - the analog stick is in an awful position, especially relative to the d-pad (for tricks). GCN Controller is perfect for that :)

I found the D-Pad on the Classic Controller easier to get to for tricks than the GC controller, and I'm always doing taunts in Smash Bros. with the GC controller. I'm probably used to the PS2 layout now. The sticks on the Classic Controller and Nunchuck are more like the N64 stick too.

Aren't there controller customization options? (like in SSBB)

Nope, but like I said, I recommend the Wii Wheel (Remote) or Remote + Nunchuck over the GameCube controller. And I love the GameCube controller for Smash Bros. and Double Dash!! Items are mapped to L instead of X or Y so it feels odd playing on the GC controller, and that kinda misses the point of the game.
I had the problem with the Wii Wheel holding items with left on the D-Pad because I'm using B underneath for power sliding. The Nunchuck works better with using items because of the normal button (C or Z?) and the Classic Controller has a shorter spring push to it for L than the GC controller.

Hahaha I'm racing with Mak-X right now this is awesome

I didn't even notice! It's great that you can just join in. I remember in the Iwata Asks interviews they said you may find that eventually everyone you're racing are your friends as they join.

vegeta1215
04-29-2008, 11:21 PM
Nope, but like I said, I recommend the Wii Wheel (Remote) or Remote + Nunchuck over the GameCube controller. And I love the GameCube controller for Smash Bros. and Double Dash!! Items are mapped to L instead of X or Y so it feels odd playing on the GC controller, and that kinda misses the point of the game.

I had the problem with the Wii Wheel holding items with left on the D-Pad because I'm using B underneath for power sliding. The Nunchuck works better with using items because of the normal button (C or Z?) and the Classic Controller has a shorter spring push to it for L than the GC controller.

Sounds to me like Nintendo intentionally gimped the Gamecube controls... :disgust:

I watched 1up's video discussion on Mario Kart Wii, and the points Jeremy Parish (the guy on the far right) brings up are points that I think I would make myself. Like him, I loved the depth and strategy of Double Dash, and this just seems like a step backwards. The new tracks do look cool, but that's about it. Honestly, I'm thinking of skipping this Mario Kart. Online sounds like it's gotten better, but I don't have much interest in playing online. Also, I haven't touched Smash Bros Brawl in weeks...

Matteo
04-29-2008, 11:26 PM
The GC Controller works perfect for this game... I don't understand how anyone has issues with it.

*b*
04-30-2008, 02:01 AM
The GC Controller works perfect for this game... I don't understand how anyone has issues with it.

Agreed, completely

I just picked this game up, and I have to admit, it's better than I thought it would be. Better than Brawl, even. A lot of the things I've heard about this game I don't agree with, such as it being somewhat slow and the courses too wide. Mario Kart hasn't really been about insane speed, and the courses feel great even when you're racing on your lonesome

Though, I wish I could have gotten it without the wheel. It's not a bad control scheme, but it just doesn't compare to a good 'ol control stick on the GCN controller

Darth Marsden
04-30-2008, 03:12 AM
I'd happily play with you guys, but because of the time difference, you guys are either in school, at work or asleep when I'm ready to play. Lame...

ctrl-alt-delete
04-30-2008, 03:29 AM
Marsden, I see you are online, but when I try to connect to your room my connection gets an error.

I will create a room. See if you can join.

Darth Marsden
04-30-2008, 03:33 AM
Yaaaay!

EDIT: Apparently, I rule at Coin Battle and Grand Prix, but I suck at Balloon Battle. Just a heads up for anyone who wants to play me in the future.

DarkDragoonX
04-30-2008, 08:26 AM
How does the online mode stack up? I can't play Brawl online due to endless disconnects and quarter-second lag when I am able to connect. No matter how I configure my router, it's a no-go. The fact that nothing else I play online ever has that problem leads me to believe that it's Nintendo's fault. Does Mario Kart Wii actually work online? I may not bother picking it up if it doesn't.

Darth Marsden
04-30-2008, 12:38 PM
If my ownage of ctrl-alt-delete doesn't convince you, then try renting MK first and giving it a try. It really is great fun if you're up against a fair few people.

Sorry to hear about your SSBB woes, BTW.

ctrl-alt-delete
04-30-2008, 12:57 PM
Yaaaay!

EDIT: Apparently, I rule at Coin Battle and Grand Prix, but I suck at Balloon Battle. Just a heads up for anyone who wants to play me in the future.

Next time I actually choose my own kart, I will show you whatsup. :-p

As for online, yeah, it works great.

I have no clue why Brawl is so laggy but I have not had a single fps drop no matter how many people I have raced with.

Darth Marsden
04-30-2008, 01:55 PM
Yeah yeah. That argument does not hold water, and you know it. You can take as much time as you want to choose your kart - you just chose poorly. Suck it up and take it like a man.

Matteo
04-30-2008, 06:16 PM
I destroyed Mak last night in online VS. :p

I wonder if he even noticed me racing with him...

(I'm Matteo in MKWii Online by the way)

Mak-X
04-30-2008, 10:21 PM
I noticed!

Online play with Mario Kart is great, the best Nintendo's done so far.
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3167633

A lot of the problem with Smash Bros. is because of the kind of game it is. A game like Mario Kart and Halo will use a lot of guessing when sending data back and forth, like the trajectory of a bullet or koopa shell. Smash Bros. as a fighting game needs the exact data sent back and forth because of how it plays, and a good connection. That's why most fighting games haven't gone online until this generation. Most of the connection issues are Nintendo's fault with the servers being bogged down with traffic. I've been able to play fine when it works, but do find some laggy games, probably because of individual players connections.

Darth Marsden
05-01-2008, 03:47 PM
Hey, anybody tried the competition they've just started? I've given it a couple of goes, and I love the 'surprise' they included with the map. Wish I could play that in proper multiplayer, it'd be great fun.

My best time is just over 1:53. Any better from you guys?

AtmaWeapon
05-01-2008, 11:29 PM
I'm still working on getting a sub 2 minute time. :( What do you use?

ctrl-alt-delete
05-02-2008, 12:48 PM
I have not taken a shot at it yet. I think I will spend the majority of tonight playing through single player, unlocking shit.

Then, I will give it a go.

Darth Marsden
05-02-2008, 12:54 PM
I used the standard bike, pulled wheelies and was very lucky not to get whacked with any blue shells!

My goal was to beat 2 minutes, because I knew that I could do it, but I never expected to do it by so much. Remember to drift around corners - you can still do so while avoiding the chomp-chomps, you just have to be careful which side of the road you skid round.

EDIT: 1:53:760 is the actual time I got. Screw two minutes, there's your target right there.

Cloral
05-04-2008, 01:58 PM
OK, I finally got my Wii connected to the internet again. My friend code is 4468-1588-3993.

War Lord
05-07-2008, 03:11 PM
Joined Matteo last night and noticed Da Phire in ther as well.
I took 3 first places in a row before I had to go.
You guys better practice.

Cloral
05-07-2008, 03:26 PM
It seems like every time I play with you guys I do worse than I do normally. I don't know why. Though in general it does seem that I am susceptible to what I call the 'stack effect' - that is, you get hit by something, and then you get smacked again before you can move by something else like a star or bullet bill, dropping you from near the front to dead last. In spite of that, online play is like crack. It's such a fun game really.

I've also got another interesting story regarding the wheel. My parents were over to visit a couple days ago, and like usual my dad insisted on playing some wii bowling. While I was setting it up he noticed the wheel and was asking about it. He wanted to see how it worked, so after bowling I put in mario kart to show him, playing a round of the 150 gp. After the first race he took the wheel from me so he could play it. After he played a track on time trial my mother also gave it a play. Remember that they never play games. So say what you will about the wheel, but it is the sort of thing that appeals to a lot of people. People for whom doing the action instead of just pressing a button or stick makes more difference than we game players can understand.

Russ
05-07-2008, 03:40 PM
So say what you will about the wheel, but it is the sort of thing that appeals to a lot of people. People for whom doing the action instead of just pressing a button or stick makes more difference than we game players can understand.
That was the whole point of the Wii. Nintendo wanted to make a system that everybody would enjoy. Hence, the name Wii, which sounds like "we".

Darth Marsden
05-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Also, the two letters 'ii' represent two people standing side by side, playing.

I finally unlocked Mirror Mode yesterday, and I've been getting through the Classic GPs first. It's not as weird as it should be, playing through them in mirrored mode - I've adapted quite quickly. The AI still cheats though - once I got clobbered with a blue shell then two red shells RIGHT BEFORE THE FINISH LINE. Ruddy unfair it was.

Matteo
05-07-2008, 10:05 PM
Joined Matteo last night and noticed Da Phire in ther as well.
I took 3 first places in a row before I had to go.
You guys better practice.

Yeah I was off my game

We did play the same course twice though...;)

I'm going to have to practice on the bikes more because I feel like they are faster overall... I dunno though.

Pineconn
05-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Bah, once I get online and a copy of Mario Kart Wii, I'll take you all on. Erm might be able to vouch. ;)

erm2003
05-07-2008, 10:15 PM
Yes, you are good at time trials. Let's see what happens when you have to deal with 11 others on the track at the same time. :)

Matteo
05-08-2008, 12:29 AM
Mak and Cloral:

Great matches tonight! Good fun...

Darth Marsden
05-08-2008, 07:49 AM
I'd love to thrash you all if I had the chance. Stupid time difference...

Cloral
06-05-2008, 06:57 PM
So does anyone else still play online? It's been a while since I've seen anyone.

Pineconn
06-05-2008, 07:09 PM
I play all the time online. However, it's getting a little more difficult to play with the same people for at least a few races since I have a star next to my name... :sly:

Cloral
06-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Do you have a friend code? I'm looking through this thread and I'm not seeing one for you.

AtmaWeapon
06-05-2008, 08:59 PM
I haven't been playing for a while. I believe when I got TWEWY I got distracted, then I bought Okami Wii. I'd like to play, it's just there's other games I want to play too.

Pineconn
06-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Do you have a friend code? I'm looking through this thread and I'm not seeing one for you.

Since I'm using a proxy, I can't get the direct URL to the thread, but go back to the General Gaming Discussion forum, then look for a stickied topic called "Post Your Nintendo Wii Wi-Fi Connection Information Here!" You'll find my Brawl and Mario Kart Friend Codes in the last page (separate posts). For simplicity I'll throw them in my sig.

We really need to set up a Brawl and/or MK tourney.

The_Amaster
06-05-2008, 09:35 PM
Reminds me, I need to get my friend code up.
One sec...

Okay, it's 2063-0305-7398

I'll add Darth and Pineconn right away and check out other people's as well.

Favorite characters so far: Koopa Troopa and Rosalina. (Man, you have no idea how psyched I was to see Rosalina here)

The Desperado
06-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Here's mine if any wants to add.

5456-0054-3935

Cloral
06-06-2008, 12:41 PM
Ok, I've added all of you. My code again is 4468-1588-3993.

Pineconn
06-07-2008, 09:09 PM
I've added you three. I'm sure the game will register you guys whenever it knows that you added me.

Matteo
06-07-2008, 11:54 PM
Yeah I haven't been on much lately, been so busy.
But I'm going to jump on now and add Amaster, Pineconn, and Desperado

Also if haven't added me yet, please do! (I'm looking at you Warlock)

Anyway, I hope more people do the time trials because I looked forward to racing against other's ghosts. Only a few people have actually raced the trials at all, and I need more competition!

erm2003
06-08-2008, 11:39 AM
I have updated everyone now so make sure you add me too.

0688-5692-4432

Pineconn
06-08-2008, 11:27 PM
Erm, you're "Erick", right? For about 3 weeks now it says you haven't done any time trials. I'm just wondering if you haven't or if it's a glitch.

erm2003
06-09-2008, 05:41 AM
Yeah that's me. I haven't been playing much over the past few weeks. By the end of the month I hope my play time increases as summer hits. I have done some time trials though, mainly the new Mario course. Matt and I have been going back and forth with that one, but I think he royally kicked my time in the latest trial I have so I have yet to match it.

Matteo
06-10-2008, 12:38 PM
Time trials are quite fun, I wish more were into them.

Pineconn
06-10-2008, 07:23 PM
I have no time trials for Erick or Da Phire, so I don't know. I know that the system works, since I have another friend's.

Cloral
06-10-2008, 07:46 PM
That's odd, as I've done several to learn how to race some of the courses better.

erm2003
06-10-2008, 11:48 PM
Do you have to choose to send them once they are completed? I think if you don't do that then it will save them locally for you but no one else can pull them up.

Matteo
06-13-2008, 12:50 AM
I've never chosen to send them or anything, they just automatically are posted I think. Maybe it has something to do with your Mario Kart Channel options/settings?

I definitely have times for people, just most haven't actually raced most courses via time trial...