PDA

View Full Version : Moving On

Cloral
03-15-2008, 12:11 AM
Today was my last day at my job.

For those that don't know, for the last 3 1/2 years I've worked at Kush Games/2K Los Angeles. I've primarily worked on the MLB 2K series, from 2K5 through 2K8 (which, forgive my shameless self-promotion, is in stores now, so go buy a copy or three!). I decided to leave the company for reasons I won't get into here. Just suffice it to say it had nothing to do with the people I was working with.

Today I was at my desk writing my farewell email, and it struck me that I wouldn't be coming in to that office anymore. Five times a week for three and a half years, that was my routine. For me, it was one of those times when you realize that a stage of your life is ending, like say graduating from high school. It's weird, and honestly it made me a bit sad. But I was thinking about it on the way home, and was telling myself my philosophy on change: It's natural to get sad when things change because you won't have that experience anymore, but it opens you up to a whole new experience that you wouldn't've been exposed to otherwise. So rather than be sad about what you're losing, it is better to be excited about what you'll be gaining. Of course it is easy to have a philosophy like that, but it is still hard for me to convince myself not to be a bit sad. And I'll always remember the people I worked with and the great experience I had there.

rock_nog
03-15-2008, 12:34 AM
I know exactly what you mean, man. Almost two years out of college, and I'm still not fully over it. But that really is a great philosophy - look forward to what's to come. I'm currently in grad school working on going into teaching, and I gotta say, if I weren't, I'd go completely mad. Not that it's not difficult - especially for someone who finds comfort in routine. But you can't ever stop looking forward.

Prrkitty
03-15-2008, 01:02 AM
Every step forward... even if in sadness... is a step on the path towards the future. I just know that this will guide you into another piece of happiness and joy. May your next round of happiness be quickly found and may it greatly enrich your life.

Blessed be...

Beldaran
03-15-2008, 02:02 AM
I agree that change can be a surreal and oddly emotional experience. I hope you land an enjoyable job with another game company. Any hints as to what's on the horizon for yourself?

Cloral
03-15-2008, 02:11 AM
I'm going to be starting in about a week at Left Field. They produced one of my favorite N64 games in Excitebike 64. Ironically, they're the company the founders of Kush split from.

They're located in Ventura which would be easily commutable from here (it would be about 15 miles each way), but I have no reason to stay in Camarillo so I'm moving to Ventura. So I figure to be pretty busy this coming week with the move.

ctrl-alt-delete
03-15-2008, 11:05 AM
Congratulations on the work that you did, congratulations on the change, and good luck, man.

vegeta1215
03-15-2008, 12:11 PM
Yeah, it's easier said than done to be excited/happy when change happens in your life, but that's a part of life. But, you'll do great. Congratz on the new job Cloral! I think it's exciting that you get to work at a game company, being a big gamer yourself. Good luck!