PDA

View Full Version : Just of curiousity...

bluedeath
02-13-2008, 12:39 PM
Is it ok too set a Wii up on a HDTV? I am asking this before I hook it up, some people told me it could ruin your HDTV so I decided to ask here.

MottZilla
02-13-2008, 04:18 PM
Lies. Wii works fine on HDTVs. You should get some Component Video Cables to hook it up to the TV for the best quality. After doing so you might want to look for a video options menu on the Wii to enable 480p, also known as Progressive Video output. It will help you get the best picture quality.

bluedeath
02-13-2008, 10:36 PM
These cords, I think I saw them for sale at Blockbuster. Are they really worth getting?

DarkFlameWolf
02-13-2008, 10:50 PM
yes

MottZilla
02-14-2008, 04:31 AM
Absolutely. Composite Video is poor quality and looks even worse on HDTVs. Component Video is much better and you can use progressive scan which double the resolution per field. But, if you're not very picky about video quality, don't worry about it.

bluedeath
02-14-2008, 08:02 AM
I'll trysaving up for one, I have no $ and there only $17 :D

AlexMax
02-14-2008, 08:51 AM
Absolutely. Composite Video is poor quality and looks even worse on HDTVs. Component Video is much better and you can use progressive scan which double the resolution per field. But, if you're not very picky about video quality, don't worry about it.

It doesn't take someone who is picky to pick out the interlacing. It's like the difference between watching a TV and using a computer screen.

On the flipside, if you still have a normal television, don't hook up an HD gaming console to it. 95% of games don't really account for the fact that there are some people with normal TV's out there, and the user interface wll be almost unintelligible, and that's on top of the fact that most games don't account for the fact that some people don't have a wide screen and simply use black bars at the top and bottom, making it even more impossible to see. Thankfully, the Xbox 360 has a VGA cable adapter that allows you to get the HD experience without spending a lot of scratch on an HDTV, just buy or dumpster-dive a used 21 inch CRT, and if you get lucky you'll come across a really nice one. Combine with a cheap pair of computer speakers and an RCA -> computer speaker adapter, and you've just gotten an HD experience on the cheap.

MottZilla
02-14-2008, 05:19 PM
True Alex, infact that's something I did originally with my 360. I just bought the VGA cable and got to play in High-Def that way. Infact I still use it, but I bought another LCD Monitor that is Widescreen and has TV input capabilities so I can use it for regular TV, Xbox 1, PS2, and the 360 via VGA.

Now really I'm sure if you point out the interlacing and poor quality of composite that most people should notice. But unless you tell people they could be ignorant of it and not care. They'd just accept it.

The thing about HD games on SDTVs is soooooo true. Dead Rising for 360 used an extremely fine/small font that is completely unreadable in Composite Video. In Component Video but Interlaced it's still so hard to make out. You might have a chance if you have 480p. But there's lots of games if not most that assume you are running is 720p or higher now it seems to me.

HD is such a rip off when you realize how some PoS computer monitor can do the same thing and costs the same as a regular TV or maybe less. But we already knew that. :p

Mak-X
02-14-2008, 07:15 PM
Component Cables are worth it
http://ssv.vgafix.com/misc/vidcomp/tp_cut5.html

More cable comparisons
http://ssv.vgafix.com/misc/vidcomp/vidcomp.html

Nicholas Steel
02-14-2008, 09:08 PM
excellent example mottzilla, it is indeed a pain to read said text in said game. we don't have a TV that supports HD at all... so there is no point in getting a component A/V cable yet since they are like 40$ -.- and we would only be able to use the composite part of it still. (i assume the single connection for non HD TV's included in the cable is composite)

incidentally, i find deadrising boring... got fairly far and died, lost hour+ of work since i hate going back to save points -.-