PDA

View Full Version : Video capturing

bluedeath
02-15-2008, 09:44 PM
How can I record my games from my TV and into my computer without using a webcam. My friend tells me I need a capture card, can someone help?

Mak-X
02-16-2008, 01:13 AM
This old guide I wrote might get you started

http://www.adventureofhyrule.com/game/vidcapguide.html

I don't have a solution for capturing via component and in HD resoultions though.

bluedeath
02-16-2008, 09:02 AM
Shit... I dont have the $ for that crap.

MottZilla
02-16-2008, 05:41 PM
I used to do it with a Radeon 7200 VIVO Video Card. But these days it's more common to buy a USB 2.0 device that does video capture. And yes, it'll cost you some money to do it. If the game you want to record can be emulated, some emulators let you record videos. Nintendulator seems to have an AVI recording option.

MasterSwordUltima
02-17-2008, 05:27 AM
I saw on eBay a week or two ago, a nice USB 2.0 video capture whatever. Its basically a small box, the size of an old gameboy, with a couple slots for cords for A/V Cables and what-not. $30 for a buy-it-now. [shrug] Doesn't seem expensive to me.

Nicholas Steel
02-17-2008, 05:39 AM
yea we got something like this for our vcr, it is cheap but isn't exactly the "best" quality rip. generally the audio peaks and the video quality is average.

AtmaWeapon
02-17-2008, 05:47 PM
I've got one of these things (http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/support/Video/prod/AVC-1410/) and it's good enough for SNES stuff; I've never gotten around to the projects that inspired me to buy it, but the trials I did were adequate. I think it was $30 or so.

In the past, I've used other cheap USB TV converters and found them pretty inadequate for watching TV. I do have one of those ATI capture cards but, in true ATI style, it only works in unison with this really confusing half-functional media player that was apparently intended for creatures from some other planet. The only files it can successfully play are raw .avi files saved from the tv tuner, yet it insists it has to be associated with all media types. So be careful when looking for capture on the cheap.

King Aquamentus
02-17-2008, 07:54 PM
Another problem is getting the sound recorded in PC screen capture. Should you take that avenue, you'll probably need to find a way to set sound recording so it records from your machine and all the sounds and music it plays, rather than from a microphone. (a problem I myself have.)

bluedeath
02-17-2008, 09:16 PM
That usb soundslike somthing I can actually afford.