PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 Red Lights

FirstWizZedd45
03-15-2008, 05:08 PM
I have owned a 360 console since launch, and have not yet experience the extremely disappointing phenomenon that is the three red lights. Death incarnate for those of us who basically live on our consoles.

Now, my question is: who out there has owned an Xbox 360, and have you had this problem, or known people that have? Also, was it a launch console, and how long did you own it before it happened?

Thanks for the feedback!

Breaker
03-15-2008, 05:59 PM
i bought an xbox elite in august 2007 and I got the 3 red lights in october of that same year. go to the microsoft 360 website and put in a replacement request. they'll send you a box to put it in. take off your harddrive before sending it to them. they'll send it back in 4-6 weeks with a free month of xbox live.

Dann Woolf
03-15-2008, 06:35 PM
three red lights

It's called the red ring of death.

I've never even touched a Xbox 360 in my life and even I know that.

Beldaran
03-15-2008, 07:01 PM
It's called the red ring of death.

I've never even touched a Xbox 360 in my life and even I know that.

Official Source (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907534).

Dann Woolf
03-15-2008, 07:06 PM
Official Source (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907534).

It's called the RRoD every-fucking-where on the internet.

Plus, "three red lights" doesn't have the same ring to it.

ctrl-alt-delete
03-15-2008, 07:18 PM
It's called the RRoD every-fucking-where on the internet.

Plus, "three red lights" doesn't have the same ring to it.

But it's called the three red lights by X-Box customer support.

If the internet jumped off a cliff, would you?

Dann Woolf
03-15-2008, 07:22 PM

I think everyone here will agree with me, that anybody who works in customer support is a fucking tool with the IQ of a toilet seat.

Beldaran
03-15-2008, 07:26 PM
There is no need to be a smart ass towards everyone just because we don't want to use your hip internet jargon.

I think everyone here will agree with me, that anybody who works in customer support is a fucking tool with the IQ of a toilet seat.

I'm curious what you do for a living. I hardly think everyone here will agree with you on very much of anything.

Dann Woolf
03-15-2008, 07:30 PM
There is no need to be a smart ass towards everyone just because we don't want to use your hip internet jargon.

I'm curious what you do for a living.

First: it's not MY jargon. I'm not the one who coined the term and started spreading it, so don't pin the fucking blame on me.

And second: I'm unemployed, but that's neither here or there.

DarkDragoonX
03-15-2008, 07:47 PM
Y'know Woolf, if you reach down and give it a little twist, you might have an easier time getting that stick out of there.

Dann Woolf
03-15-2008, 07:48 PM
Y'know Woolf, if you reach down and give it a little twist, you might have an easier time getting that stick out of there.

Want me to jam it in your eye while I'm at it?

ctrl-alt-delete
03-15-2008, 07:50 PM

Actually, I do not agree with you at all, automatically making your point inaccurate and invalid. There are quite a few people who work in customer support who are quite intelligent...most of which from India...people who dedicate their whole lives to knowledge and technology...instead of the internet and "hip nicknames."

Just because you have encountered a few dumbasses, does not mean all technical support people are retarded.

FirstWizZedd45
03-15-2008, 07:55 PM
@ Breaker: Thanks for actually trying to respond to the question I posed that started this now ridiculous thread. Although, as I said, the "three red lights" aka "Ring of Death" has yet to happen on my system.

Everyone else... what the hell, are we seriously arguing the symantics of internet terminology? BTW since I DO own a 360, wouldn't you think I would know what I am talking about? Maybe not... hehe

Beldaran
03-15-2008, 07:56 PM
I'm unemployed

Shocking.

ctrl-alt-delete
03-15-2008, 08:23 PM
Easy, guys.

Definitely some trolling and border-line flaming between DDX and Dann.

Consider this a warning.

Dark Knight
03-15-2008, 10:04 PM
I had it happen once, a few days after I got it. I haven't had it happen since I moved the system to a more open area though. My system is the Halo 3 Special Edition model...not sure how that compares to other models. It came with the headset, wireless controller, charger for said controller, a few Halo 3 gamer pics and a month of free XBL Gold.

Though, I'm a bit concerned about my console. Nothing major, but the dashboard tends to "lock up" for some random reason. Nothing a good reset can't fix, but still.

Prrkitty
03-15-2008, 11:01 PM
Paul and I bought out Elite last summer. I think that we've had one incidence of the 3 red lights... and it was Paul that experienced it. Paul reset the machine and every things been fine since. I think it was within the first 3-4 months of our purchase.

Radium
03-15-2008, 11:45 PM
I was invited to the XBox launch event in Palmdale and I bought my XBox 360 a day before it was released and I have never experienced this so called ring of death business.

Breaker
03-16-2008, 02:31 AM
If you have an Xbox 360 you should definitely invest in a Nyko cooling unit. I haven't had any problems with overheating since I put one on mine. It runs quite cool whereas before you could cook an egg on it.

Dann Woolf
03-16-2008, 10:13 AM
Shocking.

No, not really.

I'm only 18-- well, 19 in June. Plus, I'm trying to get into the vidya gaem industry, and you know what they say, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Icey
03-16-2008, 04:23 PM
No, not really.

I'm only 18-- well, 19 in June. Plus, I'm trying to get into the vidya gaem industry, and you know what they say, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Congratulations on ignoring the comments about derailing the thread and continuing your personal squabble.

------

The three red lights problem was occuring chronically with my friend's console a couple months back. He finally sent it in and got it back and since then he hasn't had any trouble. He was reluctant to send it in at first because he'd heard some rumors of people getting sent back empty boxes, but actually the repair process went smoothly. If it occurs once and it isn't a problem then it may not be much to worry about, but I'm not sure if there's a certain warranty period that you have to send your console in for repairs within. If there is, it's probably better to just send it in the first time you get a problem because it might happen again after the period ends.

FirstWizZedd45
03-16-2008, 04:35 PM
I wonder, since mine is a launch console even though Microsoft extended the warranty to three years, if that means my system is still covered under the warranty. My guess would be that it is still warranteed (not sure if that is a word). I have not heard otherwise from friends that also own launch consoles, having had them longer than three years.

Dann Woolf
03-16-2008, 04:36 PM

It's better to call something by the name the majority uses for it, instead of the official term for it, if the majority's term is more popular. Normally there's a reason the majority refers to it differently.

Example: Say I was to tell you that I came down with a case of acute viral nasopharyngitis. You don't know what that means, do you? Sounds like a terminal illness, doesn't it?

-=SPOILER=-

Beldaran
03-16-2008, 04:53 PM
It's better to call something by the name the majority uses for it, instead of the official term for it

This leads to ambiguity and confusion, and dumbs down language to the lowest common denominator.

Cloral
03-17-2008, 12:28 AM
Just ignore him guys. He's just upset that someone has a non-nintendo console.

I've owned a 360 since launch. Never once had the 3 red lights. A co-worker did on his though, he got one of the system updates and it bricked his system. So every time I get a system update I breathe a sigh of relief once the system boots up again.

AlexMax
03-17-2008, 06:12 AM
If you ask me, Microsoft is being VERY cool about the defects in its consoles by offering replacement.

The Playstation 2 has had similar reliabiliy problems, and I don't remember Sony having anywhere near a similar attitude.

Dann Woolf
03-17-2008, 06:51 AM
Just ignore him guys. He's just upset that someone has a non-nintendo console.

I've owned a 360 since launch. Never once had the 3 red lights. A co-worker did on his though, he got one of the system updates and it bricked his system. So every time I get a system update I breathe a sigh of relief once the system boots up again.

Bitch please!

ctrl-alt-delete
03-17-2008, 11:58 AM
Last warning for this thread to get on topic, and stay on topic.

I would like to thank the users who are ignoring the garbage and actually attempting to make an intelligent post.

Naturally, in a thread, topics are going to derail. It is just like playing telephone, guys.

If you want to talk about your Wii bricking because of an update, fine. I would consider that an on-topic post.

However, there is no reason that a thread should go from three red lights to blatant flaming.

Back on topic, for the last time.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gaming/xbox-360-failure-rate-30-says-retailers-271487.php

That is just ridiculous. Still, if I had the money, I would own a 360 in a heartbeat.

Even Sony...I fucking hate Sony.

But now that Blu-Ray has won, I am extremely tempted to buy a PS3.

MottZilla
03-17-2008, 04:44 PM
If you ask me, Microsoft is being VERY cool about the defects in its consoles by offering replacement.

The Playstation 2 has had similar reliabiliy problems, and I don't remember Sony having anywhere near a similar attitude.

Sony settled a class action lawsuit over the PS2 and the earlier models being manufactured with some sort of defect involving the optical drive that resulted in failure. Sony for a time was fixing for free any PS2 that was made in a certain period I think.

Dann Woolf
03-17-2008, 05:52 PM
Last warning for this thread to get on topic, and stay on topic.

I would like to thank the users who are ignoring the garbage and actually attempting to make an intelligent post.

Naturally, in a thread, topics are going to derail. It is just like playing telephone, guys.

If you want to talk about your Wii bricking because of an update, fine. I would consider that an on-topic post.

However, there is no reason that a thread should go from three red lights to blatant flaming.

Back on topic, for the last time.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gaming/xbox-360-failure-rate-30-says-retailers-271487.php

That is just ridiculous. Still, if I had the money, I would own a 360 in a heartbeat.

Even Sony...I fucking hate Sony.

But now that Blu-Ray has won, I am extremely tempted to buy a PS3.

You haven't taken any blows to the head recently, have you?

Icey
03-17-2008, 06:44 PM
Sony is notorious for having issues with it's consoles but equally famous for doing nothing about it. However, at this point in time, it's probably been long enough that getting a PS3 would be fine. And if you have an HD TV + interest in blu-ray, buying a PS3 is probably a decent investment. An interest in MGS also helps... I REALLY want to play MGS4, I just don't want to shell out the cash for a console which I will only use once.

Archibaldo
03-18-2008, 12:47 AM
My roommate has had his Xbox since launch and he said hes never had a problem with the three red lights. But I guess it really must be where you keep the power brick. I try to keep mine in a fairly open area not stuffed behind the TV but under the table the TV is on.

MottZilla
03-18-2008, 03:44 PM
The power brick is one cause of failure. But there is also poor thermal design in earlier systems as well as poor part quality in general. They have gotten better though. My first 360 would get pretty warm on the top. My second doesn't. I imagine if I got a newer one with the 65nm cpu core it would be even better. The real saver will be when the 65nm gpu comes out.