PDA

View Full Version : Janine's 1st Quest

ms_zelda_lady
04-05-2008, 12:54 PM
Anyone going to download this new quest in the database here don't bother. It's unplayable. Comes up as not a custom quest error.
And if you are reading this Janine you might want to fix it and resubmit it.
I hope you do because I love playing classic remakes of the original.

ms_zelda_lady

erm2003
04-05-2008, 01:24 PM
:Sigh: The quest will be removed from the QDB until the author can resubmit a working qst file. Please resubmit your quest and screenshots once the error is fixed.

bobrocks95
04-05-2008, 01:48 PM
Why is it that you can't change the quest number? If you can't, why is it even there? It's been causing so much trouble lately with submitted quests, so many people changing it.

Shazza Dani
04-05-2008, 01:54 PM
I agree, the quest number option probably shouldn't be in the editor. There's absolutely no reason why it should ever be changed.

erm2003
04-05-2008, 02:06 PM
This is good point - maybe it could at least be replaced with an option to disable it if a box labeled custom quest is checked or something. I think it needs to exist for the official quests.

Shazza Dani
04-05-2008, 03:22 PM
I don't even see the point in emulating the 1st>2nd quest continuity. Those quests should just be marked as 0 like any other. I mean, when I want to play the 2nd or 3rd quest, I use an edited .qst file anyway so I don't have to beat them in order.

erm2003
04-05-2008, 03:46 PM
I am sure the 1st to 2nd thing is just to keep ZC along the lines of a more pure Z1 clone. Maybe something could be done to fix those two quests (possibly also the third quest) so that they are set like that without having to designate a number for custom quests. Hopefully a dev can be pointed in this direction. It may be something new but it would avoid a lot of the problems we have been having with the latest quest submissions.

Matthew Bluefox
04-05-2008, 06:51 PM
What number has to be entered to make it a custom quest? And sorry for the not working QST file, we'll upload it again as soon as we can, most likely tomorrow. Jane has written a German walk-through for all the new things that appear in the new version of the first quest of Jane. Once I got the answer to this "non-custom" problem, I can take care of it and ask Jane to re-upload it with the solution Word document packed in a ZIP file.

PS: I was able to play it, I renamed the original "1st.qst" to "1st_orig.qst" and the Jane version to "1st.qst", and then the Jane mod loaded automatically as the first quest. At least that's a guarantee to make it work.

erm2003
04-05-2008, 06:59 PM
Make sure the number you have for quest number is ZERO. Make sure you test it out first. If you can load and play the quest in ZC then you should be good to go.

bobrocks95
04-05-2008, 07:01 PM
It's under Quest-->Header I believe. Just change the quest number to 0, like erm said.

ms_zelda_lady
04-05-2008, 11:38 PM
Thanks for telling us how to play it. I've done levels 1, 2, 3, and 4. But I can't find level 5. I've already found levels 6, 8, and 9. BTW I tried to send Matthew Bluefox a p.m. but he's not accepting any.
Please can you tell me where it is? It's really a great remake even though I don't speak German I'm having fun anyway.
Thanks in advance,
ms_zelda_lady

Nevermind ignore this post cause I just found level 5.

Matthew Bluefox
04-06-2008, 03:16 AM
Hehe, thanks for your feedback, Zelda-Lady, and sorry about the PM blocker, I've gotta check my account settings. I didn't want to block PM's at all. Level 7 by the way is at the old location. Keep having fun, and once you're done with everything, I'd love to get more feedback, and I'll let Jane know! :)

Thanks as well for the number zero trick. I concur, the option shouldn't be in the editor at all, it's confusing a bit. I thought I set "1" because it's the first custom quest. Anyway, thanks and I'll re-upload it as a ZIP with the German walkthrough today some time.

~ Matt

Edit: Quest has been uploaded as described above. Play away. ^^

erm2003
04-06-2008, 09:09 AM
I added the quest back in so it can be downloaded again from the QDB. I also want to thank you for following the instructions and making it easy for me to process your submission!

Matthew Bluefox
04-06-2008, 09:56 AM
Thanks back for uploading it so quickly! One last question: If there is an update later on, can I do the update manually by replacing the file from the source host, or do I have to re-submit the entire quest again? Just to be sure. :)

Edit: I'm aware of a smallish bug in Level 6 ... the second boss doesn't appear and it skips directly to showing the bonus heart container item. However, in the editor, the boss is definately inserted and marked as "Dungeon Boss" and the statues are marked as "Firing", too. Strange thing.

erm2003
04-06-2008, 10:06 AM
You can send me a PM with a link if you need the file updated and I can take care of it form there.

Matthew Bluefox
04-06-2008, 10:13 AM
The link is always the same. The old file would get replaced by the new one (same name). If there's an update, I'd just tell you over PM to re-transfer the file, that's the easiest way, I think. :) Thanks again! :)

erm2003
04-06-2008, 10:33 AM
Just make sure you include the link in your PM. Now that it's in the QDB the link has been deleted from our files because your quest has been uploaded to zc.com.

Matthew Bluefox
04-06-2008, 11:24 AM
Coolies, thankies! I hope everyone is now able to play it, and I hope you won't be too disappointed with the non-working boss in Level 6.

erm2003
04-06-2008, 03:38 PM
I just updated the quest file in the database. Everyone playing this quest can download it now.

Crackers
04-08-2008, 03:29 PM
Can someone please tell me how to get past the blocks and spikes to get the key in the room with the boss door? Thanks.:)

ms_zelda_lady
04-08-2008, 03:59 PM
If you tell me what level you're on I can probably help you.

Crackers
04-08-2008, 04:02 PM
My mistake, wrong quest. I'm playing two and asked a question for the wrong one. Sorry, but thanks for the quick response. :)

Matthew Bluefox
04-09-2008, 05:02 AM
Haha, it's okay. I was already wondering what spikes you mean ... there are no spikes at all in this quest. ^^

BTW: Zeldalady, did you like Level 9? =)

ms_zelda_lady
04-09-2008, 10:01 AM
What I've seen so far i've liked. Although wallmasters aren't my favorite enemy. They've sent me back quite a few times now. But hopefully I'll have time today to finish off Ganon.

Matthew Bluefox
04-09-2008, 12:02 PM
I like Wallmasters, because they give lots of money and make the level trickier to complete. :)

Crackers
04-10-2008, 06:27 PM
Wow, lv9 is really hard. I've died twice. I hate starting back at the beginning since it's so long. It takes forever to get back to where you died. Even with the mirror shield it's hard to kill those "special" wizrobes when you have everything else coming at you. I got to 4 rooms above Ganon. Was getting thinking about that silver arrow I saw. Bummer. :(

Matthew Bluefox
04-11-2008, 01:05 PM
Yeah, in Level 9, it's not good to get caught by the purple hands at the wall. It might get frustrating otherwise. ^^ It's not impossible, I've done it with a red potion and at Ganon, I still had half of the 24 hearts full after drinking the second potion. The mirror wizzies are surely beatable, butt first you have to take care of the other enemies and avoid the grey mirror wizzies.

In the second-last room above Ganon, there will be three mirror wizzies, so be warned. *evil smile* In the last room above Ganon, there is a darknut death knight and several obstacles in the way. ;)

Matthew Bluefox
04-14-2008, 02:20 PM
Okay, ladies and gentlemen! There will be a major update for Janine's first quest! It is now all in English with a three page English hint document. We don't tell where the stuff is, butt we tell what you will encounter and how the levels look like. I have PMed the quest database manager with the updated source link, so I hope it will be available within the next few hours. :)

~ Matt

Edit: Update has been transferred!

Token
04-14-2008, 04:43 PM
What are the Blue and yellow bags in the shops for? I've bought a yellow nag but it doesn't seem to do anything. Furthermore, Are all secret caves based on the 1st quest?
Except the power Bracelet Cave, i already found that one, but all the hidden caves seem to be where they were in the 1st quest.

Matthew Bluefox
04-14-2008, 04:52 PM
Actually, have you seen any blue candle or blue ring yet? They're somewhere else. Many item locations have changed. The first three dungeons are at the same locations on the overworld. Levels 4 to 6 have moved, Levels 7 and 8 are on their old spots, and Level 9 is now closer to the starting point of the overworld.

The bags are good for carrying more rupees. Normally, you exceed at 255, butt the small bag gives you the possibility to carry up to 500 rupees, the big one gives you the possibility to carry up to the maximum of 999 rupees. You will need the big bag before you enter Level 9 since the mirror shield costs 600 rupees and if you don't have the mirror shield, you can't beat the mirror wizzrobes at the end of Level 9. ;)

There has been a small update for Level 9, there was a new bug that wasn't there before the first update. It has already been uploaded to the database, and there won't be any further update for a long time, I'm sure. :)

Matthew Bluefox
04-14-2008, 06:48 PM
Wow, I truly still am a beginner in ZQuest. I finally found out how to flip tiles horizontally and vertically, so I can finally use the correct boss doors and therefore no longer have to use the gold color to make the boss door look different to the other locked doors.

I also have somehow been able to finally cut the MIDI's and make loops without losing all the loop info after closing the MIDI window. Additionally, I have somehow managed to make the enemy fire and wind magic visible, so Link can possibly evade those attacks.

Yes, you can guess what my intention is: There will be another VERY LAST update for this quest, butt I'll post it tomorrow, not today. The source Link is always the same, so I'll just post it here and with good luck, the last version will be online by tomorrow afternoon:

http://wr2.vfusion.de/Lotz/1st_jane.zip

I'll edit this post once the update for tomorrow is through!

FerentzRocks
04-15-2008, 12:30 AM
Does it have fast scrolling now too?

Matthew Bluefox
04-15-2008, 04:53 AM
Yes, it does. And now other rules have been ticked like ladder / raft position fix (horiz. / vert.) and such stuff. There will be the last update today in the afternoon, and I'll post here (or I'll edit this post) when I've done so.

Edit: Done!

Token
04-15-2008, 11:02 AM
Are there supposed to be 2 entrances for level 9? I can't seem to find level 6 , but I can find two entrances for level 9. One 2 screens left from the start and one a screen south from the Lost Woods.

ms_zelda_lady
04-15-2008, 01:28 PM
Did you check out the Graveyard? I think that's where level 6 is. In the left side check the middle area of graves.

Token
04-15-2008, 03:32 PM
Thanks found it.

Matthew Bluefox
04-15-2008, 06:09 PM
The second Level 9 entrance has been turned into a 30 rupee bonus cave after the second update, I knew about that bug. Should be fixed in the link provided above.

Token
04-15-2008, 06:23 PM
I have found another bug, with the whistle warp, at the level 5 location you get stuck in the northwest corner of the screen.

Matthew Bluefox
04-15-2008, 06:28 PM
That bug is also fixed ... which version did you use? Pineconn has just updated the very last version, and the source link I've posted is up-to-date since today morning.

Token
04-15-2008, 06:36 PM
If you can tell how I can determine the version of the quest, I'll tell you.

Matthew Bluefox
04-16-2008, 05:25 AM
Well, the version is based on the date. The last update has been done yesterday morning, 15-04-08 and that version is on Zeldaclassic as well as on the source site. :)

Token
04-16-2008, 11:14 AM
The version I have is the one before that. Downloaded it 3 days ago. Could you help me with the level 9 bosskey?

Matthew Bluefox
04-16-2008, 05:57 PM
Sure. The boss key of Level 9 is in the very last column downwards when you enter the most north room of that last column. There are several wizzies and other strange enemies in the room. Push the far left center stone to any direction to reveal the stairs after defeating all enemies.

Once you got the boss key, you can die without getting mad for doing the entire level once again since you can skip all but the last two columns of the "Borg Cube" by using the boss key on the southern horizontal doors.

Matthew Bluefox
04-17-2008, 06:38 PM
I'd like to announce the progress of Janine's Second Quest. Once that quest will be uploaded, I'll send a small overhaul of the first quest to the QDB manager (Pineconn), so there is a better connection between quest one and two. In quest two, all levels are re-designed except Level 9 which will keep the shape of the "Borg Cube", butt it will get new enemies at most places.

For some strange reason, the fire boomerang can't be displayed in the first quest, that's one reason why I'm gonna upload a new version of the first quest once the second quest is ready for it's first official upload to the QDB which I can submit directly before it's getting accepted. :) Levels 1 to 4 are finished in the second quest, so is the overworld. The heart containers have changed slightly, it's harder to get HC's in the beginning of the game, so you will have to beat the first two levels all with the wooden sword and the green tunic.

bobrocks95
04-17-2008, 07:20 PM
You can of course link the games with an option in the header, quest number. In that case, it should make it so that the games are linked and you have to beat the first to reach the second automatically.

Matthew Bluefox
04-18-2008, 04:21 AM
Well, the problem in the first quest still is: When I reach the Zelda room, it doesn't do anything butt show the text (string). If I don't do any string like in the original quest, the game doesn't even show the string (logically) and doesn't end either. So I chose to make a string and make the Zelda room leavable to the left.

If I change the quest number to something else than zero, it's no longer a custom quest. And that's the reason why it was taken off from the QDB first.

Token
04-18-2008, 08:47 AM
Very nice first quest, really enjoyed it. Too bad I can't see the ending, but maybe in the future.

Matthew Bluefox
04-18-2008, 08:39 PM
Well, I think it's because of the "zero" quest number, so maybe it can't have an ending after all. Thanks for your feedback, Token. :)

Matthew Bluefox
04-21-2008, 09:35 AM
Could a moderator please lock this topic? I'm opening a new one because there's been a new release of both 1st and 2nd quest in one zip file, so it's a quest pack now. :)

PS: And of course once the new quest pack is validated, you can remove the first quest solo file from the QDB. Thanks. :D