PDA

View Full Version : [758] Wall Masters continue to come out of wall after clock is picked up

AlphaDawg
03-27-2008, 03:06 PM
I first noticed this while playing around with the Official Third Quest. I was able to duplicate this in my test quest, available here (http://fast.filespace.org/alphadawg/test.zip).

On a related note, I don't think enemies are supposed to drop more than one clock per trip to each room. I don't recall this ever happening in the original Legend of Zelda.

Brandon
03-27-2008, 04:47 PM
I believe that was intended so that they wouldn't get stuck in the walls permanently.

AlphaDawg
03-27-2008, 07:06 PM
I believe that was intended so that they wouldn't get stuck in the walls permanently.While that is indeed convenient, it's not true to their Zelda 1 behavior. I remember reading years ago in Nintendo Power (I think) about the secret passageway in First Quest, Level 7. They explicitly warned, "Don't pick up clocks if they appear!"

Here's a screenshot of the multiple clock bug I mentioned previously:

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj7/KingSquee/Zelda%20Classic/twoclocks.gif

Freedom
03-27-2008, 07:20 PM
If they stayed in the walls and it was a permanent clock instead of temporary that would allow a lot of situations of people being stuck in rooms with closed doors or whatever.
I think they need to be as they are.

AlphaDawg
03-27-2008, 07:37 PM
If they stayed in the walls and it was a permanent clock instead of temporary that would allow a lot of situations of people being stuck in rooms with closed doors or whatever.
I think they need to be as they are.That's bad quest design in my opinion. If ZC is to remain an authentic Zelda 1 clone (warts and all), this should probably be fixed.

Nicholas Steel
03-27-2008, 07:43 PM
the multple clocks bug is not a bug, it is just a extremely rare situtaion in the original game.

Pineconn
03-27-2008, 08:06 PM
I can smell "quest rule" in the air!

Gleeok
03-28-2008, 06:42 AM
I'm having dejavu here.

The Wall Masters thing is an NES consistancy issue, so It most likely won't be addressed untill after 2.5 is done. And I also agree with Freedom on that one. What the hell did Nintendo use for a testing team on the LOZ1, monkeys? Every so often I'll play Zelda on the NES just for fun, and each time I run across a new bad programming bug. But because so many awesome and innovative games were made during those years, I forgive them. ;p

...Actually, wasn't the multiple clocks appearing bug fixed already?

AlphaDawg
03-29-2008, 01:32 PM
I'm having dejavu here.

The Wall Masters thing is an NES consistancy issue, so It most likely won't be addressed untill after 2.5 is done. And I also agree with Freedom on that one. What the hell did Nintendo use for a testing team on the LOZ1, monkeys? Every so often I'll play Zelda on the NES just for fun, and each time I run across a new bad programming bug. But because so many awesome and innovative games were made during those years, I forgive them. ;p

...Actually, wasn't the multiple clocks appearing bug fixed already?Apparently it wasn't... :(

No doubt there were some bugs in Zelda 1, in addition to parts of Zelda 1 that weren't buggy but may be considered bad quest design... but it was a hell of a lot better than the turds put out by a lot of Nintendo's third-party designers at the time (for example, anything by LJN).

cbailey78
04-11-2008, 05:38 PM
It does that on the original NES Zelda 1 game that the wall masters do come out of the wall after the clock is picked up. It should be not a bug.

Nicholas Steel
04-11-2008, 10:08 PM
which emulator you used cbailey :) nestopia with the sprite limit enabled is the best one for bug testing... a real NES is the penultimate for bug testing.

Imzogelmo
08-13-2011, 04:37 PM
I am certain that Zelda 1 on the NES has clocks preventing Wallmasters from coming out of the walls, and 99% certain it had no multiple clocks.

The item sets work a bit differently than ZC. I believe the item is somehow related to the number of remaining enemies. I saw an article that someone made when doing a TAS that explained how it worked. Long story short, the RNG is abusable.

EDIT: Here's the page I was talking about. Slice it and dice it, it should give you much more accurate item drop behavior:
http://tasvideos.org/2091S.html