PDA

View Full Version : Treasure chests!

Revfan9
03-24-2008, 12:44 AM
I give up. How do you put an item in a treasure chest (The new combos, not the old 2.10 way)?

Pineconn
03-24-2008, 01:01 AM
1) Set up a combo as Treasure Chest (and solid - don't forget graphic).
2) Set the combo's flag type as #10 Armos (-> Item).
3) Place it on the screen.
4) Set the room type as Secret Item and the secret item as whatever you want.

You maaay not have to do step 2. I haven't really played with the treasure chest combo too much.

Revfan9
03-24-2008, 01:08 AM
Secret Item? There is no room type called that. There's "Special Item", but that doesn't work when I try it.

Pineconn
03-24-2008, 01:14 AM
Oops, I meant that. Yep, Special Item. It's pretty late here. I need bedrest.

Are you setting the secret item and not just the item? I could make a tiny instructional video....

Revfan9
03-24-2008, 03:07 AM
Nevermind, got it working. Stupid me thought you could put it down with Inherent Flags, but you have to use normal flags. Thanks.

Joe123
03-24-2008, 05:26 AM
You mean the flag 10?

You can do it with inherent flags :confused:

Revfan9
03-24-2008, 05:42 AM
Huh? That's weird, it wouldn't work for me when I did it with inherent flags.

Joe123
03-24-2008, 05:51 AM
I'm quite sure you can anyway.
I'm gonna go check that.

Revfan9
03-24-2008, 06:26 AM
Actually, another question while this topic is still relevant. How do I stop bombs from being dropped by enemies? It's kindof important for my quest that the player doesn't get bombs until a specific point. <.< Also, how do I change the system sound effects of stuff? My main quip is that the built-in sound effect for when a fairy appears is the same as when a message box appears, which I certainly do not want.

Me = Nub

Limzo
03-24-2008, 06:48 AM
Hmm.

Having not used ZQuest since before Christmas, I may be wrong, but the only way I can think of is by manually editing in the enemy editor, which items can be dropped by monsters and which cannot.

Joe123
03-24-2008, 07:43 AM
Yes, they do work with inherent flags.

You could:
Use bomb bags, so the player can't actually get any until a certain point.
Set the bob max to 0, so they player can't get any that way either, if you don't want to use bomb bags.
Go to all enemies you want to use up until that point, and change their item drop sets.
Make duplicate enemies so you can keep them with the old drop sets too.
Only use enemies that don't drop bombs until then
Go to the item editor, and change the 'bomb' item to be something else. Enemies will never drop bombs if you do that

Quest->Sound Effects.
I don't think you can separate those two though.

You could use this script instead:

ffc script message{
void run(int m){
Waitframes(3);
Screen->Message(m);
}
}
Where 'D0' is the message to play on that screen.
So then you'll have no sound effect.
Or I could add one to the script.
Or you could =P

Hey Limzo!

Revfan9
03-24-2008, 08:36 AM
I think I'm going to take the Bomb Bag option, but how do you go about setting that up?

As well, I also need to figure out how to get the frame to go away after the message string disappears. Otherwise, scripts would be a somewhat viable option.

Joe123
03-24-2008, 10:15 AM
Set the bomb max in Init. Data to 0, and then give Link a Bomb Bag item, and it'll raise his max bombs to the amount it says on that item.

You'll also probably want to add an entry for it to your subscreen, although that's not essential.

The frame should go away by default I think :confused:
Mine do anyway.

Maybe it's another quest rule?

Revfan9
03-24-2008, 11:11 AM
...wtf. You can put a frame on the text now!?

I hate being out of the loop for so long. Ah well. I was doing it the old way where you put the frame on layer 6. Makes it much more convenient for me rather than trying to use the draw functions in Zasm anyway.

While I'm at it, I hear there's a test mode about. I remember using it before, but how do I use it again? <.<

Joe123
03-24-2008, 11:49 AM
Heh, beats doing on layers by far.

Press 'X'.

Revfan9
03-24-2008, 12:15 PM
My only quip with it is that it ignores transparency unless the frame is in 8-bit color, but that's not too much of a problem. You also can't make the frames translucent like my old ones, but I just switched to new frames. I like these better anyway.

And while I'm going on with this, another cosmetic issue. I want the tune of when you hold up a heart container to be different from other items, like in the official Zeldas. Any idea on how to do this, even with scripts?

Joe123
03-24-2008, 01:52 PM
You can use transparency if you use 8-bit mode?!

What?!

And I think you can change the item-pickup tone for each item in the item editor.

Revfan9
03-24-2008, 01:59 PM
Well not translucency, I more or less meant that you can make the edges rounded instead of it being a solid rectangle, for example. Actually you can probably do that with 4-bit graphics too, and I was just doing something wrong. *shrug*

I knew that you could change the pickup tone, I mean the animation where Link holds up the Heart Container. I wanted to change the "Da du du daaaaahhh!!!" to something else.

Joe123
03-24-2008, 03:10 PM
You can't use translucency no, but I didn't realise that you could put transparency on any message borders at all.

Isn't that the same as the pickup tone?

Actually, go to the last tab on the screen data for that screen, you might be able to change something like that there.

The_Amaster
03-24-2008, 03:10 PM
The screen data should have an "Item Sound" or something. I know because I was doing the exact thing in my quest. When you get important items it goes "Nu nu nununununununun nuh nuh nuh NAH!"

EDIT: Joe beat me to it.

Revfan9
03-25-2008, 02:19 AM
Well good to see that I was at least helpful for something :P

One last thing with the Sound effects, and I'm done with those questions. Any way to change the music that plays when you get a Triforce Piece?

Also, is there anyway to Copy a subscreen and edit it? I just finished my "Triforce" Subscreen, but I don't wanna do all of that again with the Dungeon Map subscreen...

Joe123
03-25-2008, 06:38 AM
Yah, go to the item editor and there's a box where you can change what midi plays I believe.

And yes.
You have to export it, and then re-import it over a blank slot.