PDA

View Full Version : The Official Star Trek Thread

rock_nog
04-09-2008, 01:38 PM
Alright, this is getting out of control. We have WAY too much Star Trek discussion going on in ASWGL. Star Trek and getting laid are polar opposites - we keep this up any more, the entire forum could collapse in on itself. So, in a desperate attempt to save humanity, I am starting a thread here to try to pull us out of this spiral toward the Trek Event Horizon. Oh, and just for fun, here are some Star Trek bloopers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv-qBPzW-DY

Feasul
04-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Star Trek and getting laid are polar opposites

I thought I dispelled that rumor.

Ok, if we're gonna talk Star Trek, how about the new movie coming out? Karl Urban as Bones and Simon Pegg as Scotty? Some interesting cast choices there. Don't get me wrong, I love them both, but I just never would have seen that coming.

The_Amaster
04-09-2008, 05:00 PM
I loooove the trailer to the new movie. I see good movie trailers as an art form, and that...that was just amazing.

That...thats all I have to say...

DarkDragoonX
04-09-2008, 07:17 PM
We have WAY too much Star Trek discussion going on in ASWGL.

Wait, what?

So I guess that means it's true what they say about Vulcans with big ears?

Icey
04-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Nah, it's nothing like that. The whole argument can be summarized in pieces of this thread, mainly:

Star Trek and getting laid are polar opposites

I thought I dispelled that rumor.

I am very inclined to agree with rock_nog on this as his case has far greater evidence, and applies to a larger sample population than Feasul's.

Anyway, I never really watched any of the Star Trek moves except some of the ones from TOS. That being said, TOS TV episodes always seemed really lame and crappy to me. I've seen much of TNG, and really enjoyed what I saw, and some of Voyager, which I didn't think was epic but at least entertaining (this does not apply to Neelix, in that he is one of the most terrible characters ever).

Deep Space Nine appears to have no soul to me. Ferengi are annoying as shit and Quark sucks big-time. The big "politics religion" thing is overplayed and not well done. These are obviously my opinions, and you can feel free to disagree, but yeah, I never liked DS9.

rock_nog
04-09-2008, 09:14 PM
Whoa whoa whoa, did you just diss DS9? What the hell? No way man, it had lots of soul. And personally, I love Ferengi. Personally, I was never really much of a fan of Voyager. Just never liked any of the characters.

Icey
04-09-2008, 09:19 PM
My opinions might not be well-founded. I know DS9 has long plot lines that run across multiple episodes and I haven't watched that many (and the ones I have seen, I haven't seen in order). And I have seen at least one episode that I really loved (the one where O'Brien is working undercover in a mob/crime-syndicate).

But yeah, I still have to say Ferengi are extremely annoying to me. They're very one dimensional and everything from their body movements to the way they speak just makes me want to change the channel.

rock_nog
04-09-2008, 09:28 PM
See, part of the reason I love the Ferengi so much is how much they were developed over the series.

The_Amaster
04-09-2008, 09:45 PM
Original and Next Gen are the only ones I really watch, although TOS more to mock and make fun of just about everything in it.

Voyager and DS9, meh. Both alright, both not really my thing.

Feasul
04-10-2008, 12:56 AM
See, part of the reason I love the Ferengi so much is how much they were developed over the series.

Absolutely. Part of the reason the Ferengi are so annoying is because that's how they were originally concieved by the Rod-man himself. They were originally intended to be the main bad guys in TNG, but after the first few episodes they appeared in it became clear that they weren't menacing or scary enough, so they came up with the Borg.
What's awesome in DS9 is how they took that 1-dimensional race and gave them all these cultural revolution-type events to make them more interesting. (The wormhole made for a very convenient plot device in this regard, at one point even using one of the orbs to brainwash the Grand Nagus into rewriting the Rules of Aquisition to be more generous and kind.)

Also, TNG and DS9 are almost so different that it's hard to classify them as part of the same continuum of shows. TNG follows TOS style in that it's episodic. One episode, one plot, one social commentary. Next episode, next plot, next social commentary. DS9, on the other hand, is a true scifi series. It has a long-running plot and antagonist (Cardassians + Dominion) and more in-depth character development, at least as far as I see. Both series are amazing at what they do, they're just doing different things.