PDA

View Full Version : Super Mario Bros. in Javascript

Warlock
04-09-2008, 03:12 PM
http://blog.nihilogic.dk/2008/04/super-mario-in-14kb-javascript.html

Now THAT is impressive. It's 100% javascript, apparently even the graphics are all rendered via Javascript's drawing classes.

Aliem
04-09-2008, 03:44 PM
Jeeze. That's really impressive. I hope they work on this some more... =)

ctrl-alt-delete
04-09-2008, 04:20 PM
Haha.

When mario dies, you can make the sprite keep jumping.

Skulkraken
04-09-2008, 04:36 PM
Nice. I found another Mario game a couple days ago.

http://www.mojang.com/notch/mario/ - It's a Mario game with randomly generated levels. Fun, if a bit monotonous. Also, watch out for flying spinies...

MottZilla
04-09-2008, 05:16 PM
Maybe it's my browser, but that was painfully slow. You're better off using that NES emulator written in Java. I wasn't impressed at all. It wasn't accurate at all.

Revfan9
04-09-2008, 05:47 PM
Yeah, the controls just felt insanely slippery and it seemed like it took a full second to redraw the screen whenever anything changed, I was afraid it would give me a seizure @_@

Not only that, but it's just the first level. It's more like a tech demo than it is something you can actually play. I do understand that it's most likely incomplete, but still.

It's a cute attempt (Because SMB hasn't been made in a Flash/Java version 80 billion times), but as Mott said, there's no reason not to just use an emulator.

Aliem
04-09-2008, 05:50 PM
I think the point of the demo is it's written completely in javascript. It's not meant to be a clone. It's just a developer's attempt to prove an entire game, graphics, sound and all, can be written from scratch in javascript.

*shrug*

Dann Woolf
04-14-2008, 02:26 PM
I hope whoever made this keeps working on it.

Warlock
04-14-2008, 02:39 PM
I think the point of the demo is it's written completely in javascript. It's not meant to be a clone. It's just a developer's attempt to prove an entire game, graphics, sound and all, can be written from scratch in javascript.

*shrug*

Exactly, I don't know why you would care that it's not perfect. It's not meant to be played so much as it's meant to show that it can be done.

Honestly, it's just impressive they were able to achieve this using javascript.

MottZilla
04-14-2008, 09:20 PM
I guess, but I can't stop seeing it as, wow that's an impressively large TURD. I didn't know you could make a turd that large in Javascript.

Nicholas Steel
04-14-2008, 11:40 PM
The game runs fine here and draws each frame instantly in both Firefox 3 beta 5 and IE 7. The controls are a bit dodgy since left+right+up don't work that well on my keyboard, but aside from that, it worked fine if you don't mind them not including the pipe you can go down and both power ups. plus the lack of a flag pole or castle at the end :P

Warlock
04-15-2008, 12:15 PM
I guess, but I can't stop seeing it as, wow that's an impressively large TURD. I didn't know you could make a turd that large in Javascript.

It is by no means a complete clone or anything, it's not even an entire level and several key things are missing, such as mushrooms, Koopas and stuff. It was merely done as a sort of proof-of-concept and to see how small it could get.

Edit 2: Also, those of you complaining about the faithfulness of this implementation or how it's not complete are really missing the point of this excersize.

I really don't see the reason why you'd insult someone else's work because "omg it's not 100% accurate." I guess you have to be a javascript programmer to understand how impressive it is despite lacking a few small elements... :shrug:

MottZilla
04-15-2008, 04:43 PM
Well, I don't mean to be harsh. But for one the person isn't on this forum. Right? Also, as a gamer that IS my opinion. As I programmer, I'll give them some respect for accomplishing that in javascript. But this is general gaming, not a game development or programming forum so I was posting my views as a gamer.