PDA

View Full Version : lol megaman 7. WAIT WHAT HAPPEN TO GFX :O

4matsy
03-14-2008, 11:33 PM
The people of the (in)famous Japanese internet forum 2channel are known for their cunning and resourcefulness in doing crazy/awesome shit.

This is yet another trip down the road of OMGWTF.

A Windows port of Mega Man 7.

...NES-style.

Animated gif of screenshots I compiled. (http://www.filespace.org/4matsy/megaman_rm7fc.gif)
Some sort of wiki page with the download. (http://www7.atwiki.jp/wakuwakusuru/pages/13.html) (Click the "ver.0709" link.)

The game is mostly done, it seems: I've played up to the final boss (but not beaten it yet...didn't get there with enough E-tanks :sweat:) and everything up to that point seems to be in working order. (Save for the flipping track platforms in the first Wily level. You'll have to use Rush to get around those. May take a few lives, the timing is tricky. :sweat:)

I find it a little harder than the original (maybe it's just the somewhat different physics), but overall it's still just as good. :)

The controls:
Z and X are shoot and jump. I don't remember which is which, but the config.exe allows you to swap the order anyway, so...:p)
Q is start. Pauses the game/opens the menu.
A and S are the now-standard Real-Time Weapon Change(tm) keys. Kinda funny how they kept them in, but then again, so did ZC... :p
There's no built-in joystick control, but you can try using JoyToKey (http://www.electracode.com/4/joy2key/JoyToKey%20English%20Version.htm) to get around that.

King Aquamentus
03-15-2008, 01:30 AM
The game has a config file that allows you to start with specified robots beaten, and special weapons acquired.

The game does not have an intro stage, nor Auto's shop (and consequentially, you won't have to go around looking for screws). all eight robots are available from the start too, in a classical twist. Shade Man's alternate theme is still available, though in this, they literally ripped the music from the NES Ghosts n Goblins. Everything else is MM7 tunes in beautiful eight bits. and it is amazingly accurate to both the NES games and the SNES Megaman 7.

Mitsukara
03-15-2008, 01:56 AM
How do you find such amazing things as this and Super Mario Adventure (incidentally, they're grossly incomplete, but "Luigi vs. Mario" and "Luigi's Coin Quest" from the same author of that hack are somewhat interesting too, though the only place I found those had outright ROMs rather than patches so I don't think I should link it here)

One problem: Is there any way to change the controls?

The default controls are:

Z - Jump (basically the A or B button, respectively)
X - Shoot, as well as starting the game or selecting a stage (like the B or Y button, respectively)
Q - Open menu, start game, select boss (start button pretty much)
Escape - reset stage without losing a life

Also, Wily's stage is open from the beginning. So what with that and the things Old-skool points out, it's not quite 100%, but it's a stunning, beautiful, smooth-playing adaptation as I've ever seen, especially for a completely homebrew program... honestly, I seriously only know two programs outright that have come quite so close in what they were trying to copy from scratch (Zelda Classic being the other).

It's too bad I can't read most of the stuff here so as to learn more about it than by just playing. :( Though, playing is pretty neat...

Nicholas Steel
03-15-2008, 04:18 AM
Everything else is MM7 tunes in beautiful eight bits. and it is amazingly accurate to both the NES games and the SNES Megaman 7.

not sure where you get 8bit sounds from considering Megaman 7 is on the snes as is super ghosts and goblins... is this based on a hacked NES rom and not the official snes version of megaman 7?

King Aquamentus
03-15-2008, 12:46 PM
franpa, it is MEGAMAN 7 IN EIGHT BITS. THE MUSIC HAS BEEN SHRUNK TO EIGHT BITS. Do you understand? I'm not talking about Super Ghouls and Ghosts. We're talking about the NES game.and NO, this is not a rom. We do not post roms on this board. This is a computer game. You download it and become enlightened, yes?

MottZilla
03-15-2008, 03:31 PM
I haven't tried it yet, but it looks interesting. Though it's quite clear it is not within the NES's limitations in some of the screenshots. Still, it's pretty cool. I just think it would have owned if they had made it for NES. ;)

They also have a MapDesigner you should check out. Either way this is a very cool find Hyper.

Nicholas Steel
03-15-2008, 08:12 PM
franpa, it is MEGAMAN 7 IN EIGHT BITS. THE MUSIC HAS BEEN SHRUNK TO EIGHT BITS. Do you understand? I'm not talking about Super Ghouls and Ghosts. We're talking about the NES game.and NO, this is not a rom. We do not post roms on this board. This is a computer game. You download it and become enlightened, yes?

so they redid the sound in 8-bit or re-sampled it? because the original game is on the snes and the super famicon and was never officially on the nes or famicon, afaik.

sorry if i seem a bit rude, im mostly curious since i can't read there site and i can't be bothered downloading it since i actually have the snes rom ;)

King Aquamentus
03-15-2008, 08:55 PM
Look, franpa, just play it. Download it and play it. Then you'll do a big OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH and smack yourself on the forehead, followed by a ">_< sorry" It's really pretty simple but I think the game will describe it better.

Nicholas Steel
03-15-2008, 09:43 PM
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww7.atwiki.jp%2Fwakuwaku suru%2Fpages%2F13.html&langpair=ja%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
a better page for you english folks aand... lol, they redid it in 8bit colour and classic NES remakes of the music tunes. very nice.

http://twilightro.no-ip.org/~blackhole89/foo.php (pttunes player, extract the foo_input_pttune.dll into the components folder and the pxtone.dll into the root of foobar). the music is 16bit but follows closely to the NES style which is cool ;)

King Aquamentus
03-16-2008, 02:26 PM
Yes, franpa, that's what we've been saying all along.

AlexMax
03-17-2008, 06:28 AM
franpa, it is MEGAMAN 7 IN EIGHT BITS. THE MUSIC HAS BEEN SHRUNK TO EIGHT BITS.

You don't have a very good grasp of sound technology do you. Shrinking a sound file to "8-bits" means that you're using 8 bit audio sampling, which simply means that the sound is not as accurate or nice sounding as its 16 bit counterpart, but still recognizable.

For reference, many of the first digital sound cards produced for the PC (Sound Blaster, Sound Blaster Pro) were capable of 8 bit sound. This is NOT the same thing as the sound produced as an NES, which used programmable sound generators that were hardcoded into the chip itself, similar to microcomputers produced at the same time such as the Commodore 64 and ZX Spectrum. (In fact, if you just had an NES back in the mid 80's you were missing out on a LOT of "8-bit" gaming goodness. Take a good look at this, 100 games on a Commodore 64 in 10 minutes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY2gK1MPgh8). Look kind of familiar?)

"8-bit sound" is simply a lower quality version of sound that comes out of modern sound cards. (which is usually 16 bit unless you're using some modern 24 bit hardware and are listening to 24 bit sounds). On the other hand, "8-bit music" as defined by a music style that was made popular by 8-bit microcomputers and gaming consoles is an anarchism that should have died years ago, because it leads to misconceptions such as being able to "shrink a sound to 8 bits". If you need a new definition for your "8-bit music" Wikipedia defines this sort of music as a Chiptune (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiptune), which should work fine.

What 2channel actually did was remix the SNES Megaman 7 soundtrack with NES instruments. It's a remix, not "shrinking the sound to 8 bits".

Nicholas Steel
03-17-2008, 09:36 AM
haha i was gonna say something like that but it would have probably ended up making me appear angry/annoyed.

the terms being used to describe the music in conjunction with the graphics further confused the situation.

We're talking about the NES game.This probably threw me way off course on what you were trying to say. im aware i used the 8bit term wrongly too but i had the right term in my mind when writing it.

AlexMax
03-17-2008, 11:35 AM
This probably threw me way off course on what you were trying to say. im aware i used the 8bit term wrongly too but i had the right term in my mind when writing it.

Don't worry about it, it's not your fault old-skool is an idiot.

King Aquamentus
03-17-2008, 02:42 PM
Yeah, that's me alright. Enjoying the cred.

MottZilla
03-17-2008, 04:14 PM
Try to get along guys. People make mistakes. No need to attack eachother.

AlexMax is correct there is a big difference between "8-Bit" and NES. 8-Bits is what it says. 8-Bits, allows you to have 256 colors. Yet the NES, has a total palette of 64 colors. But NES is an 8-bit system you say! Well that's true, it has an 8-bit CPU similar to the 6502. That is why it is called an 8-bit system.

The game gets the job done I think. The job was clearly to make it feel like NES. It does that. But it certainly doesn't fit 100% into the NES's limits. But if they had wanted to do that, they could have made it for the NES. :p

Remember guys, get along, don't attack eachother, talk about the game instead.

King Aquamentus
03-17-2008, 05:32 PM
Thank you. Now... let's look for videos of this on youtube/make some

Masamune
03-17-2008, 05:49 PM
Thank you. Now... let's look for videos of this on youtube/make some

Or play it.

King Aquamentus
03-17-2008, 09:43 PM
But you have to download it to do that.

Cloral
03-17-2008, 10:36 PM
Which takes like less than a minute. Seriously, the thing's tiny.

My main complaint is the lack of adjustable controls. It's been too long since I played much on the emulators so my skills for playing a platformer with the keyboard are somewhat lacking. I managed to beat Cloud Man, but only just barely.

King Aquamentus
03-17-2008, 11:59 PM
Oh, I agree, it is easy to download. Franpa didn't want to download it though.

Hypercrash, what else has 2chan done that we should know about?

Nicholas Steel
03-18-2008, 12:45 AM
i did eventually download it though, other wise i wouldn't have known it used pttunes. Also, Mottzilla, the NES could only show 16 or something colours from the 64 colour palete right?

Cloral
03-18-2008, 03:20 PM
On the NES, you could have 4 4-color palettes active at any one time. If you were displaying a sprite, one of the four colors was used to indicate transparency, so you could only have three colors in your sprite. Also if you look at some of the FF1 monsters (particularly the bosses), you'll notice that they suddenly change colors halfway through. Thats because these enemies were drawn with multiple color palettes to simulate greater color depth than they really had.

So yeah, the NES's color display capabilities were quite limited.

MottZilla
03-18-2008, 03:35 PM
Cloral is right on. 64 colors in a global palette with a sort of lookup table that gave you 4 sets of 4 colors for BG, and 4 sets of 4 colors for sprites. Both BG and Sprites lose one of those 4 colors as it is transparent. However the background gains 1 color for the 'clear screen color'. I don't remember final fantasy's graphics that well, but you certainly could simulate greater color depth with certain tricks. Such as applying sprites over some background tiles. Or overlapping sprites to get 6 colors in an 8x8 pixel area rather than 3 color. But you only have 64 sprites on the NES which are either 8x8 or 8x16, so using some to overlap shoudn't be done all over the place unless you don't need that many sprites on screen. Or you'd have to rotate which are displayed.

So ya, the NES has limitations. The more you know about them the more you appreciate all the wonderful games we got to play on it.

King Aquamentus
03-18-2008, 04:17 PM
Still, the game as a whole reminds me of the rom hack of Famicom Gradius, "Kazion Gradius", where everything is made to look like the arcade. later versions even changed the physics.

4matsy
03-19-2008, 09:41 AM
I don't remember final fantasy's graphics that well, but you certainly could simulate greater color depth with certain tricks. Such as applying sprites over some background tiles. Or overlapping sprites to get 6 colors in an 8x8 pixel area rather than 3 color.Also known as "Megamanning", since Ol' Blue here is one of the more well-known examples of this technique: one palette for the armor and one for the face. :mega: