PDA

View Full Version : I was robbed last night

Pineconn
03-09-2008, 10:13 PM
...of an hour of sleep. Seriously, don't you hate that?

I forgot that it was an hour later when I went to bed (since my computer clock didn't change), so it was 3:30 when I thought it was 2:30. Major suckage right there.

I mean, I'm all for energy conservation, but changing the time is just weird...

Russ
03-09-2008, 10:18 PM
Don't make titles like that! I saw the title and though somebody had actually been robbed. But back on topic, I actually haven't been effected by the time change. I like it in fact. Now it stays light even later.

rock_nog
03-09-2008, 10:29 PM
Actually, I've heard that Daylight Saving Time leads to more energy consumption, not less. I'm not really sure what the point is, honestly - it seems that all the given reasons are flawed. *shrug*

Heh, but to save the thread title, I was robbed today, in a more monetary sense. I bought a thing of broccoli at the store, and was charged for ten. Unfortunately, I was too exhausted from carrying my groceries home to get the energy to march back there and get my $10 back (ah, what fun it is, not owning a car).

Beldaran
03-09-2008, 10:30 PM
I hate daylight savings time. Like Pineconn said, it robs me of sleep.

Russ
03-09-2008, 10:33 PM
I hate daylight savings time. Like Pineconn said, it robs me of sleep.
So you loose an hour of sleep, big deal. It makes it so it's light outside for more of my waking hours, so I'm happy.

erm2003
03-09-2008, 10:41 PM
Actually, I've heard that Daylight Saving Time leads to more energy consumption, not less. I'm not really sure what the point is, honestly - it seems that all the given reasons are flawed. *shrug*

According to this, you are right.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blog/null/83073

Gerudo
03-09-2008, 10:50 PM
misleading topic title ftw.

it was one less hour i had to wait for Brawl, but lets save that discussion for GGD.

i didnt go to bed till like 430 because of that daylight bullcrap.

Beldaran
03-09-2008, 11:54 PM
So you loose an hour of sleep, big deal. It makes it so it's light outside for more of my waking hours, so I'm happy.

First off, I cherish sleep as it enhances my performance, focus, and comfort level. Second, I never go outside so I don't care about the sunlight. Third, I most definitely do not give a crap about your outdoor activities so I don't see why the whole world should painfully interrupt our circadian rhythms so that you can prance around in the grass like a moron.

Russ
03-10-2008, 12:25 AM
First off, I cherish sleep as it enhances my performance, focus, and comfort level. Second, I never go outside so I don't care about the sunlight. Third, I most definitely do not give a crap about your outdoor activities so I don't see why the whole world should painfully interrupt our circadian rhythms so that you can prance around in the grass like a moron.
Anyone who does not care about sunlight should try to go out more often. :D

rock_nog
03-10-2008, 12:33 AM
Anyone who does not care about sunlight should try to go out more often. :D
Are you crazy - do you WANT to be bombarded by a bunch of subatomic wave/particle/thingies traveling at the speed of light? That's just suicidal!

Nah, I'm personally a big fan of the sun - I just never have anything to do once I get outside.

Russ
03-10-2008, 12:39 AM
Are you crazy - do you WANT to be bombarded by a bunch of subatomic wave/particle/thingies traveling at the speed of light? That's just suicidal!

Nah, I'm personally a big fan of the sun - I just never have anything to do once I get outside.
Just lie down and take a nap in the sun. It's so relaxing. If the sun was important enough for ancient people to worship, can't you at least go outside while the sun is out?

Beldaran
03-10-2008, 02:02 AM
You can't see computer screens in the sunlight... therefore sunlight is useless.

Actually, I really like the sun... but I don't like being in it, if that makes any sense.

Lilith
03-10-2008, 02:08 AM
---

Mitsukara
03-10-2008, 02:15 AM
It made me late to work for the first time at this job.

Screw daylight savings, it doesn't contribute usefully to modern civilization but rather sabotages it by causing errors and funky shifts in sleep schedules and other such fun.

And it doesn't do squat to help keep days long or whatever. It's dark crazy early all winter no matter what here, and besides, it leans in the wrong direction to try to compensate for the fall/winter darkening- in fact, it emphasizes it and tries to make spring and summer days seem longer. This is supposedly to help farmers, but I seriously doubt that it helps them so much as to be worth fucking up everyone else in the world... farmers can switch their sleep schedule their damn selves, legislating it is totally unnecessary.

At one point I didn't care, but it just pisses me off now. And will probably continue to do so.

Now, as for sunlight, it can be nice if it's not crazy humid or crazy hot or insanely bright. I really have started to appreciate it more since moving away from the maw of hell I consider Texas and to cold, dark, wet Washington (or so I've been experiencing thanks to every place in the world wanting to put me on closing shifts... I hate closing shifts). Being in the sun is nice. I really hope someday I'll be pretty and passable enough, and have the money to afford such a trip, to go to some kind of sunny beach and wear a bikini (and maybe some sort of sarong also, or short-shorts, haha). But I'll probably get sunburned as all hell.

But again, "Daylight Savings" has done jack shit, and in fact harmed any chance for me to even see the sun in my crappy (and unreliable, thanks part-time jobs!) routine for the past many months, so it can go stick something large and sharp up whatever it's most delicate part is.

Grumble, grumble...

Icey
03-10-2008, 05:02 AM
I remember reading that daylight savings time increased the number of traffic accidents because people weren't accustomed to the light changing an hour earlier/later. So not only does it not accomplish the goal of saving energy, it also possibly leads to a greater loss of life.

It also makes for a terrible day for me since it throws off my entire sleep cycle.

Yeah, I think this thing needs to die.

Nicholas Steel
03-10-2008, 06:26 AM
we have daylight savings here now, at home we don't use it tho >.> it's too annoying as people pointed out to change what you've been doing for 20 years.

of course we take note that we have to go to work a hour or halfhour early or whatever.

Aegix Drakan
03-10-2008, 08:54 AM
:mad: Don't scare us like that Pineconn!

...And I find DST annoying too. Messes up my whole sleep schedule, and makes everything annoying when trying re-synchronize with my sense of time.

...Screw that clue in National Treasure! :mad: DST has no real use!

Russ
03-10-2008, 11:22 AM
Dang, I forgot to change my alarm clock for DST. It woke me uo an hour late today. But I still say DST is a good thing.

Beldaran
03-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Strong sunlight is awful. Morning and twilight are lovely, but there's a reason I hate weekends. And Beldaran, if you don't go outside then why do you insist you moved south because of the weather? Your burning desire to troll Baptists is not very stealth.

I dislike raw sun, but love warmth. I just hate being cold.

Pineconn
03-10-2008, 04:04 PM
The entire reason of this thread was for the misinterpretation of the title. :D Sorry if I scared anyone.

And yeah, DST is more of a hassle for me. I rarely go outside, anyway, and I don't like it when it gets dark at 9:00 P.M. That's far too late.