PDA

View Full Version : Test Help

Beldaran
03-04-2008, 12:13 AM
Every once and a while I spend some tinkering with my tetris program that I wrote. A few months ago I added some sound effects, but lost interest when it crashed my friend's (Riverman) computer.

It doesn't seem to crash my computer, so I don't know how to fix it. If anyone is willing to spend a few minutes downloading it and seeing if it works, I would really appreciate it.

Just download it, extract the archive, run the .exe file, play it for 5 minutes, exit using the menu, and let me know if it crashes and at what point it crashed.

Thank you!

Download Location (http://www.forrestkyle.com/projects/Squares_Lines_dev.rar)

Dark Nation
03-04-2008, 12:48 AM
Worked fine for me. Running XP.

Beldaran
03-04-2008, 01:04 AM
Thanks for your help DN. =)

Prrkitty
03-04-2008, 02:04 AM
Running Vista Ultimate... ran and exited ok. :)

Skulkraken
03-04-2008, 03:57 AM
Downloading...

Is there any info on what Riverman was playing the game on? Comparing what hardware and software we all have might help out with tracking down the bug.

Edit -- I just tried it out. Going straight into gameplay doesn't cause any noticeable problems. However, attempting to move the menu cursor at any time (before or after playing) causes it to crash to the desktop. Running XP Home SP2.

Rijuhn
03-04-2008, 02:29 PM
The game ran just fine on my computer Bel, even though my computer is very outdated. I'm using Windows XP, 1.4 GHz Pentium 4, 512 MB of SDRAM. The game took close to a minute to load up, but it ran fine.

Beldaran
03-04-2008, 06:27 PM
The game took close to a minute to load up, but it ran fine.

Wow! That's awful. It's just loading some bitmaps and small wav files into memory. I wonder why it takes that long.

Skulkraken: Thanks for the info. Looks like you and he have the same issue. I wish I knew how to fix it. :(

Pineconn
03-04-2008, 07:04 PM
1. Are the blocks supposed to be colored yet? They appear teal to me.

2. Does the program know what to do when no more blocks can fall ("you lose")? When I did the first time, I could bring up the menu and select a new game. I exited, rebooted the program, died another time (on purpose this time -- I just held in the down button), and it froze my computer. *shrugs*

3. I like the big golden block.

Anyway, the program is looking pretty good, at least up until you die (for me). It loaded in about three seconds and was fine.

Beldaran
03-04-2008, 07:52 PM
1. Are the blocks supposed to be colored yet? They appear teal to me.

Yeah they are set as teal for now.

2. Does the program know what to do when no more blocks can fall ("you lose")? When I did the first time, I could bring up the menu and select a new game. I exited, rebooted the program, died another time (on purpose this time -- I just held in the down button), and it froze my computer. *shrugs*

The behavior of "losing" is totally unprogrammed and therefore unpredictable. It is expected that it will just freak out if you lose. Sometimes it crashes, sometimes not. I can fix that in like 10 minutes but I just don't care a lot right now. :) I will do it at some point, when other more confusing issues are fixed.

Modus Ponens
03-04-2008, 08:53 PM
Just so it's clear, I'm running Windows XP Home with SP2 on a 1.84 GHz AMD Athlon™ 64 processor with 512 MB of RAM.

Beldaran
03-04-2008, 09:58 PM
I bet there's a memory leak in my graphics code, which translates into "shove project on shelf indefinately", since I don't want to track that down. ;)