PDA

View Full Version : MMO decision-making

rock_nog
02-25-2008, 11:47 PM
Well, I've decided that since I have a bit of extra free time, I'd like to get back into an MMO. Here's the debate - do I go with City of Heroes, or World of Warcraft?

City of Heroes - I have a history with that game. Really enjoyed it when I played it. Love the whole superhero theme. The powers were a lot of fun. Designing costumes was a blast. However, there's really not much to do - you beat up bad guys, you beat up more bad guys, you beat up even more bad guys.

World of Warcraft - I've played the trial. The world was amazing - really felt like actual places. There were other things to do besides beating up bad guys - the skills like weapon-making and stuff. I really like collecting stuff and upgrading equipment - the whole "loot" business is fun. However... I'm just not such a fan of the whole fantasy theme (god that sounds ridiculous to say here what with Zelda Classic and all being the reason I'm here).

Any thoughts, insights, opinions, whatever? Oh, and it's been years since I played City of Heroes, so I don't know how much it's changed since I left.

Dechipher
02-26-2008, 12:33 AM
go with Shattered Earth.

once it's back up.

Gerudo
02-26-2008, 01:30 AM
warcraft is fun whether you play live(bliz) or a private server.

never played CoH/CoV.

Feasul
02-26-2008, 07:13 AM
Do what I do. Just keep getting the WoW free trials. There's no limit. The only catch is that since you have to make new screen names every time, you don't get to carry over your characters. So far I've played with a Troll Rogue, a Night Elf Hunter, and an Undead Warlock. *sigh* I do miss that Warlock.

Breaker
02-26-2008, 07:42 AM
Save your money and wait for Warhammer Online (www.warhammeronline.com).

Feasul
02-26-2008, 08:12 AM
Or Star Trek Online, cause that's gonna be sweet.
EDIT: Nevermind, just learned it got canceled. Sucks ass.
EDIT 2: According to Wikipedia, it actually just got transferred to another company and will probably be released a lot later than previously planned. *hopes*

bigjoe
02-26-2008, 10:38 AM
I play City of Heroes and find it to be decently fun. Haven't played very long though, so I dont know how the game pans out.

I tried World of Warcraft. It was okay, but something about it was a little off-putting.

Breaker
02-26-2008, 10:42 AM
The creators of City of Heroes are creating a new super hero MMO game called Champions Online. Read about it on IGN here http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/854/854285p1.html

rock_nog
02-26-2008, 11:07 AM
Oh wow, that sounds really awesome. Unfortunately, I perpetually have the problem of owning a computer that can only handle games from a couple of years ago. Right now I'm just happy to have a computer that can handle things like Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 (boggles my mind to see Doom 3 as being outdated). I like the idea of a hero's powers being unique and customizable - one thing I always wished you could do in City of Heroes... nothing worse than creating a really cool character and then having to face the fact that he's got the same "energy beam from your hand" attack that everyone else does.

Oh, and I've officially decided to go with City of Heroes - I just really like the setting, and I hear they've made some cool/interesting new changes.

AlexMax
02-27-2008, 11:41 AM
You've already mentioned that you have 'decided' on a game, but one game that doesn't get brought up enough imho is a game called EVE Online. It's coming to Steam in a little bit, with a free 14 day free trial extended to 21 days for all Steam members.

Here's a very interesting article on it on "Why we play".

Clicky (http://wiki.goonfleet.com/index.php?title=About_EVE).

I don't play anymore myself, but it's quite different from every other MMO out there.

Also, quick warning about City of Heroes, the most fun part of the game is creating your hero. After that, the grind sets in and the instance locations don't change at all, visually, they just become longer.