PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting for dungeon-making

bobrocks95
02-21-2008, 05:58 PM
I'm recruiting for help in making dungeons for my upcoming quest, Death Mountain Trail. If you decide to help me out and make a dungeon or two, you would have nearly full creative freedom, as long as you go by a few requests(such as easy at first, harder in later dungeons, brain over brawn, theme of dungeon, what items you get, etc.).
You can find more info on the quest here (http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/showthread.php?t=101290)
Ask here for more information or if you are willing to help. You would of course get 100% Full credit for the dungeons you make, and you will be considered one of the 'official authors', depending on how many dungeons you decide to make.

Development of the quest is currently in 2.5 beta build 737. The quest uses the BS tileset(New BS V3.1), so those ZC 'veterans' out there with your DoR and PTUX would have an easy and relatively quick time making these, should you decide to help:tongue:.

On a side note, I'm also looking for help in making a title screen. I was thinking something like these (http://www.purezc.com/index.php?page=tiles&id=830) mountains over some other kind of overlay. Again, ask here for more more information/if you're interested in helping.

The_Amaster
02-21-2008, 06:37 PM
I'm a pretty good dungeoneer. If you give me some basics, like Item, Theme, Difficult,y I'll see what I can whip up.

bobrocks95
02-23-2008, 01:57 PM
I'm still open for volunteers, as I'm not entirely sure at the moment how many dungeons Amaster42 is going to make.

Master Maniac
02-24-2008, 12:42 PM
ill help you. ive got a few ideas i wanted to try for overworld puzzles anyway. is there going to be lava at some point on the mountain? i could make a really good puzzle using that... well not really a puzzle, more like a "need this item or you cant move on"type thing. heh a progress check basically.

so yeah PM me if your interested.

bobrocks95
02-24-2008, 01:04 PM
I'll have to check with Amaster first.
I was planning on having a sort of 'poison water' area as the current CSets don't have an acceptable 'lava' colored water, though there is a sort of sickly green.

Master Maniac
02-24-2008, 02:35 PM
ah... well this could work too, i guess. or, if its alright with you, i could set up a pallette for the lava, and just use the particular spot as a Dmap all in its own so as to be able to use the colors, but if that seems like too much trouble, it'll work with the dirty green pond water lol. is it basically just the water in a different cset?

bobrocks95
02-24-2008, 02:39 PM
Ya, just another CSet. I'm still waiting for Amaster though.

The_Amaster
02-24-2008, 05:28 PM
Sorry, I had some stuff this weekend that took up more time than I thought. But I have a hard copy of my map, so I'm going to start building, and Tuesday or so I should have something to show you.

Master Maniac
02-24-2008, 08:39 PM
does this mean im in?

bobrocks95
02-24-2008, 09:56 PM
Most likely. I'd like to see what Amaster does with the first dungeon before I 'officially' set you to start on a dungeon (mainly to see what items are there), though I can definitely say that if Amaster doesn't make all the dungeons you're on the team.

Master Maniac
02-24-2008, 10:14 PM
WOO! i finally have something to do!!!

but like i said, i have a few overworld puzzles up my sleeve too. and i think it would fit best at death mountain or even a swamp for that matter.

thanks XD

bobrocks95
02-26-2008, 10:32 PM
Any word Amaster? I'm eager to see what you have done, as I haven't really seen any of your other work.
*Goes and sees if Amaster's made a quest*

The_Amaster
02-26-2008, 11:05 PM
I have a few screens to show you but lucky me, I got grounded from computer for a week. I can look at the forums and stuff, but can't spend any real time on projects. Sorry. *sheepish*

bobrocks95
02-27-2008, 11:35 AM
Well, that... Sucks

Russ
02-27-2008, 11:52 AM
I have a few screens to show you but lucky me, I got grounded from computer for a week. I can look at the forums and stuff, but can't spend any real time on projects. Sorry. *sheepish*
Be thankful you can at least check the forums when you're grounded. Here is my advice: Download Alphadawg's dungeon grid, and print out a few copies. It allows you to plan out the game without actually being on a computer.

The_Amaster
02-27-2008, 05:42 PM
Yeah, I do. I have the map for the dungeon made, I just haven't built it beyond 5 screens or so.

bobrocks95
03-05-2008, 06:26 PM
Hopefully at this time Amaster has been able to do some more work. I've been fiddling around a lot (since any true work I do would be pointless, as Amaster wouldn't have those changes and I'd use the version he's been working on with the dungeons), and I've found some more things that I want to add in, notably a couple scripts as well as multiple-room houses(originally used screen 80 as a universal house), which in turn eliminates a bug with Link appearing inside the wall when entering a house. I'm eagerly awaiting what you have done Amaster.

The_Amaster
03-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Yup, I've got a fair amount done, although level one is quite large. I'll upload it later.

bobrocks95
03-05-2008, 08:57 PM
As long as it's not insanely hard, it's fine. Combine hard, long, and level 1, and you get a bad mix.

bobrocks95
03-13-2008, 07:11 PM
Any word on the dungeon yet, Amaster?

The_Amaster
03-13-2008, 09:26 PM
...*cough* yeah, about that.
I just got saddled with a huge workload. An essay for English, a project for chemistry, a paper for Government. And next week is finals, so it will be study-crazy time.

I'm really sorry about this.

EDIT: You know, the major time consumer is actually decoration. But each room is pretty much decorated the same. If I just shell out the framework and interactive elements, I could have it to you this weekend.

bobrocks95
03-14-2008, 06:06 PM
If you just lay down a basic groundwork, puzzles, items, etc., I can make rooms "fancy", like touch them up a little, decorate the walls, stuff like that.

The_Amaster
03-14-2008, 09:36 PM
Man, thank you for understanding. I'll probably have it for you tomorrow afternoon-evening.

Purplemandown
05-25-2008, 11:52 PM
Any way I could help? I will admit that I am WAAAAAAA... (6.45 years later) ...AAAAAAAAY batter at making dungeons that anything else, so I... Well... You know... Sorta...:uhoh:

EDIT: Ohhh... it in 737, 40 BEFORE what I've got. Oh well. If I'm in, it's another trip to shardstorm...

bobrocks95
05-26-2008, 11:16 AM
After a month and 13 days, I both have people recruited for the dungeons, have made my title screen, have the first dungeon made and the second in-progress, and have bumped all the way up to Beta version 798. We are constantly up to the latest version(or at least I am- I check shardstorm every day), and have enough people. If you can send a test quest to me of your best work, then, depending on how much I like the dungeon, you will or will not get a spot for maybe 1 ~ 2 dungeons, it depends. Amaster is doing around 3 dungeons, then Master Maniac has second dibs and is a much more seasoned ZC user, which basically may leave you with the rest. Depends on how this plays out.

Oh, and Master Maniac, I would also like it if you sent me a demo of your best work. I would like to see if your designing fits in with Amaster's.

The_Amaster
05-26-2008, 07:13 PM
Oh, right, second dungeon. Sorry, my life has been impossible lately. ACT, SAT, AP Tests, etc. I'll get a plannin'

Although I'm worried. I think I'm going through Dungeon-slump, none of my designs seem good enough for me.

bobrocks95
05-26-2008, 07:29 PM
Well, I know how long a process it can be and how great the outcome is now for your dungeons. You can be in a slump for a month, I don't care. Not sure if you remember or not, but you mentioned journeying to the corners of the dungeon for quiver, bow, and arrow. Of course, we also discussed boomerang coming first...

Finals have already hit me like a brick(3 times) and left. Actually, a project that's due tomorrow I just did most of today.
Oh, and let me know what you get on your ACT specifically. I took it as part of a program in 7th grade(this year) and scored a 25 out of 36. A 26 gets you in the honor program, or at least that's what my mom says.

The_Amaster
05-26-2008, 08:27 PM
I'm thinking the boomerang here, and using the bow, arrow, and quiver in the third? That sound good?

EDIT: Ooh, ooh, Idea! Okay, this might be enough to carry it!

bobrocks95
05-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Sounds good, especially the edit. Breakthrough!
Just need to tell you: I currently have the dungeon set up as a have-to dungeon- it's a cave at the end of a linear path that you have to travel through with another exit higher atop the mountain. If you've ever played SwanSong, it's like the first level. Or it's like the desert palace in aLttP.

The_Amaster
05-26-2008, 09:41 PM
Do you mean that you exit and re-enter the dungeon at one point. Okay, I can work that in.

Although just so you know, I had planned it as a descending cave, so the amount of lava increases the further down you go. I can just switch the stairs, if your all right with there being a lot of lava near the top. Only it's rather integral to some of the design.

Purplemandown
05-26-2008, 09:57 PM
Never mind. I so happens that my best work was on my OLD computer BEFORE it crashed. And I don't exactly have the time to redo it...

bobrocks95
05-27-2008, 04:43 PM
Do you mean that you exit and re-enter the dungeon at one point. Okay, I can work that in.

Although just so you know, I had planned it as a descending cave, so the amount of lava increases the further down you go. I can just switch the stairs, if your all right with there being a lot of lava near the top. Only it's rather integral to some of the design.

Well, I can always modify the overworld to fit your design. Doesn't matter.