PDA

View Full Version : Pick your poison

rock_nog
04-05-2008, 06:14 PM
I know this has been done before, and it's a bit cliche, but Mooie's thread got me to wondering - for all the alkies here, what's your favorite form of alcohol? Actually, part of the reason I'm wondering is because my tastes have changed so much over the years. I used to just be a big fan of mixed drinks with hard liquor, like rum & coke. Then I moved on to beer, which was funny because I used to absolutely hate and detest beer, and I never imagined there'd be a day that I'd drink it willingly. Recently, though, my tastes have changed again, and I find myself preferring wine. Specifically Merlot, actually, mainly because of that stupid-ass movie "Sideways," and the main character's hatred of Merlot. Not that I actually saw the movie or anything, I just couldn't believe that so many people are so sheep-like that a movie changed their wine preferences. Utterly ridiculous!

On a side note, what's your least favorite form of alcohol? Myself, the worst thing I've ever had was this pumpkin-flavored liqueur. I may have mentioned it before, but pumpkin and alcohol absolutely do not mix! It was death in a bottle, and drunkenness did absolutely nothing to improve the taste. Oh, and just for the record, recently, just for the heck of it, I decided to try Homer Simpson's "Skittle Beer." I gotta say, not a pleasant experience - though to be fair, it was some really piss-poor beer I was using, and with actual decent beer, it might not be half bad. I'll have to look into that.

Archibaldo
04-05-2008, 06:17 PM
Favorite: Beer, Coors Light.

Least Favorite: Jeager Bombs made with an entire can of beer instead of half a can of Red Bull. It took two of those Jeager Nukes as I call 'em to realize I hate them. Now, when ever I smell Jeagermeister I feels nauseous.

erm2003
04-05-2008, 06:20 PM
My tastes vary. When I go out I do beer when I don't plan on drinking much because I don't like to have more than a few. If I know I can drink more (and I'm not driving) I will sometimes go with mixed drinks instead. I can have more of those than beer so that can get me pretty messed up.

Top beer for me - I like Blue a lot (a nod to our Canadian friends). Mixed drinks are a wide range from Jack and Coke, Capitan and Coke, to the occasional Screw Driver or other things along those lines. Can't leave out the Long Island Iced Tea either. Those are damn good.

phattonez
04-05-2008, 06:20 PM
Rum is my favorite by far. I can drink that stuff straight or mixed with anything. It's like the perfect alcohol.

I've never really liked vodka.

DarkDragoonX
04-05-2008, 06:21 PM
My personal favorite alcohol is the kind that causes people to do amusing things within sight of my friends, so that they can tell me an entertaining story later.

My least favorite kind is the type where I actually have to be in the presence of an inebriated person.

Prrkitty
04-05-2008, 06:21 PM
If you like Merlot... try Columbia Crest ... Two vines. Hubby loves the stuff.

For Valentines day one year I bought Paul two bottles of Gundlach Bundschu Merlot Sonoma Valley - check the ratings here: http://winegeeks.com/wines/1609 <- back 4-5 years ago $25 dollars a bottle

ctrl-alt-delete
04-05-2008, 06:26 PM
Favorite Alcohol: Rum.

Disgusting: Beer and Vodka...for different reasons. Beer is gross, vodka gives trashy hangovers.

rock_nog
04-05-2008, 06:33 PM
God man, for a second I thought you meant beer and vodka mixed together! Now there's an unholy alliance right there.

Shazza Dani
04-05-2008, 06:36 PM
I don't drink alcohol. My beverage of choice is water or vegetable juice.

Icey
04-05-2008, 11:54 PM
Favorite alcohol: Two-Buck Chuck (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_buck_chuck), aka Charles Shaw. This is a pretty decent tasting wine for $2 a bottle. I don't know much about wine but I like the taste and also the price.

I also like gin. Just gin, by itself. A lot of people think this is nasty but I like it for some reason. It's also pretty good with some different mixtures of fruit juice, but I'm known for taking it down straight.

As for beer I like something like a pilsner.

Least favorite: Bacardi orange. Bad experience with this when I was younger and it tastes like shit anyway. I can't even smell the stuff without feeling queasy. Jeager is kind of gross too, I really don't understand why so many people like it. I'm okay with most other liquor and beer though.

Zaphod Q. IX
04-06-2008, 01:01 AM
Favorite: Rolling Rock (although it sucks that it was recently bought by Anheuser-Busch)

Least favorite: MD 20/20 (I feel like puking just from smelling it)

Honorable mention: Ripple (I drank this crap when I was 13) It smells like dirty feet.

Actually...my favorite is Grolsch beer...but I can't afford it all the time...so I drink Rolling Rock...which is a great beer as well. :thumbsup:

Dechipher
04-06-2008, 01:53 AM
I used to like Vodka and Mountain Dew Baja Blast, but lately I've been kicking 1 part Bombay Saphhire, 2 parts 7-Up, 2 parts multi-flavored juice. That's tasty.

Least favorite, might be either beer or rum. I definitely do not like anything coconut flavored, and I'm not a big Bacardi guy.

Lilith
04-07-2008, 12:18 AM
---

moocow
04-07-2008, 12:50 AM
Favorite Beer: Bud light or Budweiser.
Favorite Liquor: Captain Morgan's Private Stock (it's rum, fucking amazing), or Three Olives Cherry (this is cherry vodka)

Least Favorite Beer: Guinness. This makes my boyfriend sad as it's his favorite, but I just absolutely can NOT stand Guinness. It's horrid.
Least Favorite Liquor: Captain Morgan's Tattoo. It's a dark rum, almost black. I've been looking at it for a few weeks and finally bought a bottle on Friday. It is absolutely terrible. I can't even describe the taste. Maybe like, sweaty pig ass? I stopped drinking pop so I was just doing straight shots of it. I imagine it may not have been too bad if mixed with Coke, but I like to do straight shots more often than not. I will never even consider buying a bottle of this shit again. Speaking of shit, it gave me and my two other friends who drank it with me, extremely painful stomach cramps and orange liquid shits. Yeah. Gross. The buzz was good, but totally not worth THAT. Oh, my other least favorite liquor is Jose Cuervo. Jose and I had a good night a couple years ago, but the next morning I woke up to find out that he broke a bunch of my shit, then he whooped my ass in the bathroom for a couple hours... so much so that I went to work that Monday still feeling bad. In other words, I drank too much Jose, came home, accidentally broke some stuff, puked for two hours the next morning, then went to work that Monday still hung over.

Favorite Mixed Drink: Amaretto Sour

Least Favorite Mixed Drink: Long Island Iced Teas. Had a night where I drank too many of these, too. It was actually Glitch's 21st birthday. The whole night was good overall, but I went to work the next day still drunk and yucky feeling. Every time I've been near a long island iced tea since then, I get nauseous.

erm2003
04-07-2008, 05:26 AM
Guinness is only good if I am doing an Irish Car Bomb. Those are good and it's even funner when I find out afterward some of my friends can't handle them.

I forgot about Amaretto Sours! Another good one I have to add to my list too.

rock_nog
04-07-2008, 09:12 AM
Oh God, that reminds me of a story. I have some friends who went on a trip to Europe after college (myself, I could barely stomach the complete and utter cliche-ness of the whole concept, but that's neither here nor there). Anyway, at one point they visited Ireland, and went to this pub where there were some other American tourists, who were apparently frat-boy types. So, one of these frat boys goes up and order an Irish Car Bomb... The guy actually got out of the situation relatively okay - all he had to suffer was mortified stares from the entire pub.