PDA

View Full Version : 'Pig Book' names congressional porkers

Prrkitty
04-02-2008, 04:20 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/04/02/pork.spending/index.html

Quote: A watchdog group critical of pork barrel spending released its latest findings Wednesday targeting the top Congressional "porkers."

Some of the pork projects, according to the group, include a Lobster Institute; the Rocky Flats, Colorado, Cold War Museum; and the First Tee, a program to build young people's character through golf.

Members of Congress requested funds for all these pet projects and thousands of others last year, according to the latest copy of the annual "Pig Book" released by Citizens Against Government Waste.

------------

It's a shame there's nothing the general public can do about this whole issue. Even when those that have been caught with their fingers in the "pork barrel" ... they "deny... deny... deny... explain... deny... deny". As if they can point their fingers elsewhere so they can sidestep the issue.

Ultimately... is there really something that can be done to stop this?

Pineconn
04-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Ultimately... is there really something that can be done to stop this?

Yeah, for four years, at least. Elect John McCain.
Note to AGNers: that was a lighthearted comment.

Pork barrel legislation is a bit ridiculous. This year alone, according to the article, Congressmen spent a total of $13.7 billion as pork, which should instead be going toward the upcoming Medicare and Social Security crisis (http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/03/26/beck.deficit/index.html?iref=newssearch).

Starkist
04-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Yeah, for four years, at least. Elect John McCain.
Note to AGNers: that was a lighthearted comment.

No joke. No matter whether you agree with Senator McCain's positions or not, you can't say that he is part of the pork problem. He walks his talk too, never slipping in earmarks for pet projects in his home state. As president, I believe he will actually take a stand in vetoing bills with pork earmarks attached to them. I think he would let the government shut down before allowing earmarks through, until Congress gets the picture and stops doing it.

That is reason alone to vote for McCain.

rock_nog
04-02-2008, 08:09 PM
I had a lot more respect for the man before he decided to run for president (in 2008, that is). His convictions have seemingly all flown out the window in his attempts to court the mainstream Republican voters. Jumping ship to covert from Episcopalian to Baptist? Apparently not knowing whether or not condoms can prevent the spread of HIV? Honestly, what the hell? I know he needs the support of those evangelical voters, but the more he gives in to them, the more of a dumbass he seems.