PDA

View Full Version : DMaps and palettes

MoonCheese
02-19-2008, 09:54 AM
I am using ZC 2.10.2.

I'm confused about some aspects of the DMap-palette relationship. I never had to do this before, as this is the first time I attempted to do significant work with non-classic tiles.

First, I want to make sure my assumption is correct. I read this in a post here, I believe. If I want to use multiple palettes (not CSets...I just recently learned the CSet/palette distinction, too) on one map (an overworld in this case), I have to carve the map up into multiple DMaps, each with its own palette? And this is also the way to vary the title for the map thingy in the upper-left corner of the screen, right? Like if I want some areas to say "Town" and others to say "Forest" or "Mountains" etc. And if my assumption is wrong, how do I do each of those things? Edit: Also, if this is true, what's the point of pushing the number keys 0-9 to change palettes in ZQuest?

The other thing is, how do I make the DMap change when Link walks around the overworld? I know that for dungeon DMaps, I can go to the DMap editing screen and click on which screens on the map are to be part of that particular DMap, but I don't seem to be able to do that with overworlds, the squares don't turn black when I click them like with dungeons. And when I play the quest in ZC, it seems to act as if the entire 8*16 overworld map is part of DMap 5 (which includes the place Link starts) when really it should be divided among 0 through 7. Do I need side warps or something on each screen boundary at which I want the DMap to change?

Gleeok
02-19-2008, 10:22 AM
I am using ZC 2.10.2.

The other thing is, how do I make the DMap change when Link walks around the overworld? I know that for dungeon DMaps, I can go to the DMap editing screen and click on which screens on the map are to be part of that particular DMap, but I don't seem to be able to do that with overworlds, the squares don't turn black when I click them like with dungeons. And when I play the quest in ZC, it seems to act as if the entire 8*16 overworld map is part of DMap 5 (which includes the place Link starts) when really it should be divided among 0 through 7. Do I need side warps or something on each screen boundary at which I want the DMap to change?

One map can be broken up into 10,000,000,000 Dmaps..or 256 or whatever. It's easy. Think of it like this:

ZQ is like your butler, you just need to order it to do stuff. Lets say Map1 is Overworld. Now you want 15 different areas, so make 15 Dmaps all using map1. If you set each Dmap to use a different pallete, Map1 will be exactly the same on all of them but use different colors. Usefull for stuff like day/night with export/import map etc... So you just need warps to tell ZC when to switch Dmaps while playing.

Also, if this is true, what's the point of pushing the number keys 0-9 to change palettes in ZQuest?

So you know what to set your Dmap to! haha

MoonCheese
02-19-2008, 11:00 AM
OK, I get it now. Thanks.

erm2003
02-19-2008, 11:24 AM
Just to add in: This is also what you can do to change music from one area to the next.

MoonCheese
02-19-2008, 01:18 PM
Good, because that's exactly what I had in mind with the music.

I now have questions about continuing. If you die on a DMap that doesn't have "Continue here" set, what happens? Are you just taken back to the starting point? Is there a way to choose which DMap to continue at other than the current one or the starting point? (This is 2.10, keep in mind. I may move the quest over to 2.50 when it gets done if I haven't finished my quest by then.)

erm2003
02-19-2008, 03:38 PM
I think it will continue you from the last dmap you were on that has the continue box checked.

MoonCheese
02-20-2008, 11:52 PM
How do I handle screens where there is more than one exit to another DMap? As an example (and this is exactly the problem I faced today), let's say screen 46 is supposed to be in DMap 5, and both 36 and 47 should be in DMap 4. It seems as if it's impossible to allow 46 to exit to both 36 and 47 because there can be only one side warp per screen. I can set the side warp to both the north and east edges of the screen, but I don't think I can make the east side go to 47 but the north side go to 36, because there's only one place to enter a screen number. Is there a way around this, or should I just block off one of the edges with trees or something? (which I did for now)

Pineconn
02-21-2008, 12:20 AM
Yeah... you aren't able to have more than one side warp in 2.10. However, if you use 2.5, you'll have 4 tile warps and 4 side warps per screen, which would fix this dilemma indeed.