PDA

View Full Version : how do i make text appear outside of rooms?

dingo131
04-02-2008, 09:53 PM
im having a little trouble with that and help would be greatly appriciated.

The_Amaster
04-02-2008, 09:55 PM
How so? Like, talking to people, or just regularly?
And which version are you using?

dingo131
04-02-2008, 10:22 PM
both. im using 2.10

Master Maniac
04-02-2008, 10:53 PM
well one (text for item pickup, reading signs, etc.) will call for scripting. scripts like that have already been made.

the other, you go to data>guys

then after that go to data>message string and select your text.

you have to make text first in quest>strings first though for both of them.

dingo131
04-02-2008, 10:56 PM
do you know where i could get the scripts for it?

Master Maniac
04-02-2008, 11:15 PM
yep.

the script showcase here at AGN. (http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1159)

theres a lot there, but i think they are both in this forum.

if not then check at purezc.com. they have a few scripts there.

EDIT: it feels good to help out lol... i feel all smart now =)
i bet its fun being a mod and getting to do this all the time =P. plus you can edit other people's posts i think too... cant you?

Revfan9
04-02-2008, 11:22 PM
Here are the scripts I'm using for my Quest regarding these types of strings (Use both scripts with "Messages Disappear" and "Messages Freeze All Action"):

PLAYSOUNDR d0
MSGSTRR d1

FFC Script, just displays a string on the screen when Link enters. d0 is the sound effect that plays, d1 is the message string displayed (if you don't want a sound effect, just leave it 0).

SETR sd0,x
SETR sd1,x
SETR sd2,y
SETR sd3,y
SUBV sd0,8
ADDV sd1,24
ADDV sd3,24
WAIT WAITFRAME
COMPARER linkx,sd0
GOTOMORE POS1
GOTOLESS WAIT
POS1 COMPARER linkx,sd1
GOTOLESS POS2
GOTOMORE WAIT
POS2 COMPARER linky,sd2
GOTOMORE POS3
GOTOLESS WAIT
POS3 COMPARER linky,sd3
GOTOLESS POS4
GOTOMORE WAIT
POS4 COMPAREV linkdir,0
GOTOTRUE POS5
GOTOFALSE WAIT
POS5 COMPAREV inputa,1
GOTOTRUE DISPLAY
GOTOFALSE WAIT
DISPLAY SETV inputa,0
PLAYSOUNDR d0
MSGSTRR d1
GOTO MOVA
MOVA WAITFRAME
COMPAREV linkdir,1
GOTOMORE ERASE
GOTOLESS MOVA
ERASE MSGSTRV 0
GOTO WAIT

The signpost one. Address values are exactly the same. Make sure that you place the FFC over where you have the Signpost.

Master Maniac
04-02-2008, 11:26 PM
oh yeah, dingo, i forgot to say, theres 2 types of scripting.

ZASM and ZScript. it would help a lot to remember the difference between them lol

thanks for reminding me revfan =)

dingo131
04-02-2008, 11:36 PM
thanks. now, and i know, im a n00b, how do i put the scripts into my quest?

Revfan9
04-02-2008, 11:43 PM
Zasm is mainly just an underlying thing that the system uses. In almost every case, you won't really have to worry about it at all. Almost every script that you'll find is made in Zscript. How Zasm is mainly used is that ZQuest "Compiles" the Zscripts into Zasm, similar to the way an actual C++ compiler changes the code to assembly.

What's the advantage of Zasm over Zscripts? Well, just like with actual assembly versus C/++, scripts written directly in Zasm are much more compact and work more quickly than Zscripts. The reason? Again, Zscripts are changed to Zasm by the system itself. Because of this, the compiler adds in lots of stuff that's simply, completely unnecessary.

Again, Zasm is something the average ZC user doesn't need to concern themselves with too much. Most scripts are written in Zscript because they find it easier to code in Zscript than in Zasm. Actually, I think the only time that the average questmaker will ever have to deal with Zasm is if they use one of my scripts, as I'm one of the rare few people who finds ASM easier to work with than High-Level languages. Seriously, I could never wrap my head around that stuff. Doing things in small steps just makes so much more sense to me. Actually, I'm fairly certain that I'm the only frequent scriptmaker in the entire ZC community that actually makes stuff in Zasm anyway.

EDIT: To add a script to your quest, go to Tools->Scripts->Compile Zscript (Or, if you're using one of my scripts, "Import ASM FFC Script"), import, and compile. Then assign that FFC to the script you want to give it.

Master Maniac
04-02-2008, 11:46 PM
its ok to be a n00b XD i was one once...

ok so to load scripts. first it depends on what kind you have. if you found ZASM, then go to tools>scripts>import (whichever type, global FFC oritem) ASM script.

then it should be loaded.

for ZScript go to tools>scripts>Compile Zscript
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

but before you do all that, save both scripts on notepad in the SAME FILE.
when you save it click "save as" and NOT "save".

type the name of your file and instead of the text document file extension (.txt) you are going to save it as a .z document. (.z) and before you click save hit the drop down box and click save as all filetypes.

now youre ready to load it to Zquest.

if you tried to import them seprately, it would be an epic fail because the buffer can only load one document, and once another is loaded, the previous one is erased, rendering the script it belonged to useless.

if you have questions dont hesitate to ask =)

lol revfan beat me to it :p

Revfan9
04-02-2008, 11:49 PM
Wait, you can just import 2 different files and compile them seperately, just as well. All that the buffer does is store the code about to be compiled. After the code is already changed into Zasm and stored into the quest, the buffer has nothing to do with it.

Note that putting them both in the same file will also work, just wanted to point out that error.

Master Maniac
04-02-2008, 11:53 PM
oh... i thought the buffer is where it stored the scripts to look at them when they are used...

my bad sorry.

well i got most of it right anyway =)

dingo131
04-02-2008, 11:57 PM
k so i clicked the tools button and there's no script option

Revfan9
04-02-2008, 11:59 PM
Down at the bottom. If it's not there, check the quest menu, I remember hearing something about them moving it down there. I haven't checked the site for the new betas in a week or so.

dingo131
04-03-2008, 12:09 AM
it's not there either.

Revfan9
04-03-2008, 12:45 AM
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/Revfan9/Needadispenserhere.png

Right there.

*Also, as a little side game, I've hidden a reference to Team Fortress 2 somewhere in this post before the asterisk. Whoever can find it gets a cookie.

Gleeok
04-03-2008, 01:50 AM
Guys, if you read his post you'd see he stated that he's using 2.10.

dingo131: Unfortunately scripting is a newer feature so it only works with recent versions of ZQ. If you would like to check out the new content that has been added click here: www.shardstorm.com

Also for some tutorials or info on the new betas go to the Zelda Classic main site and click on "ZC Wiki".

Joe123
04-03-2008, 05:07 AM
You can do it with warps and duplicate screens in 2.10.

It's a bit clunky though.

Revfan9
04-03-2008, 10:59 PM
Wait, people still use 2.10? O.o

bobrocks95
04-03-2008, 11:04 PM
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/Revfan9/Needadispenserhere.png

Right there.

*Also, as a little side game, I've hidden a reference to Team Fortress 2 somewhere in this post before the asterisk. Whoever can find it gets a cookie.

Ummm.... I've got the Orange Box but haven't really had a chance to play TF2... Does it have something to do with that second normal bush with the scribbly black lines on it?

Revfan9
04-04-2008, 12:15 AM
No, but you are looking in the right place.

dingo131
04-05-2008, 12:41 AM
okay so i got a newer version and when i go to compile it it says that theres a compilment error or something along those lines.

dingo131
04-05-2008, 12:43 AM
no wait it says its a syntax error