PDA

View Full Version : Far back in the mists of ancient time...

rock_nog
04-05-2008, 12:02 PM
A thread in GB got me to thinking about my first memories of AGN. So I thought, hey, let's have a big ol' reminiscing party. What is everyone's first memory of AGN?

For myself, the first thing I can remember clearly (God, it was so many years ago), was a news article someone had posted about Bush's first inauguration. Those were the days, eh... Back before we knew what a creep he really was. I digress. The point is, the story was about a group of protesters who pelted his limo with vegetables and such, in reaction to the whole Florida business. Personally, I would've saved those vegetables to throw at the state of Florida, but that's just me. The article listed off things that were thrown at him, and to this day, I can't remember anything on that list except for the last one, an egg. It stuck with me then, and still does now, because I just thought it was bizarre that they would only throw one egg. Well, it's also partly the fact that I have a friend who's terrified of eggs, ever since she tried to microwave one and it exploded. But not straight away, oh no. She took it out of the microwave, and then suddenly, without warning, BOOM, egg yolk all over her room.

Zaphod Q. IX
04-05-2008, 12:11 PM
My first memory of AGN is needing an extreme amount of help with my first quest. I had screwed up just about everything that I possibly could have. So, instead of just lurking ( I had lurked for the better part of a year) and reading the ZC forums, I actually registered and asked for help. As I recall, I got help from (in no order) AlphaDawg, Dark Nation, War Lord, and even callitaday. There were many other helpful people, but those are the ones I seem to remember posting in my first few zc threads back when I was a hopeless noob. ;)

The_Amaster
04-05-2008, 12:17 PM
Yeah, my first ZC question concerned tilesets, which I had no idea where to get, but at least I had read the tutorial ;)
It wasn't until someone mentioned the beta versions, however, that I first realized there was more to the forums than that displayed on zeldaclassic.com, and started posting above in the true AGN community.

erm2003
04-05-2008, 12:52 PM
I remember I registered on the forums in May 2004 but never posted much for months. I think I finally started posting more after playing Cyclone's Rage and then I just started to get more involved with the community from there.

Archibaldo
04-05-2008, 12:52 PM
Some of the earliest things I remember at AGN was SixTen's race for 1000 posts due to a bet he made with Ichbindaswalross. Ich bet him he couldn't get to 1000 posts in one month, SixTen only got it in 3 months. Shortly after he disappeared. I don't remember much, but I'm sure if others start reminiscing it will jog my memory.

Beldaran
04-05-2008, 01:13 PM
and even callitaday.

lol god. I wonder whatever happened to that guy.

My earliest memory is my first memory. My friend showed me AGN and I registered as "reclusivefreak" and since I was an immature idiot I got banned in like 2 days. A few months later I re-registered as "Beldaran" since I'm still an immature idiot I've been baned like 5 times for periods of time ranging from 3 days to almost a year.

Why do I get banned all the time? Because when I get grumpy I act like a pompous insulting smart ass. It's awesome.

phattonez
04-05-2008, 01:41 PM
Archibaldo, I thought that SixTen got to 1000 a lot more quickly than that. I thought that it was closer to a few weeks.

But anyway, my earliest memory on AGN was trying to get Zelda Classic to run. I wasn't getting any sound so my first post involved getting help on how to configure the game. I don't really remember when I started actually posting on the community part of AGN.

ctrl-alt-delete
04-05-2008, 01:53 PM
I just posted my 1000 thread. I bet anybody here that I can hit 2000 by the end of the month. Any takers, and what are your terms?

Maybe a picture wearing only a thong?

What wants to go?

As for my earliest memory, it was the "secret project" that related to Zelda Classic, which ended up being a mapmaker program, I believe.

Everyone was freaking out over what it could be...a 3D game editor...

Anyways, I was a total noob and was pissed that nobody would tell me the ultra secret...

I sucked.

The_Amaster
04-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Heh, yeah, I remember my first "secret feature" that everyone was hyped about but no-one knew what it was...
That was Jman's "Revolution" thread before ZScript, and actually thinking about it, I think it was my first post outside of the strict ZC help forums.

phattonez
04-05-2008, 02:18 PM
Haha, all of this talk of secret projects reminds me of Project 8 or whatever that thing was called. Can't say I'm surprised that it never went anywhere.

ctrl-alt-delete
04-05-2008, 02:24 PM
Haha, all of this talk of secret projects reminds me of Project 8 or whatever that thing was called. Can't say I'm surprised that it never went anywhere.

That could have been pretty cool, but Ganonator realized that he had a big issue dealing with security threats...any multiplayer online game has that issue.

He decided it just was not worth the pursuit.

I just wish Z2E had never been moved...personally, I feel like this community could have supported it better than GU...

It has pretty much gone nowhere over there, because it is in a constant battle with all of the other projects that have gone nowhere.

We need some more programmers around here...something new and original...that actually gets worked on, and not abandoned.

That would be cool. Too bad the goKi/Solaris thing did not pan out...goKi, because he got a life. Solaris, because he was an idiot. Part of the reason of promoting them was so they could seek out projects to host.

Maybe we need an awakening of that idea again?

phattonez
04-05-2008, 02:27 PM
I thought that they were made admins just because WL was getting busy and he needed some new people in charge. I didn't know anything about them hosting new projects.

And it was worse than not panning out. It was an abysmal failure. goKi just became too cool for us and we called him out on his stupidity. I guess he was just too good for us.

rock_nog
04-05-2008, 02:34 PM
The funny thing is, I can't even remember why I signed up for the forum in the first place. Truth is, I have an extremely unphotographic memory. It's more like a drawing, or a doodle memory. I know it had something to do with Zelda Classic (obviously), but damn, I'm just just drawing a complete blank.

Oh, and it really is a shame about Z2E. I always thought that it sounded really cool (I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Zelda 2), and I really wish it hadn't fizzled out.

ctrl-alt-delete
04-05-2008, 03:04 PM
I thought that they were made admins just because WL was getting busy and he needed some new people in charge. I didn't know anything about them hosting new projects.

And it was worse than not panning out. It was an abysmal failure. goKi just became too cool for us and we called him out on his stupidity. I guess he was just too good for us.

http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/showthread.php?t=91236

goKi does not think he is too good for us. He just got out, got a life, and came back to encourage us to all do the same. I talked to him not too long ago, and he plans on returning soon. He has just been really busy. He lost a bunch of weight...I can understand how you guys would not be in support of getting a life though. :-p Reminds me of what Breaker was just saying in GB...

At least he did not ban Breaker and then freak out and ban himself.

Solaris was nuts...just like half of the other people we get around here.

In fact...what is it about this place? We are a magnet for crazy people.

phattonez
04-05-2008, 03:08 PM
No, it wasn't that. It was that he was saying stuff like going out and getting drunk all the time and then that his roommates that he looked up to so much were late in paying the bills. We told him to be wary, but he ignored us.

Plus his whole post telling us that he was leaving was pretty condescending.

erm2003
04-05-2008, 03:13 PM
He did try to tell everyone to go get a life. But I do have one. I just like to have this side of it as a way to unwind a bit. No one said it's impossible to do both. I know some people may still be sore from it but I would welcome him back.

Prrkitty
04-05-2008, 03:58 PM
I've known cyberkitten since shortly before 1998... and Zorch probably for the same. Zorch introduced me to SE (Shattered Earth) and I registered here to get help with the game.

I've come a long way since then.

DarkDragoonX
04-05-2008, 04:34 PM
I first signed up to ask a simple ZC question. Then, for no particular reason, I decided to stick around. The most fun I ever had here was with the "Church of Eckels" thing. I found the concept incredibly entertaining and milked it for all it was worth.

Actually, this is the only forum I've ever been a regular of. Oh, I read other forums, and very rarely I may even make a post, but AGN is the only forum where I have any real presence. It says something about AGN or possibly about me. I'm not sure which one, or even if it matters, but there you go.

Archibaldo
04-05-2008, 06:14 PM
I remember back when every poll that was made, there was always an "Eckels is my God" choice. Always.

rock_nog
04-05-2008, 06:22 PM
You know, I think I may have missed that - though quite honestly, Eckels IS my God, so yes, in my opinion, that is a perfectly acceptable answer for any question. Hell, Eckels was my original arch-nemesis-turned-person-I-highly-respected-and-admired (he was the one with whom I had battled it out in the drug thread that made me reassess my stance on the issue).

Actually, come to think of it, it's a funny quirk with this forum - it's the people that I initially resented the most that I've come to respect the most. Not that I don't respect people that I've never resented, so don't feel bad, people I've never resented, but I think it's interesting how much my views have changed. For the record, I'm primarily referring to Lilith and Beldaran here, though phattonez, too, to a lesser extent. Sorry guys, you just all really pissed me off before I learned to remove my head from my ass.

ctrl-alt-delete
04-05-2008, 06:22 PM
I remember back when every poll that was made, there was always an "Eckels is my God" choice. Always.

And it always had the most votes. Rofl.

DarkDragoonX
04-05-2008, 06:24 PM
Because it was the right answer.

Pineconn
04-06-2008, 09:32 PM
Well, way back [three years ago], I confined myself to the ZC area. I don't really remember that much. But one day I felt like browsing through GD/GB, and I remember thinking about how I think it was Breaker was being a rather evil jerk one day (sorry about that). I was then thinking how he possibly had so much rep. That's all I remember about that.

Three years later, I now understand a lot more about the functionality of AGN.

Aegix Drakan
04-08-2008, 05:34 PM
:P I have some good memories too.

I was in my last year of high school when I read about ZC in a magazine. Naturally, I checked it out.

But it was only when I started college that I actually dowloaded it, and discovered the forums.

I posted ariond like the noob that I was, Started a quest about Dark Link (got to about 75% complete before I realized how damn much it SUCKED. :P only 2 dungeons are actually good. The rest are just crappy.), and following my first disasterous run into GB, I began the learning process of how not to be a noob anymore.

Since then, I've made a lot of good friends here, and it's pretty much become my online home.

Sam Atoms
04-10-2008, 08:59 PM
Mine was when MANDRAG GANON leaked the Zelda Classic editor with the help of someone else (who, I don't remember). This was before ZQ was public, and only a select few could make custom quests. Those short months we lived in the kingdom of Phantom Menace, Shadowblazer, Nightmare, and War Lord.

Starkist
04-10-2008, 09:08 PM
December 25, 2000. I downloaded Zelda Classic and peeked at the forums. January 7, 2001. I registered to ask a question about navigating the combo page in the Quest Editor. Glenn answered it.

Zelda_Warrior
04-10-2008, 10:25 PM
My first memory was of me browsing the forums on some huge screen, I think the screen said Gateway Destination on it or something... And there was some weirdass computer that I didnt know what it was (I was brand new to computers back then, and it was my dad's. I used to use it when they weren't around because i didnt have my own computer) I was only like 11 or so years old... So much time has gone by. Now im a senior in high school. 0.o Dang, AGN is weird. The funny thing is, I hardly post at all. 1.1K posts in 6 years? 0.o

I think i was asking a question on how to get doors to work. I didnt know the other sections of the forums existed >.> I was drawing them in by hand.

By the way, that destination didnt stay very long. I dont even know why it was there. One day it was there after i got out of school, then a few weeks later, it was gone when i got out of school...

AlphaDawg
04-10-2008, 10:38 PM
I registered the day of the first public ZQuest release to ask for help with what would become the Unofficial Third Quest. I'm pretty sure Phantom Menace answered my question! I lurked for a couple months before then, mostly looking for help with the devilish Demo Quest.

Archibaldo
04-11-2008, 02:30 AM
my firned lord
-jamitossi shoewed memzelda classic and then i i tired it and signed up for the dirums and stuff but it i could never figure out zelda classic adn just wound sup talking about stuff. so her ie man

Dechipher
04-11-2008, 11:01 AM
my firned lord
-jamitossi shoewed memzelda classic and then i i tired it and signed up for the dirums and stuff but it i could never figure out zelda classic adn just wound sup talking about stuff. so her ie man

Hey Fira. Chill out.

Haha.

Beldaran
04-11-2008, 11:34 AM
lol I love the drunk posting.

The Desperado
04-14-2008, 07:42 PM
I remember when I formed the Buttlotion Empire and tried to take over AGN. Ah...the memories .

Yoshiman
04-14-2008, 09:07 PM
I remember when The Desperado (along with Goatboy/Goat) was a regular poster. :B

I registered back at the beginning of 7th grade (mostly due to Zelda Classic). First forum ever, and I was pretty much the stereotypical 12 year old. I was a huge Nintendo fanboy, and frequently tried to argue with Lord/Darth Cronic. Awesome. :p

Let's see, some reminiscing...

- Newfirst, the Hookshot,and the Flippers were completely new to Zelda Classic.
- Aegis Runestone's "Beginning of Darkness" was the first quest I finished completely.
- Eagerly awaiting the full version of VEL's (now known as Valerie) quest, "Mario's Insane Rampage."
- There was a section for a Gradius (I think that's what it was) fan project. It very rarely had new posts, and it eventually got deleted.
- Snowcock.
- That infamous avatar of "Glenn" and "Desperado".
- Glenn's Hentai thread.
- Ask a Dominatrix.
- MPQ World.
- The banning, unbanning, rebanning, and reunbanning of several members.
- Toolie's spam thread.

and of course...

- "Breaker is banning everyone, and there's nothing I can do."