PDA

View Full Version : Terrorist Alert!

Dark Nation
03-06-2008, 12:45 PM
If you see people acting strangely, report them to the police!
http://www.met.police.uk/campaigns/campaign_ct_2008.htm

(I thought some the wording on the posters was funny, anyway.)

And here is something I did in the same spirit.
http://i27.tinypic.com/zl5h5i.jpg

phattonez
03-06-2008, 01:17 PM
The UK is going to hell. Cameras all over London and now this? How much longer until they have secret police?

Now someone please tell me that all of this is a joke.

Aegix Drakan
03-06-2008, 02:09 PM
...lol...Whut?

This is taking it too far. I do agree that we need to be more observant of the world around us, but this is getting a bit too nuts...

Seriously, soon people will be afraid to do ANYTHING for fear of looking suspicious!

"ooh look! That guy is listening to Music on a DS...GRAB HIM!*
"look! That guy just ordered a 7-Up instead of a coke! GRAB HIM!"
"LOOK! That guy asked for a hamburger...WITH NO MAYONAISE! GRAB HIM!"
"THAT GUY POST ON A SITE CALLED "ARMAGEDDON GAMES!" THAT NAME MEANS DESTRUCTION! GRAB HIIIIIIIM!!!!!"

...>_> Seriously. Stuff like this would happen. And then we'd have the Spanish inquisition, modern style: "I don't like that guy...I KNOW! I'll report him for suspicious activity! Then he'll be out of my way!"

Honestly, this needs to stop now before it gets any worse.

Dark Nation
03-06-2008, 04:06 PM
Next in the series:

http://i26.tinypic.com/2re2mf9.jpg

Russ
03-06-2008, 04:10 PM
Wow, this is rediculous! It's like the French Reign of Terror all over again.

Dechipher
03-06-2008, 04:14 PM
Wow, this is rediculous! It's like the French Reign of Terror all over again.

Yeah. This is definitely a cover-up to explain all the executions via guillotine in the streets.

For sure.

Revfan9
03-06-2008, 04:19 PM
lol terrorism

phattonez
03-06-2008, 04:27 PM
Next in the series:

http://i26.tinypic.com/2re2mf9.jpg

Haha, well that has to be the best one of all.

See that guy over there, he has glasses. No one wears glasses anymore.

Aegix Drakan
03-06-2008, 04:46 PM
...LOL. That last one is hiarious...yet scary. If this campaign keeps going...that one might become real....

See that guy over there, he has glasses. No one wears glasses anymore.

:o *is tackled, tazered, and dragged away by the feet!*

Dark Nation
03-06-2008, 04:49 PM
Hmmm.. A contest might be fun...

Aegix Drakan
03-06-2008, 04:53 PM
:P I got a good idea, for one, then...

Rijuhn
03-06-2008, 07:13 PM
Dark Nation, you're a blast man, I laughed so hard at both of those. It's kinda sad though, because it reminds me of a witch-hunt. Anyway, as long as we can keep it lighthearted here I might make my own poster.

phattonez
03-06-2008, 07:32 PM
Why not a funny thread here with photoshops and a serious thread in TT to keep this from going sour.

Revfan9
03-06-2008, 09:41 PM
I seriously wanna call that number.

Aegix Drakan
03-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Why not a funny thread here with photoshops and a serious thread in TT to keep this from going sour.

Agreed. this is a serious issue, and need a serious topic...

:P But it's too funny to be serious. I vote we split the thread.

Lilith
03-06-2008, 11:51 PM
---

Dark Nation
03-11-2008, 08:43 AM
Next in the series:

http://i25.tinypic.com/1237ckx.jpg

Icey
03-11-2008, 04:24 PM
Haha, beautiful. "If you see someone who looks and acts normal, we need to know".

Very well done =p

Breaker
03-11-2008, 05:03 PM
The UK is going to hell. Cameras all over London and now this? How much longer until they have secret police?

You have nothing to hide if you're not doing anything illegal. I wish they would put cameras all over the major cities here in the US. Do you even realize how much that would deter crime? And if you're accused of doing something you didn't do, you'd have a surveillance monitor to prove it. It's not like they're putting cameras in your home.

MoonCheese
03-11-2008, 07:21 PM
"THAT GUY POST ON A SITE CALLED "ARMAGEDDON GAMES!" THAT NAME MEANS DESTRUCTION! GRAB HIIIIIIIM!!!!!"

Well, I avoided checking this site at the Philadelphia airport. Who knows what security would have thought of it. I was worried enough over the plans for a ZC quest I had in my bag, which included words like "bomb" in it.

Russ
03-11-2008, 07:48 PM
Well, I avoided checking this site at the Philadelphia airport. Who knows what security would have thought of it. I was worried enough over the plans for a ZC quest I had in my bag, which included words like "bomb" in it.
Wow, I never though about that. Just the fact that the ZC plans mention weapons would probably have them start asking questions. "I swear, it's just a video game that uses bombs and swords!"

phattonez
03-11-2008, 09:12 PM
You have nothing to hide if you're not doing anything illegal. I wish they would put cameras all over the major cities here in the US. Do you even realize how much that would deter crime? And if you're accused of doing something you didn't do, you'd have a surveillance monitor to prove it. It's not like they're putting cameras in your home.

There are people that can watch everything you do all over the city. Do you really trust the government with all of that power? You really don't think that anybody is going to abuse it?

Pineconn
03-11-2008, 10:14 PM
I've actually tricked some people in shouting the second syllable of a synonym of the Yeti (Abominable Snowman). No one really cared, though.

deathbyhokie
03-11-2008, 10:47 PM

10/10. Excellent form, provocative subject, folks already biting. A textbook troll.

For whatever reason these posters (and DN's spoofs) remind me of various Ikea advertisements.

Breaker
03-11-2008, 11:45 PM
10/10. Excellent form, provocative subject, folks already biting. A textbook troll.

For whatever reason these posters (and DN's spoofs) remind me of various Ikea advertisements.

You don't even know what trolling is, do you? Stay on topic or don't post at all, k?

Beldaran
03-12-2008, 12:03 AM
I don't have a problem with all those cameras. As Americans, we have a right to privacy, and logically we waive that right by going out in public and acting like a stupid ass.

As Breaker pointed out, thousands of criminals get off scott-free because of uncorroborated eye-witness testimony. Well, now the eye-witness is a digital machine and I don't have a problem with that.

As far as the government having all that power... what power exactly? They have the same power they already had. Policemen can walk around and watch you in public. This is just being more efficient with that power.

Blisspath
03-12-2008, 12:10 AM
Cameras do more good than harm IMO. We have had them at some of our busiest intersections and they have reduced accidents. What bothers me is GPS units and listening devices on phones.

Dark Nation
03-12-2008, 07:47 AM
The government loves recordings when they are the ones making them. But they get all antsy when the public starts recording them.

"People should not be afraid of their government. The government should be afraid of its people."

Mitsukara
03-12-2008, 07:53 AM
EYES OF GANNON ARE EVERYWHERE.

Also commie scum.

Also, I love that (http://i26.tinypic.com/2re2mf9.jpg) one, DN ^.^

Which brings me to a legitimate and serious point, since there seems to be a political debate here, of pointing out three issues that seem unpointed out regarding the camera issues:

Are people's homes and property in question of being photographed? I mean, I seriously doubt there's much of this actually being done, but is that being debated? It seems reasonable to expect to have privacy and not be seen in one's own home. Those posters indicate otherwise, with their "what if someone's house seems too suspicious? REPORT THEM" propaganda.

Many people fear, not unreasonably although likelyhood varies depending on what we're talking about, that government officials- be it via official policy or personal decision to abuse the information they obtain from their job- that, despite being innocent, having their activities watched may get them attacked due to "moral" or more minor legal concerns; the latter could be things like drug use/purchasing or state-law-questionable sexual materials (or, depending on the level and type of surveillance being referred to, illegal internet downloads, piracy, and so on).

The former, especially when it comes down to the potential for individuals to abuse information from their job (as in the people watching the cameras and making notes) could cause a certain amount of danger for people who are actually, legitimately completely innocent, via good ol' segregation and -isms and phobic behavior; people who practice foreign cultural customs being labeled as "terrorists" without doing anything, Joe Shmo camera watcher deciding that it's Not Right that he's discovered someone that obviously lives a double life (like cheating on a relationship, or a transsexual trying to pass, or what have you). Such concerns are usually paranoid to worry about in and of themselves, but it's the "usually" part that's the real trick there.

Also, didja ever have the feelin ya was bein' watched? What if you actually are, all the time? Even if you're 100% innocent and some "straight edge" kid who doesn't know how to download MP3s and does everything Right and Pure, isn't that kind of creepy? Do you really want someone watching you when you pick your nose, and scratch your butt, and pee, and don't wash your hands, and when you give someone the finger behind their back? If you're doing something sexuality-related and you'd rather everybody not know about it, does it really make you feel too good to know you're on camera all over the place, recorded and being watched by someone?

And doesn't it cost money to pay and train the people who go over all this crap? And it's coming out of tax money, right? Nobody likes that.

Just saying. :P

Aegix Drakan
03-12-2008, 09:21 AM
Dude, Cameras everywhere is not a good idea. I do think that at public intersections/malls/other major public places SHOULD have surveillance. But NOT in our own homes. What I do in private should not be anyone else's business, especially not if I'm not hurting anyone.

In public, fine, we could use more eyes. But keep those damn eyes out of my bathroom, basement, and enywhere else in my house!

Seriously, if they're going to go THAT far, why don't they just go look for a Death Note so they can "erase" the miscreants without delay?

Wow, I never though about that. Just the fact that the ZC plans mention weapons would probably have them start asking questions. "I swear, it's just a video game that uses bombs and swords!"

>_> Hence why when I was on a plane last summer, I didn't play Star fox assault )planes shooting each other?) nor that one operation in Trauma center DS -=SPOILER=-

Russ
03-12-2008, 10:39 AM
>_> Hence why when I was on a plane last summer, I didn't play Star fox assault )planes shooting each other?) nor that one operation in Trauma center DS -=SPOILER=-
I doubt that they are that picky. My brother and I were playing Mario Kart DS, and throwing BOMBS at each other, and the flight attendant didn't mind (although she did wonder how we were playing together with no cords, and starting wondering if it broke the no wireless device rule).

phattonez
03-12-2008, 11:55 AM
I have no problem with malls or other such privately owned companies recording in their buildings. After all, I can decide whether or not I want to go there. But when the government decides that public land has to have constant surveillance, then what can I do? I pay for that land and I can't walk out there privately? And then it's the actual government watching everything, not just some rent-a-cops.

Doesn't anyone see a problem with the government having that much power to see everything? I mean, if we accept this, then why not in the house so that we can stop domestic violence. Hell, might as well bring out those telescreens.

Aegix Drakan
03-12-2008, 03:23 PM
Telescreens, eh? :P Looks like 1984 is actually in the future, then.

As long as it's only in public, then fine, I think it's good for extra security. But if they even suggest bugging private property like that, I'm gonna put my foot down and say HELL NO.

I do NOT want creepy old fogies looking at me in the shower.

Sides...wouldn't that go against your (US) constitution?

(personally...I'm not too worried about us up here in Canada. We're much more lax. I don't think our government would even TRY to pull that crap on us)

Feasul
03-12-2008, 05:49 PM
Cameras in homes are a bad idea. There's inherent privacy in owning/renting your own house/apartment with opaque walls and that should be respected. Out on the street, though? I don't see where the privacy is. I mean, if it doesn't violate your privacy to have some police officer tail you out in public, how does it violate your privacy to have a camera do it? Unless, of course, we're talking about listening to private coversations, cause again, there's inherent privacy in huddling with your buddies to tell them and only them about that hot chick from the bar.