PDA

View Full Version : Earth Hour Notice

cbailey78
03-29-2008, 04:12 PM
Have you went to Google and notice the background is black? It's a gesture that warns people to turn off all electricity by 8 pm for one hour.

You can get more info here:
http://www.google.com/intl/en/earthhour/

phattonez
03-29-2008, 04:28 PM
I'll be at the Coliseum at that time. The lights will be off at my house, but definitely not at that game. Baseball above the Earth.

cbailey78
03-29-2008, 04:31 PM
The lights will be off at my house Good job! *shakes hand*

Shazza Dani
03-29-2008, 04:32 PM
I'd be more willing to turn off all my electricity if it wasn't so late in the evening. I could go outside for an hour if it wasn't cold and dark.

Icey
03-29-2008, 04:59 PM
Lights and computers will be off, the TV will not. I am not going to miss the UNC-Louisville game... however, I will turn everything off an extra amount of time later if it makes you feel better. But yes, basketball above the earth :p

Beldaran
03-29-2008, 05:06 PM
I will be leaving my electricity on, since I don't think resource usage is evil.

AtmaWeapon
03-29-2008, 05:30 PM
I'm going leave my hair dryer running in the bathroom so that that bathtub doesn't overflow because of the water I've been running all day (angels told me to get the meter to a special number by the end of the month or else I won't be able to hang posters on the walls in my mansion in Heaven!)

XMuppetSB
03-29-2008, 05:35 PM
WOW! That Lights Out Skin on the Google Home page is so cool!:thumbsup:
But, even if I turn out all the lights in my house, my computer sure won't be turned off.:rolleyes:

rock_nog
03-29-2008, 05:41 PM
Oh wow, that is a cool layout. Myself, no, I'm not participating. I'll be happy to sit in the dark, but I've got to have something to occupy my time.

Cloral
03-29-2008, 06:45 PM
Honestly this strikes me as an empty gesture designed to get people who are part of the problem to feel like they are part of the solution. Changing what you do for 1 hour doesn't make hardly any difference. Making sensible changes to your lifestyle on the other hand can have a significant impact.

PS: The black theme at Google is a nice change of pace. I still use the 'classic black' theme here so I guess I like black themes.

cbailey78
03-29-2008, 07:39 PM
WOW! That Lights Out Skin on the Google Home page is so cool!:thumbsup:
But, even if I turn out all the lights in my house, my computer sure won't be turned off.:rolleyes:

I hope you're using a laptop!:)

XMuppetSB
03-29-2008, 08:01 PM
I hope you're using a laptop!:)

I would use my old XP laptop, but it's more of a piece of shit than my Vista.
And it doesn't have an internet connection, unless a wireless USB Device is plugged in.

Blisspath
03-29-2008, 08:27 PM
OK..I did it..I turned on every light in the house to combat others turning theirs off and to help get my carbon footprint as high as possible. This was one of the coolest winters in a while and with the downturn in sunspots..we need to release all the CO2 that we can to help keep us warm.
http://wattsupwiththat.wordpress.com/2008/02/13/where-have-all-the-sunspots-gone/

Pineconn
03-30-2008, 02:15 AM
Dang, I missed it. Oh well, I was in Akron all day Brawling for the first time. However, my parents still used electricity here (mostly since they had no idea).

Aegix Drakan
03-30-2008, 09:50 AM
I was offline all day yesterday. I had no clue. And even if I did... my parents are remodeling the bathroom. They needed all the light they could get.

:P as to why I was offline, I spent a good portion of the day at a friend's house playing my FINALLY received copy of brawl.

...in fact, the second I'm done my catching up, I going to go down to the basement and play some more.

:D

Beldaran
03-31-2008, 04:17 PM
No Effect. (http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andrewbolt/index.php/heraldsun/comments/earth_hour_crashes_to_earth/)

ShadowTiger
03-31-2008, 04:28 PM
... lol blackout practice.

A shame, really. I do agree that energy conservation efforts should be going to better aspects of the ecology though.

Lilith
03-31-2008, 06:14 PM
---

Starkist
04-01-2008, 12:01 AM
My lights were off because I was camping in Oregon. Had I known about this, I would have left them on to make up the difference. ;)

lightnin-z
04-01-2008, 10:31 AM
I ahd ever peice of electricyt turned off in my house so i saved the palnet moar than you.

MottZilla
04-01-2008, 05:19 PM
I wondered why Google was black when I started my browser. I did find their little thing explaining it. I however, did not do anything differently. Things like these are retarded. Shutting off power usage for some amount of time is not going to help. Things like using energy more efficiently all the time will. Those swirl tube light bulbs despite containing toxic material are a good way to reduce energy use. Having more energy efficient machines (washer, dryer, whatever) is the best way to go, followed by life style changes.

I don't think this helped at all, you'd have to be a complete retard to not know by now about our energy problems.

The_Amaster
04-01-2008, 05:39 PM
You know, my government teacher pointed out that it takes more energy to display black pixels than white ones. Way to go Google.

Glenn the Great
04-01-2008, 06:20 PM
You know, my government teacher pointed out that it takes more energy to display black pixels than white ones. Way to go Google.

Not true. Takes the same amount, one way or the other.