PDA

View Full Version : Study Finds Over the Counter Drugs in Drinking Water in 24 Major U.S. Regions

Prrkitty
03-10-2008, 01:21 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,336286,00.html

Quote: In the course of a five-month inquiry, the AP discovered that drugs have been detected in the drinking water supplies of 24 major metropolitan areas — from Southern California to Northern New Jersey, from Detroit to Louisville, Ky.

Water providers rarely disclose results of pharmaceutical screenings, unless pressed, the AP found. For example, the head of a group representing major California suppliers said the public "doesn't know how to interpret the information" and might be unduly alarmed.

-------------------

I've always had a hard time drinking tap water... especially if there is a heavy metallic taste to it (and/or a really strong sulfa taste/smell to the water).

And after reading this (and yes I know to take most of what I read from news articles... with a grain of salt)... I'm even more glad that I still don't drink tap water.

Now all I need to do is check to make sure Aquafina does the pharmaceutical tests on their water.

Too many "people in control" like to bury their head in the sand and go "lalalalalalalalalalalalalala". It's time to make those "in control" start doing their job ... properly and correctly.

rock_nog
03-10-2008, 01:29 AM
See, I can't drink bottled water. Tastes like plastic to me. Blech. Personally, I think it's a tough call, choosing between drinking plastic (there really are trace amounts of plastic in bottled water, it's not just me) and drinking OTC drugs.

On the other hand, maybe this is just one step closer to the day when we finally get around to putting antidepressants in the water supply. Oh, sure, I realize the ethical implications and all - but damn, dealing with certain people, some days it's just really hard to care.

mrz84
03-10-2008, 11:12 AM
I heard about this on the news this morning. A little of a surprise to me. Nothing that effects me since I live in the country side and have all my water come from a well. :kitty:

phattonez
03-10-2008, 11:52 AM
I'll still drink tap water. It tastes better than bottled, is easier to get, and it's free. Besides, it's safer than bottled water.

AlphaDawg
03-11-2008, 02:44 PM
I live in Philly, one of the affected regions. I'm less concerned about what traces of prescription drugs are present in the water supply than I am the bacteria and other crap that may be in there. (Supposedly, Philly's one of the best in that regard.)

Hell, I sort of see this as a positive, what with the ridiculous prices of prescription drugs these days. It's too bad there was no mention of "ED" drugs in the report. Then maybe we could start an ad campaign... "unlike other cities, Philadelphia tap water gives me up to 36 hours so I can be ready once the moment is right..."

Being the cynic that I am, I'd also like to know who funded this study... Evian? Poland Spring?

phattonez
03-11-2008, 03:08 PM
Being the cynic that I am, I'd also like to know who funded this study... Evian? Poland Spring?

Would it matter as long as their methods are sound?

AlphaDawg
03-11-2008, 03:54 PM
Would it matter as long as their methods are sound?

Not really, it's just the cynic in me...

Like I said, the results of this study don't really concern me. It's just impossible to get all the stuff out.

Shyvus
03-12-2008, 12:30 AM
People flush their meds down the toilet because the pharmacies won't take them back to dispose of properly. End of story.

If there's going to be an outrage, it should be directed at the pharmacies. They're the ones that tell you to flush it.

I still have bottles of oxy and vicodin left over from a surgery I had years ago. I don't want to sell it (duh) but I can't bring myself to flush it. None of the local pharmacies will dispose of it for me, so it sits in my drawer.

King Aquamentus
03-12-2008, 12:48 AM
hmm... this actually intrigues me and makes me want to run downstairs and get a glass to see what I taste in it. and what it does. Which is a strange thing for me to say. I don't use any drugs since I stopped concerta.

Blisspath
03-12-2008, 01:16 AM
I spend half of my days destroying meds in nursing homes. The DEA makes it difficult for retail pharmacies to accept RX medication returns. In LTC we have to count every controlled drug with the DON and send a copy to the feds telling them what and how we destroyed the pills. There are some test programs(eg the take-back programs) that allow prescription drugs to be returned to retail pharmacies but they are expensive and time consuming. The DEA doesn't want narcotics flowing back and forth. They like to know where they went and would hope that they were taken or destroyed appropriately. I wish that more could be returned. I would gladly take the extra time to destroy them if it came with the peace of mind that there were fewer meds out there to be abused or taken by children.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/painter/2007-04-22-old-medicine_N.htm