PDA

View Full Version : Castro resigns as president, state-run paper reports

Prrkitty
02-19-2008, 01:10 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/americas/02/19/castro/index.html

Well well. Castro has resigned. Will democracy now slip thru the back door of Cuba and help the new government and it's people? Or will Russia or China or some other country try to come in and take control (besides the US - I mean)?

And on top of that... do we have any diplomats in Cuba?

rock_nog
02-19-2008, 01:51 PM
Well, last time around, we got the government we paid for (in other words, we were unwilling to fund them at all, and so the Soviets were more than happy to oblige - and look what that got us). I don't think much has changed since then.

I must say I'm a little disheartened by the news - I shall sorely miss Castro's pontification about Dubbya's possible dyslexia (most entertaining thing I had ever seen on C-SPAN).

phattonez
02-19-2008, 02:07 PM
Castro is dead.

Archibaldo
02-19-2008, 02:26 PM
Hmm. For the longest time I though Castro was dead.

phattonez
02-19-2008, 02:34 PM
With the way that everything is run over there, I wouldn't be surprised if they said that he never died.

There was recently some student that was asking question to a guy named Alacron, a really powerful guy in the government, and he was questioning the way they are stuck in the country and the terrible state of the economy and how they aren't allowed to go to the nice hotels. This was on TV, and now no one knows where that kid is.

erm2003
02-19-2008, 03:25 PM
I don't think much is going to change until the power shifts out of the family. Even with Raul in power, I think Fidel will still have a big hand in what is going on even if he isn't the central figurehead. The major changes won't happen until Fidel dies.

Pineconn
02-19-2008, 06:18 PM
Wait, since when was Fidel Castro a "president"? :eyebrow:

Dechipher
02-19-2008, 08:05 PM
You mean we didn't even have to invade their country and publicly execute him?

Crazy.

Russ
02-19-2008, 08:33 PM
Somehow I have a feeling that this isn't as good as it appears. He's got to be planning something.

MasterSwordUltima
02-20-2008, 12:24 AM
With the way that everything is run over there, I wouldn't be surprised if they said that he never died.

There was recently some student that was asking question to a guy named Alacron, a really powerful guy in the government, and he was questioning the way they are stuck in the country and the terrible state of the economy and how they aren't allowed to go to the nice hotels. This was on TV, and now no one knows where that kid is.

Cuba? [Damnit I'm clever.]

Yoshiman
02-20-2008, 12:35 AM
Saw this on a local news channel today. I was kinda surprised that he's still alive.

So apparently, he's turning over power to his brother, Raúl, because of his old age and illness. Raúl is 76. What happens when he dies/resigns? I don't recall any talk about either of them having sons, but I wouldn't rule it out.

I really don't see any major changes happening with Cuba anytime soon. Not without a revolution/war breaking out, anyways.

Breaker
02-21-2008, 01:03 PM
So apparently, he's turning over power to his brother, Raúl, because of his old age and illness. Raúl is 76. What happens when he dies/resigns? I don't recall any talk about either of them having sons, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Fideo Castro has a son who used to run Cuba's Atomic-Energy Commission before being removed from that position by his father. He also has two nephews, Lincoln Diaz-Balart and Mario Diaz-Balart, who are interestingly both United States Republican Congressmen, and are very outspoken critics of Castro's government.. Castro has five other sons by another wife.