PDA

View Full Version : Google vs Apple

Blisspath
03-25-2008, 12:25 AM
Let me first clarify that I am a Mac guy. I own a Macbook and a Powerbook laptop but use Mozilla instead of Safari as my browser. Safari is a little quicker but Firefox has more bells and whistles. I was a surprised to see how upset that the CEO of Mozilla was that Apple was releasing a Safari update along with an iTunes download. Safari is Apple's default browser and Mozilla who is partially owned by Google should not be whining about what Apple chooses to offer as a download. To me its no different than Microsoft pushing IE7 downloads with new PCs. I have always questioned Mozilla's strategy of giving away a great browser for free. I would give them 20-30 bucks if they chose to sell it.
http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=8286

Masamune
03-25-2008, 01:23 AM
Safari has never impressed me anyway. I still think Firefox is the way to go for both Mac and Windows. (and linux)

War Lord
03-25-2008, 03:41 AM
I was pissed when I updated iTunes and found Safari to be installed as well.
I wanted to update iTunes, not update iTunes AND download and install Safari.

The_Amaster
03-25-2008, 09:44 AM
Yeah, Firefox is way better than Safari.
And yeah, I'm a Mac guy as well.

I don't see why the CEO is mad though. If Safari comes bundled and people still choose Firefox over it, what's going to make them switch back because of one update?

AlphaDawg
03-25-2008, 01:38 PM
I'm giving Windows Safari an extended trial run right now. So far Firefox is still ahead. Here's a partial list of my gripes:

- There isn't a "set as desktop wallpaper" option in Safari.
- You can't choose to open new windows in a new tab instead.
- Windows Media links don't do jack unless you install the WMP Firefox plug-in which I hate. Firefox just opens up Windows Media Player... much better.
- You can't arrange your bookmarks from within the Bookmarks bar.
- This is actually the second time I'm typing this reply. Why, you ask? The only way to arrange your bookmarks in Safari involves opening a new page, which wiped out my initial reply.

As for pros... Safari does seem to be slightly faster.

phattonez
03-25-2008, 01:43 PM
How does it fare in terms of memory usage?

AlphaDawg
03-25-2008, 03:08 PM
How does it fare in terms of memory usage?Well, let's see... one Safari window showing only this page eats up 49260K, while one Firefox window showing only this page eats up 35800K. So another victory for Firefox!

AtmaWeapon
03-25-2008, 10:35 PM
It's pretty much the reason why I'm moving away from iTunes as my player of choice; first it was QuickTime, now it's Safari. It's hyperbolic but I swear in a year or so you'll have to download some kind of OS X on a live CD just to run iTunes.

Starkist
03-25-2008, 11:00 PM
Safari sucks. It sucks on the Mac, it sucks more in Windows. If Microsoft did anything like this they would raked across the coals for abusing their position.

The_Amaster
03-26-2008, 09:35 AM
You mean like a stupid little pop up that keeps asking me if I want to upgrade Internet Explorer, which I don't use anymore and cant find anyway to disable.

Archibaldo
03-27-2008, 11:54 AM
You can choose just to update iTunes. When it asks you to update it shows a list of things that will be installed and you can uncheck all the ones you don't want.