PDA

View Full Version : Three Tampa Teachers Arrested

Blisspath
03-27-2008, 08:27 AM
In the last two weeks three Tampa school teachers have been arrested for having sex with underage students. This seems to be a disturbing trend. There is still a huge disconnect between male and female teachers and the sentences given. I had a crush on one of my middle school teachers but I would have never dreamed of asking her to have sex.
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/mar/24/three-teachers-arrested-two-weeks/

Feasul
03-27-2008, 08:59 AM
I don't know if it's actually a trend or if we're just hearing about it more. Either way, it's ridiculous. I made the fatal error of reading some of the comments after the article and I can't believe how many people make comments about how the kids were willing participants and they weren't victims. (Well, ok, I can believe it, stupidity just makes me cringe.) One idiot even said "No doubt it wasn't his first time," when clearly there's no way the commentor could have known that. That fact of the matter is, it doesn't matter whether the boys were willing participants. The 14 year old cannot legally give consent anyway, so that's rape. The 17 and 18 year olds can legally give consent, but you have to think of the power difference between these two people. The teacher has authority over the student. That limits the extent to which you can make full, informed consent, particularly in older children/young adults. It's like a college professor having sex with a student, or a boss having sex with the new intern. It's unprofessional and takes advantage of the less powerful party. Plus, let's not hold a double standard. Many cases of male teachers having sex with female students involve just as much consent as these cases.

rock_nog
03-27-2008, 11:03 AM
And yet if these were female students, it's always rape. Why is it different? I've never understood it. The thing that bothers me most, though, is that it doesn't seem to bother most people. They just accept this bizarre double standard thing as if it's perfectly natural and makes complete sense.

Aegix Drakan
03-27-2008, 11:13 AM
>_> It probably has something to do with the fat that the guys do the plugging, and it's the females who get plugged...

Ergo, most people blame the one who did the plugging.

Feasul
03-27-2008, 11:20 AM
Well, for one thing, there's this idea that it's physiologically impossible for a man to be forcibly raped, because he'd have to have an erection, which some people take to be implied consent. This is ridiculous, of course, because first off, I could be wrong, but I'm not aware of an such legal concept as "implied consent." Courts have already ruled that the way a person dresses or acts does not mitigate rape. A prostitute can legally claim to be raped, even if the rapist throws money at her afterwards. It doesn't make sense that an involuntary physical reaction would count as consent, but, alas, it's a common view.

rock_nog
03-27-2008, 11:45 AM
It's not physiologically impossible - especially when you're a teenager. An erection is an automatic response. You're right that the common view is that men can't be raped, but that's not true. Of course, then again, why is it automatically considered not-consent when it's a female student?

Aegix Drakan
03-27-2008, 11:47 AM
Well, for one thing, there's this idea that it's physiologically impossible for a man to be forcibly raped, because he'd have to have an erection, which some people take to be implied consent.

...Yeah, that's pretty much what I was trying to say...

And it's retarded. >_> Sure, it's EXTREMELY unlikely for a guy to get "raped", but in a way, it IS possible. For example, if the teacher would tell the kid that she'd fail him in everything, or some other major sanction, then it could be considered "Rape" since the kid would have no choice.

...And it's kinda hard to NOT get hard if someone's trying to have sex with you. So you can have one even if you don't want one.

Edit:
Of course, then again, why is it automatically considered not-consent when it's a female student?

*rolls eyes* Because obviously all females are pure of heart and would NEVER agree to that, and all older men who have sex with younger girls are just trying to take advantage of them, and must use their greater manly strength to get the girls to co-operate! Am I rite?!? [/sarcam]

Archibaldo
03-27-2008, 11:49 AM
I think we all had the hot teacher in high school. I know there was the hot French substitute teacher and the hot French teacher that looked like she was a student. So, if it's a female teacher and a male student the odds are it wasn't forced. I'm sure they wanted to have sex with their teacher just as much as the teacher wanted to have sex with them.

Feasul
03-27-2008, 11:52 AM
It's not physiologically impossible - especially when you're a teenager. An erection is an automatic response. You're right that the common view is that men can't be raped, but that's not true. Of course, then again, why is it automatically considered not-consent when it's a female student?

You make it sound as though I think that the common conception is right.
They make it sound non-consensual when it's a female for exactly the right reasons. The teacher is in a position of power, the teacher is an older adult who's supposed to know better while the student is young and inexperienced. The problem isn't that it's seen as non-consensual when it's a female student and male teacher, the problem is that that same standard isn't applied evenly to cases of male student/female teacher, or any other potential combination of sexes.

I think we all had the hot teacher in high school. I know there was the hot French substitute teacher and the hot French teacher that looked like she was a student. So, if it's a female teacher and a male student the odds are it wasn't forced. I'm sure they wanted to have sex with their teacher just as much as the teacher wanted to have sex with them.

I could say the same for young, sexy male teachers who have sex with their female students. Odds are it wasn't forced there either. The issue isn't whether the student was willing to have sex, the issue is the unprofessionalism and abuse of power by the teacher.

Beldaran
03-27-2008, 12:49 PM
There was this hot spanish teacher at my high school. I would have given anything for us to have an inappropriate sexual relationship.

Modus Ponens
03-27-2008, 01:43 PM
Who was it, Bel? Mr. Del Bosque?

Beldaran
03-27-2008, 02:00 PM
Who was it, Bel? Mr. Del Bosque?

hahah!

No, Ms. Hodson (spelling?)

Masamune
03-27-2008, 04:26 PM

And it's retarded. >_> Sure, it's EXTREMELY unlikely for a guy to get "raped", but in a way, it IS possible. For example, if the teacher would tell the kid that she'd fail him in everything, or some other major sanction, then it could be considered "Rape" since the kid would have no choice.

...And it's kinda hard to NOT get hard if someone's trying to have sex with you. So you can have one even if you don't want one.

Edit:

*rolls eyes* Because obviously all females are pure of heart and would NEVER agree to that, and all older men who have sex with younger girls are just trying to take advantage of them, and must use their greater manly strength to get the girls to co-operate! Am I rite?!? [/sarcam]

So it'd be ok if I were to spit on my wang, and plug your butthole? Doesn't seem too hard. And it seems like rape.

MottZilla
03-27-2008, 04:45 PM
Who cares? Yes there's a double standard when its a female student and the teacher its bad and vice versa isn't seen as bad. Now maybe there's a double standard because it's TWO DIFFERENT THINGS. Wow, that's a great reason to have two SEPERATE STANDARDS.

Don't bullshit anyone. The male student probably thinks about sex 99.9% of the time and they wanted to fuck the teacher. And we are much more comfortable in society letting guys fuck around. However if a male teacher is fucking the female student, obviously it's different. To make it simple it's about the direction of the fucking. I mean if you don't understand that then you're the one that has issues.

The real question is who ruined their pass to fuck the teachers? I'm guessing jealous students or something. ;p

Breaker
03-27-2008, 04:47 PM
Any older male, especially a teacher, having sex with a female student is taking advantage of them. Regardless if the girls are willingly having sex with them. That's why it's still illegal. They are too young to legally consent to sex. The opposite is true for females having sex with underage boys. It's still against the law, regardless if it was forced or not.

rock_nog
03-27-2008, 04:55 PM
Who cares? Yes there's a double standard when its a female student and the teacher its bad and vice versa isn't seen as bad. Now maybe there's a double standard because it's TWO DIFFERENT THINGS. Wow, that's a great reason to have two SEPERATE STANDARDS.

Don't bullshit anyone. The male student probably thinks about sex 99.9% of the time and they wanted to fuck the teacher. And we are much more comfortable in society letting guys fuck around. However if a male teacher is fucking the female student, obviously it's different. To make it simple it's about the direction of the fucking. I mean if you don't understand that then you're the one that has issues.

The real question is who ruined their pass to fuck the teachers? I'm guessing jealous students or something. ;p
How is it different? Either way, you have a student who wants to shag a teacher. Oh, our poor, innocent female students can't think for themselves and NEVER want to have sex. It's a good think us men are around to take care of them.

Are you really naive enough to believe that female students don't think about sex 99.9% of the time, too? Yes, it's more acceptable for a male student, but it doesn't change facts. I'm not saying that male teachers don't sometimes physically force themselves on female students, but just that it's not the case all the time.

At any rate, I guess it's a moot point because there is no chance for the student to give consent anyway. Even if they're old enough, the student-teacher relationship prevents informed consent from being given, from a purely legal standpoint.

Feasul
03-27-2008, 04:57 PM

I understand that the direction of the penis is different in those two cases, but I also say that that difference is completely irrelevant. Obviously two different standards should apply if we're comparing 1)sex between teacher and student when the student is a willing participant vs 2)sex between teacher and student when the teacher forces the kid to have sex against his/her will. That's not the double standard I'm talking about. I'm talking about giving lighter sentences to females having sex with willing male students versus male teachers having sex with willing female students.
Besides, who's bullshitting whom? You honestly think teenage girls think about sex much less than teenage guys?

EDIT: Goddammit rock nog, did you really have to say exactly what I said right before I said it? :tongue:

rock_nog
03-27-2008, 06:02 PM
Isn't it obvious, Feasul? I'm you, from several minutes into the future.

Feasul
03-27-2008, 06:16 PM
Sounds like a plot for a new Nicholas Cage movie.

Icey
03-28-2008, 01:14 AM
And yet another terrible role is born!

So, to make this not spam, I have to say I agree with Feasul and rock_nog. Neither a female or male student of a young age is capable of giving legal consent so the sentences for the male/female teachers should be the same.

Aliem
03-28-2008, 03:11 PM

Edit:

There are different kinds of rape. The typical "surprise sex" kind of rape, and statutory rape, which is sex with an underage individual. So, whether the lil' boy was ok with it or not, it's still rape.