PDA

View Full Version : Pottermania lives on in college classrooms

Prrkitty
03-25-2008, 03:57 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/books/03/25/cnnu.potter/index.html

Quote: Drawing on their expertise in theology, children's literature, globalization studies and even the history of witchcraft, professors have been able to use Harry Potter to attract crowds of students eager to take on a disciplined study of the books.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who would have thought, when the books first came out, just how globally they would be embraced, touted and studied?

I am also awed at how the books are used for study looking deeper into theology. Even though I consider myself a Christian, over the years I've read books on witchcraft and such ... because, to a point, I do believe in it. But I suppose the college courses are not so much embracing witchcraft... but more the bigger picture of "good vs evil", "dark vs light"... etc.

Beldaran
03-25-2008, 06:45 PM
I'm glad to see that colleges are still offering a quality liberal arts education where passionate, artistic people can come together and learn everything they will need to know to one day cook my hamburger and deliver my pizza.

DarkDragoonX
03-25-2008, 07:31 PM
I think Harry Potter gets way more credit than it deserves. They're better than average light reading. La-dee-dah.

Shazza Dani
03-25-2008, 08:06 PM
I think Harry Potter is amazing. La-la~

Theology though, I don't give a folk about. And this course seems to me like they're going to "teach" how Harry Potter has all these freakin links to christianity, and it's just spreading one person's interpretation of the books as if they were written to be that way. I don't like it.