PDA

View Full Version : The Official Super Smash Bros Brawl Thread

ShadowTiger
03-12-2008, 11:44 AM
All of the other threads have all manner of miscellanea in them, and I can't really see them staying on topic to seriously discuss Brawl and Brawl alone.

NOTE: Repost your Brawl Friend Codes in this thread as well! (http://armageddongames.net/forums/showthread.php?t=101621) (And here is the Wii Number thread, should you require it. (http://armageddongames.net/forums/showthread.php?t=94628))

I'll repost everyones' Brawl Friend Codes in here, (Alphabetically, sweet.) and I hope we can all get into some serious discussion about the game, our play styles, our play times, and so on. If you want to post any information you need others to know, such as your Brawl friend code, your Wii number, and your available times, just put it in red or something or tell me, and I'll copypaste it into this post.

ctrl-alt-delete:
Brawl: 3609-0730-6724

DarkDragoonX:
Brawl: 5455-9099-2255

DarkFlameWolf:
Brawl: 3179-5740-9456

erm2003:
Brawl: 5241-1633-6193

Mak-X:
Brawl: 0473-7444-0741

MANDRAG GANON:
Brawl: 0473-7474-1514

mattwdr:
Brawl: 4081-5199-7617

ShadowTiger:
Brawl: 4725-7606-3489
Main Characters: Zero Suit Samus, Falco, Link, Captain Falcon, Marth.
Online Times: Any evening, Saturday afternoons.

vegeta1215
Brawl: 4167-4206-0085

Warlock
Brawl: 2578-2774-1294

ctrl-alt-delete
03-12-2008, 11:59 AM
In the other thread, I will keep the added names in the order that they were added, so that we can keep track of who we have not added yet...wow, that was a mouthful.

ST and myself are planning a match for tonight, 11:40 Eastern time.

I will be setting up the server, and everyone can feel free to connect.

After work, I will take the necessary time to ensure that my wireless connection is fully optimized.

In terms of who I usually play with...bah, I dunno. This is my first generation of Smash, so that could vary.

In terms of when I am available, I will just leave that up to setting up times and dates for tournaments or whatever. It varies also.

ShadowTiger
03-12-2008, 12:06 PM
Awesome. Feel free to edit the first post as you see fit as well, of course. (Though rest assured, the BB tags are my department. ;-D eheheh. I like 'em.)

My current main, ... well, to be brutally honest, I really don't have one. At all. I'm still working my way through Subspace Emissary on Hard, (Don't even ask me about my current percentage complete; I have no recollection at the moment, but I have Metaknight, Ike, and Marth.) and am practicing against the Level 9 CPU's as much as I can stand. I'm at the point in which I'm taking two deaths on average from a five stock match against level eights, but the level nines still kick mine arse around the arena many times over before I've had the chance to KO them even thrice. Bastards.

Zero Suit Samus is looking to be my main. Unfortunately, they have absolutely mutilated the (Non-ZSS) Samus that I know and love from Melee, (DEFINITELY my primary main.) so much so, that I almost loathe getting a Smash Ball. It ends up being a KO move only. Then I have refamiliarized myself with Falco, (Another of my primary mains from Melee.) and have uncovered a few interesting, very swift combos. Marth is, well, ... Marth. What else can I say? :p

EDIT: I just wrote this to a good friend in a PM, and I'd feel awful about holding it back from people. It's not that much, but it may help save a life or two.

He's actually really, really good in Brawl. He was spectacular in Melee if you used a lot of SHFFL'ing, (Short Hop, Free-Fall, (Press Down when at the pinnacle of your jump to fall faster to hit the ground faster. Also available in Brawl, thank goodness.) L-Cancel, (Cancels your landing animation, which isn't available in Brawl, but isn't necessary anymore.) but in Brawl, his attacks hit harder and more apparent-ly. Use his Bair (Back-Air) attack often, (The Helicopter kick.) against people often, followed by a grab, if you land behind them. Great combo.

Do be wary of the spin attack on the ground though. It can be dodged easily enough, and will leave you quite vulnerable. Rather, try to be in the air a lot, and use the boomerang from the air, aimed at your opponents, OR in the opposite angle from them, and land with an attack that'd toss them into its path.

Also, his arrows have been significantly buffed AND nerfed. For one, they move faster. This is a good thing and a bad thing, because although they have less time to dodge, it also is released faster, so it's harder to get it to go where you want them to go without already being in the line of fire.

Bombs are -VERY- useful in Brawl, as compared to the other games. I should mention that you should generally have a bomb in your hand when you have higher damage, because if it explodes in your hand while you're attempting to make the perilous journey back to the ledge, you get another chance to use your Up+B to recover again after you supposedly used it the first time. They also do knock people back quite a bit, when thrown at peoples' feet. Do spam the bomb and the boomerang, particularly in conjunction with one another. They ... ... affect each other. ;-D Heheh.

And now for something on Snake. I just unlocked him yesterday, I think, and have been toying around with him ever since. It does indeed seem that at least half of even his A moves include some sort of arsenal weapon of his. I haven't been using his grenades that much, as I'm more of a closer range tactical Martial Arts fighter, (Marth, Falco, ZSS... ...) nor his Nikita, (At least effectively; I still get lucky with it against people returning onto platforms.) but his mines. Oh my god, his mines are spectacular. ... And he has TWO Of them. :D His Downsmash will (Eventually) plant a mine in the ground. It's a timed proximity mine, with no ability to differentiate between friend or foe. So yeah, don't go near it once you've planted it. You can also charge it for some reason, (Not sure how you'd charge a landmine, but whatever.) and as always, you have to wait for that magic "Click" sound before it's properly activated. Snake's Downsmash is definitely, definitely not meant for close quarter action, let me tell you. Leave that to your downtilt and forwardtilt.

Then, his other mine, his Down+B move, plants a C4 under you. You can even drop it from midair. It's only slightly easier to see than your Downsmash mine, but isn't easily dispelled. You can even plant it on a person's head if you're standing close enough, and can then use it whenever you want to create an explosion wherever they are. (Feel free to cackle cruelly when you do this. You've earned the right to at that point.) ... Right. So definitely use both of the mines in conjunction with one another, and do be as sneaky as possible. Both can only be planted on the floor, so keep that in mind.

Then you've got his Nikita missile launcher. It's actually pretty effective at doing what it's supposed to do. In straight lines, it doesn't travel slowly at all. When turning though, it slows to a crawl. Making a full 360 turn takes about .. four seconds, maybe? Maybe. However, pressing the Shield button will cause it to fall almost vertically down to whatever is available to hit beneath it. That feature alone makes the Nikita a very versatile weapon, because its potential for destruction continues even when you cancel out of the control of the missile. It's like instantly causing the missile to fall straight down to an opponent. So yes, feel free to spam this as much as you'd like, so long as you know where the best place for the missile to land will be.

His A moves are pretty good. I find his Fair (Forward-Aerial attack.) to be a pretty damn powerful one, though difficult to execute. It works sort of like Ike's ... well, anything. There's a very long delay, and then his legs snap downward to propel his foe upward by quite a bit. Use this often, because it's extraordinarily powerful.

Then you have his Upsmash. It too is quite versatile. He fires a rocket almost entirely vertically. Two things however. You can charge it for increased distance. Its most powerful charge actually flies a VERY long way away, vertically. That makes it one of the best upsmashes in the game, as a totally separate attack you can unleash from below. You seem to get "lucky" with it quite often as well, though I suppose it's easily air dodged. Second, ... ... gravity pwns. It falls back down if it doesn't hit anything, which means you have a second chance to hit something with it. Good stuff. Good, good stuff.

The_Amaster
03-12-2008, 05:00 PM
Ah, Brawl...
I can't get on till the weekend, but I'll post my codes then.
I'm currently 42% through SSE, just got Ice Climbers and Lucario.

My Main was planned and still is Meta Knight. (I said was because some people have been calling him cheap, and I just want to verify that I was planning on him since the beginning, not just since he was "good")
Sideways drill-dash is excellent recovery, and his A-Sword is amazing.

Seconds include Sonic (who I don't have, but know I'm going to love) and Pokemon Trainer, who's just so versatile it's fun. :)
I've been fiddeling with Ike as well, and he seems good so far. (GREEEEAT AETHER!)

As for play times, as mentioned pretty much the weekend. More likely mid-afternoon then evening.

Beldaran
03-12-2008, 05:46 PM
I don't have the game, but I've been playing my friend's and I enjoy being R.O.B. :)

Mainly because I remember him from the 80's.

vegeta1215
03-12-2008, 06:16 PM
I've only played the game a bit, and I'm enjoying it so far, but I haven't been able to play online yet. Either the servers are overloaded right now, or my wireless signal is too poor (I am on the opposite side of the house).

btw, thought Nintendo's stupidity ended with friend codes? Think again. Go try to back up your valuable save file onto and SD card...

ShadowTiger
03-12-2008, 06:27 PM
... what seriously?

I really won't (Can't. :p ) deny that Meta Knight is indeed a lot of fun. He's pretty "cheap," but is also surprisingly stoppable. I was facing one of my SSBM-Pro friends, playing as Marth, and he really doesn't have a hard time combating Meta Knight. Particularly if you're fast enough.

Played a bit of Ike today. Found myself mostly rearing up for Fair attacks from afar. It's not so much that he's not a character for me, but he's just so risky to use. It's more or less the same vulnerability you'd experience lifting a magazine cart above your head to hit someone with. You can be stabbed easily while lifting it above your head. Obviously.

ctrl-alt-delete
03-12-2008, 06:40 PM
I've only played the game a bit, and I'm enjoying it so far, but I haven't been able to play online yet. Either the servers are overloaded right now, or my wireless signal is too poor (I am on the opposite side of the house).

btw, thought Nintendo's stupidity ended with friend codes? Think again. Go try to back up your valuable save file onto and SD card...

Yeah, that shit is pretty gay. They could make so much money by making a fucking hard drive...I don't download a whole lot of virtual console games, but I am rapidly running out of space...

Wiiware games are going to kill me, so hopefully they will have a solution by then.

Russ
03-12-2008, 06:42 PM
I, like Amaster, can't get on until this weekend, but I'll post my friend code when I can.

And I wouldn't really consider Meta Knight as cheap. Sure, he's good, but can easily be defeated.

DarkDragoonX
03-13-2008, 03:38 AM
Been dabbling with Sonic a bit. Sonic is, of course, amazingly fast, but he doesn't have a whole lot of "oopmh." I've found that comboing from a spin dash into a Fair or Uair is a nice tactic that deals quite a nice bit of damage.

My only problem really is that for some godawful reason, I have about a quarter-second to half-second lag playing online, which makes timing anything a huge pain in the ass, particularly for a character like Sonic. I don't know what's going on, as anything I else I play has no lag whatsoever. I changed my wireless router's channel, forwarded every applicable port I could think of, but my ping seems to be in the orange no matter what I do... if this keeps up, I may have to give up on Online play.

Masamune
03-13-2008, 06:48 AM
Solid Snake is one crafty gentleman.

ShadowTiger
03-13-2008, 09:42 AM
ctrl-alt-delete and I (And some fellow named Jeff..) were playing a 99 stock match last night, late into the night. I as Snake, cad as Link, Jeff as Pit. Made it to the mid 60's stock amounts before I got a fatal "Connection lost" error and the green screen of death.

Snake is indeed a crazy sonnuvabytch. Have two mines out at anyone time time, and people will haaaate you. :P SO BADLY. XD

ctrl-alt-delete
03-13-2008, 09:52 AM
Yeah...that shit was crazy.

Nintendo still has a whole lot of Wi-Fi kinks to work out.

I wish they would quit saying, "It's all fixed!"

Because it certainly isn't.

Anyways, I had fun nonetheless.

Mak-X played with us as well, and as for Jeff, he is my friend that was playing here locally.

If you host a Wi-Fi Friend match, you can have more than one player. Pretty cool.

Russ
03-13-2008, 10:38 AM
Solid Snake is one crafty gentleman.
Well, he actually isn't that hard to beat. It's when the final smash move comes into play that he's hard. How can anyone compete with a helicopter assasin?

ctrl-alt-delete
03-13-2008, 11:49 AM
http://wii.ign.com/articles/859/859099p1.html

That's pretty fucking cool.

Which reminds me.

ST, you remember when Jeff knocked us both off, and we both did our UP-B move(whatever the fuck that is called), and I just attacked you so we both died?

Right after that, when you did your box taunt which is like..."whoa! XD" or something...

I seriously was almost rolling on the floor.

That was clearly the funniest, and all around greatest thing that happened all night.

ShadowTiger
03-13-2008, 04:26 PM
Heheh, that's exactly what I made my taunts for. :p In fact, I'm sure we could all make a similar system of responses, memorize what we have for them, and agree to not attack each other while posing.

Though I've noted that not all poses actually spout their message when activated. It's bizarre.

Mak-X
03-13-2008, 05:50 PM
Good games guys. I don't have time for 99 stock matches, so I'll stick to about 5 for a limit :)

I reset my router after 2 matches with someone because I thought I was lagging. Hard to tell if its the server, me, or if its "normal" for Smash Bros. The games I played were smooth but I could tell there was a little lag because of a small delay.

I'm about 50% done with the Adventure mode, all I have to say is wow, the single player mode is so developed that Brawl is great as a single player game too. Seems to be the easiest way to unlock characters too.

ctrl-alt-delete
03-13-2008, 06:08 PM
Yeah, I only did the 99 thing because after two matches, it would drop the connection.

One match of Jeff, Mak, and myself...

One match of Jeff, Mak, ST, and myself...

and then the connection would be lost.

Finally, I got fed up and did the 99 thing so we could just keep playing.

The problems seem to stem from the server. My router and connection have no problem handling anything else.

Oh well...I am sure it will all be fine soon.

MasterSwordUltima
03-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Hmm, its kinda funny how I didn't give a fuck about SE once I got Brawl. I'll get my friend code on here once I go downstairs...maybe. :p

Personally, Ike is the man. His punch kick braver is just too damn good. That and he's just a more developed Roy, in terms of character. Aether is rad to the millionth degree, btw. And Great Aether is essentially Omnislash. I like his style, and I'm sticking with him [but I give him the red cape and tan outfit over his regular, more of my style].

-=SPOILER=-

Also, the real lyrics are just flat out parfeck for this game.

vegeta1215
03-13-2008, 09:08 PM
Yeah, that shit is pretty gay. They could make so much money by making a fucking hard drive...I don't download a whole lot of virtual console games, but I am rapidly running out of space...

I don't think it has to do with hard drive space, but something with the online friend code for Brawl that is tied your console. (which would probably get screwy if you copied it to another console) It's retarded. They do need to put out a hard drive with Wii Ware games coming though...

They did the same thing with F-Zero GX on the Gamecube - you can't copy that save file either. If I lost that save file, I'd cry. Seriously. It was damn hard to unlock all the AX characters. Don't get me wrong, it would suck to lose a Smash Bros save file, but it would just take time to get your characters back, not blood sweat and tears like in F-Zero GX.

Mak-X
03-13-2008, 09:38 PM
Wait, you can't copy Brawl save files? I still have to buy one.

With F-Zero GX, I thought it might have been something to do with the player having to earn their saves. I guess this means you can't just download a save file from the internet to put on the SD card?

vegeta1215
03-14-2008, 07:36 PM
With F-Zero GX, I thought it might have been something to do with the player having to earn their saves. I guess this means you can't just download a save file from the internet to put on the SD card?

Earn their saves? What does that mean?

I'm not positive, but the F-Zero GX save data may be "locked" because of the Internet Ranking option. I dunno. It's crap. Anyone who has beaten all the story mode chapters will tell you it is no easy feat. (I know goKi has done it) And unless you happen to live near an arcade that has F-Zero AX (there are probably only a dozen or so AX arcade machines in the world), beating the story mode chapters on Very Hard is the only way to unlock the AX racers.

Speaking of which, F-Zero GX was ranked #4 in IGN's Top 10 Toughest Games to Beat: http://cube.ign.com/articles/774/774910p1.html

rock_nog
03-14-2008, 09:39 PM
Woo hoo, got Brawl yesterday! It freakin' rocks! I had intended to wait, and not just splurge, but I realized that wasn't really a possibility, not with something so epic. Am I the only one who finds the story mode a bit tedious, though? I mean, I appreciate the effort and all, but eh... it just isn't very fun. Wow, though, the video previews I've seen just don't do it justice at all. I can't recall a game that actually looks better when you're actually playing it than it does in previews.

My only regret - I currently live in a dorm on-campus, and the wi-fi connection in the dorm isn't compatible with the Wii (some weird security crap). Grr... Only reason I'm even in a dorm was because I was starting grad school in Minnesota, and I had moved to Texas, and it was the most convenient way to set up a place to live cross-country.

Mak-X
03-14-2008, 11:03 PM
Earn their saves? What does that mean?

I meant that if you can't copy save files, that means a player has to earn everything they want to unlock. You can't just download someone's else completed save, you have to do it yourself.

I had forgotten about the internet rankings, so that might have had something to do with it. I'd like to be able to back up my save like I have with Melee. This also means the local gaming center that has 4 copies of Smash Bros. will need to unlock everything on 4 machines for the tournaments...

I've also completed Story mode of F-Zero GX :) Very hard, but worth the feeling of accomplishment. I only need all the chracter endings and the remaining parts.

Revfan9
03-14-2008, 11:20 PM
Subspace Emissary... Yeah. It's kindof a waste of life. I played it just to unlock the characters faster, but I should have just played all of those matches to get everyone instead. Would have been much more fun. I want those 5 hours back ;-;

EDIT: Also, I think it would be a smart idea for anyone wanting to host a non-WiFi Brawl Tourney to invest in an Action Replay.

The_Amaster
03-14-2008, 11:24 PM
I just spent three hours beating Classic with 10 characters in order to unlock Sonic early.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to bed.

Revfan9
03-14-2008, 11:33 PM
Oh and as well, I finished unlocking all of the characters and stages the day I got it. My advice? Don't waste your time trying to unlock stages. All of the hidden stages suck imo.

The_Amaster
03-15-2008, 11:26 AM
Whoooa, so you mean...

-=SPOILER=-

vegeta1215
03-15-2008, 12:26 PM
I meant that if you can't copy save files, that means a player has to earn everything they want to unlock. You can't just download someone's else completed save, you have to do it yourself.

I had forgotten about the internet rankings, so that might have had something to do with it. I'd like to be able to back up my save like I have with Melee. This also means the local gaming center that has 4 copies of Smash Bros. will need to unlock everything on 4 machines for the tournaments...

I've also completed Story mode of F-Zero GX :) Very hard, but worth the feeling of accomplishment. I only need all the chracter endings and the remaining parts.

I don't download saves off the net, but I don't really care if others do. It's more fun to unlock everything yourself, but like you, I'd like to backup my saves so I don't have to do it again.

Yeah...I planned to unlock all the character endings (you have to beat a cup on Master Class difficulty right?), but decided not to. Some characters are just too hard to use. I did get a few, but was a little disappointed that the movies were so tiny on screen.

Kairyu
03-16-2008, 02:48 PM
Do not bother 100%ing the SSE. You get nothing for it. Nothing at all. Not even a message. Seriously, Sakurai, WTF?

Since Lucario is basically the best newcomer in the game I figured I'd help explain right now what makes him so awesome.
WATAAAA *****ES

Overall: Lucario is one of those characters who are just different from everyone else. It's like Luigi or the Ice Climbers- even if you know how to play most of the cast pretty well, you're going to need to relearn half of it to use him half decently. Lucario's main hooks are his ridiculous hitboxes (and therefore, his mad priority) and his unconventional options in battle. Those, and the fact that "WATAAAA *****ES" is an epic battle cry.

Special Tricks: Lucario has almost as many tricks as Melee Samus.
Rage/Reversal: Lucario's damage and knockback are a little bit below average at the start of the round, but as his damage percentage increases his damage output and knockback increase as well. The rate isn't exact, but it's roughly linear up to being doubled at 200% and then stops increasing.

Wall Cling: Lucario can hang onto walls. Mostly useless, but you can kind of stall a little bit with it, or maybe make some more difficult jumps.

Dair: This move is FUN. I'll go into more detail later.

Weird hitboxes: Lucario's hitboxes are larger/smaller than they appear. His FSmash, for instance, looks like a sort of triangular shape, but the hitbox is actually a long, flat rectangle. Unless your opponent is familiar with Lucario, you can probably catch them quite a few times with his bizarre attacks. They tend to be weird in your favor, so you have some nice priority.

Awesome Zone Control: Dair, Utilt, Fsmash, Side B (running or from a dead stop), Neutral B, Misdirected Up B, and running Down B give Lucario great zoning. Lucario has a lot of say over what's going on in a match.

Smashes: It might just be me, but it seems like Lucario can hold his smashes longer than most characters, especially Dsmash. Helpful for mind games.

Important Moves:
Ground:
Running A: A flying kick. Good vertical knockback. Sets up nicely for Lucario's air combo machine.
Fsmash: Force Palm. Huge range and great knockback- this is very much a KO move. The move does the same amount of damage at any range, so don't be afraid to use it for keep-away or anything.
Dsmash: Two-way force palm. A good crowd clearer, but Utilt is better at it. Still, if you don't know which side needs to be protected, use this and go for both. Nice knockback too.
Usmash: An upward force palm. The horizontal range on this is pretty lacking, which means Lucario's Dash->Usmash approach isn't very good, but that's what you've got Side B for anyway. Can KO, but probably better used as a combo starter.
Utilt: An overhead swipe. Great range, coverage, and spammability. Covers pretty much everything around you.

Air:
Uair: An upward kick. Great combo move at low percents, KO move at high percents.
Fair: A forward kick. Another great combo move.
Nair: Energy spin. This has good range, but it stops you from doing anything else in air for a really long time for no reason. Try to avoid using it, really.
Bair: Backhand. KO move.
Dair: Double downward kick-stomp. AMAZING MOVE. Stops any and all vertical momentum Lucario has. Can be used to help recover or prevent yourself from flying off the top/bottom of the screen. It starts and stops really fast, and if you land a clean hit it's got killer knockback. Pull this out of a shorthop for a great suprise move.

Specials:
B: Aura Sphere. This is what happened to the knockback on Samus' Charge Shot: Lucario took it. Great KO move. If it's not fully charged, the ball will waver up and down like Mewtwo's Shadow Ball, making it easier to hit people. Also, the size of the sphere increases as Lucario takes damage.
Side B: Force Palm. At close range on the ground, this turns into an unblockable grab. In air or at range, it's basically just an unchargeable Fsmash. The thing is, you can use it in air or out of a run, and it takes you to a dead stop. Use it for fake-out pressure or against someone who likes to attempt to perfect-shield->counter.
Down B: A counter move. Unlike the FE counters, this move's knockback and damage is pretty much unaffected by the move being countered. It's got pretty nice vertical knockback on it's own, though. Use it like you would an FE counter- sparingly, to keep it a surprise. Also, beware of pits- Lucario will reappear in air and miss horribly if you're facing the wrong way near an edge.
Up B: Extremespeed. You can be knocked out of this, and it doesn't do damage, but you can curve the motion to go around people. Try to smack right into the ground to reduce landing lag. A good enough recovery.

Final Smash:
Aura Storm: Unfortunately, Lucario has the second worst Final Smash in the game, beaten only by Peach. It's a small, slow vertical laser beam with a long startup. Even Bowser has no problems jumping over you and thus completely avoiding your entire FS. The only reason for you to even try and get a Smash ball is to stop other people from using thiers and getting a KO. This thing is bad, people. It doesn't even guarantee a KO if you somehow manage to hit with the entire attack- the knockback is pathetic.

Control Pad:
Tup: Lucario surrounds himself in aura energy and growls. Pretty good, very nice results at the end of a match.
Tside: Lucario just kinda waves his arms forward. Kinda lame. I think it's a little faster than Tup or Tdown, but all of Lucario's Control Pad moves are pretty fast so it's not very useful.
Tdown: Lucario hits the classic Kung Fu pose. An excellent move, and a great time to shout "WATAAAA *****ES!!!"

vegeta1215
03-17-2008, 12:48 AM
The Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon can cling to walls too. Lucario is basically just Mewtwo, and that's pretty lame to me.

A lot of the new characters are pretty interesting. Pokemon Trainer is really cool since you basically have 3 characters in one. Olimar I hear can be pretty powerful if you can use him right. Snake is a little tricky cause a lot of his move are explosive and you can hurt yourself, but I see a lot of potential in him. Sonic is crazy fast, and is fun to use, though I can't figure out what the heck his down special does. ROB seems pretty well rounded. I like Pit a lot, but all he's really got going for him is his blade combo/special - his other specials suck. Ike...man, Ike kicks ass. I love his up special. I really like Zero Suit Samus too, but I wish you could go back and forth between regular Samus and ZSS like you can with Zelda and Sheik. (and I have yet to switch to ZSS from Samus in game using that taunt combo)

Who am I missing? Dedede is okay, I haven't used him much, same for Meta Knight. I'm not fond of Diddy Kong. Wario plain out sucks. Toon Link is pretty much just Young Link, but I think he's a nice inclusion (I love the Great Sea Arena!) I wish they could've made regular Link and little different.

Oh, I forgot about Wolf! I really like Wolf. Fox and Falco are too fast for me to use, so Wolf is a welcome addition.

So far I really like this game, but I think the Arenas overall are not as good as those in Melee. Some are really great, but a lot are just plain weird. I don't know why they didn't just include all of Melee's Arenas. (they did include what, 10 or so?) I'm sure there was enough room on the disc for them and maybe even the ones from the N64 Smash Bros. I may try recreate the missing Melee levels that I liked in the create a stage mode...at least as much as I can (probably can't do environmental changes, which was the whole fun of a lot of stages)

Revfan9
03-17-2008, 12:52 AM
My biggest problem is that (Not counting Melee stages) there is 1 Kirby stage, yet 4 Mario stages (Not counting those which are off-shoots of the original Mario games like DK and Yoshi). But there's 3 Kirby characters, and 4 Mario characters. Why no love for Kirby? Why?

And really, 75m? Mario Bros.? Those stages are freakin jokes, especially Mario Bros.

DarkDragoonX
03-17-2008, 01:21 AM
A lot of the new characters are pretty interesting. Pokemon Trainer is really cool since you basically have 3 characters in one. Olimar I hear can be pretty powerful if you can use him right. Snake is a little tricky cause a lot of his move are explosive and you can hurt yourself, but I see a lot of potential in him. Sonic is crazy fast, and is fun to use, though I can't figure out what the heck his down special does. ROB seems pretty well rounded. I like Pit a lot, but all he's really got going for him is his blade combo/special - his other specials suck. Ike...man, Ike kicks ass. I love his up special.

First of all... Sonic's down special is his spin dash. Hold down and hit the B button repeatedly, just like in any of the old genesis games to rev him up, then let go to send him flying. The best tactic is to jump and go into an aerial as soon as your spin dash comes into contact with your victim.

Snake is freaking awesome. His down smash is great, and his down special can be used in midair... often, people don't even notice you're using it. His upward smash is also great. If somebody is standing right in front of you when you use it, they get knocked into the air, then hit by the rocket. Also, the longer you charge the rocket, the higher it goes, so you can hit people very high up. ALSO, the rocket can still hit people on it's way down. When there's four players in the game, it's really hard for many players to keep track of exactly where your claymore and c4 charge are, and you can wreak a lot of havoc.

Ike is pretty good, as well, but I think I still like Marth better. If you can sneak up on two or more players beating the snot out of each other with Ike, it's not too hard to land one of his massive hits, but if somebody sees you coming, well... Ike's attacks are all really, really easy to dodge. As for Pit, he's pretty fun to play. His attacks all have some nice power behind them, and he has excellent aerial combat abilities and recovery. While it's true that he loses some of his luster on small maps, his side B is still a nice attack (unless they dodge, in which case you're screwed). On large maps, though, if you can break out of the pack and start sniping, you can dish out a lot of pain. Pit has enough control over his arrows that you can hit just about anybody who isn't behind a nice big wall. More than once I've stolen somebody's kill by picking their target off with an arrow from ten miles away while the target was trying to recover.

Kairyu
03-17-2008, 02:05 AM
The Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon can cling to walls too. Lucario is basically just Mewtwo, and that's pretty lame to me.
Only Squirtle, Lucario, and I think one other person can. And Lucario knows Kung Fu. Why are you busting on Lucario for being a clone (even though the only move he really has in common with Mewtwo is Aura Sphere/Shadow Ball, and even that has some different properties) and then praising Wolf, who is a clone of a character who already had a clone?

Definately agree about the stages, though. They picked some real horrible ones to bring back (Rainbow Cruise?), and then they went and shrank all of them.

Snake's tons of fun as well. He's a trap character through and through, absolutely great in free-for-alls and a master of mind games in one-on-one.

Ike's slow and hard to hit with, but he's got insane super armor on most of his moves, so he can often trade hits and walk away the winner, especially since almost every single move he has can KO. I've heard he's extremely popular online because he can abuse lag easily with his super armor, but since my dorm is lame and won't let me take anything except a computer online I don't know from experience.

Revfan9
03-17-2008, 02:18 AM
I honestly don't think there was anyone who actually liked the scrolling stages, not even the casuals. Why are there MORE of them in Brawl?

Kairyu
03-17-2008, 02:30 AM
Actually, Mushroomy Kingdom would be a lot of fun if you didn't die the second you so much as grazed the edge of the screen.

The_Amaster
03-17-2008, 05:59 PM
Mushroomy Kingdom would be a lot more fun if there weren't so many columns of vertical blocks that you can fall between and waste precious seconds jumping out of while the edge of the screen creeps up on you and kill you.

Are there that many scrolling stages? Mushroomy Kingdom, Jungle Falls...am I missing any?
Actually, if there's one stage I wish was scrolling, or at least a lot bigger, it's Green Hill Zone. That stage could have been so much fun.
And whats up with the Electroplankton stage? That one's just weird.

Oh, and Toon Link is AWESOME!

vegeta1215
03-17-2008, 08:20 PM
First of all... Sonic's down special is his spin dash. Hold down and hit the B button repeatedly, just like in any of the old genesis games to rev him up, then let go to send him flying. The best tactic is to jump and go into an aerial as soon as your spin dash comes into contact with your victim.

Sweet. I didn't even think of trying that. Thanks ;)

Only Squirtle, Lucario, and I think one other person can. And Lucario knows Kung Fu. Why are you busting on Lucario for being a clone (even though the only move he really has in common with Mewtwo is Aura Sphere/Shadow Ball, and even that has some different properties) and then praising Wolf, who is a clone of a character who already had a clone

Really? Hmmm, I thought I hung on walls with other characters too, maybe not :shrug:

Sorry, you're right about Lucario. I think I was just so relieved that Wolf was easier to play as than Fox and Falco.

Mak-X
03-17-2008, 08:33 PM
Only Squirtle, Lucario, and I think one other person can.

Pikachu and Sheik can also cling to walls.

Kairyu
03-17-2008, 10:02 PM
Ganondorf's Chaingrab (Forward B, Spot dodge or roll, repeat ad infinitum) is awesome. The only possible downside I've found to it is that the people you're playing against will probably try to hit you if you keep it up for longer than a minute at a time.

And never let anyone tell you that DK's Final Smash is garbage. If you press the A button in time to the music, you can cover a huge range and smack people pretty darn hard.
I had an amazing match where I three-nothing'd a friend's Sonic using DK on the scrolling DK stage. I got one KO from Giant Punch, another from knocking him into one of the rainbow spikes, and the last one from the most epic FS I've seen since that clip of Wolf on Yoshi's Island. The screen had just reset, and we were a bit below the first rainbow spike, in the area with a big wall on the right side. I managed to grab the Smash Ball, and used the Bongo Beat right away (Since if Sonic had managed to get it out of me he's automatically guaranteed at least one KO). I whiffed the first beat on it, and only smacked him out of range of the move. He used Sonic's "You're too slow!" taunt. I timed a perfect hit, struck a green shell directly above my head, and sent it careening right into Sonic for the win.

Revfan9
03-17-2008, 10:19 PM
But you were on a scrolling stage.

The_Amaster
03-18-2008, 06:06 PM
I guess he was near the top and got lucky.

My best Brawl moment so far is when facing Tabuu. I was down to my last life as Sonic, my brother who I was tagging with had been knocked out, and Tabuu had like one hit left. I had the star rod, and I kept trying to hit him with it, but it was so awkward, and I couldn't control Sonic properly. Now, I'm at 125% so a decent hit would send me flying, and I say "screw it, I'll kill him manually". I hit Z to throw the star rod away...

He materializes, the rod hits him in mid-throw, and kills him.

It was hilarious.

vegeta1215
03-18-2008, 07:20 PM
In response to Kairyu, I thought DK's Final Smash sucked too, but it really does cover a wide range if you don't miss a beat. It still looks kind of funny though :p

Kairyu
03-18-2008, 08:21 PM
I was only about halfway up, actually. I'm pretty sure scrolling stages either stop or slow down a lot during most FS's.

I had been using DK to help my friend unlock 75m (Which was a huge mistake, since the level is horrible), but I was having so much fun I'm considering picking the big monkey up as a secondary. I'm up to something like a dozen characters I try to use on a regular basis.

Revfan9
03-18-2008, 08:44 PM
I couldn't stand playing as DK, so I just played Flower Brawl with 1 stamina. That way, I can just unlock the stage by mashing the start button. I would still say it wasn't even worth it. It has so many damn hazards that it's next to impossible to actually kill someone without the stage killing them first. Mario Bros. is the same deal. I hate when you're against R.O.B. in Classic Mode or All-Star because it's impossible to kill him on the Mario Bros. stage. Seriously, I can't do it. All that I can do is run away and watch the enemies kill him, which they at least do pretty quickly.

The_Amaster
03-18-2008, 08:53 PM
Mostly for the character requirements I just faced my brother in a bunch of one min matches, each of us trading off as the required character.
1HP-Flower matches just felt a bit to much like cheating for me.

Does anyone have good tips for beating Wolf? I lost to him three times before just quitting because his door was so far in the SSE level.

Kairyu
03-18-2008, 08:56 PM
Who are you trying to use? If you aren't sure who to use, I'd suggest bringing Ike along and swapping to him before the battle starts. Super Armor lets you get away with a lot of stuff, and Wolf has a horrible recovery.

vegeta1215
03-19-2008, 12:08 AM
Does anyone have good tips for beating Wolf? I lost to him three times before just quitting because his door was so far in the SSE level.

I got Wolf on my third try. I had Ike all powered up with stickers ready to pummel him, but he wound up taking a dive off the stage, ending up directly under the center platform, unable to recover. Now Toon Link, man, that was a tough fight. It took me four or five tries to beat him. He was way harder than any CPU controlled fighter I've played in standard brawl. (and I was playing SSE on Normal difficulty)

I think I only have two more stages to unlock. I still think the Melee stages overall were better. There are a good bit of them represented in Brawl though, and even more if you count Flat Zone 2 and Port Town Aero Dive (they're just like Flat Zone and Mute City in Melee), and also Battlefield and Final Destination. I really miss Princess Peach's Castle and Brinstar Depths though. They could've been in there. Well at least one of them. Did we really need two Pokemon Stadiums?

Of the new stages I really like: Bridge of Eldin, Delfino Plaza, Distant Planet (I loved Pikmin!), Luigi's Mansion, and Summit. Oh, I almost forgot The Great Sea (maybe my favorite), and Picto Chat! (it's kind of a corney stage, but you get a lot of variety in terms of platforms) Of the new stages, Rumble Falls, Wario Ware, New Pork City, Frigate Orpheon, 75m, Mario Bros and Mushroomy Kingdom are terrible. The others are just okay.

DarkFlameWolf
03-19-2008, 07:40 AM
My new favorite character is now Wolf. Go figure. ha ha. He's actually just different enough from Falco and Fox to warrant more playtime. He doesn't play the same as either of those two characters. And you have to be more aware of his dash distances with his left/right and up specials to get the most out of him otherwise you'll be a disaster master in a hurry with Wolf.

The_Amaster
03-19-2008, 04:59 PM
I got Wolf on my third try. I had Ike all powered up with stickers ready to pummel him, but he wound up taking a dive off the stage, ending up directly under the center platform, unable to recover. Now Toon Link, man, that was a tough fight. It took me four or five tries to beat him. He was way harder than any CPU controlled fighter I've played in standard brawl. (and I was playing SSE on Normal difficulty)
Really? I beat Toon Link on my second try as Meta Knight.
*shrugs*
Different people, different strengths.

Yeah, New Pork City sucks for 3 or 4 players. The background detail level is so high and it's so huge that it's hard to tell what's going on.
The Great Sea (in addition to WW-awesomeness) is just fun because you wait for the catapult and knock someone into it. Funnnnnnn...

vegeta1215
03-19-2008, 07:36 PM
The Great Sea (in addition to WW-awesomeness) is just fun because you wait for the catapult and knock someone into it. Funnnnnnn...

I also like how there are lookout towers shooting cannon balls at you, vortexes that come and change the scenery, and how you can crash into a piece of land and hop off and fight for a bit. (oh, and The King of Red Lions pops up often)

I think it's the best of the new stages. It's clean looking, easy to fight on, offers some variety, has some environmental hazards but doesn't over do it...

DarkDragoonX
03-19-2008, 07:43 PM
Yeah, I really like it as well... a lot of the new stages either go overboard on hazards, or the backgrounds are too "busy." New Pork City would be great if you could SEE anything, and the Mario Bros. stage inevitably degenerates into throwing turtles at each other... it's retarded.

Revfan9
03-19-2008, 07:44 PM
Pirate Ship, Spear Pillar, and The Summit aren't bad stages to play on, but they'll definitely be banned in tournaments. The one thing that does annoy me about the Pirate Ship tho (Other than the random cannonballs that can kill you) is the fact that there's water underneath, which makes it next to impossible to kill someone downward and 90% of Metaknight's kills are done by spiking them downward (I'm maining Metaknight, so this pisses me off). The catapult can also catch you by surprise at times.

The_Amaster
03-19-2008, 08:31 PM
Probably the most balanced stage so far (in my opinion) is a tie between Bridge of Eldin and Shadow Moses Island.

Kairyu
03-20-2008, 12:33 AM
Bridge of Eldin is a walkoff stage, which means some characters can do walkoff death combos on them. Shadow Moses has walls, letting Fox and Pit (and Wolf maybe?) perform infinite Shine/HYAGAGAGAGAGA combos. Also, Shadow Moses is horrible for characters without vertical KO moves, and Eldin is horrible for people with downward KO moves. I enjoy Eldin (and Shadow Moses if I'm not using a character with mostly horizontal knockback), but they're not even close to balanced, especially when you've got stages like Delfino Plaza, Luigi's Mansion, and Animal Crossing to compare them with.

Spear Pillar is easily a contender for worst new stage in the game. All three Pokemon I've seen appear can easily do random crap that completely ruins the match. Cressalia's spinning cutter things seem to home in on a randomly-selected player and slaughter them, Palkia randomly jumps out really fast and KOs anyone in the center, Dialga freaking reverses your controls, and all three have giant death lasers. It's not even fun, it's just a chore to survive and get KOs without the stage stealing them from you.

My favorite new stage so far is probably Luigi's Mansion. It's simple, straightforward, and easy to understand. There's no random instant-death gimmicks, but the stage reacts to combat in a predictable way. And when I use Luigi, I can shout "NOOOOO! Stopa breaking my house-a!" at my friends.

The Halberd's pretty cool too, especially since it's got so many really good songs on it. The Combo Cannon is pretty deadly, but at least it gives you decent warning before it fires, so you can actually work some strategy into smacking enemies into the beam.

I like Pictochat too. There's a lot of variety, but it's not stuff that's going to randomly alter the entire match's outcome.

Revfan9
03-20-2008, 12:49 AM
Bridge of Eldin isn't THAT bad imo, for tournament play it'll probably be counterpick. The Spear Pillar will definitely get b&'d, but it's a fun stage for casual matches. It has hazards that keep games interesting without going completely overboard like Flat Zone 2 and Warioware...

Matteo
03-20-2008, 06:19 PM
Cntrl-Alt-Delete, Mak-X, and myself had a rousing little Smash Fest last night for a while... they both resoundly beat me consistently, however they both used the same character over and over again (Pit and Link respectively). A little variety sometimes guys?

Fun times!

The_Amaster
03-20-2008, 07:27 PM
*taking deep breathes*
Okay, this is it. I'm going to outfit Meta Knight with every sticker I can and go clobber Wolf.
The moment of truth is here.

Kairyu
03-20-2008, 08:30 PM
I'm 99% certain stickers don't apply to the Jiggly/WWLink/Wolf battles.

The_Amaster
03-20-2008, 09:33 PM
Really? Well I beat him anyway, so it doesn't matter now. Bugger was annnoying though.

Warlock
03-20-2008, 09:43 PM
I really dislike the Halberd. Don't know why, I just find the whole stage annoying. Feels like the platform is so small when it's hurtling around over nothing :P

But yeah, definately New Pork City is the worst stage in the game. I HATE HATE HATE that stage with a passion. You can't see anything! It's too damn big! At least with Hyrule Temple the background was light and neutral so it was easy to spot people. But New Pork City is rediculous, and I hate the fact that anytime I have to fight Ness or Lucas in Solo mode it's on that stage (seriously, I know it's old but whip back out Onett for once :D)

I also hate Rumble Falls, but honestly I hated the Ice Climbers stage in Melee too. I just hate the vertical moving stages all together.

Surprisingly I think I actually like Pokemon Stadium 2. With the exception that I ALWAYS get the Earth stage when I'm on it. Not that that's bad, but there are so many other types and it seems like I never see them.

I also really like the WarioWare stage. That one is so much fun, it might be my favorite. It's s shame my matches usually end before I see a lot of the different gimmicks.

I know I'm crazy but I also like Mario Bros. and 75m :D I just love the retro stages :D Though I will agree that both have a ton of crap going on and it's usually easier to get killed by the stage than the other players :P

Spear Pillar doesn't *particularly* bother me, but I dunno, it doesn't seem like there is usually a lot going on when I play on it. Maybe that's just single player and I kill everything too fast, but most of the Pokemon attacks are pretty dodgable, especially if you hide out in the bottom area. Honestly, I get more annoyed by Orpheon Frigate when the whole friggin' stage decides to flip over. The platforms are small enough as it is without having to find myself suddenly standing over a big hole for no reason -_-

I do really like Pirate Ship, but I can see how that might be too crazy for tourney play. Without the cannon balls and the catapult though it's not too bad.

vegeta1215
03-20-2008, 10:00 PM
Spear Pillar doesn't *particularly* bother me, but I dunno, it doesn't seem like there is usually a lot going on when I play on it. Maybe that's just single player and I kill everything too fast, but most of the Pokemon attacks are pretty dodgable, especially if you hide out in the bottom area.

So I take it you've never had one of the Pokemon blast a huge beam horizontally across the bottom area? :odd:

btw, here's my SSBB Friend Code: 4167-4206-0085

Mak and I had some good matches last night, though I lost more matches than I won. (I'm a little rusty) I probably won't get to it tonight, but I'll add all of you guys to my friend list when I can. I definitely wanna play sometime. Reminds me...if only goKi were around to play - he's really good at Smash Bros. He and I were the final two players in the mini-SSBM tourney we had at AGN Con '05

Anthus
03-20-2008, 10:50 PM
0516-7126-8303

Brawl Code.

DarkFlameWolf
03-21-2008, 07:28 AM
Tobias, Vegeta, add me 3179-5740-9456. I'm adding you this morning.

mattdwr and gray0x, still waiting for you to add me.

The_Amaster
03-21-2008, 10:43 AM
DarkFlameWolf, I think I added you, but I'm not sure if it was approved or something.

My number is in the Code thread, although I'm not sure if the front page has been updated.

erm2003
03-21-2008, 10:47 AM
I have added everyone who has posted a code on here, but quite a few still said Awaiting Registration when I checked last night.

Matteo
03-22-2008, 10:51 AM
Dark Flame Wolf, I added you, but perhaps the code is wrong... double checking now...

Adding everyone else now...

Warlock
03-22-2008, 11:47 PM
So I take it you've never had one of the Pokemon blast a huge beam horizontally across the bottom area? :odd:

Not very often. I honestly don't play on the stage much though. And there's usually at least some warning so you can move.

ShadowTiger
03-23-2008, 12:47 AM
Yes, but this particular warning is a faint, small one. :sorry: Not too helpful. A thin white beam sort of flies across the lower area, and it almost looks like it's part of the general mystifying aspect of the stage.

Great game(s), Vegeta1215! I really enjoyed them. :] Perhaps next time, we could fight somewhere more, ah, ... structurally stable? :p heh.

How does the stage selection thing work, anyway? Whenever I join a game or host one, I have yet to receive a single preference. It always picks the stage the other person wants, regardless of my own position. It's ... bewildering and eventually annoying, in some peoples' cases, who prefer to whore their own personal stage and preferences to their biggest advantage. Today, I witnessed the horror of a match in which one pikachu player did Thunder literally 100% of the time. Not 99%. An actual 100% of his moves annoyed everyone else. It's tragic that he won.

Actually, I have been witnessing a lot of BS online. It's really sad to see that people need to resort to cheap tricks to win. I tell ya, that wasn't the case back in the good ol' days of Melee. I would beg to be beaten by a pro gamer any day.

vegeta1215
03-23-2008, 01:07 AM
I played a few random matches tonight and for most of them got Final Destination as the stage, which is boring as heck. I never picked that stage. Also, like you, I've run into a few cheap Pikachu players. There should really be more time after the thunder special move until you can use it again - it's way to easy to keep using that to juggle people in the air. (and it's hard to escape)

I don't like pulling off cheap moves like that, but I have been using the C-stick to smash when playing online because the lag (even if small) just makes it hard to pull them off normally. Some people consider it cheating to use the C-strick, but whatever.

But yeah, good matches :) I've been trying to play as fighters I normally don't use (like I never use Yoshi), but I don't do as well with them. It's still fun though. I do really like Pokemon Trainer. That Kid Icarus stage is a lot better than I originally thought too. The destructible platforms allow for a lot of good smashes.

btw, I was looking for you on AIM, is your buddy name still the same?

ShadowTiger
03-23-2008, 01:13 AM
Yes, it is, thank you. ^^, I'm just rarely online though. Whenever I get a chance, I get booted off quickly enough that I may as well not get on at all. If I'm on WoW, I'm not online, (Though I likely could, actually...) but my Wii setup is in my room, sans Laptop, so I can't AIM and Brawl simultaneously at all. (And curse my ability to rhyme all the time...)

I thought you were really, really good at Yoshi though. That last trick you pulled in the anti-lava capsule in Norfair, was so awesome I don't even remember what you did. I was air dodging and everything, and you got me out of there just in the nick of time. Was most impressed. I'm still figuring out that Skyworld stage. It's easier to fall through it than I would've thought. I'm a person who likes to SHFF a lot, (Short hop Fast Fall.) into attacks, so I'm usually pressing (And often holding.) down after attacks, so I'm very privvy to falling through the terrain.

The reason I prefer Final Destination is that it's not the stage and the gimmicks and the items which gets my fancy, but the one on one melee combat. Close range dodging, ducking, attacking, using attacks to cancel attacks, ... all that good stuff. I really got into it with the Professional smashers who would occasionally visit my college's anime club to play some Melee with us. The feeling sticks.

How about we Brawl aboard the Pirate Ship? That's a mighty fine stage. My sister can't stop raving about it after I introduced her to it. :p

Revfan9
03-23-2008, 01:41 AM
It's only cheating to use the C-Stick if the tournament you're playing in bans it. *shrug*

If noone says "No C-Stick allowed", then using the C-Stick is just smartly using every advantage that you can.

ShadowTiger
03-23-2008, 03:03 AM
Pfft, how is it cheating in the first place? O.o Everyone can use it; some just choose not to. It might be considered cheating if one of the participants doesn't have one, (Say, someone is using the GCN controller and another, the Wiimote.) But that's also like saying that if a handicapped person walks into the room, everyone should drop to the floor and crawl around.

Besides, the C Stick is used to perform midair attacks without allowing the control stick to affect your movement. If you had intended to perform a Down-Air attack, and used the control stick, you might accidentally fall faster than you would have intended to. The C stick wouldn't allow that to happen if used.

Revfan9
03-23-2008, 03:35 AM
Actually, I would expect that tournaments would ban wireless controllers due to interference issues. So that's not really a valid reason either :/

The_Amaster
03-23-2008, 08:40 AM
Eh, I use the C-Stick because I still haven't got the timing for Tap-Smash down yet, and it's just easier.

vegeta1215
03-23-2008, 11:34 AM
I thought you were really, really good at Yoshi though. That last trick you pulled in the anti-lava capsule in Norfair, was so awesome I don't even remember what you did. I was air dodging and everything, and you got me out of there just in the nick of time. Was most impressed. I'm still figuring out that Skyworld stage. It's easier to fall through it than I would've thought. I'm a person who likes to SHFF a lot, (Short hop Fast Fall.) into attacks, so I'm usually pressing (And often holding.) down after attacks, so I'm very privvy to falling through the terrain.

The reason I prefer Final Destination is that it's not the stage and the gimmicks and the items which gets my fancy, but the one on one melee combat. Close range dodging, ducking, attacking, using attacks to cancel attacks, ... all that good stuff. I really got into it with the Professional smashers who would occasionally visit my college's anime club to play some Melee with us. The feeling sticks.

How about we Brawl aboard the Pirate Ship? That's a mighty fine stage. My sister can't stop raving about it after I introduced her to it. :p

Eh, I didn't think I did that well with Yoshi. I can usually survive a good while no matter who I play as. It's not unusual for me to be above 200% when playing people (which might be a shock to some), so I guess I'm a pretty defensive player. But, you can't score points if you don't go on the offense.

With four people Final Destination just feels really crowded to me. It's hard to see what's going on. I still lose track of my character sometimes! As for the pirate ship, I love that level!

What do you think is the best way to organize matches? Posting here is too slow, so that leaves IM and the AGN chat room really. I got lucky and saw you were waiting for people to join you in a match when I got online.

Mak-X
03-23-2008, 12:29 PM
I participated in a tournament this weekend at a local gaming center and placed 5th out of 18. The opponents get really tough as you get to each round. I've got to be less predictable with Link as the opponent I played used Marth and kept catching my bombs. The tournament was won by a Toon Link player.

I like Final Destination, especially the music in this version when the guitars kick in, but not all of the time. I just unlocked Toon Link and the Pirate Ship stage is awesome!

I don't use the C-Stick myself because I prefer to do everything with the Control Stick, I'd rather do it myself.

The_Amaster
03-23-2008, 12:33 PM
If we all agreed to start using the AGN room for match arrangements then that would probably be our best and fastest bet.

ShadowTiger
03-23-2008, 01:22 PM
The AGN Room?

With four people Final Destination just feels really crowded to me. It's hard to see what's going on. I still lose track of my character sometimes! As for the pirate ship, I love that level!Of course. :p Final Destination is terrible (Sort of.) for more than two people. For two people though, it's perfect. My only complaints about it are that the ledges on either side have this hollowed out area that makes recovery a tricky thing, as you can overshoot your recovery and actually end up underneath the ledge.

What do you think is the best way to organize matches? Posting here is too slow, so that leaves IM and the AGN chat room really. I got lucky and saw you were waiting for people to join you in a match when I got online.I should really get on that chat room one of these days. Maybe AIM too.

The_Amaster
03-23-2008, 01:58 PM
hat
I should really get on that chat room one of these days. Maybe AIM too.
Yeah, that's what I meant by the AGN Room.

Dechipher
03-23-2008, 02:42 PM
I've been playing with friends cause I don't have a Wii, but we play pretty much every night.
I can rock with Diddy and Sonic. They're my homeboys, for sho. I also like Pokemon Trainer.

I've got kinda burnt out on Smash, I think cause we played like a week of Melee previously.

JP Blanchette
03-23-2008, 08:14 PM
So far, my favorites are: Lucario, Pokémon Trainer, Snake, and Ike. I've also collected almost 400 trophies so far. (398 as of today)

Aegix Drakan
03-23-2008, 09:15 PM
:D Just played it for the first time last night. FREAKING BEAUTIFUL. That's all I can say.

I dropped by a friend's house for a litle bit, and we played it.

I like Pit. Multislicing attacks + flight = win. Oh, and a fully charged arrow is your best friend for grabbing a smash ball. I fired one shot right around my firends, and snagged one.

and sonic is rather hard for me to use. I pretty much just spindashed EVERYWHERE, and spammed the homing attack...and usually flew off stage saying "OOPS! overshot that one...". that being said...His final smash freaking owns all. I went super, and to the cries of "Oh SHIIIT, HE'S USING SUPER SONIC!", I KO'd everyone within a secdon of each onther, and managed to nail one of my friends a second time before it vanished.

So, yeah, once my work is done, and my firend gives me my copy, I will be practicing my sonic skills a lot. >: D

The_Amaster
03-23-2008, 09:19 PM
Yeah Sonic is freakin' awesome.
For me it's always a judgement call, weather I feel I can control him well, or if I'm tired or not focused and likely to run right off the edge.

Actually I'm using Toon Link a lot more than I thought. He's just kinda fun.

ShadowTiger
03-24-2008, 12:20 AM
He really is. I'm noticing a lot of crucial differences in his aerial attacks to really make him, well, different. Both of my Link styles can do what the other cannot. Very interesting.

BTW Vegeta, great stage. :thumbsup:

Warlock
03-24-2008, 12:22 AM
My Friend Code: 2578-2774-1294

Anyways, I just picked up a CD: "Title (The Legend of Zelda)"

Holy crap. I think this is THE BEST rendition of the classic LoZ title theme I've heard. It's absolutely awesome. It even segways into the Dungeon Theme.

Aegix Drakan
03-24-2008, 04:06 PM
I'm a little bit dissapointed in Toon link actually.

I was hoping his final smash would be a hurricane spin-attack. ...Instead, it's the exact same triforce attack that the other Link has.

But Toon link is still deceptively strong for a little cartoon guy.

The_Amaster
03-24-2008, 04:12 PM
I really wanted his final smash to be something like pulling out the Wind Waker and summoning hurricanes that blow people off, but oh well...

vegeta1215
03-24-2008, 06:56 PM
BTW Vegeta, great stage. :thumbsup:

Which one?

Anyways, I just picked up a CD: "Title (The Legend of Zelda)"

Holy crap. I think this is THE BEST rendition of the classic LoZ title theme I've heard. It's absolutely awesome. It even segways into the Dungeon Theme.

Got a link?

I'm a little bit dissapointed in Toon link actually.

I was hoping his final smash would be a hurricane spin-attack. ...Instead, it's the exact same triforce attack that the other Link has.

But Toon link is still deceptively strong for a little cartoon guy.

I actually enjoy playing as Toon Link more than regular Link. I'm not sure why. His down stab seems to hit with more oomph, but I'm probably just imagining things.

Warlock
03-24-2008, 08:23 PM
Got a link?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2bIbFI6FHlo

Though obviously the quality is not as good as it is in-game.

Anyways, I agree about Toon Link's FS - that's exactly what I would have given him too (Hurricane Spin). I just don't get it. Clones I understand, but seriously, you can't come up with original Final Smashes for them? I mean, three Star Fox characters and they ALL use the Landmaster? Why the hell can't at least one of them get in their Arwing?

I will say tho, I do like Toon Link. It's so bizarre. I HATED Young Link, he felt so weak in Melee. But somehow they made Toon Link actually decent. He's like Link but not a sluggish, slow-moving weakling :P Though Zero Suit Samus is still my favorite character :D

The_Amaster
03-24-2008, 08:30 PM
I think Toon Link's boomerang has more knockback then regular Links, but I'm just guessing.

Mostly though he just is faster. I can get around the stage better than regular Link.

Aegix Drakan
03-24-2008, 08:33 PM
:o what?!? Wolf never even WENT in a landmaster EVER, so why does he get one?!?

I was hoping he'd summon the wolfen to fly by and blast their lasers all over the stage.

The_Amaster
03-24-2008, 08:38 PM
Falco definitely should have had an Arwing. He is the master pilot.
However at least they didn't make the landmasters total clones. Falco's manuevers better, and Wolf's has more firepower.

vegeta1215
03-24-2008, 11:08 PM
I was suprised to see that Ganondorf has his own Final Smash since he is a clone (for the most part) of Captain Falcon.

ShadowTiger
03-24-2008, 11:15 PM
I was suprised to see that Ganondorf has his own Final Smash since he is a clone (for the most part) of Captain Falcon.

If they had continued the trend Ganondorf was in, you would've seen his Spectral steed zooming by to trample someone on the stage, and then would've pwned the poor sap in a hopeless battle on Hyrule Field.

JUST like Captain Falcon's final smash. :rolleyes: Thank god they didn't.

Kairyu
03-25-2008, 12:03 AM
I saw a great fake FS picture of a Mobile home with Ganon's head copy/pasted into the driver's seat once. I wish I had saved it now.

And yeah, Toon Link is probably going to end up top or high tier.

vegeta1215
03-29-2008, 12:19 PM
I've added everyone in the first post (plus Warlock) to my friend list, but the only ones who I'm fully registered with are Mak and ShadowTiger. My number is in the first post now too, so add me! ;)

AtmaWeapon
04-06-2008, 02:59 PM
Guys I bought the game recently (haven't unlocked everything yet but I'm chipping away at it) and I'd love to join the fun if you haven't already moved on, but I have a couple of questions.

I've tried online play for a week now, and I can't get it to work. I connect to WFC and get to a part where it's searching for opponents, and that's as far as I get. Rarely, I see for a couple of seconds one opponent found, but generally after 10 seconds they disappear. I'm tired of smacking the sandbag around.

My Wii is in my router's DMZ so I'm not really sure what the problem is. I've downloaded a few system updates since putting the Wii into the DMZ so all I can figure is no one is using the random matchup feature. Maybe I'll just have to orchestrate a test with you guys later to see if at least friend matches work.

Mak-X
04-06-2008, 03:32 PM
You could try port forwarding UDP on all ports. Sometimes it does take a moment to match up with other players with Anyone.

Post your friend code.

I just now added Warlock's since I missed it before.

I usually check online to see if anyone is on when I'm playing solo in the evening.

ctrl-alt-delete
04-06-2008, 03:38 PM
Guys I bought the game recently (haven't unlocked everything yet but I'm chipping away at it) and I'd love to join the fun if you haven't already moved on, but I have a couple of questions.

I've tried online play for a week now, and I can't get it to work. I connect to WFC and get to a part where it's searching for opponents, and that's as far as I get. Rarely, I see for a couple of seconds one opponent found, but generally after 10 seconds they disappear. I'm tired of smacking the sandbag around.

My Wii is in my router's DMZ so I'm not really sure what the problem is. I've downloaded a few system updates since putting the Wii into the DMZ so all I can figure is no one is using the random matchup feature. Maybe I'll just have to orchestrate a test with you guys later to see if at least friend matches work.

I can give it a shot tonight, if you want.

Nintendo is STILL working out kinks from having such a high server load.

If you are connecting, and the connection is not popping up saying that it has been dropped, then you are good to go.

If you are just dropping players, it probably is not a big deal...could be your wireless speed, among other things, but you SHOULD have the ability to play.

Tonight around...8:00 okay with you? Post your friend code, if you have not already.

The_Amaster
04-06-2008, 03:48 PM
You know, I've added like all you guys to my friend list. It'd be nice if I could battle someone.

AtmaWeapon
04-06-2008, 10:07 PM
OK it looks like my friend code is 2621-2596-3013. I'm putting in the codes I find in this thread. The Wii is in the DMZ and for good measure I've forwarded all ports to it; I really can't figure out what the deal is if it doesn't work.

Warlock
04-07-2008, 03:01 PM
One of these days I will actually add people :) I haven't played much lately though since I've unlocked the majority of the single player stuff (most of what I have left relates to Boss Battles and Multi-Man Melee crap, both of which suck).

DarkFlameWolf
04-07-2008, 06:50 PM
multi-man melee stuff isn't so bad, spam cheap moves and for endurance tests or cruel brawl, pick Jigglepuff and go back and forth underneath the platform and watch enemies fall to their deaths.
Boss battles are a bitch though.

The_Amaster
04-07-2008, 07:05 PM
100-man brawl, two words:
King Dedede :D

DarkFlameWolf
04-07-2008, 09:39 PM
man, I suck with him, what's your trick? :P

Aegix Drakan
04-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Just beat the subspace Emmissary tonight. I LOVE the actual lyrics to the brawl theme... Sure beats that "SSBB theme decoded" flash I saw...

Last bos was so freaking annoying! And what the hell is up with that OHKO move?!? HOW CAN YOU FREAKING DODGDE THAT?!?

Ahem, that being said, It was awesome. I am now trying to unlock the last 3 characters.

I also spent a good half hour at least, looking up Snake's codex messages. Some of them are really funny.

And I'm getting a lot better with Sonic. :P I was over at a friend's house on the weekend, and at one point, my best firend commented that He finds it kid of interesting how I get so much into his character. :P Apparently I fight like he'd expect Sonic to: Wild, unpredictable, and with a good measure of random taunting thrown in. XD

The_Amaster
04-07-2008, 10:16 PM
And what the hell is up with that OHKO move?!? HOW CAN YOU FREAKING DODGDE THAT?!?
*shrugs* Shield-Dodge apparently. I didn't figure it out either, I just picked characters with the best recovers and kept slowly chipping away.

And DFW just keep smash-attacking. Especially his down and up smashes can send most Alloys flying in one, occasionaly two hits, and tend to hit 2-3 at a time (On easy and medium. Haven't tried him on hard yet)

Warlock
04-08-2008, 10:13 AM
multi-man melee stuff isn't so bad, spam cheap moves and for endurance tests or cruel brawl, pick Jigglepuff and go back and forth underneath the platform and watch enemies fall to their deaths.
Boss battles are a bitch though.

Well, I need to do 100-man Melee with ALL characters, which is annoying. I also need to do the 15 Min one which I've just been too lazy to do since it's so time consuming (I already know about the Jigglypuff trick). I did the others already. Incidentally, Kirby in Cruel Brawl is FTW (http://youtube.com/watch?v=pC04Wvd_vq0).

I have no idea how I'm going to do Boss Battles though. I could probably do it on Hard (I've tried a couple times - almost did it once), but Tabuu is too friggin' cheap beyond that. I don't know. Honestly though, if I could learn how to properly dodge his friggin' insta-kill attack I might be ok (that and the stupid magical cage thing he shoots out). All the other bosses are rediculously easy, even on Intense.

Kairyu
04-09-2008, 12:15 PM
Tabuu's really not all that bad. Pokey and Rayquaza are way worse, no question. Rayquaza's attacks are all almost instant and he takes forever to kill, while everything Pokey does will hurt and/or kill you.

Tabuu's attacks are mostly easy to dodge if you focus more on not getting hit than you do on sitting in his face spamming stuff. The main exceptions are his throws (both of which just take practice) and the exploding teleport (because it's so random).

The Red Ring of Death can be dodged by using three spot dodges in a row. You need to get the timing down for it, but it's not really that hard.

My suggestion for boss battles: Use Charizard and spam Rock Smash, or use Fox and spam Fair/lasers while reflecting all projectiles possible- Meta Ridley can nearly kill himself with a single attack if you reflect enough of his shots.

Warlock
04-09-2008, 02:57 PM
Tabuu's really not all that bad. Pokey and Rayquaza are way worse, no question. Rayquaza's attacks are all almost instant and he takes forever to kill, while everything Pokey does will hurt and/or kill you.

Tabuu's attacks are mostly easy to dodge if you focus more on not getting hit than you do on sitting in his face spamming stuff. The main exceptions are his throws (both of which just take practice) and the exploding teleport (because it's so random).

The Red Ring of Death can be dodged by using three spot dodges in a row. You need to get the timing down for it, but it's not really that hard.

My suggestion for boss battles: Use Charizard and spam Rock Smash, or use Fox and spam Fair/lasers while reflecting all projectiles possible- Meta Ridley can nearly kill himself with a single attack if you reflect enough of his shots.

Really? I actually find them pretty easy, at least on SSE Intense (I haven't tried Boss Battles Intense, though I have no problem with them on Boss Battles Hard). The only attack of Rayquaza that is hard to dodge is when he flys up in the air in a circle and does that lightning thing. The rest are not bad (when he flys across the screen horizontally it can be a bit tricky if you don't time it right though). Sometimes his tail swipe hits me but that doesn't do very much damage at all.

Porky is not hard at all except for when he does his fast side attacks. Everything else is pretty dodgable, though the laser beam can be hard to dodge sometimes (but it doesn't do a ton of damage so it usually doesn't matter).

Honestly I have more trouble with Galleom, mostly because his ground pounding thing is hard to avoid (though it mostly just roots you, only does about 20% dmg) and occassionally he'll decide to face-plant on top of you which is pretty much an insta-kill if you can't avoid it. I usually just use a Heart Container before I fight him though and that's enough to get me through the fight without being launched. Duon is not too bad, except when he gets a cheap shot off. And both Ridleys and both Hands (Master and Crazy) are rediculously, extremely easy.

Honestly, I think even Tabuu would be fine except for the red ring of death attack and his little magical yellow cage. The cage is hard to avoid, but it's pretty much an instant death if you can't. The RRoD I have managed to dodge two of the rings but I always get hit by the third. Maybe I just need more practice. I wish you could practice against specific bosses instead of having to beat all of them to fight him (and I could do SSE but he's much harder there since you get 6 lives so it's not quite the same)

The_Amaster
04-09-2008, 05:08 PM
On Boss Battles I don't have trouble with anyone, but in SSE, Meta Ridley is just annoying. That time limit bugs the crap out of me.

Warlock
04-09-2008, 06:30 PM
On Boss Battles I don't have trouble with anyone, but in SSE, Meta Ridley is just annoying. That time limit bugs the crap out of me.

The only problem I had with the time limit (after the first time I fought him anyways) was when I was trying to get his trophy. Because it was downright annoying having him ready to be captured, only to not have the damn trophy stand drop before time ran out.

DarkFlameWolf
04-09-2008, 07:47 PM
you can capture him? O_o

The_Amaster
04-09-2008, 10:26 PM
Is there any way to make trophy stands more common? Only they seem rather rare and annoying to try and get all the enemy trophies.

Warlock
04-09-2008, 11:27 PM
you can capture him? O_o

After you beat SSE, when you replay the boss battles, there is a chance that a trophy stand will drop. Just like for normal enemies, you lower their health enough and throw it at the boss. Then they turn into a trophy.

Is there any way to make trophy stands more common? Only they seem rather rare and annoying to try and get all the enemy trophies.

The harder the difficulty, the better chance that a trophy stand will drop. Obviously, Intense has the best chance, but that is probably not the best way to go due to the difficulty. If you are doing it on either Hard or Very Hard though, you should be fine.

I believe putting +Trophy Stand Drop stickers on your characters *does* have an effect on how often they drop too, so try that as well.

In particular, what I generally did was get them down to a sliver of health, then just dodge until one drops. Which is not hard, but it can take awhile sometimes :P Just make sure if you *do* this, you keep a serious eye on the stage and be careful not to hit them again. I've had, for example, Ridley die because he did that tail-swipe against the floor of the stage, and there was a bob-omb or explosive crate that he hit that killed him -_- I've also accidentally used Pit's shield and reflected projectiles back at them that killed them :P

Also, both Ridleys are a serious pain. Aside from Meta Ridley's timer, both have the distinct annoying feature of hovering over the side of the ledge - meaning when you throw the stand at them, the trophy falls into the abbyss. Yeah. You have to time it *just* right so that it hits him when he's doing some attack that has him flying over the platform. It's all very stupid. I had less trouble getting Tabuu's trophy than Ridley's :P

AtmaWeapon
04-09-2008, 11:59 PM
If it matters to anyone I got online to work; apparently Nintendo is having troubles with keeping servers up (I mean who would have expected online SSB to be popular?) so they are solving the problem by refusing to let you play unless you fight people on your friends list.

This is not the official position of course but it is how I interpret it; the word on the internet I see is everything worked (albeit a bit laggy), then a Wii system update came out and "Fight anyone" quit working for many people. Maybe one day Nintendo will "get" the internet.

Kairyu
04-10-2008, 08:55 PM
Really? I actually find them pretty easy, at least on SSE Intense (I haven't tried Boss Battles Intense, though I have no problem with them on Boss Battles Hard). The only attack of Rayquaza that is hard to dodge is when he flys up in the air in a circle and does that lightning thing. The rest are not bad (when he flys across the screen horizontally it can be a bit tricky if you don't time it right though). Sometimes his tail swipe hits me but that doesn't do very much damage at all.
Enemy attack animation speed and knockback are both much much higher on intense.
The eye blast thing is absurd. You have a second or two at most before it comes out.
The big problem with the tail is the knockback- it KO's most characters at relatively low percents.

Porky is not hard at all except for when he does his fast side attacks. Everything else is pretty dodgable, though the laser beam can be hard to dodge sometimes (but it doesn't do a ton of damage so it usually doesn't matter).
It does depend on character, I guess. It's mostly the fact that he has such an easy time racking up damage on you out of nowhere, and on Intense damage == game over.

Honestly I have more trouble with Galleom, mostly because his ground pounding thing is hard to avoid (though it mostly just roots you, only does about 20% dmg) and occassionally he'll decide to face-plant on top of you which is pretty much an insta-kill if you can't avoid it. I usually just use a Heart Container before I fight him though and that's enough to get me through the fight without being launched. Duon is not too bad, except when he gets a cheap shot off. And both Ridleys and both Hands (Master and Crazy) are rediculously, extremely easy.
The hands, Ridleys, and Petey are pretty easy, but what worries me most about Galleom is his up-swipe and that really fast face-plant you mentioned. The ground pounds can be air-dodged.

I'm just glad they didn't include the Giant Diddy battle. That was just retarded. There's no other word for it. Every move he had lead into a 0% to 60% death combo, but he wouldn't even move when launched until at least 200%.

Also, yes, Meta-Ridley's trophy is annoying. Try to get Big Boss stickers on your main team. They increase trophy drops by +30, whatever that translates to.

ctrl-alt-delete
04-16-2008, 11:28 PM
I am about to be playing, if somebody wants to join me.

Aegix Drakan
04-27-2008, 02:58 PM
Ok...wow...

:D You guys know that country wide Brawl tournament that Nintendo put out? Well, we have it in canada, and my best friend just did the quebec wide segment. As of now, he is officially the second best brawler in Quebec.

The final round came down to him (fox) launching his opponent (mario) in to a metal box...And since they were both at over 200 damage, on Aero dive...There wasn't much he could do...

But still, second best in Quebec ain't bad at all.

Plus, on his first round, he accidently glitched a Link. He was on Corneria (melee) and used his landmaster. Link landed on the tip of the Landmaster Cannon, and My friend ended up at a slant on the top part of th elandmater, with link on the edge of tha cannon, but almost on the ground. One shot, and BAM, link glitched right through to the bottom of the ship.

Also...:D After the tournament, I went to his house, and I decided to take falco against his Fox, for some weird reason...and I beat him. For the next hour, we brawled Falco VS fox, and I was always really close to winning. I don't think I've EVER played that well. :P So now, I'm gonna be using Falco a lot more.

Oh, and We got this awesome snapshot. Young link on Final destination, holding a beam sword. Think is, with his closed eyes, and the way he was holding it, he looked like a Jedi. :P We submitted it to nintendo. Next tIme I'm over at his house, I'll load it onto an SD card and post it here.

Aegix Drakan
06-17-2008, 05:45 PM
OH YEAH! I AM NOW ONLINE!

My brawl code is 1418-8018-7933

:D Let me know if you add me, so I can add you!

ShadowTiger
06-17-2008, 06:13 PM
All my stuff is in my Signature, (I hope.) but just in case:

Wii: 3163-8743-8459-5499
Brawl: 4725 7606 3489

PM me to arrange a time. I'd love to battle with you. (As compared to .. again?) Also include your time zone. Good to get those things squared away early on to avoid any errors.