PDA

View Full Version : 8 Bit Mode

Russ
02-19-2008, 02:05 AM
I am not really sure if this is a bug or not, so I'll just post it here. I was making a minimap for the overworld of my quest, and I decided to use 8 bit mode so I could use a variety of colors. I used greens from cset 6 to represent the field area. All seemed fine, untill I got the red ring. Even though I was using 8 bit mode, it still turned everything in cset 6 to cset 8, making the greens in my map red. Is this supposed to happen? It doesn't seem like it should, since the point of 8 bit mode is to have acess to all csets at once.

Gleeok
02-19-2008, 10:45 AM
I'm not sure but it sounds reasonable to me. Cset 6 has always been variable.

Russ
02-19-2008, 11:54 AM
I'm not sure but it sounds reasonable to me. Cset 6 has always been variable.
But the whole point of 8 bit mode is to have acess to all csets at once. Cset 6 shouldn't just change like that if it's in 8 bit mode.

Nimono
02-19-2008, 12:14 PM
But the whole point of 8 bit mode is to have acess to all csets at once. Cset 6 shouldn't just change like that if it's in 8 bit mode.

Then neither should Level-specific palettes. 8-Bit mode merely reads all Csets at once, I guess. When Link picks up the Blue/Red Rings, CSet 6 is replaced with one of the CSets in Extra Sprite Palette 1, I forget which. There's nothing you can do to stop this except either:

A) Don't give the Rings.
B) Don't make the Rings change your color by making the ESP1 Csets they use the exact same as CSet 6 normally.

8-Bit Mode doesn't let you get around changing palettes. Period. And I highly doubt it would be changed to where it can. I mean, some people use 8-Bit mode for their Link sprites... How would they feel if Rings suddenly refused to change their sprites' colors just 'cause you want 8-bit mode to stop doing so? :(

Russ
02-19-2008, 12:18 PM
True. I gues your right. Now I'll just have to redo my entire mini map.

DarkDragon
02-19-2008, 09:23 PM
ZC runs in true 8-bit mode, so there simply aren't any colors available besides those in the CSets. This means if a cset changes, so will your 8-bit tile palette.