PDA

View Full Version : Too Effective!

Beldaran
03-16-2008, 01:32 AM
Speaking of government cameras...

Dallas is going to have to shut down their red light cameras because... they worked.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/DN-redlights_15met.ART.North.Edition1.468120d.html

Summary:
Cameras installed. People stop running red lights. Ticket revenue drops. Can't afford cameras.

Icey
03-16-2008, 01:51 AM
Typical. And this is a perfect study in how many dollars the city of Dallas values a human life. Assume the system saves four lives a year as a liberal estimate and two a year as a conservative one. So apparently $3 million a life is too costly assuming four lives are saved a year; $6 million is too costly if two are saved a year.

They better be doing something pretty damn important with those ticket revenues...

Starkist
03-16-2008, 02:22 AM
Governments are not interested in safety as much as they are interested in cash. Every time a local government wants to raise revenue, they either raise fees or institute new ones.

Icey
03-16-2008, 03:09 AM
To be fair, local government has to be the least accountable form of government. No one pays any attention unless something noticable happens, and usually people just vote "incumbent" anyway, assuming they even vote in the local election. I personally abstain from voting in the city elections, since I neither care nor want to make an uninformed decision. But yeah, the only time an incumbent in my city lost reelection was after they installed this huge electric billboard by the freeway that started causing accidents and also violated federal law.

Revfan9
03-16-2008, 03:24 AM
...People are suprised? O.o

The way I see it, the Government is a corporation that can put a gun to your head if you don't buy their products. Since when does a corporation actually give a shit?

phattonez
03-16-2008, 11:14 AM
You're going to blame the government if more people get killed because red light cameras are taken away? Umm, I'm pretty sure that the government had nothing to do with it and the one who's really at fault is the one who ran the red light.

Aegix Drakan
03-16-2008, 11:56 AM
...Greedy government stikes again!

*rolls eyes* Seriously...Municipal government is stupid. As was said, someone needs to DIE before any adciton is taken.

Case in point: My college has this really bad corver right outside the parking. They wanted to put a light up there, but the city denied it, saying it wasn necessary. Eventually, a student was run over. THEN the city finally decided to put one there.

Lilith
03-16-2008, 12:50 PM
---

rock_nog
03-16-2008, 01:13 PM
When I was a kid, our car was nearly hit by a red-light-running jackass on the way to school. Bastard goes flying right through a busy intersection, and ends up t-boning the car right behind us. That was scary as hell. I mean, a split-second delay and that would've been us.

Still can't believe they're upset over the fact that people are obeying the law. IT'S A PUBLIC SAFETY ISSUE! WTF!?

Starkist
03-16-2008, 01:25 PM
Imagine if everyone stopped speeding, running red lights, parking illegally... no more tickets. Massive decrease in government revenue. Budgets in danger of not being met. What could be done? Either taxes would be hiked, or more things would be penalized in order to acquire more money. In government, budgets never decrease. Spending is never cut.