PDA

View Full Version : Pizza Hut Suspends Driver

Blisspath
04-03-2008, 08:55 AM
A Pizza Hut driver who shot a would be burglar was suspended for carrying a gun while at work even though he had a permit. If I was a pizza guy there is no way that I wouldn't be armed.
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080402/NEWS/804020358/-1/BUSINESS04

ctrl-alt-delete
04-03-2008, 09:12 AM
Fuck burglars. I would shoot anyone that did not give my ass a tip. With greedy assholes like Mr. Krabs around, who would not be packing?

rock_nog
04-03-2008, 09:39 AM
I'm half surprised that they don't REQUIRE guns. That's a freakin' dangerous job right there. I mean, on the one hand, it'd be incredibly easy to rob a pizza guy. On the other hand, I can't possibly imagine pizza guys have that much cash on hand, so you'd have to be pretty desperate before you tried it, which just makes the situation that much worse.

Archibaldo
04-03-2008, 12:11 PM
I can see why they would suspend him. If people knew your company had a pizza delivery guy employed who was carrying a gun, I think people would be a little hesitant to order from there. I know it's a ridiculous thought but it is true.

AlphaDawg
04-03-2008, 01:05 PM
I delivered pizza for a year or so at a small family-owned shop, and while I was unarmed (we delivered to a relatively safe area of Northeast Philly, and only stayed open until 10 or 11 PM), some of my fellow drivers were known to be packing. More power to them. As best as I can tell, concealed-carry permits and, oh yeah, the Second Amendment, take precedence over any legalese Pizza Hut might have the driver sign.

What also bothers me about those big chains are rules requiring drivers to wear uniforms and put those hideous illuminated signs on their cars. Nothing says, "Hey, Mr. Would-Be Robber, guess where I work? And I just might have some money and food on me!" better than one of those signs.

Those signs cautioning "Drivers carry no more than $20/$30/$whatever" won't stop, say, a drug addict whose only concern is their next fix. And as I can personally attest, those rules usually go out the window whenever it's busy, as no manager has the time to process a cash drop. Making sure all the pizzas get out on time is far more important than the driver's safety, y'know?

I was lucky enough to survive the year without getting robbed, though my cousin, delivering just north of Philly, wasn't so lucky, getting ambushed outside a poorly-lit apartment complex.

Here's a good pizza-delivery related site: http://www.tipthepizzaguy.com/

Masamune
04-03-2008, 02:23 PM
I delivered pizza for a year or so at a small family-owned shop, and while I was unarmed (we delivered to a relatively safe area of Northeast Philly, and only stayed open until 10 or 11 PM), some of my fellow drivers were known to be packing. More power to them. As best as I can tell, concealed-carry permits and, oh yeah, the Second Amendment, take precedence over any legalese Pizza Hut might have the driver sign.

What also bothers me about those big chains are rules requiring drivers to wear uniforms and put those hideous illuminated signs on their cars. Nothing says, "Hey, Mr. Would-Be Robber, guess where I work? And I just might have some money and food on me!"

Those signs cautioning "Drivers carry no more than $20/$30/$whatever" won't stop, say, a drug addict whose only concern is their next fix. And as I can personally attest, those rules usually go out the window whenever it's busy, as no manager has the time to process a cash drop. Making sure all the pizzas get out on time is far more important than the driver's safety, y'know?

I was lucky enough to survive the year without getting robbed, though my cousin, delivering just north of Philly, wasn't so lucky, getting ambushed outside a poorly-lit apartment complex.

Here's a good pizza-delivery related site: http://www.tipthepizzaguy.com/

Do you still live in or near north east Philly? I live about 20 minutes south of Center City, dude.

Beldaran
04-03-2008, 02:31 PM
I'm going to change the subject and express curiousity as to how anyone can stand to live in Pennsylvania. Cold, ugly, and flat. Am I wrong? Please refute.

Masamune
04-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Pennsylvania is truly the superior state. Over Delaware, New Jersey, and Maryland anyway. The temperature is fine. How can you stand to live in Texas with all their cowboy hats and confederate belt buckles? And no one even likes the Cowboys except Texans, but everyone roots for the Eagles.

ctrl-alt-delete
04-03-2008, 03:06 PM
Pennsylvania is truly the superior state. Over Delaware, New Jersey, and Maryland anyway. The temperature is fine. How can you stand to live in Texas with all their cowboy hats and confederate belt buckles? And no one even likes the Cowboys except Texans, but everyone roots for the Eagles.

I like the Cowboys...and I live in Oklahoma. :-p

As for the sports teams...what does that have to do with whether or not the state sucks?

Masamune
04-03-2008, 03:19 PM
I like the Cowboys...and I live in Oklahoma. :-p

As for the sports teams...what does that have to do with whether or not the state sucks?

Nothing at all. I'm just talking out of my ass.

AlphaDawg
04-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Do you still live in or near north east Philly? I live about 20 minutes south of Center City, dude.Yeah I still live in Northeast Philly. You live somewhere in Delaware County I assume? I play that evil Magic: The Gathering game a couple times a week at a store in Delco.

I'm going to change the subject and express curiousity as to how anyone can stand to live in Pennsylvania. Cold, ugly, and flat. Am I wrong? Please refute.Cold? Sometimes, like last night at the Phillies game, though overall this winter was quite warm (damn global warming). Flat? Around Philly, yes. Central and northeast Pennsylvania are quite mountainous. Ugly? Certain parts of Philly and its suburbs, absolutely. But the state as a whole, no way. I love driving to the Poconos, or to State College, or even a short drive to West Chester. Beautiful scenery.

Shazza Dani
04-03-2008, 03:27 PM
I'm going to change the subject and express curiousity as to how anyone can stand to live in Pennsylvania. Cold, ugly, and flat. Am I wrong? Please refute.

It truely does suck. There's no way I'm living here my whole life. (You're wrong about it being flat though. Pittsburgh is covered in hills, and the freakin Appalachian Mountains run through the eastern part of the state.)

Back on topic.... As was said, by someone or another, I don't think he should've been suspended. Carrying a gun should be allowed for the protection of delivery people.

Masamune
04-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Yeah I still live in Northeast Philly. You live somewhere in Delaware County I assume? I play that evil Magic: The Gathering game a couple times a week at a store in Delco.

Yeah, I live in Boothwyn. Probably never heard of it, but if you've heard of Aston or Marcus Hook, it's between them. And what shop do you go to? Alternate Universe?

AlphaDawg
04-03-2008, 04:02 PM
I've heard of Boothwyn. I have a couple friends who live there. I often confuse it with Broomall, a few miles away. And yes, I play at Alternate Universes. I started going there shortly after it opened. It's a nice little store, good people, good competition. I'll be there for Friday Night Magic tomorrow.

Masamune
04-03-2008, 04:17 PM
Oh shit. I might make a mention to go down there then. Do they require decks to be tournament legal, or is friday night magic casual play? Because I have to make a couple modifications to my decks first if so. :(

EDIT: the one on macdade blvd, right?

rock_nog
04-03-2008, 04:29 PM
Bah! Bah, I say! I hate Philly - though I'm slightly biased because I have a close friend from Philly who decided to move back there after graduation, so I've kinda taken to resenting the city over it. But dear God, don't let her know, or she will kick my ass from here to California and back.

What I don't understand is how anyone could live in Minnesota. I mean, every day, I wake up thinking, "Dear God, what were the first human settlers thinking when they decided to live here?"

ctrl-alt-delete
04-03-2008, 04:34 PM
Oh shit. I might make a mention to go down there then. Do they require decks to be tournament legal, or is friday night magic casual play? Because I have to make a couple modifications to my decks first if so. :(

EDIT: the one on macdade blvd, right?

Watch out, you guys might find yourselves on Dateline NBC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur4aqkyCzPA

Masamune
04-03-2008, 04:41 PM
I just can't control my horny level.

AlphaDawg
04-03-2008, 04:43 PM

EDIT: the one on macdade blvd, right?That's the one, in the building right next to the butcher shop. We play Type 2 (Standard). It starts somewhere around 7 PM, is free, and fairly competitive. I'm probably going to run something similar to this (http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=24275). Not identical, mind you...

If competitive Type 2 isn't your thing, most of us also bring a casual deck or two. Also, in between rounds we'll probably be practicing for the big Type 1 (Vintage) event Saturday at the other Alternate Universes store in Blue Bell.

And, in a futile attempt to return to the original thread topic, we'll probably be ordering pizza from somewhere...

ctrl-alt-delete
04-03-2008, 04:47 PM
That's the one, in the building right next to the butcher shop. We play Type 2 (Standard). It starts somewhere around 7 PM, is free, and fairly competitive. I'm probably going to run something similar to this (http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=24275). Not identical, mind you...

If competitive Type 2 isn't your thing, most of us also bring a casual deck or two. Also, in between rounds we'll probably be practicing for the big Type 1 (Vintage) event Saturday at the other Alternate Universes store in Blue Bell.

And, in a futile attempt to return to the original thread topic, we'll probably be ordering pizza from somewhere...

Rofl. You just better hope the delivery guy is not strapped with a piece...

Masamune
04-03-2008, 04:56 PM
I really don't have any newer cards. I'll probably swing by to play a few non-type 2 matches.

Breaker
04-03-2008, 04:56 PM
A friend of my brothers was shot and killed while delivering pizza for less than 20 bucks. This driver can find another job. Fuck Pizza Hut.

erm2003
04-03-2008, 05:16 PM
There have been several armed robberies of pizza delivery guys in the Buffalo/Niagara Falls area over the past few years. I don't blame the guy for having protection.