PDA

View Full Version : "Stuff White People Like" Blog

Icey
02-25-2008, 05:41 AM
http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpress.com/

Basically it's just some ranting about the more ridiculous trends in "white" culture. Don't take it too seriously or get offended - I am also "white" (if that even means anything). However, I definitely see a lot of these things happening and much in the same way the author describes. I think I know someone who fits into most of these stereotypes... pretty fun read if you don't get carried away with it :)

Beldaran may like this one:
http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpress.com/2008/01/18/2-religions-that-their-parents-dont-belong-to/

Edit: I suppose I should point out that it's a good idea to avoid reading the comments section. You see a lot of people getting offended for no reason, others promoting their various racist views, etc. It's meant to be intelligent, light satire - written by a white guy, actually - but apparently some people get really irked for some reason.

Aegix Drakan
02-25-2008, 11:17 AM
...XD

I chuckled a few times. I actually fit a few of these.

But I feel I must object to one statment:

Note: Canadian white people threaten to move to Europe

:P I never threaten to move anywhere. I like Canada. but If I had to move, I'd go to japan, provided I can learn Japanese.

...oh crap, I just fit another one... :o

[EDIT]I'm still reading it, BTW

[EDIT 2] ok, after finishing all of them, I guess I fit less than I thought. But still, great read there Icey! :P

rock_nog
02-25-2008, 11:43 AM
LMAO oh it's brilliant! And it's about time we got an update on white culture since Martin Mull's classic "A history of white people in America."

Beldaran
02-25-2008, 01:05 PM
I'm white, and I think it's funny. :)

Although legally I'm hispanic, since my grandparents immigrated to the US from Puerto Rico.

Shyvus
02-26-2008, 02:02 AM
"But what about the white people who study Science, Engineering or Business? Unless they become doctors, they essentially lose white person status (and can only be regained by working at a non-profit)."

Aww, I'm not white anymore.

I never understood arts degrees, really. I don't need to pay 40k/year to do something I have the resources to do anyway. I'm spending that 40k to get access to explosive things! :tongue:

Lilith
02-26-2008, 02:06 AM
---

Daarkseid
02-26-2008, 02:25 AM
#63 Expensive sandwiches, hah hah.

The sandwich pictured looks like a Reuben, or at least its got pastrami on it. Looks delicious.

Reading through alot of those, I can come to the conclusion that at least my immediate family is very very white.

rock_nog
02-26-2008, 02:35 AM
By the way... I really wish I'd had access to this handy guide when I went away to college. Moving up to Minnesota was my first real experience with white people. Growing up in small-town Oklahoma and moving to deep South Texas, my experiences had mainly been with hicks and Mexicans. Boy, sure has hell was some culture shock when I got here. So many completely foreign experiences...

I still remember the first time someone threatened to move to Canada, and even being the peace-loving gun-hating liberal that I am, I was still like "What? Hell no - if the government starts trampling on your civil liberties, you grab a gun and you fight to the death to win them back." Yeah, didn't go over too well, bunch of sissies. It seems that fighting for what you believe in isn't cool if the odds aren't in your favor.

Then there was the tea thing - never seen so many goddamn tea drinkers in my entire life. I spent most of my college career convinced that people were putting opium in their tea or something, because I just couldn't understand why they drank so much of it. I wasn't even aware that tea-drinking was an activity, outside of the occasional glass of ice tea in the summer.

And study abroad... Dear God, people were obsessed with it. Never got it, either - I mean, firstly, no matter where they went, it always seemed their experiences were exactly the same - Britain or Chile or god-knows-where and they all have exactly the same stories. And whenever anyone asked me, I'd be like "Why the hell would I do that? I already came here, you people are weird and foreign enough as it is."

Daarkseid
02-26-2008, 02:43 AM
Then there was the tea thing - never seen so many goddamn tea drinkers in my entire life. I spent most of my college career convinced that people were putting opium in their tea or something, because I just couldn't understand why they drank so much of it. I wasn't even aware that tea-drinking was an activity, outside of the occasional glass of ice tea in the summer.

Sounds like a bunch of posers, like so much that happens in college. But otherwise, tea is pretty good. As long as its not sweetened or overly sweetened. That southern iced tea shit is pretty gross.

EDIT: Okay, I read the section on tea on the blog. LOL, we took a trip to some ski resort a week ago for a wedding and one of the things we brought back was some Green Tea sampler pack, made up of several kinds of Green Tea. Including "Sushi House Tea".

Lilith
02-26-2008, 10:44 PM
---

Shyvus
02-28-2008, 10:29 PM
I drink tea because tap water is gross and it's better if you flavor it. Also, winter is cold and coffee is gross.

I don't understand tea culture at all though...