PDA

View Full Version : SotW has started as of Monday, April 14, 2008!

Pineconn
04-10-2008, 05:13 PM
That is, this is when we will be accepting submissions. SotW will end and begin again every Monday. Therefore, the first poll will be April 21, and the first winner will be April 28.

Monday sounds good, right?

(This is a temporary thread.)

Joe123
04-10-2008, 05:20 PM
What time GMT?

Pineconn
04-10-2008, 05:50 PM
It doesn't matter at all. As long as we change ballots every Monday, everything will go smoothly.

I hope.

Joe123
04-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Oh right ok.

Cause I'm fine to do Mondays, but it'll be sorta 10-11pm GMT most likely, and I dunno what time that is in whatever time zone everyone else is in.

How are we going to do it?
Like on a rota or summat?
You do it this week, then Amaster next week, then me the week after and then continue like that?

Gleeok
04-10-2008, 11:11 PM
So 10-11 GMT is like 2-6 in the US I believe. Anyone get any submissions yet?

Joe123
04-11-2008, 11:48 AM
Yeah, I think so.
Obviously it's different East and West coast though.

I think I better submit a screen.
Hrms.

Might just knock up a random one for it, I haven't actually produced any screens in 2 weeks or something.
I've been scripting and sorting out functionality and things.

Pineconn
04-11-2008, 03:02 PM
What time GMT?

Every single time I read "GMT", I think to myself "Gander Mountain Time" -> "Mountain Standard Time". :rolleyes:

So yeah, it would happen later in the day for you, I suppose.

Joe123
04-11-2008, 03:10 PM
Gander Mountain Time?

GMT is Greenwich Mean Time.

Pineconn
04-14-2008, 09:27 PM
So..... how 'bout that SotW? Anyone planning on submitting anything?

Gleeok
04-14-2008, 09:31 PM
Oops...I forgot. >_< ...How many shots do we have so far?

..I could send you guys one.

Pineconn
04-14-2008, 09:37 PM
Zero. :p

I was thinking about making a shot as well. Then again, I sort of suck at determining overworld aesthetic.

Gleeok
04-14-2008, 09:59 PM
Zero. :p

Ahahahaa! wtf

Alright lets improvise. I have to go now, but I'll send Amaster and Joe a shot a bit later, you throw together something for them and then they'll maybe add one. Someone else might read this before tomorrow and contribute also.

Best sotw ever. :laughing:

The_Amaster
04-14-2008, 10:33 PM
Reminds me: Pineconn, any chance we can get an announcement on the main ZC page?

Shazza Dani
04-14-2008, 10:59 PM
I guess I'll put a shot in. Who do I send it to?

Pineconn
04-14-2008, 10:59 PM
I guess I'll put a shot in. Who do I send it to?

Clicky. (http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/showthread.php?t=102105)

Reminds me: Pineconn, any chance we can get an announcement on the main ZC page?

No. (http://zeldaclassic.armageddongames.net/index.php) ;)

Shazza Dani
04-14-2008, 11:12 PM
Sent. =]

Pineconn
04-14-2008, 11:20 PM
Received. :)

I just thought of a good idea which should make SotW a lot more efficient.

We should ask DD permission to create a dummy member, called "SotW", to whom people will send all screenshots. All SotW managers will get the password to the member in order to view the screenshots. This is so that all the screenshots go to one place instead of all over (and that we don't get bothered with several PMs a day). Of course, we will post all SotW threads with our regular usernames. Likey?

Gleeok
04-15-2008, 12:12 AM
Sounds like good idea. I'm throwing something together right now...I just love last minute stuff.

Joe123
04-15-2008, 02:44 AM
I'm...

Going to be really lazy and submit something from ages ago =P

Heh, apparently Russ' inbox is full =P

Gleeok
04-15-2008, 02:55 AM
Ooh! Can I be lazy too and submit a screen from YOUR quest? I'll win for sure.. :p

...jk, I'm fixing the damn palette right now. I'll just send it to you then.

edit; alright I sent it. That should make at least 4.

Joe123
04-15-2008, 12:16 PM
Hahahahahhahahahahah =P

Submit a screen from my quest?

hahahahahhaha =P

Yeah sure if you want to =P

My screen isn't from my current quest though.

Well, I currently have 3 screens (including my own).
How are we starting this then?
We're well into the 15th now >_<

Gleeok
04-15-2008, 04:52 PM
I don't know. What's the deal? Anyone else want to send one to get it started?

bobrocks95
04-15-2008, 04:54 PM
mighty_darknut sent me his, though I haven't received any others.

Joe123
04-15-2008, 04:54 PM
Well we've had a bit of a problem with who's running it and whatnot, so I didn't really want to just post it without seeing who's meant to be running it.
Also, you said we should have 4 screens and I only have 3.

bobrocks95
04-15-2008, 04:56 PM
You and Amaster are the main ones running SotW, while me and Russ are the main ones running Gemstone. However, it appears that 2 people aren't following the rules and are just sending screenshots to a couple people, instead of all of us.

Joe123
04-15-2008, 04:57 PM
I sent mine to you =S

EDIT: Oh, no I didn't apparently.
I did write a PM, must've forgot to press send or summat, cause it's not in my outbox >_<

bobrocks95
04-15-2008, 04:58 PM
Hmmm... Weird... The only thing in my inbox that has anything to do with SotW is from darknut.... And it's not full or anything. Did you send it recently?

Joe123
04-15-2008, 05:00 PM
Oh!
I sent it, then it said 'russadwan's inbox is currently full'.

I thought that meant '... and we'll send it to everyone else though', but apparently it didn't >_<

bobrocks95
04-15-2008, 05:02 PM
When does he come back? The 17th?

Joe123
04-15-2008, 05:03 PM
Yus

Sam Atoms
04-15-2008, 05:20 PM
Do these submissions have to be from things we are working on currently?

I have a screenshot worthy of the competition, even though I haven't touched the quest it's from in almost 3 years. It's a nifty scene though.

Joe123
04-15-2008, 05:26 PM
Ok, heed this everyone:

You can submit whatever you like for this

So long as it is a ZC screen

So what if you haven't worked on it for 3 years?
It's still a screen.
It's not the 'Screenshotofwhatyou'recurrentlyworkingonoftheweek ' competition.

So yes =)

Gleeok
04-15-2008, 05:27 PM
You and Amaster are the main ones running SotW, while me and Russ are the main ones running Gemstone. However, it appears that 2 people aren't following the rules and are just sending screenshots to a couple people, instead of all of us.

I sent mine to the three that would be posting the sotw. :p Sorry, I couldn't remember your username exactly.

The_Amaster
04-15-2008, 05:44 PM
Okay yeah,
SotW::Amaster42, Joe123, Pineconn
Gemstone: Bobrocks95, Russadwan, Pineconn

Pineconn
04-15-2008, 06:37 PM
I think that we have three entries at this moment... with several days to go! See, this is why it is necessary to have a single place to where screens are sent. Everything seems disorganized right now.

bobrocks95
04-15-2008, 06:42 PM
While the idea sounds good and I think we should do it, we wouldn't be so unorganized if people were sure to send their screenshots to everyone working the Expo.

Gleeok
04-15-2008, 06:42 PM
I think that we have three entries at this moment... with several days to go! See, this is why it is necessary to have a single place to where screens are sent. Everything seems disorganized right now.

Several days? I thought it was yesterday...And why not just open a new account named SOTW? It's not like you're going to get banned...What did DD say?

Shazza Dani
04-15-2008, 07:05 PM
Maybe there's too many people trying to run this thing. >_<

bobrocks95
04-15-2008, 07:46 PM
2 people per event, plus one person to be... The official, I guess. You have to have two people in case one is unavailable at the time.

Joe123
04-16-2008, 02:52 AM
Yah.

So we have enough entrants, how are we doing it Amaster?
A rota?

You can do this week and I'll do next?
Then Pineconn if he wants?

And shall we change the starting day to a wednesday or just start late this week?

bobrocks95
04-16-2008, 04:36 PM
I don't think that's necessary. According to the thread, SUBMISSIONS start this week, with the first voting thread on the 21, and the first official winner on the 28. No need to change anything.

Joe123
04-16-2008, 04:47 PM
Oh, oops =P

I thought it was meant to start on the 14th, and we were running really late >_<

Gleeok
04-16-2008, 07:55 PM
Oh, oops =P

I thought it was meant to start on the 14th, and we were running really late >_<

That's what I though too....

SotW has started as of Monday, April 14, 2008!

After that you just stop reading I guess.

Revfan9
04-16-2008, 08:11 PM
Guess I should throw a shot together, eh?

Pineconn
04-16-2008, 08:17 PM
Considering some the shots you pull off, you could easily win at least half of the SotW contests.

I think I'm going to sit this one out, considering that we already have four screenies.

So we have enough entrants, how are we doing it Amaster?
A rota?

You can do this week and I'll do next?
Then Pineconn if he wants?

Good point, I never thought of how we would post them. Well... I suppose we could do it "first come, first serve", but you have a several hour jump on the competition. :)

Revfan9
04-16-2008, 08:19 PM
lol

Just hope this doesn't turn into PZC's old SotWs.

Pineconn
04-16-2008, 08:33 PM
Really? What was wrong with them?

Revfan9
04-16-2008, 09:26 PM
Considering my extreme hate for PZC (Which I'm sure I don't need to explain), I want to go on a really long and boring rant on that question, but I don't feel like typing all of that, so I'm giving the short version.

1. Popularity contest. If your name is "DarkFlameWolf" or "NoeL", you can enter any piece of shit that you want and people will vote for you.

2. Sheep site. The first opinion tends to be the only opinion. Almost always, the contest was decided within the first couple of hours. The first one to get a couple of votes ahead is the one that gets the massive flood of votes soon afterward. You have a few people who will actually be honest, but nowhere near enough to cancel out all of the dumb fucks who just follow what everyone else said like Lemmings.

Joe123
04-17-2008, 02:42 AM
Good point, I never thought of how we would post them. Well... I suppose we could do it "first come, first serve", but you have a several hour jump on the competition. :)

Yah, let's have a rota =P
Who wants to go first?

And I thought it was Relic who used to win every week?

Russ
04-17-2008, 10:35 AM
1. Popularity contest. If your name is "DarkFlameWolf" or "NoeL", you can enter any piece of shit that you want and people will vote for you.

2. Sheep site. The first opinion tends to be the only opinion. Almost always, the contest was decided within the first couple of hours. The first one to get a couple of votes ahead is the one that gets the massive flood of votes soon afterward. You have a few people who will actually be honest, but nowhere near enough to cancel out all of the dumb fucks who just follow what everyone else said like Lemmings.
You know what's funny, NoeL won Screenshot of the Year 2007. :)

Although, I do somewhat agree. At Pure ZC, the screenshot that gets the first vote almost always wins.

And on a side note, could somebody plrease explain what was decided about SotW? I was reading the rules, and saw that submissions are supposed toi be sent to Pineconn, Amaster, Joe, Bobrocks, and me. So, who is the one who creates the SotW thread?

Revfan9
04-17-2008, 03:22 PM
Yah, let's have a rota =P
Who wants to go first?

And I thought it was Relic who used to win every week?

Pretty much every week he entered, yes. But that's not the point, at least Relic usually deserved his wins. It's when badly made Pure Tileset JPG shots with a horrid custom palette win...

Pineconn
04-17-2008, 03:47 PM
And on a side note, could somebody plrease explain what was decided about SotW? I was reading the rules, and saw that submissions are supposed to be sent to Pineconn, Amaster, Joe, Bobrocks, and me. So, who is the one who creates the SotW thread?

You and bobrocks are running Gemstone, and Amaster and Joe123 are running SotW. We'll be setting up a new user account specifically for Amaster, Joe, and myself (called "SotW") so we can manage the submissions more efficiently. We're having the screenshots be sent to all five of us temporarily.

Shazza Dani
04-17-2008, 04:30 PM
You know what's funny, NoeL won Screenshot of the Year 2007. :)

Although, I do somewhat agree. At Pure ZC, the screenshot that gets the first vote almost always wins.

And on a side note, could somebody plrease explain what was decided about SotW? I was reading the rules, and saw that submissions are supposed toi be sent to Pineconn, Amaster, Joe, Bobrocks, and me. So, who is the one who creates the SotW thread?

NoeL deserved to win, his screens are always amazing. It's people like DFW, Linkus, and Shoelace who are guarunteed to win even if their screens are sub-par.

Russ
04-17-2008, 04:33 PM
Because we don't have a box at the main page for SotW, how about this: We make a thread called "Current SotW". It is just one post, and always contains the current SotW, and it's captions, and nothing else. Each week, we just edit the post to take the old SotW out and put the new one in. How does that sound?

Linkus
04-17-2008, 05:32 PM
NoeL deserved to win, his screens are always amazing. It's people like DFW, Linkus, and Shoelace who are guarunteed to win even if their screens are sub-par.

Um, that's changed since then. You see, everyone now votes more wisely; I know, because my picture lost to LostInHyru1e's shot in SoTW 201:

Mine--
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/7395/linkusiv0.gif
LiH's--
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z215/LostInHyrule/zelda261.jpg

Also, Relic has quit posting in SoTW, after being blamed for the constant stream of poorly designed shots that had above-average graphics. I can't blame him though; I'd do the same if I knew that I worked hard on everything in that shot to some together correctly in design, and others bash it by simply having shots with poor design and above-average graphics. I should know, as I am guilty myself, but I was younger then.

Also, sub-par?? How is the picture below sub-par, then? I got a 10 from Nathaniel in his review...:
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6011/sotw187ea6.gif

Shazza Dani
04-17-2008, 05:40 PM
Your graphics are nice, but I wouldn't vote for that shot. There's absolutely nothing there. No player, no npcs, no subscreen. Why don't you just draw one player tile and use the LoZ subscreen so your shots at least look complete?

Revfan9
04-17-2008, 05:44 PM
Dear God, it's even worse now then when I left.

How does an empty, repetitive basic DoR shot win against an empty, but beautifully drawn shot?

Oh yeah, it's PZC. I forgot.

Shazza Dani
04-17-2008, 05:55 PM
I think some people have decided not to vote for a shot if it isn't at least taken in Zelda Classic. Which I agree with.

Revfan9
04-17-2008, 06:10 PM
But why? It's a screenshot contest. Bringing anything else other than how good the shot looks is illogical and anything other than the eye-candyness of the shot is completely irrelevant. Not voting for a superior shot for the sole reason that it wasn't taken in the player makes just about as much sense as saying "I played that demo, but I didn't like the music in that area, so I'm not voting for that screenshot no matter how good it is."

Shazza Dani
04-17-2008, 06:14 PM
Not exactly. The music doesn't effect the way it looks. The lack of player, npcs, and/or enemies makes a screen look boring and unappealing.

Russ
04-17-2008, 07:08 PM
I got to say, I love having SotW entries sent to me. That way, I can see if my shot stands a chance in the contest before I enter it, find out it's the worst one entrered, and get humiliated.

Shoelace
04-17-2008, 07:10 PM
Okay, look. I don't agree with the whole your name sells the vote thing because in my opinion it doesn't. You said that I always win SotW at PureZC, and that is BS, you didn't do your research, I have the worst win-loss record at PureZC. I have like 30 losses. And you say that NoeL didn't deserve those wins, he did. Every time he won, he deserved to win. His screens was honestly better. You may say sub-par but in the popular vote did go to the screen for a reason, and it isn't name. The people that win a lot of good design, don't hate them because they have good skills. And Revfan, I remember your posts at PureZC, and I disagreed with you on everything. You said that not one of DFW's screens are good because she doesn't know how to use the Pure Tileset. So come on, now.

Anyways, I wish this SotW thing luck. I am SotW manager at PureZC so we will be feuding. j/k But just remember, the winner will be the best pic that amused the majority, not the name of the person. I just hope the PureZC hating stops... Can't we all just get along? lol

Russ
04-17-2008, 07:53 PM
I just hope the PureZC hating stops... Can't we all just get along? lol
I hope so too. It seems like both forums just hate each other sometimes. And I have a bad feeling the AGN SotW and Gemstone will both stir up feelings between the two forums even more.

The_Amaster
04-17-2008, 07:57 PM
If this were a sitcom, it would be at this point that the flashback episode would begin about how these two once good friends became enemies.

Pineconn
04-17-2008, 08:06 PM
This is a funny thread. :p

So far we have a submission from Blaman, Joe123, Gleeok, Sam Atoms, and Mighty Darknut. If you submitted a screen to one of us and your name is not on this list, please let us know.

Shoelace
04-17-2008, 08:06 PM
lol. PureZC and AGN used to be neighborhood friends. They would learn lessons together and give advice to one another. XD No but really, I don't think AGN and PureZC are enemies, they just have a different group of people. I say once ZC 2.5 is released we will all be holding hands again. lol.

bobrocks95
04-17-2008, 08:07 PM
*AGN bumps into Pure. "Hey man, you dropped your ice cream on me!" Pure shouts in an angry tone. "Well it's not my fault you're so fat!" AGN says while sobbing somewhat over the loss of his triple-scoop cone. "This means war!" Pure screams as he storms out of the store.*

Shazza Dani
04-17-2008, 08:15 PM
lol. PureZC and AGN used to be neighborhood friends. They would learn lessons together and give advice to one another. XD No but really, I don't think AGN and PureZC are enemies, they just have a different group of people. I say once ZC 2.5 is released we will all be holding hands again. lol.

Except the people who are banned from PureZC... >_>

Revfan9
04-17-2008, 08:42 PM
Or PZC will finish it's slow death, and AGN's ZC forums will continue to be dead.

Russ
04-17-2008, 09:38 PM
If this were a sitcom, it would be at this point that the flashback episode would begin about how these two once good friends became enemies.
People like Revfan came along. And then some people just left AGN entirerly because Pure ZC was more active.

On a side note, I just submitted a screenshot.

Revfan9
04-17-2008, 09:47 PM
I probably won't be submitting something this week, ZC is boring me too much right now to really do anything.

Russ
04-17-2008, 09:49 PM
I probably won't be submitting something this week, ZC is boring me too much right now to really do anything.
Just submit one of your older ones. You have millions of good ones.

Plissken
04-20-2008, 11:13 PM
I submitted, hopefully not to late. Just a shot from Ancient Memories, mainly entered just to be part of the very first one here. :P

Good luck to everyone.

Pineconn
04-20-2008, 11:17 PM
Not too late at all. Anyone can still submit for SotW 1 until the thread is made tomorrow.

Revfan9
04-21-2008, 12:22 AM
Just submit one of your older ones. You have millions of good ones.

Meh, why not? Lemme just dig through my Photobucket to find something I'm willing to show off atm...

LostInHyru1e
04-22-2008, 12:27 PM
Question: Why the heck can't we take the screenshots in ZQuest and crop them? I've always preferred that method.

EDIT:

Wait, what was that about me on the last page? *Checks* Hey look, there's my winter shot! :) I still think Linkus's was better than mine. Despite the not gameplay shot, Linkus obviously put more work into his.

Freedom
05-13-2008, 09:52 AM
Looks like this is going to be about as dependable as it was on purezc.

Shazza Dani
05-13-2008, 01:42 PM
Looks like this is going to be about as dependable as it was on purezc.

How true. *cries*

The_Amaster
05-13-2008, 05:12 PM
Whoop! Sorry guys.

Pineconn
05-24-2008, 10:55 PM
I blame the Wii. You can send your complaints to Nintendo via e-mail. :p

Once Brawl and Mario Kart lose their factor of amazingness (which may still be for a few weeks), I'll become more active.