PDA

View Full Version : MMO update

rock_nog
04-08-2008, 10:45 PM
Whelp, I'm now officially a WoW addict. I signed up for a trial account about a week ago, and I loved it so much that I went and upgraded to the full version. I know I posted a few weeks ago about debating between WoW and City of Heroes, and though I had officially decided on City of Heroes, as it turns out, it wouldn't work with the campus network here (grrr, hate this stupid network - only a month left, only a month left), so I decided to go with WoW instead. I gotta admit, I'm really loving it, a lot more than I did City of Heroes, even though I've never been a fan of the whole "fantasy" setting.

Right away, I can say there's one advantage WoW has that City of Heroes can never hope to compete with - I can buy a kitty! So very close... Just a few more silver... Oh sure, I should probably be spending that money on upgrades and such, but damnit, I want a kitty!

There is one issue I have with WoW, though... But it's really an issue I have with most MMOs. Okay, so I start playing, and right away, I'm assigned a quest to go assassinate a thief. I get to the thief's hideout, and I swear to God, there was like a queue of 3 or 4 people waiting their turn to kill and decapitate the thief. I mean, I understand the reasoning behind it all, but damnit, I really just wish sometimes that something I did actually impacted the world. I just hate that, no matter how many mobs you kill, you can never wipe out an enemy presence in an area completely. Yeah, I get that other players have to be able to kill those mobs, too, but eh, it's just frustrating to never feel like anything you do actually matters to the world at large.

ShadowTiger
04-08-2008, 10:52 PM
I'm playing on a private server, (Free to play, and you can easily play just by doing two things, assuming you're not on 2.4, and are on 2.3.3.) and I have to say, it's a lot more peaceful than on retail. There's far less waiting. You still have to earn your keep, but everything happens faster, depending on the rates. (Private servers can have different experience rates, gold / item drop rates, skill raise rates, etc.)

So you're a human. What class are you then? :]

rock_nog
04-08-2008, 10:53 PM
Actually, I'm alternating between a paladin and a mage. Honestly, I like 'em both, so it's hard for me to just go with one.

Beldaran
04-08-2008, 11:20 PM
it's just frustrating to never feel like anything you do actually matters to the world at large.

Trust me. Nothing you do in an MMO will ever matter to the world at large.

EDIT: Also, Paladins are gay ass bitches.

Archibaldo
04-08-2008, 11:21 PM
At the begging its like that but eventually you can get to the point where you can drop world bosses that take days to respawn. And the end game dungeons are epic.

Beldaran
04-08-2008, 11:21 PM
Also, fuck the god damned alliance.

rock_nog
04-08-2008, 11:35 PM
Well I don't care, 'cause damnit, I got my kitty. Dropped 36 silver for the damn thing, but it's adorable. Of course, I'd prefer to have a kitty in real life, but at the moment, this is the best I can do.

Feasul
04-09-2008, 03:52 AM
Congrats on the kitty. I wouldn't worry too much about not making an impact in the world. Eventually you'll get to some good instanced quests that'll make you feel like you're actually accomplishing something. :tongue:
ST, where do you play?

Breaker
04-09-2008, 04:01 AM
http://i32.tinypic.com/2vryal5.jpg

Here's a pic of my hunter. I rarely play him anymore though. I started a bluecow shaman awhile back and he's almost level 70 now. Amber plays a hunter as well on my account. We're on the server Area 52.

ShadowTiger
04-09-2008, 06:34 AM
Damn he's a fine Hunter, 'ach. He looks like he can get it done with the best of 'em. ;)

I have a level 90 (!?!?!) Human Rogue, on the DemonicWoW Private Server. I'm in full Tier 6 for a Rogue, (Slayer's Armor.) with a Level 37'ish Blood Elf Hunter, and a Level 19'ish Draenei Paladin.

Personally, I love the Rogue class. There's nothing more intimate than going toe to toe with anything and almost never, ever getting hit. Of course, with only 4,060 armor, when you do get hit, it hurts like the proverbial dickens, but it's an acceptable loss, considering I simply hit the "revive" Macro on my skillbar to go right to half health and 75 energy.

Damn GMs. ;)

mikeron
04-21-2008, 02:53 AM
I'm playing on a private server, (Free to play, and you can easily play just by doing two things, assuming you're not on 2.4, and are on 2.3.3.) and I have to say, it's a lot more peaceful than on retail. There's far less waiting. You still have to earn your keep, but everything happens faster, depending on the rates. (Private servers can have different experience rates, gold / item drop rates, skill raise rates, etc.)

So you're a human. What class are you then? :]

Actually, WoWScape is running 2.4, but it's kind of buggy, and on private servers you need to pay more attention to stamina and resilience, on account of all those Russian fuckers stacking Ambush.

rock_nog, instead of waiting in a queue to kill somebody, it's much quicker if everyone groups.

OK, threadjacking time. With the changes to Warlocks in 2.4, specifically those found here (http://www.wowwiki.com/Incinerate#Notes), will we see a bunch more locks wearing Wrath of Spellfire (http://www.wowhead.com/?itemset=552)? I know that this is a deep, intriguing rumination, so I won't expect hasty replies. Also, Affliction ftw.