PDA

View Full Version : Been on the computer too long O_o

Rijuhn
03-15-2008, 11:35 PM
You know that you've been on the computer too long when you try to use your mouse cursor to knock debris* off of the screen.

*Dust, bug, food particle

What kind of stories do you guys have?

Beldaran
03-15-2008, 11:47 PM
When you walk outside and are impressed with the graphics. (has actually happened)

When you lose your keys and the first thing you think of is to google for them. (I do this too often)

When you can type as fast as you can talk, yet have had no formal typist training.

phattonez
03-15-2008, 11:53 PM
I don't think that I've done anything with being on the computer too much, but I have with driving too much. Instead of looking over my shoulder to see what's behind me, I look slightly to the left to get a picture, and I'm surprised when I don't get an image of what's behind me.

Pineconn
03-15-2008, 11:58 PM
When you look outside after playing a game one night and it's actually daytime. Luckily I've never actually played a game all night without realizing it. Yet.

When your skin grows around the mouse. (duh (http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/showthread.php?t=101660))

When you actually start to think hard of signs that you've been on the computer too long.

When you walk outside and are impressed with the graphics.

Similar:

When you watch a video of the real world on TV, but before realizing this, you think to yourself that you're seeing a game and the graphics aren't too great (it was some Universal Studios commercial or something).

rock_nog
03-15-2008, 11:59 PM
One of these days, Google is going to release Google "Find your shit." Mark my words - it won't be long before you'll be able to type in "my keys" into Google and it'll tell you that you left them on the end table like a dumb-ass.

The true mark of over-use of computers is when you try to use Internet expressions in real life - for example, saying "LOL" or even "Lawl" in place of actually laughing. God, that's the worst. Though a close second is when you try to click on something, and then realize that you're in real life, and don't even have a mouse on you.

Beldaran
03-16-2008, 12:10 AM
Though a close second is when you try to click on something, and then realize that you're in real life, and don't even have a mouse on you.

I've had moments when, after doing some homework on paper, I try to mentally click on the little disk icon to save it. I quickly realize there is no disk icon and I am suffering from PC Delusion.

Rijuhn
03-16-2008, 12:22 AM
I've had moments when, after doing some homework on paper, I try to mentally click on the little disk icon to save it. I quickly realize there is no disk icon and I am suffering from PC Delusion.

Oh man, I've done that way too often, but it's one of the few times I'm actually saddened, because it's a sobering realization that I don't have a backup of my homework.

So far I'm guilty of what everyone has listed.

Pineconn
03-16-2008, 12:25 AM
So far I'm guilty of what everyone has listed.

Really? :p Even this one?

When your skin grows around the mouse.

Rijuhn
03-16-2008, 12:29 AM
Opps, shoulda said with that being the exception. If my skin grew around anything besides myself then there's a problem.

rock_nog
03-16-2008, 01:23 AM
How about the Tetris effect? I refer, of course, to the situation wherein you've played a game so long that when you close your eyes, you still see the game playing out in your mind? I've had that happen to me with three games - Tetris, Age of Empires, and most recently, Team Fortress 2. Absolutely crazy.

Beldaran
03-16-2008, 01:59 AM
How about the Tetris effect? I refer, of course, to the situation wherein you've played a game so long that when you close your eyes, you still see the game playing out in your mind? I've had that happen to me with three games - Tetris, Age of Empires, and most recently, Team Fortress 2. Absolutely crazy.

I forgot to mention this. I've also had really bad tetris-vision. :)

When I was a kid, I played Warcraft 2 so goddamn much. Sometimes, when I needed to pick something up or do something in real life, I would involuntarily imagine making the green selection box around the item I needed and trying to right-click where it needed to go.

Icey
03-16-2008, 02:04 AM
I've had moments where I saw a fly or something in front of me and wanted to flick it away with the mouse cursor -_-

I also watch a lot of DVDs on the computer and my TV is right next to my desk where I keep my laptop. So I've also been guilty of reaching for the mouse to change the channel instead of the remote -_-

Feasul
03-16-2008, 03:06 AM

Fire Emblem, WoW, FF12, and most recently Baten Kaitos. The Fire Emblem one was bad, though. After playing for a few hours my brother walked into the living room from the kitchen and I wondered if he was close enough to reach the couch in one move. Then that week I went into school and kinda saw the game playing on my desk. I was tired that day. Now I just keep seeing the Magnus from Baten Kaitos whenever I close my eyes.

Brasel
03-16-2008, 04:28 AM

I've done this with Tetris so many times...and legos when I was a kid...and work when I try to go to sleep at night and people keep bugging me to fix their shit even though I'm in bed trying to sleep. Assholes.

The_Amaster
03-16-2008, 10:02 AM
Yeah, I'm currently having Brawl-o-vision. I can close my eyes and see a match between Diddy Kong and Ike in full detail.

The only other one here that happens to me frequently is the Save thing. Many times have I finished writng an essay in class and my fingers have automaticlly moved to Ctrl-S before I remember.

Aegix Drakan
03-16-2008, 12:16 PM
LOL!! the saving thing anf Game-o-vision have hapenned to me.

:P I was writing up osme homework, and thought "OH SHIT! I didn't save in like..an HOUR!" SO I quickly reach down to the heyboard...and wondered why there was to keyboard...

:P My mind momentalrily imagined the keyboard too.

I've also thought "wow...good graphics" several times in real life. And this one time, I was gong to tap on somehting (like on a DS) to use it... :(

Oh, and I got hurt once and thought "Oh shit...my HP!" XD

Also:

- When you can't go a day withut the net.
- When your internet is ALWAYS dowloading.
- When you find that you have 9 million new viruses.

ctrl-alt-delete
03-16-2008, 01:26 PM
Out of all of these, the only one that I have experience is Tetris vision...but only with Tetris Attack.

DarkDragoonX
03-16-2008, 05:52 PM
If I've been using the computer too long, then start writing on paper, sometimes I'll look for the delete key instead of an eraser.

rock_nog
03-16-2008, 06:24 PM
When you start having real-time conversations on Internet forums. That's when you've been on too long.

Archibaldo
03-16-2008, 06:34 PM
The worst was when I played too much WoW. I saw a friend drinking a pepsi in class and since there are no vending machines that sell pepsi in the school I wanted to know where he got it and so I asked him where it dropped.

rock_nog
03-16-2008, 07:22 PM
The worst was when I played too much WoW. I saw a friend drinking a pepsi in class and since there are no vending machines that sell pepsi in the school I wanted to know where he got it and so I asked him where it dropped.
I have this habit of saying gratz to people when they accomplish something difficult. Once I even said it to a friend of mine after I found out she had gotten engaged.

Lilith
03-16-2008, 07:58 PM
---

King Aquamentus
03-16-2008, 08:16 PM
after making a mistake on paper, I try to hit ctrl-z, only to find there is none.

Prrkitty
03-16-2008, 10:13 PM
Played Civ4 so much that I've even dreamed it. That I was actually in the game... playing it... fighting with it ... etc. And woke up in a pool of sweat after I'd kicked Paul in the leg (in real life) when I was actually kicking someone in my dream.

Beldaran
03-16-2008, 10:50 PM
see a hot girl and think "right click save as" (actually happened)

You're into girls?

Icey
03-16-2008, 11:15 PM
I was also intrigued by that particular line.

rock_nog
03-16-2008, 11:29 PM
On a related note, anyone else getting sick of those commercials where there's a mouse pointer on the screen, and it just starts clicking on stuff in real life? It's like every other damn commercial on television these days has to work in a magic real-life mouse pointer. What's the deal with that? Heck, I'm almost certain I've seen at least one or two that didn't even involve anything remotely computer-related. Have we, as a society, really come so low, that we really think of real life in terms of computer interactions? Wait... *rereads thread* Never mind.

Lilith
03-17-2008, 01:08 AM
---

Nicholas Steel
03-17-2008, 04:18 AM
You're into girls?
doesn't mean there are any girls that like him ;-)

Dechipher
03-17-2008, 04:32 AM
doesn't mean there are any girls that like him ;-)

Because Lilith does in fact have a penis.

Reading this thread, I think you are all nuts, haha. I've never had any of these things happen to me. The closest thing is when I closed my eyes on one evening I still saw the Guitar Hero screen for some reason. But I never confuse reality and the virtual world.

Beldaran
03-17-2008, 08:24 AM
hurrrrrr

I hope "hurrrrr" means "Yes, I love girls, and you. Pics in the mail."