PDA

View Full Version : Study: Spanking May Lead to Sexual Problems Later in Life

Prrkitty
02-28-2008, 11:53 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,333551,00.html

Quote: Children who are spanked or given some form of physical punishment by their parents may be more likely to have sexual problems as adults, a new study finds.

An analysis of four studies by Murray Straus, co-director of the Family Research Laboratory at the University of New Hampshire-Durham, found that children who suffer physical punishment in the form of spanking, hitting or slapping are more likely to engage in risky sexual behavior as adults, it is reported by USA Today.
---------------

Honestly, I'm not sure if I believe the bottom line of this article. BUT! I do believe that corporal punishment is not the way to go to get a child/person's attention concerning their actions/beliefs/attitudes/etc.

Corporal punishment can be the lead in for more harsher aspects of life... on many levels.

Plus... my Domme side confuses me even more with all this. Eh...

Beldaran
02-28-2008, 11:58 PM
I was spanked as a child. I do have a kinked out sexual appetite with all kinds of sick issues with older, dominant women. Yay for me, I'm a bitch. ;)

I think kinky lust is healthy and normal, and I don't really think it was caused by being spanked when I acted like a little shit. I'd rather be a screwed up nympho case than be raised by parents who never taught me a little bit of discipline and focus. I think those lessons have helped me be productive and tough in bad situations.

Pineconn
02-29-2008, 12:15 AM
^^ That was a fun post.

Isn't it amazing how scientists can link the most abstract behaviors to cause something? They say drinking milk makes you more of a bully.

Beldaran
02-29-2008, 12:32 AM
Yeah, some of those studies piss me off. You know what makes you a bully? Being a dick.

Russ
02-29-2008, 01:10 AM
Wow, this sounds like another dumb report that turns out to be incorrect to me.

deathbyhokie
02-29-2008, 01:18 AM
I'd be more inclined to believe that a Puritanical upbringing leads to sexual problems moreso than spanking. Heck, it's even in the Bible. God says "Do anything you want but his", and what do we do? Exactly what we were told not to.

That said, I was frequently spanked as a kid, and turned out relatively normal. A bit of a pain fetish (and i can agree with Beld on the dominant women, although I don't know how much older he's talking), but nothing seriously screwed up.

phattonez
02-29-2008, 01:25 AM
They say drinking milk makes you more of a bully.

Seriously? I drink a ton of milk and I don't know of anyone that would consider me a bully.

Beldaran
02-29-2008, 01:54 AM
(and i can agree with Beld on the dominant women, although I don't know how much older he's talking), but nothing seriously screwed up.

I don't mean OLD old. Just older. For instance, I'm 26 and I think it would be massively hot to have a steamy, illicit affair with a 35-40 year old woman.

Daarkseid
02-29-2008, 02:26 AM
I don't mean OLD old. Just older. For instance, I'm 26 and I think it would be massively hot to have a steamy, illicit affair with a 35-40 year old woman.

This is a fantasy I've had a few times.

It might also be worth noting that nobody quite scared the shit out of me so much as when my mom was pissed at me or my siblings. Absolutely terrifying.

Rijuhn
02-29-2008, 07:03 PM
That's BS, my brother was never spanked because the doctors told my parents not to. The other 3 of us were spanked. My brother is a one of the most perverted people I know, and I'm not.

Feasul
02-29-2008, 07:42 PM
Seriously? I drink a ton of milk and I don't know of anyone that would consider me a bully.
They just won't tell you to your face cause they're so scared of you :tongue:
I dunno, my parents never spanked me because they just don't believe in corporal punishment. Lectures, though, they believe in lectures, and a Jewish lecture is far more effective than anything else, believe you me.
What was I talking about?
Oh, yeah, never spanked, still a perv. I don't consider kinkiness a sexual problem, though. Being "physcially or verbally coercive," however, is, but hey, as long as the chick/dude you're with is cool with it, then it's all good.
Edit: Another thought. I don't know if anyone's ever done a study, but there seems to be a link between geekiness and perviness. I mean, the nerds might seem all nice and innocent, but get one in bed and they'll go Vulcan Nerve Pinch on your ass. Just sayin'.

Pteryx
02-29-2008, 08:00 PM
Is it sad that I've seen better science in the context of a video game than I usually see in the real world?

http://kanican.livejournal.com/13235.html

On this specific topic, I think what problems I have that stem from a parent had less to do with his having spanked me a few times and much more to do with him generally creating an atmosphere of fear in the house. The denied unspoken threat that he might hit someone if provoked hard enough -- possibly even by punching -- did far more damage than the times he actually gave spankings, as far as I'm concerned. -- Pteryx

Aegix Drakan
02-29-2008, 11:20 PM
I mean, the nerds might seem all nice and innocent, but get one in bed and they'll go Vulcan Nerve Pinch on your ass. Just sayin'.

XD. Yeah, you better keep a close eye on we nerds...

And I was spanked twice (and deserved it too, I think), and I turned out...well...more or less normal. I'm certainly not into masochism (well...except for super hot showers.). Personally, I think that if the action is bad enough, it may require a bit of physical force to get the point across.