PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into ZC...and I got some noobish Questions about the new features...

Aegix Drakan
03-03-2008, 12:15 PM
...>_> Please don't flame me

Ahem...

I've used ZC before, so I know more of less how to use it (Secrets, Layering, and I understand the concept of combo cycling.)

So, I looked through the latest Beta build (743, I think), And I'd like ot know what new features are in, and usable.

I've looked though most of the topics here, but I'm still uncertain about a lot of stuff...

- I noticed the ABCDE warp combo types, and I'd like to know if, in fact, multiwarping is possible (without making a screen to make a split warp thingy)

- Rocs feather: Functional yet?

- I heard some skuttlebut about actual NPCs...Are signs and NPCs possible (using A button to interact, instead of warps?). I'm pretty sure no, from what I saw from the first ever Neofirst demo (the forest temple thingy), But I'd like to know.

- Scripts. Any good tutorials on how to insert them into a quest?

- Any new tips I should know for working in the latest builds?

- and lastly: Have the betas become stable enough so that I can make a quest in them?

Thank you.

Russ
03-03-2008, 12:22 PM
Yes, we can know have up to four warps on the same screen, each going to a different place.

Yes, Roc's Feather is now fuctional.

NPCs and Sign Posts are now possible. There are scripts for them in the script showcase forum.

As for inserting scripts into quests, although I don't have time to explain it right now, somebody else might.

Tips for working with betas: Don't use Cane of Byrna. Report any bugs you find.

Yes, the beta builds are getting very stable. Stable enough to build quests with. In fact, at Pure ZC, almost every quest being built uses a beta build.

Aegix Drakan
03-03-2008, 01:03 PM
:D Thank you, thank you!

_L_
03-03-2008, 01:20 PM
- I heard some skuttlebut about actual NPCs...Are signs and NPCs possible (using A button to interact, instead of warps?). I'm pretty sure no, from what I saw from the first ever Neofirst demo (the forest temple thingy), But I'd like to know.
Might I recommend, as a brief course in a few of the new additions, the second NeoFirst demo (http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/showthread.php?t=100604)?

The_Amaster
03-03-2008, 06:18 PM
SinPost/NPC Script (http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/showthread.php?t=98097)
and be sure to check out the Script Showcase (http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1159)
Cane of Somaria, Oracle Style lava and bottomless pits, Epona, and more!

Do you know how to install scripts?

Aegix Drakan
03-03-2008, 11:37 PM
Install scripts? No clue.

>_> I'm a TOTAL noob at scripts. I know some super basic coding, but that's about it.

The_Amaster
03-04-2008, 12:32 AM
K, well, first you copy-paste all scripts into one Text file. Call it "Scripts" or somesuch, and go to save as, and save it as a .z file.

Then, under the middle menu (Can't open ZC now, sorry), go to Scripts-> Compile ZScript. Load your Scripts.z file, and hit "Compile". As soon as it finishes compiling, a window will pop up. It has three tabs, FFC, Global and Item. Inside these are the slots within the quest to which you assign scripts. Use the arrow button to copy over the ones you want.

Global scripts are always running. Don't mess with them too much, the defaults set some important stuff.

Item scripts activate when an item is used, and are set under the item properties.

FFC's either do one of two things. Either they effect the FFC itself, such as the Signpost, or else the effect the screen the FFC is on, such as the Pit Script. The Script descriptions make it fairly obvious which is which, and the only difference is that in the latter you'll want the FFC to be blank and hidden, so it's doing it's thing out of the way.

Do you know how to set up FFCs?
There's a tutorial stickied in the beta forums.

Finally, some scripts you see here will start with something like "import std.zh"
If it's the first script in your scripts.z file, keep it. Otherwise delete it.

Glad to help.