PDA

View Full Version : What really dumb/random shit/superstitions do you believe in?

ctrl-alt-delete
04-05-2008, 11:25 AM
If a squirrel crosses your path...is it good luck? If you live next to a park do you just have this infinite amount of good luck?

If you spill the salt...do you throw some over your shoulder?

When you are making love...do you smoke a cigarette afterwards?

Do you have any lucky underwear, rabbits feet, four leaf clovers, or do you cry when you break a mirror?

Are you really fucking weird?

If so, post here!

rock_nog
04-05-2008, 11:54 AM
I'm superstitious about superstitions. I try to avoid them at all costs. I'm convinced that's how they get you. So, for instance, I see a ladder, I walk under it. I spill salt, I make sure not to throw some over my shoulder. I see a mirror... Well, alright, I don't go around breaking mirrors, that would be rude and expensive. Point is, I just don't trust superstitions, I think it's bad luck to buy into them.

And no, squirrels crossing your path is not good luck. Squirrels are the devil, in rodent form. Given the chance, a squirrel would eat you and everyone you hold dear.

Shazza Dani
04-05-2008, 01:57 PM
I believe if a black cat moonwalks across your path, it is extremely good luck. In fact, that will probably be the best day of your life.

rock_nog
04-05-2008, 03:07 PM
However, if Michael Jackson moonwalks across your path, and you're under the age of 12, it is extremely bad luck. In fact, that will probably be the worst day of your life.

erm2003
04-05-2008, 03:09 PM
Murphy's Law. I think that's all I have to say. It pretty much describes many aspects of my life.

DarkDragoonX
04-05-2008, 04:40 PM
I don't have any superstitions, although I've always wanted to start one. How fun would it be to convince somebody that if you cough, you have to do a backwards somersault or be cursed? Get a couple people to buy into it, wait for it to spread, and bask in the free entertainment.

On a completely unrelated note, does anybody know some really, really gullible people?

rock_nog
04-05-2008, 05:22 PM
It's a great idea, but it'd have to be something people generally don't do. Like I dunno, high-fiving a woman after sex will ensure that she won't get pregnant, or something crazy like that.

ctrl-alt-delete
04-05-2008, 05:25 PM
I don't have any superstitions, although I've always wanted to start one. How fun would it be to convince somebody that if you cough, you have to do a backwards somersault or be cursed? Get a couple people to buy into it, wait for it to spread, and bask in the free entertainment.

On a completely unrelated note, does anybody know some really, really gullible people?

My wife is the most gullible person I have ever met in my life. I once convinced her, without saying it, that I was abducted by aliens and they were coming after her next. She cried, screamed, and ran to wake up her parents...at two in the morning. She was not even supposed to be on the phone.

Bwahaha.

rock_nog
04-05-2008, 05:28 PM
What? Without saying it? Explain, now! Also, you're a rotten bastard.

ctrl-alt-delete
04-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Long story short...

I went to hangout with my friend Andrew for a few hours.

My phone died.

When I got home, I charged it and she called me.

I told her I had been trying to call her for hours, and could not reach her.

She asked me if I had fun. I asked her what she was talking about. She said, "Did you have fun with Andrew?"

I told her I was never with Andrew, nor did I ever say I was going to be.

(At this point I called Andrew and told him to lie.)

She got off the phone, called Andrew, and he told her that I was never there.

At this point, she called me freaking out...I told her I did not remember a whole lot...

Somehow, she jumped to the conclusion that I had been abducted by aliens.

After a little longer, she heard a noise outside...I said, "They're coming to get you next!"

Game over.

rock_nog
04-05-2008, 05:48 PM
OMG, that is simultaneously awesome, hilarious, and just plain horrible! Bravo!

Archibaldo
04-05-2008, 06:06 PM
I believe in Karma and Murphy's law. Actually, we've nick named my friend's car Murphy because he's had almost every problem with it. But Murphy does repay us back with its own magic. About 80% of time if he's approaching a red light he doesn't stop and just slows the fuck down and the light always turns green before he gets to the line. Coincidence? Maybe, but that car is something special. I'm willing to put money on magic.

DarkDragoonX
04-05-2008, 06:10 PM
I believe in Karma...

I believe in the Scott Adams version of Karma, wherein I can be mean to people and assume they deserve it.

Masamune
04-05-2008, 06:19 PM
If I make a joke about someone who has recently died within about half an hour of going to Taco Bell. I get free personal pan pizzas from the Pizza Hut Express at Taco Bell. And that's just how it is.

ctrl-alt-delete
04-05-2008, 06:24 PM
I believe in the Scott Adams version of Karma, wherein I can be mean to people and assume they deserve it.

True that. Funny shit.

Pineconn
04-06-2008, 10:14 PM
I believe in Chuck Norris. That's all I need to get through life.

ctrl-alt-delete
04-07-2008, 12:09 PM
I believe in Chuck Norris. That's all I need to get through life.

You do not believe in Chuck Norris. Only Chuck Norris believes in Chuck Norris.

Aegix Drakan
04-07-2008, 12:42 PM
I believe in Karma and Murphy's law

Yup, same here. But not in the sense that if you do one bad thing, then somemthing unrelated will own your ass later. I just think that...let's say you pull a nasty prank on someone, and mock him. A month later, you're running for the bus, and he has a chance to hold the door fro you for the 3 seconds it will take for you to get in. He doesn't. You miss the bus, and you are screwed. KARMA. That being said, I like to hope that sometimes karma will own someone in a much more spectacular way (malicious hacker has his computer blow up in their face, etc). :P It's much more fun to think about.

And Murphey's law...I believe in totally. my mom is a total MAGNET for that law. We all go shopping, and no matter WHAT cash she chooses, it ALWAYS (well...99.9% of the time) is the slowest one. seriously. she took the shorrter line, and then there was a hold up over something. so we switch to the longer line, which was moving faster, and right before our turn...BAM, a problem on this line. and or course, the first line started moving fine. ...Now, try imagining all these little issues hapenning EVERY DAY, and tell me there is no such thing as murphy's law. "If something CAN go wrong...it WILL go wrong". ...unless you're super well prepared, or jsut plain lucky.

Which brings me to my NEXT point. I tihnk we all have different "luck system". As in, everyone's luck functions differently.

My best friend usually has terrible luck. For example, in Melee/Brawl it's ALWAYS him that gets the bob-omb falling onto him, killing him instantly. He's just generally unlucky. However...His luck has EXCELLENT Damage control properties. While biking (without a helmet) he was hit by a car, flew 6 feet in the air, and hit the windshield head first...and all he got was a concussion and bruises. if he'd have had his helmet on, I'm willing to bet that he'd have only had bruises.

Me, I have average luck in general. Except at games of chance. I am terrible at any game of cards, guess the number, or rolling dice (which was a drag in D&D....XD). oh, of course, the odds eventually even out, but I'm generally not lucky at them. Now, when I am in trouble in any way, My luck will usually kick in, and (as my best friend put it) "pull some lucky crap out of my ass". Example: In the game me and him are making, I was fighting a boss he made. And just as I was about to get finished off...it missed. 5 times in a row. Allowing me to recover, and win. ...It works for school too. If I'm in shit, I will usually get a lucky break that saves me.

Lilith
04-07-2008, 05:17 PM
---

Beldaran
04-07-2008, 06:00 PM
I have no beliefs or superstitions.

However, I have weird habitual obsessions... like I need things to be in even numbers. I set my drink down twice. Very weird.

AtmaWeapon
04-08-2008, 12:26 AM
It's bad luck to put your genitals near a toaster. I don't know why I feel this way but I have never done it and I'm doing fine, so I bet it's true!

phattonez
04-08-2008, 12:38 AM
I get OCD about a lot of stuff. For instance, I hate seeing ketchup bottles upside-down. When stacking cups, they all need to be in order (the decals need to line up). I could think of more after a while, but that's what I have off of the top of my head.

Archibaldo
04-08-2008, 12:52 AM
Yeah I'm definitely OCD about some stuff too. Nothing big, just little things. Like when I put my calculator away, it needs to be properly shut off and the case thing needs to be covering the buttons and screen. And the stuff in my fridge needs to be categorized. Also, when I'm doing some thing, it could be anything I go out of my way to make it proper. It's weird little things. I can't think of any more right now because they seem so clock work. Then there are the normal things like keeping my DVDs and games neatly stacked and I always replace the little cardboard cover on what ever DVD have them.

Icey
04-08-2008, 01:38 AM
I have no beliefs or superstitions.

However, I have weird habitual obsessions... like I need things to be in even numbers. I set my drink down twice. Very weird.

I had the even numbers obsession for a long, long time. Actually, come to think of it, I still do somewhat, but not all the time. When I go to rinse after brushing my teeth and I went to grab a paper cup, I'd get the second one from the top. If I cook something in the microwave, the time must be an even number. If I set an alarm, I make it an even number (like 11:44 or 11:46 instead of 11:45)

I have some other minor OCD-esque habits, but yeah, no superstitions or weird beliefs really.

SUCCESSOR
04-08-2008, 07:29 AM
I havwe this weird superstition about having unprtected sex with promiscuous males. I don't know where it came from. I've treid to think about why buts i could only come up with this werid acronym ATES or something.

I think I'm just crazy.

Brasel
04-08-2008, 08:12 AM
Long story short...

I went to hangout with my friend Andrew for a few hours.

My phone died.

When I got home, I charged it and she called me.

I told her I had been trying to call her for hours, and could not reach her.

She asked me if I had fun. I asked her what she was talking about. She said, "Did you have fun with Andrew?"

I told her I was never with Andrew, nor did I ever say I was going to be.

(At this point I called Andrew and told him to lie.)

She got off the phone, called Andrew, and he told her that I was never there.

At this point, she called me freaking out...I told her I did not remember a whole lot...

Somehow, she jumped to the conclusion that I had been abducted by aliens.

After a little longer, she heard a noise outside...I said, "They're coming to get you next!"

Game over.

Dude, you are so horrible. Why would you do that to your wife?...

I get mine to believe stupid shit all the time, its fun as hell isn't it? We're evil, evil husbands.

Dechipher
04-08-2008, 08:15 AM
It's bad luck to put your genitals near a toaster. I don't know why I feel this way but I have never done it and I'm doing fine, so I bet it's true!

Maybe that's my problem.

Archibaldo
04-08-2008, 11:17 AM
I had the even numbers obsession for a long, long time. Actually, come to think of it, I still do somewhat, but not all the time. When I go to rinse after brushing my teeth and I went to grab a paper cup, I'd get the second one from the top. If I cook something in the microwave, the time must be an even number. If I set an alarm, I make it an even number (like 11:44 or 11:46 instead of 11:45)

I have some other minor OCD-esque habits, but yeah, no superstitions or weird beliefs really.

Wow, I'm like the exact opposite, I need to deal in proper fractions of time. I always deal with X:15, X:30, X:45 or X:00. When ever I tell some one the time I round it up or down to the nearest fraction.

Feasul
04-08-2008, 11:41 AM

You, my friend, are a freak.
I need things to be in multiples of 5. Volume, alarms, whatever. Except when the numbers get big, then the first two digits must be a multiple of 5 and the rest have to be 0s. So, 45 is acceptable, 10450 is not, 15000 is. And then when they get really big, I like to have it just a 5 followed by a bunch of 0s, so even something like 4000000000 becomes unacceptable, but 5000000000 is ok.
I also get this things where I might rub something the wrong way and I'll have to rub it the other way to even it out. And if anything large by my perspective (like my arm, or the rim of my glasses, or a windshield wiper) passes up in front of my view, I get uncomfortable and have to have something pass down over my view.

Aegix Drakan
04-08-2008, 12:30 PM
I don't mind number stuff that much. heck, In this website I'm working on, the width for a few tables I have is 666.

HOWEVER... a year or two ago, my best friend had (and still has) this obsession with the number 4. ...then, he started noticing the number 444 everywhere. When he told us about it...then me and a few other firends started seeing 444 pop up everywhere! Like...I happen to look at a clock/timer/number generator thingy, and BAM I see 444.

...aside from the recurring sightings, It doesn't bother me at all. Heck, one of my pet peeves is buildings NOT having a 13th floor. IT screws up the whole system, and for what? a silly fear of a number!

I do, however like numbers in 0s, or 5s, or some other conveniant form because...well, it's more conveniant!

Lilith
04-08-2008, 12:51 PM
---

Feasul
04-08-2008, 02:52 PM
...aside from the recurring sightings, It doesn't bother me at all. Heck, one of my pet peeves is buildings NOT having a 13th floor. IT screws up the whole system, and for what? a silly fear of a number!

And come on, like the people on the 14th floor don't know what floor they're really on. :wink:

There was one time I looked at a clock in a car and it said 4:44 and the thermometer next to it read 44 degrees, which was pretty cool.

Oh, and after I saw The Number 23 with my friends, as a joke any time we saw a string of numbers we'd try to do some crazy arithmetic to get it to equal 23, but a few times it was actually eerily close, like we saw a cab outside a 7-11 and the digits on it added straight up to 23, then we went inside and saw something priced 2/$3, then outside a car had a license plate with the letter "W" (23rd letter) on it.

DarkDragoonX
04-08-2008, 03:13 PM
While we're on this topic of numbers, as I recall hospitals in Japan typically don't have a 4th floor, as the word "four" sounds similar to the word for "death." It's kind of interesting that suspicions about numbers seem to be universal.

What I find even more entertaining is the absurd belief that by not labeling something as floor 13 or floor 4, that somehow changes what it actually is. Hallucinating the way reality works is fun!

ShadowTiger
04-08-2008, 03:37 PM
The only superstitions I have that I can tell, are a few interesting recurring numbers and themes and phrases and words, etc. It's not the entities themselves, but the patterns which present themselves at the most unusual of times.

I started reading the Vorkosigan book series by Lois Bujold, and she uses the word "nonplussed" a lot. I'd never heard of the word before, but after the first time I read it, I start seeing it everywhere. People I never thought even knew half of the English language started using it.

Then there's the number 744. A good friend had started seeing it everywhere and on everything, and took it as his username. Then I started seeing it too. It's not like in the Forer Effect, how anything that seems familiar to you will naturally be noticed more. The number genuinely started appearing far, far more often. I'd wake up at exactly 744 AM every day for a week, on my own, without any help from an alarm clock. I'd have dinner at 7:44 PM or would get home at 7:44. I'd look at my watch in the evenings, and bam, 7:44, after having no memory of time until then.

Prrkitty
04-08-2008, 04:11 PM
Ahhh... numerology... such a unique... superstition? It seems the number 9... is my number. Not sure how to explain it...

Dec 16, 1978 - first marriage began (not necessarily a '9'... but... read on...)

9 days later - Christmas - 25th December

9 days later - 1st husband birthday Jan 3rd

9 days later - my birthday 12th Jan ... and no... we did not deliberately plan that. And actually it was a few years after we got married that I finally realized the number sequence.

July 9, 1986 - My hysterectomy

July 9, 1994 - Paul and I got married

There's more... but eh... that's just a sample.

Pineconn
04-08-2008, 04:47 PM
Ever since I was taught how to determine if a number is evenly divisible by the number 9 (add up the digits and try to divide by 9, so the number 414 would be 4 + 1 + 4 = 9, and 9 is obviously evenly divisible by 9), I would use this trick on just about any number I could find. My house address? 2370, nope, not evenly divisible by 9 (but it is by 3 -- you use the same trick for the number 3).

Aahh, number logic. Speaking of which, this is really awesome:

Take any four-digit number made up of different digits (try 5764). Then, rearrange the digits to get the largest (7654) and smallest (4567) numbers. Subtract those numbers to get 3087, then continue the process with the resulting number (rearrange 3087's digits to get 8730 and 378, subtract them, etc.). You’ll eventually reach the number 6174. No matter which four-digit number you start with, you'll end up with 6174. This is just weird. For example:

9832 - 2389 = 7443

7443 - 3447 = 3996

9963 - 3699 = 6264

6642 - 2466 = 4176

7641 - 1467 = 6174 :toast:

Feasul
04-09-2008, 03:05 AM
And what happens once you get to 6174? Let's find out.

7641 - 1467 = 6174

Hmm, that's pretty cool.

Zelda_Warrior
04-09-2008, 08:05 PM
Usually hotels don't have a room 666, either.

I found a cool article about the 6174 phenomenon

http://plus.maths.org/issue38/features/nishiyama/

According to that, the addition of all the digits of any results of the kernel of the operation equals 9, so for 6174, 6+1+7+4 = 18, and 1+8 = 9...

I dont really have any random dumb/random shit/superstitions i believe in, but I do have this thing where i dont like it when rugs are touching walls

Master Maniac
04-09-2008, 08:54 PM
i believe i am anti-happiness.

nit in the emo sense but... ah hell now i gotta explain.

if i am happy and having a good day then everyone around me is having a shitty day. it never fails.

and if im having a shitty day everyone around me is always having a good day.

every
fucking
time

hope this doesent happen with anyone else. its hard to blend in when youre the exact opposite of everyone else.

Archibaldo
04-10-2008, 12:08 AM

if i am happy and having a good day then everyone around me is having a shitty day. it never fails.

every
fucking
time

hope this doesent happen with anyone else. its hard to blend in when youre the exact opposite of everyone else.

Ah, so the pain and misery of others sustains you. That is a path to the dark side. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Icey
04-10-2008, 12:44 AM

every
fucking
time

This is about as non-emo as Hayden Christensen playing Anakin Skywalker in Episode III...

I like this Star Wars theme Archibaldo got us on.

bigjoe
04-10-2008, 04:19 AM
I believe that at certain but hard to discern times, people around me and people on the internet become...

Hmm, it's hard to explain. Possessed? I don't know if thats the word. I just hear my thoughts echoed in things I read or what people say. And as is the case in real life, when I ask them what they said, they repeat something different than what Im almost 99% sure I heard the first time.

Doesn't happen extremely often, and lately , much less. But still, when it does, It drives me bonkers. In recent times, I refuse to believe its schizophrenia or something, as nothing I hear seems to be a hallucination.

Also, I'm currently going through the "recurring numbers" thing. Never fail to see the any 3 digit variation of the number 157.

I.E. 157, 517, 571 etc

It can happen almost five times a day, but only seems to happen when I'm NOT thinking about it.

Lilith
04-10-2008, 09:53 AM
---

MoonCheese
04-10-2008, 06:46 PM
I have OCD, so my life is full of these things. I shy away from certain numbers, not only the standard 13 but also 23 and 29. Like, if a clock says it's 20:13 or something, sometimes I have to wait for it to be 20:14 (or later) before I leave the house or whatever. Then, there's this writing project that's turned into the Winchester House...I'm convinced I need to add to it each day, so now it's a grotesque and unstructured mess of contradictory, random, and nonsensical crap. I have to say various "mantras" before I go to bed each night, too.

Archibaldo
04-11-2008, 02:34 AM
I believe that at certain but hard to discern times, people around me and people on the internet become...

Hmm, it's hard to explain. Possessed? I don't know if thats the word. I just hear my thoughts echoed in things I read or what people say. And as is the case in real life, when I ask them what they said, they repeat something different than what Im almost 99% sure I heard the first time.

Doesn't happen extremely often, and lately , much less. But still, when it does, It drives me bonkers. In recent times, I refuse to believe its schizophrenia or something, as nothing I hear seems to be a hallucination.

Also, I'm currently going through the "recurring numbers" thing. Never fail to see the any 3 digit variation of the number 157.

I.E. 157, 517, 571 etc

It can happen almost five times a day, but only seems to happen when I'm NOT thinking about it.

maybe 99% of the time you hearded what they actually said so when they repet them elsves they repesat the right thing anf then you think they changed thiet answer/.?

mrz84
04-11-2008, 10:13 AM
I believe some superstitions and some I don't believe. I walk under ladders with reckless abandon and only break stride when a black cat crosses my path whtn my brain melts at the cuteness. :kitty:

ctrl-alt-delete
04-11-2008, 12:21 PM
maybe 99% of the time you hearded what they actually said so when they repet them elsves they repesat the right thing anf then you think they changed thiet answer/.?

Maybe you were just drunk, bigjoe, like this guy.

Lilith
04-13-2008, 11:27 PM
---