PDA

View Full Version : Do you prefer Classic Tiles or Fancy Tiles

skaarj[warrior]
02-12-2008, 07:59 PM
I would like to know how many of you prefer modern tiles to classic tiles. Personally I think classic or similar tilesets (like demoex) have more flare, but I have the feeling that all advanced quest makers here switch to fancy tilesets - I'm asking because I would switch to some fancy tileset for my quest too, if really everybody absolutely abhores the classic tiles, but if there are some people who would still play with the classic I'll stick with the original.

I actually wanted to make a survey, but I think that's not possible?

C-Dawg
02-12-2008, 08:37 PM
How many times has this thread been made? Fifty? A hundred?

Dude, just make your quest not suck. If you're going for 1985, use the old school graphics. I'm going for about 1990 in my quests. Alot of other folks over at PureZC are going for 2000 or later. Just do whatever you want.

Russ
02-12-2008, 08:41 PM
Do whatever you want. I like classic. I like new tilesets. I don't really care. It depends on what style you are going for. If you want a typical save Zelda, kill Ganon quest, use classic. If you want an advanced one, use a newer tileset like DoR or PTUX. If it's your first quest, I suggest you use classic just for the sake of simplicity.

skaarj[warrior]
02-12-2008, 09:12 PM
C-Dawg, well I can't really know this thread has been made before since there is no search function, but I understand your frustration :D.

Anyways I am just curious and I also want people to enjoy my quest so I won't disregard your preferences.

bobrocks95
02-12-2008, 10:34 PM
As long as your quest is good, fun, and something somewhat different, people will enjoy it. It's not the tileset that makes the game. Besides, if you're going for simplicity now, you can always make some sort of 'Deluxe' version later on down the road.

Shazza Dani
02-12-2008, 11:07 PM
I don't like the classic tileset for two reasons.

1.) It's ugly.

2.) It's lacking a lot of things that modern quest have, thanks to new features in ZC. Now I know that the new version of ZC is going to have a vastly expanded default tileset, but going back to reason 1, it's still ugly.

Pineconn
02-12-2008, 11:33 PM
(I think you need either 50 or 100 posts in order to post a poll... likely 100.)

Even though I prefer advanced graphics, I wouldn't turn down a quest with LOZ graphics. Shoot, look at Molka (http://www.armageddongames.net/zeldaclassic/viewquest.php?q=214), Link's Amazing New Technicolor World! (http://www.armageddongames.net/zeldaclassic/viewquest.php?q=315), or Meaning of Christmas (http://www.armageddongames.net/zeldaclassic/viewquest.php?q=342).

Russ
02-12-2008, 11:35 PM
Even though I prefer advanced graphics, I wouldn't turn down a quest with LOZ graphics. Shoot, look at Molka (http://www.armageddongames.net/zeldaclassic/viewquest.php?q=214), Link's Amazing New Technicolor World! (http://www.armageddongames.net/zeldaclassic/viewquest.php?q=315), or Meaning of Christmas (http://www.armageddongames.net/zeldaclassic/viewquest.php?q=342).
What about End of Time. That was better than all of the other classic quests. Although I can see why you didn't put it on the list.

Pineconn
02-13-2008, 12:01 AM
I was going to, but I knew you would.

I think people have a bias toward LOZ/BS quests. They assume that these quests will be bad since they are typically created by newer authors, but the quest itself can't be portrayed in graphics alone. Likewise, people automatically assume quests constructed with Pure or DoR graphics will be excellent, so they are more likely to download it, but a quest's having good graphics doesn't make the quest good.

Russ
02-13-2008, 12:25 AM
I was going to, but I knew you would.

I think people have a bias toward LOZ/BS quests. They assume that these quests will be bad since they are typically created by newer authors, but the quest itself can't be portrayed in graphics alone. Likewise, people automatically assume quests constructed with Pure or DoR graphics will be excellent, so they are more likely to download it, but a quest's having good graphics doesn't make the quest good.
Never have truer words been said. The sad truth is a lot of the newer ones with flashy graphics are bad, and the ones with classic graphics are good.

And you were also right about the list. :D

Gleeok
02-13-2008, 12:35 AM
It's no coincedence that that about 3/4 of the quests i've beaten have been more "classic" looking. For alot of people it's just generally difficult to pump out a awesome looking, uber-layered, massive puzzle filled intricate dungeons etc... quest in under 2 years.

My favorite tileset is the demo set, which I used as a base for my classic quest. (wip) Although the DoR graphics are pretty amazingingly put together for ZC.

skaarj[warrior]
02-13-2008, 12:37 AM
@ Pineconn: that sounds very reasonable.

Thanks for your answers, I think my assumptions where right: there is overall a preference toward new tilesets, but the LOZ set is not completely dismissed. So since I just love the classic one I will stick with it.
(it just reminds me more of old times, when I was like 10, completely into the game, secretely sneaking to the computer after bedtime to play again ... :rolleyes: )

Russ
02-13-2008, 12:53 AM
;1161318']
(it just reminds me more of old times, when I was like 10, completely into the game, secretely sneaking to the computer after bedtime to play again ... :rolleyes: )
You shouldn't have done that. I know I never would. *Starts whistling* :D

Pteryx
02-13-2008, 04:15 AM
I'm personally looking to cobble together a tileset that doesn't look modern, but does look a bit better than the classic set while still being set up for easy CSet-swapping. Colorwise, I'm limiting myself to colors that can be constructed from values of R, G, and B that are either 0 or a multiple of 4 minus 1, for 16 possible values in each and thus 4096 possible colors. The tiles for the most part will not be original, but existing tiles adapted to these limitations. -- Pteryx

Joe123
02-13-2008, 06:40 AM
I never play classic quests; they just don't appeal to me anymore.

Use Akkabus' GB Tileset or summat, it's not much harder to use than Z1, and it looks so much better.

bobrocks95
02-13-2008, 09:47 AM
(I think you need either 50 or 100 posts in order to post a poll... likely 100.)

Meaning of Christmas was great, can't wait for Eternal Winter.

Russ
02-13-2008, 12:11 PM
Meaning of Christmas was great, can't wait for Eternal Winter.
Ya, neither can I. Plus, the author of those two quests and I are working on a joint quest. Right now we have most of it planned, and about five screens done. :D

I'm personally looking to cobble together a tileset that doesn't look modern, but does look a bit better than the classic set while still being set up for easy CSet-swapping. Colorwise, I'm limiting myself to colors that can be constructed from values of R, G, and B that are either 0 or a multiple of 4 minus 1, for 16 possible values in each and thus 4096 possible colors. The tiles for the most part will not be original, but existing tiles adapted to these limitations. -- Pteryx

The new default tileset, which is included with the alpha builds, is a heavily upgraded classic. It has all the classic tiles, plus new dungeon walls, lots of new tiles, and better palettes. There are also some upgraded classic sets at Pure ZC (such a demo ex, new classic, and another that I can't remember). And like Joe123 said, the GameBoy tileset by Akkabus at Pure ZC is pretty easy to use, and it looks nice.

Pteryx
02-14-2008, 09:18 AM
The new default tileset, which is included with the alpha builds, is a heavily upgraded classic. It has all the classic tiles, plus new dungeon walls, lots of new tiles, and better palettes.

I dunno about "better palettes"... the default palettes in the alphas (which I have been using) only seem to use six colors per CSet, tops. That said, I probably will be lifting a number of the tiles from the Classic set for recoloring into my new one. Basically I'm shooting for "prettier than the NES, but still on a very limited system." If I were satisfied with how the Classic set looked overall, I wouldn't be doing this. -- Pteryx

Russ
02-14-2008, 11:34 AM
Basically I'm shooting for "prettier than the NES, but still on a very limited system."
Try the BS tileset. It's fairly easy to use, as the game the toleset was based off of was a graphical update to the first quest. The newest version of 3.0. It can be downloads from Pure ZC's tileset database. And I would suggest you use 3.0 and not an earlier version, as 3,0 is a lot better than previous versions.

Pteryx
02-15-2008, 01:59 AM
Try the BS tileset. It's fairly easy to use, as the game the toleset was based off of was a graphical update to the first quest. The newest version of 3.0. It can be downloads from Pure ZC's tileset database. And I would suggest you use 3.0 and not an earlier version, as 3,0 is a lot better than previous versions.

Ripping tiles from that is also on the to-do list. I particularly like the cliffs for having all the flavor of the original and none of the monotony; the grass grates on me, though. I've additionally recolored some Game Boy trees; sure, they look squat, but so do 16x16 sprites, right? -- Pteryx

Gleeok
02-15-2008, 02:30 AM
Actually, I started making a mixed tileset a while back based on classic, and added pure, bs, final fantasy, dragon warrior and other random tiles, and recolored all the nes tiles. The main pallete is still a mess, as I haven't worked on it in half a year, but It's still way better than the default sets pallete. There's also tons of tiles and enemies in it. If you want I could send it to you, be warned that it's pretty unorganized. It's the set I was using for this quest: Level 3 demo (http://www.mediafire.com/?4zspdnxz0ac). There's no overworld in the demo but those are good too. They retain that nes feel to them though.

Pteryx
02-15-2008, 04:19 PM
There is some very nice stuff in there! :) (Nice FF3 dungeon remix there, too! But gah, Darknuts are bad enough even without them turning into Bubbles!...) I'm definitely interested in taking a look, anyway. -- Pteryx

Linkus
02-16-2008, 10:31 PM
Does "Fancy" Classic count?

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/6808/experiment2finidy6.gif
The bottom stuff there. A few things are missing, which I noticed just awhile ago...

I would have more such as some subscreen elements, but thanks to meddling with builds, I lost them to an auto-save and Dmap 0 bug... Hopefully one of the devs can save them... :D

Gleeok
02-17-2008, 12:36 AM
I could of swore I already replied to this yesterday?! :odd: ...Now I'm left wondering if there's some nonsensical post I made in some random thread somewhere...... huh....:confuse2:

Russ
02-17-2008, 12:03 PM
Does "Fancy" Classic count?

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/6808/experiment2finidy6.gif
The bottom stuff there. A few things are missing, which I noticed just awhile ago...

I would have more such as some subscreen elements, but thanks to meddling with builds, I lost them to an auto-save and Dmap 0 bug... Hopefully one of the devs can save them... :D
All I have to say is "Wow!". You are simply amazing.

MoonCheese
02-18-2008, 12:59 AM
The classic set is one of the easiest to work with. Newbies can use it without having to worry so much about what CSet to use for each tile or using layers, and those things also allow the experienced user to create screens faster. However, the classic set is very limited unless you add tiles to it. For one, there are no suitable town tiles (like houses).

I do like the retro look that classic gives, but quests with "fancy" tiles look more varied and interesting to me. I wouldn't avoid a quest because of the tileset it uses though. Some people are like "ZOMG NE1 WHO YOOZIZ CLASIK TYLEZ R N00BZ LOLZOR!" and I think that discourages newbies from ever making a quest at all because they think they need one of the more difficult-to-master tilesets to make a quest people will play. (It did to me, back when I first used ZC in 2003. I abandoned a classic tileset quest I had started to do one with Pure, and realized it took me like a half-hour to do one screen as a n00b. I was overwhelmed by the large number of tiles and was still trying to learn how to use ZC and what its limits are. Then, after I did like 8 screens, I realized I had set up the layers wrong on every one of them, and just gave up.)

One advantage classic has (assuming we're talking about the extended classic set in 2.10 etc.) is graphics for every enemy and item. Some other sets seem to be missing some. (Of course, any tiles can be changed using tiles from another source, but a newbie might find the whole thing intimidating or confusing.)

Gleeok
02-18-2008, 01:09 AM
Maybe we need to add a poll on this, if anyone's willing, so we can settle this once and for all...that is untill someone makes another one. ;)

Something like:

What tiles do you prefer to make quests with?

1)classic
2)fancypants

What tiles do you prefer when you play others' quests?

1)classic
2)fancypants

Russ
02-18-2008, 03:04 PM
Believe it or not, although I love making quests with DoR and PTUX (but mostly DoR), I like playing classic quests a lot. It's so fun to see how people use classic tiles. I like to import tiles and make edits to classic to make it almost like a new tileset, with things like gameboy style mountains, layered trees, etc.

Gleeok
02-19-2008, 01:48 AM
Alright then. Feel free to look through these. Another fine product of an organized mind. ;) Don't bother complaining about the palletes either. It's not pretty when your just surfing through the tiles pages without the proper colors. At least they're organized by type: classic/ pure/ ff/ dw/ dungeon/ etc.
Also the enemies have been slightly altered. :D

Classic_HybridSet_beta_635_or_higher (http://www.mediafire.com/?6ntzc4mdyxt)

Revfan9
02-19-2008, 05:31 AM
Better tiles are more enjoyable to look at, obviously. :|