PDA

View Full Version : WARNING TO ALL THOSE WITH DS LITES! (and a question)

Aegix Drakan
02-24-2008, 01:15 PM
THIS IS A WARNING TO ALL THOSE WITH DS LITES!

DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT SNAP IT SHUT ON A REUGLAR BASIS!
YOU WILL CAUSE A SMALL CRACK ON THE HINGE WHICH WILL EVENTUALLY GROW AND F UP YOUR HINGE RELALY BADLY!!!!

I know from personal experience. My DS lite hinge just busted friday night. the aformentioned crack, (to which I payed no attention to, since it seemed harmless) finally cracked all the way, and now opening my DS causes the crack to go super wide, and makes it a little tricky to open without totally wrecking the DS.

I've asked the frieds that were with me at the time, and so far, I've noted that those who don't snap their DS's shut have no crack at all, and it's been a year, VS the people who often snap it shut, who have a crack (and I've only had mine 2 months).

so. DON'T SNAP YOU DS's SHUT IF YOU WANT TO KEEP EM!

Now, the question. Has anyone ever sent a DS to nintendo for a repair/replacement? How do you do it, and do you think they'd replace mine, seeing as how it's only been 2 months and it's in perfect condition, other than the crack?

beefster09
02-24-2008, 01:25 PM
It should still be under warranty. It's probably just a manufacturing problem because mine is fine and I've had it for over a year. They'll repair it for free with free shipping and everything. If it's not a manufacture defect, they'll ask for $7.50. My Wii has a problem which is probably some firmware issue, so I may have to send it in for repairs.

erm2003
02-24-2008, 02:26 PM
Yeah, their products have a 1 year warranty, sometimes longer if you register it online. Go to www.nintendo.com and under the support options you should find links and directions for sending out your DS for repairs.

A few years ago I had to get my GC fixed because the fan stopped working and it would overheat. They sent me the box to ship it out in and I dropped it off at the location they gave me. It was easy. Just make sure you don't leave any games in the system by accident. More than likely they will just replace the DS for you.

The_Amaster
02-24-2008, 02:33 PM
Yeah, if you send it to them, they fix it no problem. My brother stepped on his and cracked the screen, and they had it back in a few weeks. It cost like, 30 bucks or so because it wasn't covered by the warranty though.

erm2003
02-24-2008, 02:35 PM
Stepping on it is a little different than snapping it shut. It shouldn't be breaking that easy. I will be more careful with my own though.

cbailey78
02-24-2008, 03:36 PM
http://kotaku.com/gaming/top/nintendo-capitulates-offers-free-repairs-for-cracked-ds-lites-188778.php

MasterSwordUltima
02-24-2008, 04:15 PM
Good to know my DS original of a few years has little wear.

Aegix Drakan
02-24-2008, 04:34 PM
Thanks a lot guys!

:P *goes to look into it as fast as his 46.6 K dial up can go*

Good to know my DS original of a few years has little wear.

:P Same here. If my stylus hadn't been rolling around in my school bag and gotten between the two screens, and then banged (denting the LCD screen) My DS phat would still be in awesome condition (only touch screen scratches. Curse you Elite beat agents and Trauma center!)

MottZilla
02-24-2008, 05:06 PM
That's why you should have bought the Phat DS. It owns and is built like a rock.

Linkus
02-24-2008, 06:50 PM
Same here with my original DS. The edges are a worn and the information label on the back is nothing but a white rectangle, but it still works fine. You could throw it off the balcony and hit the ground and it would still work.

Speaking of those labels, what happened to the black background and silver text style that were on the GBCs? Those seem to last eons...

Masamune
02-24-2008, 07:06 PM
I don't abuse my hardware.

vegeta1215
02-24-2008, 07:20 PM
That's why you should have bought the Phat DS. It owns and is built like a rock.

Yeah, that's why I prefer my original DS. The DS Lite feels too fragile, plus I don't like it's d-pad.

Aegix Drakan
02-24-2008, 07:53 PM

>_> I have a DS Phat. It's kinda broken.

...You can pick up you jaws now.

>_> I just posted about it right after I said thanks: My stylus got wedged between both screens (I had to toss it into my bag really quick, so my DS and stylus were both loose.), and then I tripped, and my bag bumped my locker. Result: the stylus got pressed hard and quick into the top screen, and made a dent in the LCD. Now, I got his HUGE grey-green stain that covers most of the top screen.

I can still play on it, but... >_> in order to see ANYTHING on the screen right, I need to shine a bright light on the screen.

So, the inside is vulnerable. The outside IS built like a rock. Aside from the screen dent, and a few touch screen scratches, it's still in really good condition of ra game system that was bough second hand from a friend who go tit when the DS was brand new.

Russ
02-25-2008, 12:23 PM
Same here with my original DS. The edges are a worn and the information label on the back is nothing but a white rectangle, but it still works fine. You could throw it off the balcony and hit the ground and it would still work.

Same for me. My friend dropped his DS off of the top of a baseball stadium, and it hit the lower deck about 50 feet below. It took no damage at all. DS systems are solid as a rock. DS Lites, not so much.

DarkDragoonX
02-25-2008, 03:46 PM
Fortunately, my "fat" DS hasn't been in any situations to take any serious damage yet. Although when I was younger, my original Gameboy (the big, clunky gray brick, remember?) once survived a twelve-hour stay under the snow when I dropped it going inside one night, followed by a trip through a snowblower in the morning. It survived with only minor scuffs on one corner, still in perfect working condition.

Aegix Drakan
02-25-2008, 03:50 PM
wow...that's awesome...that beats out MY old gameboy story

My Grey brick tumbled down 2 flights of stairs, and only lost the batteries.

:P I wish EVERYTHING was that durable.

Russ
02-25-2008, 04:53 PM
:P I wish EVERYTHING was that durable.
So do I. That's why I did not buy a DS Lite. They break too easily.

Flash Man
02-26-2008, 04:44 PM
My fiancee has a DS Lite, and she clicks it open and shut more often than it should be. I got it for her about a year ago. Have not had any issues with it yet.

Mitsukara
02-27-2008, 07:25 AM
Wasn't this whole cracked-edge thing brought up a year and a half or so ago when they were new?

Brasel
02-27-2008, 07:28 AM
I broke my DS Phat when I was on my last deployment. It fell about 3 feet from a shelf and the top screen cracked, making it completely unusable for anything but GB Advance games. I wouldn't say that the DS Phat isn't durable by any means, but it'll still break if handled improperly.