PDA

View Full Version : Losing your closest loved one...

Brasel
03-27-2008, 12:52 PM
My buddy today told me about how about 7 years ago he lost his first wife to cancer. They had only been married for about 4 months, but they had been together for around a year. He had stayed in his apartment for 6 months on a complete binge while people would come over and have to force him into his shower. He also didn't pay any bills, yet his rent was paid for him on time every month, and he still doesn't know who did that for him.

If I lost my wife, I don't know that I would do anything but lay in bed and rot. If not laying in bed rotting, probably be extremely irresponsible. I'd spend every dime I had and probably end up killing myself (not on purpose) on alcohol. I don't know if 6 months would even be near what I would end up laying in bed for. I just can't imagine losing her...it depresses me thinking about it. I know my family would be extremely supportive for me...damn...

So, if anyone else feels like thinking about this topic...if you lost your closest loved one, how would you deal with it do you think?

Breaker
03-27-2008, 01:08 PM
Leaving Las Vegas (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113627/) all the way.

Beldaran
03-27-2008, 01:25 PM
Even though I would be really emotionally hurt, I would continue to pursue my goals and find happiness in life. I love my fiancee, but there's only one person I truly can't live without, and that's me. One of the things I love about her is that she feels the same way about herself. I'd be sad, then I'd move on. I don't accept personal destruction as a coping mechanism.

Brasel
03-27-2008, 01:26 PM
Thats a good way to think, its too bad that I'm not one with very productive coping skills.

Aegix Drakan
03-27-2008, 02:00 PM
I'd probably go into a state of total uproductivity. Like, I'd try to go about my work, only to not be able to concentrate, so try to play a game, only to not be in the mood, so I'd go do something else, and not want to do that either...

I had a friend who had an accident that could have been fatal, if he wasn't so lucky, and when I heard about it...I was in a state of unproductivity like that for a few days. So if I actually lost someone...It'd probably be considerably worse.

moocow
03-27-2008, 05:20 PM
My closest loved one is my son.

Losing him would be losing everything. There's no one else in this world who matters more, not even myself. I'd probably drain my checking account, spend it on liquor, drink it all and then hang myself.

Mitsukara
03-27-2008, 06:24 PM
I know that I only knew him online and all, but to be completely honest, I've been through this. I was never anything like as close to my family, and honestly I haven't felt as completely sure about anything as I did when I fell in love with him.

It sucks. It never stops hurting. But I remember all the good things, and cherish those memories.

I contemplated suicide at the time and pretty much stopped functioning (no one around me knew why of course, in person). I eventually decided to try to live, partially because it seemed like the best thing to do and all that "he'd want me to be happy" stuff, but to be honest also partially because I was (and still am) scared shitless of death. It seems entirely too plausible that when you die you just stop existing, and nothing is more horrifying to me than that possibility. It would mean he's completely and utterly gone, and if I die, I would be too. I can't risk making that happen early even if it is an inevitability.

It makes you dwell on the subject of the afterlife a lot, assuming you don't have a steady religion you're really sure about. I desperately hope there is one of some sort.

It also makes you feel sort of deadened, in a way I fear might be permanent (I'm hoping that something will change it someday, but I don't know). Like part of your emotions aren't functioning anymore, and you're just blank and empty all the time.

Avoid it at all costs for as long as you can, although that goes without saying.

ctrl-alt-delete
03-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Four years ago from yesterday, March 26th, I lost my brother to suicide.

He was not the closest person to me...but it hurts every single day.

So it hurts to hear you guys talk about suicide also.

Mookie...even if you lost your son...would you want to cause the same pain to whoever feels that way about you?

rock_nog
03-27-2008, 09:47 PM
I'm a walking train wreck as it is. Can't imagine the possibility.

I don't know if I'd commit suicide - but I'd definitely lose all sense of self-preservation. I'm terrible at coping in general - heck, I can barely handle break-ups. Selfish as it sounds, I'm glad I'm the oldest sibling in my family (got six younger sisters and one younger brother) - statistically speaking, I've got a better chance at being the first to go. I know, I'm a horrible person for saying it, but I just don't know how I'd get by if something happened to one of my siblings.

Lilith
03-27-2008, 09:59 PM
---

The_Amaster
03-27-2008, 10:07 PM
I can cope with grief, but it's by completely cutting off my emotions.
I'd be fine at work, and stuff, but with friends and others I'd just be...dead.
My "emotion lock" is all encompassing, only when I really think I'm over the persons death (in this case probably never) could I show really anything at all.
I've had to do it twice in the past and both times people have commented on it.

Gerudo
03-29-2008, 05:40 PM
i had a nightmare last night that my fiance for some reason left me, and i woke up, with the same feeling, as if it had happened in real life. i was so scared, i got ahold of her to re-enforce that it was in fact a nightmare. ironically she had a nightmare as well and we woke up at exactly the same time. it was freaky.

i tell you, feeling absolutely crushed is a terrible feeling i wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, so let lone losing a loved on to death would kill my will to live.

not that i'd want to make others suffer by killing myself or anything, but daily routines would become severely difficult due to aforementioned reasons.