PDA

View Full Version : They tried to get me to reenlist...

Brasel
03-19-2008, 03:18 AM
So I was offered $20,000 to reenlist for 6 more years in the army. I declined right in front of the battalion commander. He was shocked that I turned down the money. He asked me why I would turn that much down, and I said that reenlisting and staying army would be the easy way out.

"Easy way out?" he asked me, "call me in three years when you're making 5 dollars an hour and tell me how much you like it. The army isn't easy, you must want it hard."

"No sir, its not like that at all." I said to him, when my friend butted in saying that I can make a lot of money doing what I do on the outside. I thought thanks man, but I need to let him know what I really think.

"Sir, no disrespect, but I wake up every day knowing theres something else out there for me. Theres more to life than living my every waking moment following someone else's orders. I need to live my own life, not the life others make for me. People make it every day on the outside, so who's to say that I can't? I think its rather presumptuous of you to think that I'll only make 5 dollars an hour working some shit job in the civilian world. I'm actually offended, sir."

This enlisted E-4 CPL said that to a Lieutenant Colonel O-5 Battalion Commander. I am so sick of the army and the fucking propaganda they fill the soldiers with. All I ever hear is how its impossible to make it in the civilian world and the only smart decision to make is to stay in for 20 years and retire off of the military. I can't deny that the benefits and the retirement plan of the U.S. military are outstanding, but theres other things out there. I know far to many people doing well for themselves who aren't military.

The Colonel had nothing to argue my point, other than "Well, you must not have the warrior's calling. I'm sorry I wasted your time."

I was for sure I'd be in trouble for it, but I haven't heard anything for days.

So, yeah, I'm getting the fuck out of the army. I'm working on my CCNA right now and after I get that, I'm going to go ahead and do my A+ and my Net+ Certifications so I can get a decent job when I get out. My goal? Not to regret getting out.

Icey
03-19-2008, 03:25 AM
I'm happy for you, man. I don't think a military career is necessarily a bad thing, but the idea that you can't make it any where else is bullshit. I'm sure you'll do well, and you won't have to sacrifice your independence or stay away from home.

Mitsukara
03-19-2008, 04:02 AM
I've no problem with those who choose to be in the military, though I would never, ever do it in a million years myself of course ^^'

You seem to have a pretty good life, you've always seemed very happy with your marriage in particular, so I say, good for you! You're figuring out what you want to do with life and going with it. Anyone trying to give you crap about "quitting" can stick it.

Good luck! May your career be better than what mine is right now! XD

Revfan9
03-19-2008, 04:16 AM
...Actually I have no idea whether you're in active army or whatnot, so I'm not entirely sure if this at all pertains to the topic at hand, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that finding people willing to risk their lives everyday is a bit of a challenge and it's a good idea to try to hold onto anyone they can find. So it isn't completely senseless that they would be pushy about it.

But that aside, good for you...?

Brasel
03-19-2008, 04:45 AM
Yeah, I'm in Iraq right now.

Darth Marsden
03-19-2008, 05:20 AM
Well, it's good to hear that you'll be getting out. It's always unnerving knowing someone who's over there, even if it is only in passing. I had no idea the army in the US was quite that bad, though to be honest, it doesn't surprise me as much as I thought it would.

Any idea when you come back?
And when you'll add me to your Wii Contacts list? :p

Aegix Drakan
03-19-2008, 09:48 AM
Wow...good for you Anthony! :P That took guts.

Just come home safe, and good luck finding your new path in life!

Lilith
03-19-2008, 09:50 AM
---

Beldaran
03-19-2008, 02:06 PM
Try going into law enforcement. You get paid well, it's not as dangerous as Iraq, you get a cool uniform, and you get to whoop a little ass now and then.

Prrkitty
03-19-2008, 02:59 PM
Anthony... I respect you so very very much and thank you daily... hell damn near hourly for what you do for our, and your, country.

But so ya know... the military does make the retirement packages look "golden" when you're looking at them - from afar. But they're all lies. My father, when he enlisted in the Air Force (when he was 16 (yes he lied about his age)) was promised a lot of stuff for retirement (if they made the military their career). Most of what was offered and promised never happened. They, the guys enlisting, were promised that their health care would be *TOTALLY* covered... it's not happened. I don't know all the details of what wasn't or hasn't happened. But I do know most of the guys that flew with the 'ol man aren't getting the stuff promised to them.

Get out babe... as soon as you can. You've given them enough of your time.
<hug>

Breaker
03-19-2008, 05:33 PM
What a joke. You should have laughed in his face and said nothing more. You can make much, much, much more than that "on the outside". What a load of bullshit. You can make 20 grand in a few months outside of the military. I made more than that last year alone and I only have a highschool diploma.. I don't have a high paying job either. Don't waste another 6 years and risk your life for that shit.

Starkist
03-19-2008, 07:34 PM
At my old job I made $11.50 /hr, and that was after two years. I started at $8 /hr, which is barely over Washington's inflated minimum wage. At that point, enlisting in the Navy (something I've often considered) was a good deal. I had no benefits and little vacation, but worked hard.

Those two years of dues paid off though, in my current job with a local school district. I am doing the same things I was doing earlier, but without the pressure and the management. I am making twice what I did before, with ample vacation and benefits. The military, at this point, would be a massive pay cut.

However, if I live my life without serving in the military I will never be able to say that I served, that I did that. I honor you for your service Anthony, but now that it's done, go see what the rest of the world can be for you.

Glitch
03-20-2008, 02:03 AM
I don't support the military, but I do support the troops.

Shit like this even makes me feel good that those are my opinions.

moocow
03-20-2008, 07:50 AM
I have a really good friend who wanted to enlist recently... He's 27 years old, has a wife and he's adopted her daughter... I'm like, "Why?" He had no good reason, other than money. He didn't go, thankfully. It'd be different if he was younger and didn't have responsibilities like... a child..

AlexMax
03-20-2008, 07:50 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, this is the feel good thread of the week right here.

Great job Anthony. Get home soon so you can start enjoying civilian life. You've earned it.

Brasel
03-20-2008, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the support guys...even those of you deciding to be unintelligibly sarcastic :P

Our commander is notorious for constantly badgering people to reenlist until they give in and do it or until they get out of the army. I'm surprised he hasn't bothered me again about it, but he said he wouldn't so...whatever. The army isn't much different than living with your parents, especially if you're single and live in the barracks. They take care of you, feed you, clothe you, house you, give you health care...its honestly too easy. The only hard part is the work, which doesn't pay off as much as it should. I mean, lets measure this out...I make around 35k a year during a deployment...and since I'm working or on call 24/7 in Iraq...the math, if I did it right, comes out to about a 4 dollar an hour wage. Yeah, screw that.

I'm positive that I can make a good living as a civilian. I'm honestly really excited about starting my life outside the military. I'll be getting ready to buy a house when I get out. I'm saving quite a bit of money over here during this deployment.

Beldaran
03-20-2008, 01:15 PM
You'll be fine! Come back to the fun zone.

Dechipher
03-20-2008, 03:31 PM
You'll be fine! Come back to the fun zone.

Hahaha....I don't know why but I find this very funny. Maybe it's because of your avatar. I'm not sure. Fun zone.