PDA

View Full Version : Brawl (spoilers) Theory

Dechipher
02-12-2008, 01:46 AM
http://www.smashpower.com/forums/index.php?PHPSESSID=putq4cmq7lsp81md5e7sfp5ov6&topic=1426.0

That link shows data from a hack of SSBB, including other character data. I had this idea earlier: It's possible that even after unlocking all of the characters (for a total of 35) there might be more, to be time-released. IE: Japan has SSBB, they unlock everyone, everybody thinks that's it. Upon the American release, March 9th, it's now possible to unlock more characters. I know it may seem a little farfetched, but that wouldn't necessarily surprise me. The roster for SSBB is, so far, at least a little disappointing. 2 SF clones? That's ridiculous. Even though many of the "axed" characters in that list would be essentially clones, it'd still help round things better.

Thoughts? I'm not saying that's how it is, just a theory.

MottZilla
02-12-2008, 02:39 AM
Time release is unlikely. You could just set the time on your Wii up a couple years. What would be more likely is a game update issued later on. But these file names don't nessisarily mean anything. Maybe that contains data for their cameo appearence somewhere.

Skulkraken
02-12-2008, 02:42 AM
How would they hide the extra characters in the code without snoopers cracking it and telling everyone else about it? Wouldn't it be easier to just leave it out entirely and add it later using a patch? (Unless that's what you were talking about...)

Agh, Mott beat me to the part about game updates.

MottZilla
02-12-2008, 02:46 AM
You can't crack/hack Wii games yet. I believe executables are signed. Modifying them will cause the machine not to load it. Modchips currently just allow you to run a non-modifed game off a DVD-R.

Also, there's always the possibility that the japanese and importers haven't discovered everything yet. The characters could be unlockable but no one has done it yet.

Dechipher
02-12-2008, 03:40 AM
Apparently after you unlock the 35th character you get the "All Characters unlocked" screen. However, what you said about the game update might be more spot on. Maybe not so much the addition of characters, but the green light from Nintendo that tells SSBB to allow players to unlock more characters. The data's already there but you just can't access it yet. This would prevent Japanese gamers from spoiling ALL the characters. I find it hard to believe that the SSBB team would scrap characters, especially with the delays.

EDIT: Unless the characters were really not just working, but they all seem like clones, so it wouldn't make sense that they wouldn't work.

Icey
02-12-2008, 04:02 AM
It wouldn't be the first time a major secret was revealed long after a game was released; I remember how the Naboo Fighter in N64's Rogue Squadron was kept a secret until the Phantom Menace came out in theatres. However, I wouldn't count on getting more characters. That's just suspending your disappointment... accept the roster as it is now, and if more characters come by surprise, well, they will. It would be nice, but putting too much faith in that is a good way to enhance your disappointment.

Breaker
02-12-2008, 07:14 AM
I find it hard to believe that the SSBB team would scrap characters, especially with the delays.

EDIT: Unless the characters were really not just working, but they all seem like clones, so it wouldn't make sense that they wouldn't work.

It happens all the time in the development cycle of any game. These characters could have been planned initially, but were later scrapped so that other unique characters could be focused on completing. Compared to other Smash Brother titles this one doesn't have nearly as many clones, so I'd be pretty happy with the roster that we got. In the future it's definitely possible that more characters could be added through content updates.

Kairyu
02-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Apparently after you unlock the 35th character you get the "All Characters unlocked" screen.
This. The roster is the roster and continuing to fantasize about Ridley, Issac and Cloud as PCs will not get you anything but disappointment.

Entirely new characters also seems like a rather strange content update. I'd assumed any patches available online would just be bugfixes or minor balance tweaks if something gamebreaking is discovered. The potential is there, but I really don't see it happening.

Do the folders in question actually contain any files?

Dechipher
02-12-2008, 11:10 AM
From what I read, the files that are on that are in the same format as the actual characters' files.

I actually don't care for any of those three in SSBB, except maybe Cloud and that won't happen. The only reason I bring this topic is that I had considered this idea before the Japanese release, and all the listed characters were either in Melee or have pre-existing data via other characters (ie: Diddy/Dixie,) so it wouldn't be that surprising if this went down.

MottZilla
02-12-2008, 04:49 PM
Just remember that they ended up scrapping characters in SSB Melee too, and probably did so in the very first SSB. And also remember developers often end up leaving files in the project directory either cause they are lazy or they are paranoid about breaking something, who knows. It's not uncommon for a game to have references to beta content or cut content. I know Mortal Kombat 4 (arcade) referenced Kitana who was supposed to be in the game but ended up cut. And I seem to remember in Zelda 64 or Mario 64 there were secret test levels you could access with GameShark.

So I agree, don't expect them to really exist as characters anytime soon. However you may keep an eye on it, because I imagine Datel is working to make Action Replay for Wii since it's the last system that really has the possibility of Action Replay. PS3 and 360 are setup so Action Replay/GameShark wouldn't really be possible.

vegeta1215
02-13-2008, 12:34 AM
There's no room on the character select screen for additional characters! Give it up people! :lol: Sorry, I couldn't resist.

It would be cool if Dr. Mario or Dixie Kong were alternate "costumes" for Mario and Diddy Kong. And I would love to see Tetra. But, it seems unlikely.

ShadowTiger
02-13-2008, 07:05 AM
The only thing I heard about this were that these extra "unlockable" characters were remnant data from Pichu, Roy, Dr. Mario, Mewtwo, and Young Link. Sorry. :-/ They're not coming back. Brawl was apparently just built on Melee, is all.

Breaker
02-13-2008, 09:33 AM
Kinda how the Wii is just built upon the Gamecube.

MottZilla
02-13-2008, 04:20 PM
Hahaha. Owned. ;p

That makes sense though. Someone should compare the files from Melee to Brawl and they might find them to be identical.

The_Amaster
02-13-2008, 04:46 PM
You know, you guys have forgotten one important thing: Downloadable Content. Who's to say that any extra characters are hidden in the code or files. Maybe they'd be released online or whatever. I actually had this idea a few weeks ago, and though it would be cool if every month or so they release a new stage, or a character, or something.

MottZilla
02-13-2008, 05:48 PM
Um, no we're not. You must have missed it. I said in my very first post that it might be an update you download. But yes it would be a nice thing if they kept throwing out new things to keep interest, but it's obvious they don't really need to as SSBB is THE Wii game now.

The_Amaster
02-13-2008, 05:50 PM
Oh, whoops. I did read your post, but I missed the implied "downloadable".

Kairyu
02-13-2008, 07:58 PM
You know, you guys have forgotten one important thing: Downloadable Content.

Entirely new characters also seems like a rather strange content update. I'd assumed any patches available online would just be bugfixes or minor balance tweaks if something gamebreaking is discovered. The potential is there, but I really don't see it happening.
The roster is still the roster and continuing to fantasize about Ridley, Issac and Cloud as PCs will still not get you anything but disappointment.

Dechipher
02-13-2008, 08:52 PM
The roster is still the roster and continuing to fantasize about Ridley, Issac and Cloud as PCs will still not get you anything but disappointment.

I'm not sure if you've caught this, but we've not said anything close to "Man, I bet they give us new characters upon the US release" or "I bet we get to download Ridley as a PC, I just know it!" I fear you are lumping us into a category that we don't fit into, that of the adolescent Smash Bros fan who is convinced beyond a doubt that there's so much more to discover and that no matter what the aforementioned characters will be in the game. We are merely discussing different options.

AlexMax
02-14-2008, 06:13 AM
You know, you guys have forgotten one important thing: Downloadable Content. Who's to say that any extra characters are hidden in the code or files. Maybe they'd be released online or whatever. I actually had this idea a few weeks ago, and though it would be cool if every month or so they release a new stage, or a character, or something.

The concept of Wii games having officially sanctioned downloadable content is without precedent. In addition, I have heard no utterance of any mention of DLC for Smash Brothers outside of the obvious "map of the day" feature, and if there was, I guarantee you that it would have been mentioned a long time ago.

We are merely discussing different options.

And we've established that there is no chance of it happening. QED.

Kairyu
02-14-2008, 10:26 AM
I'm not sure if you've caught this, but we've not said anything close to "Man, I bet they give us new characters upon the US release" or "I bet we get to download Ridley as a PC, I just know it!"
That quote was directed at Amaster42, who actually did say something close to "I think there will be downloadable characters."

Dechipher
02-14-2008, 12:34 PM
And we've established that there is no chance of it happening. QED.

In the future it's definitely possible that more characters could be added through content updates.

Also, there's always the possibility that the japanese and importers haven't discovered everything yet. The characters could be unlockable but no one has done it yet.

Clearly. Also, vegeta mentioned alternate costumes.

MottZilla
02-14-2008, 05:11 PM
Also, Famitsu I believe it is, the japanese mag in a recent issue said that while interviewing the producer of SSBB that DLC like WiiWare for SSBB is expected. Something along those lines.

AlexMax
02-14-2008, 08:35 PM
Just because Mott and Breaker say its a possibility doesn't mean I have to agree with them. It is still without precedent, and I'll beleive it when I see it. However, since I'm not emotionally invested in the game, I also don't particularly care either way.

Dechipher
02-15-2008, 12:30 AM
Just because Mott and Breaker say its a possibility doesn't mean I have to agree with them. It is still without precedent, and I'll beleive it when I see it. However, since I'm not emotionally invested in the game, I also don't particularly care either way.

I'm sorry. I must have misread your post to say 'we' and not 'I'.

My bad.

AlexMax
02-17-2008, 06:51 AM
I'm sorry. I must have misread your post to say 'we' and not 'I'.

My bad.

hey decipher someone actually found a previously unannounced final third party character unlock in brawl so if you don't like spoilers don't keep reading okay

http://xs224.xs.to/xs224/08070/brawlne790.jpg (http://xs.to)

you heard it here first, and i'm really sorry for doubting you

MasterSwordUltima
02-17-2008, 06:57 AM
Well go on, I'm listening.

Breaker
02-22-2008, 05:23 AM
IGN: We have to ask because there are so many rumors about this. Are there any hidden characters to come? Can you unlock more hidden fighters by way of WiiConnect24 or will you offer new downloadable content -- new fighters, for example. -- using the service?

Masahiro Sakurai: No. There are no characters that can be unlocked via connecting to WiiConnect24 or interacting in that fashion. And I may be mistaken here, but the Wii doesn't have a hard drive -- it's a disc-based system -- so I don't think we'll be doing that, I don't think it's going to happen.

IGN: Smash Bros. is a very competitive series, but you have avoided detailed online stat tracking and leader board ranking systems for Brawl. Why is that?

Masahiro Sakurai: Well, I'm sure that people hitting ranks one through 10, were there such a ranking system, would be incredibly pleased with it and having a lot of fun. But, you know, it's not fun for everybody involved per se if such a system were to exist. I was asked this time around to try and get Wi-Fi into the game and so certainly we've managed to get wireless battles so you can play with people in other places. But it's really a game in my mind that has been designed to be played with a smaller group of people -- be that a group of friends or within your house a group of family members -- competing in the small circles and not really worrying about winning and losing so much as the process that gets you there. That is where the fun should hopefully be for a lot of people. It can also be kind of trying and painful for some people who want to be at the top and think that they're really good at Smash and they look at their online ranking and they're the one-hundred-thousandth best Smash Bros. player -- those are some of the reasons I've decided not to go with leader boards.

IGN: Why can't players in random online matches communicate or even see each other's names? What's the philosophy behind that?

Masahiro Sakurai: When thinking about this game and when realizing that we were going to do Wi-Fi, we had to think a lot about the whole idea of communication over the Internet. When we were doing this, one of the things that we paid a lot of attention to is the fact that there are a lot of unpleasant experiences to be had out there, be that being insulted over the Internet or that sort of thing.

----------

It's really sad that Nintendo has adopted this stupid philosophy that online play should be limited to the home and online communication is scary. Talk about dark ages.

ShadowTiger
02-23-2008, 12:21 PM
I kinda get it, but I can also see its failures. There's really no "right" way to do it, because no matter what you do, someone is always going to complain. Either it's the hardcore gamers, or it's the kids. If the kids don't make the list of top ten Smashers, they're more likely to complain, and then Nintendo could lose those easily-affected younger gamers. Older gamers are supposedly more mature.

Besides, it must be tough to maintain such a list online. Easier to keep it off. You could also have various swear words in names and taunt messages and such; though that's been touched upon already.

Anyway, to copy and paste a post from PureZC I made in the Brawl Spoilers thread over there. It's pretty long, but worth reading if you're interested in the game's physics.

So as of today, I have played Brawl. Someone brought in their Modded Wii, complete with Brawl somehow burned onto a disc. I had a turn at Zero Suit Samus first on the Gamecube Controller, and then Fox on the same, and then King Dedede on a Wiimote+Nunchuck combination, and then Marth on the same Wiimote+Nunchuck combo. Here's what I experienced. (And dangit, I've got nearly four hours to make this post, so I'd better make it count.)

Zero Suit Samus:
The round started off with me choosing Samus just to see what ZSS was like. I remembered that you could choose ZSS outright by holding R (Shield) when advancing to the stage selection screen, but then I promptly forgot about it when actually recommending the stage. We chose Final Destination because I chose that moment to be especially loud and particularly pleasing to the ego. So the match had begun, and I noticed that I was indeed ZSS, despite having not held R. Actually I had, because I'm just used to holding in R when selecting a Stage in Melee to get the alternate music, and I guess it carried over. Whatever. I didn't see any superspecial entry effects for her, but I wasn't paying that much attention either. I was more interested in knowing where on the screen I was. I suppose she enters with her "Twirl and wrap her plasma whip around her with a flourish" pose upon entry, if you must have something to sate you.

Now. A word about ZSS. Two things, actually.
Her Up+B to recover, .. .. I dunno. I didn't really see much recovery with it. I lost a life to it, in fact. Far too chaotic to see what was happening. I got hit off the stage, hit Z, and forgot what happened. I didn't grapple the stage, that's for sure. I hit Up+B. Nada. So I died. I don't even think I caught the edge for some reason. Then, on the ground, while I wasn't being assailed by a Peach, Metaknight, and Pit, I tried out my Down+B. She does an interesting arc in midair. It's clearly a recovery move, as I sincerely doubt it's even capable of doing any damage. It's just a little gymnastic move. Really.

Here Forward+B is a NICE Plasma Whip extension. It actually reaches pretty far. I also tried that "Grab while holding <AWAY>" and I suppose it reached a bit longer, but I really wasn't playing long enough to pay attention. I was more focused at Smashing and doing her Plasma Whip forward move. And yes, Up+B Is indeed the similar Plasma whip, only directed upward. Didn't have a chance to use it much.

Her aerial moves are actually pretty nice. I can't really describe them, other than "A Helix to Shiek's." They feel similar to hers, but with every opposite twist. Her Fair is exceptional, as is her Bair. I didn't get a chance to see her Nair.

Her Dair is deadly though. To you. It's just like Sonic's. You pause a tiny bit in the air, and then *ZOTT* ... you shoot down and a little bit forward with quite a bit of speed, hammering any hapless opponent who happens to be there. It CAN EASILY KO you. Be careful with it, and make sure that you know what you're doing before you use it.

Fox:
... Oh boy. Fox was .. fun. I mean that in all ways. First of all, if you're one of those Zelgadis (http://youtube.com/watch?v=44CRrJVhUIo) people, you're in for a sore surprise. Although Fox's moves aren't really different, the very feel is soooo much different entirely. Fox isn't as light but heavy as he was in Melee. Also, if you relied on crouch-canceling (Or anything else.) to link into a Smash Up, you're totally out of luck, from what I can tell, you can't crouch cancel at all anymore. You just keep moving forward with whatever momentum you had. A serious loss for all Melee experts everywhere.

Shining is interesting too. It felt cheaper FOR Fox, but also felt oddly satisfying. I'm not really sure why. > >.' It's a tiny bit harder to shine someone, because their attacks can easily get in the way, and it felt a bit like his hitbox was a bit smaller, but ... ... it was fine, really, when you can get in that perfect shine. Also, you no longer have to press "up" to get out of it faster. It just depends on how long you hold B. The smallest shine felt like it was about one third of a second, I suppose. Definitely not instant, but nothing entirely inconvenient at all.

His laser hasn't changed much. I didn't try it that much in air, but it didn't feel like you could do much of a running SHFFL with it either. I'm not really sure what the problem was, but he felt sort of bogged down while he was doing it. His Up+B move still has wonderful attack power, and is not to be underestimated nor underused. It was that one "Ace up my sleeve" that I had when I was in trouble. Forward+B still has a lot of speed behind it. Didn't try it that much; was more attentive toward making sure I got back on the platform.

OH. I should mention that the trick where you're hanging off of the ledge, then press down to release yourself, and INSTANTLY press jump and then attack, .. .. .. yeah. That still works. :twisted: Seriously, I am so happy about that. So immensely happy... ... ...

Many of Fox's attacks definitely hit harder; not like in Melee. You can combo into them as easily though. Take his Throw Down move. Grab an enemy, and press Down, .. and whereas in Melee, he'd throw him down and laser him a bunch, and then you could immediately do any attack on him, like Smash down, down+attack, up+attack, ... ... yeah. In Brawl, the guy just flies away after the down throw. I didn't really use any other throws though.

I got about two Smash Balls with Fox. His Landmaster is, yeah, ... pretty damn badass. The laser does indeed hit where you'd imagine it would. Doing a barrel roll on the ground kinda tosses whoever is on you down to the ground, and then gets hit by the Landmaster's hitbox. (Well, they would. O.o They got tossed under it. XD ) It can also fly, but it's a fairly slow and clumsy flight.

King Dedede
... man is this guy heavy. I liked pretty much all of his attacks, but he's SOOO Slow. He feels a LOT like Donkey Kong from Melee, ... ... except possibly slower. His Forward+B move (He throws a Waddle Dee.) feels kinda like the intent of Peach's thrown vegetables, I guess. His A attacks are pretty powerful, and his forward Smash attacks feel like the Ice Climbers, only, well, .. bigger. Almost like you're hitting someone over the head with one of those streetside magazine stand shops. :P Heh, seriously. His Up+B Attack was kinda odd. You just bounce upward, and if you land, (IF. It's risky.) you do indeed suffer about two full seconds of recovery time, if not more. I think I KO'd someone with it to win the match, actually, though it was entirely accidental. (Yeah right. No really!)

Not that much more to say about it. Even his Bair move is like Donkey Kong's. :shrug: I sucked someone in, but didn't do much with it. Didn't know what I could do.

Marth.

... ... Ah, my Marth... ... At long last, we are reunited.

Marth is just as much a badass as he is in Melee. His attacks hit even harder, (They're DEFINITELY A LOT More tangible. O_O ) and it's easier to use your Fairs and Bairs against foes, especially when they're on the ground. It's still just as easy to Forward-slash someone (While on the ground.) right away from you, and still just as easy to smash attack. It hits pretty hard.

His Sword Dancing move(s) aren't as .. uh .. flashy as they were. Also, unfortunately, using a single Forward+B in midair when recovering no longer helps at all. In fact, it almost harms you by canceling almost all of your momentum. It's pretty tragic, really. :-/ I wonder if DI's work here too. Hell, considering his recovery has been nerfed so hard, he'd need one. Desperately.

I suppose that's all I can tell you, really. Oh. Air Dodging. Normal dodging on the floor works wonderfully, I suppose. No complaints there. Didn't really notice myself using them much, but when I DID, they definitely worked very, very well.
AIR DODGING, on the other hand, ... Well, Z didn't work. I don't even know if R or L did either, because they didn't seem to have much of an effect in the least. As far as I'm concerned, I was entirely air-dodge-less as everybody. It. SUCKED. TERRIBLY.

I should update this with content I've learned since then.

Concerning Zero Suit Samus: Her Forward Ground Smash Attack is similar to her Forward+B. She uses her whip, essentially. It has considerable range too, almost as much as her Forward+B. Her Forward+B has a "sweet spot" on the end of it which, if done precisely, can actually hit someone who is edge-hogging. Very, very difficult to pull off though. Again, the move has incredible range. That sweet spot is more than likely to be utilized when using the attack though, because it hits enemies anyway as you use it because of the nature of the attack. It practically pushes foes toward the sweet spot, so fear not.

Her Up-Tilt attack is a phenomenal attack as well. So is her Standing Up+B. It too has a sweet spot at the tip. You can also spam it in place, using the right timing of course, to keep your enemy suspended in midair for a while. Very interesting attack. Don't underestimate it. It brings your foe down to you when it hits them, and you can repeat the move to send them back up to the sweet spot at the end of the whip and back down again to you to use it again. Seriously. Good attack.

Don't bother with her Standard B move though. It's nigh useless. The Fully Charged blast (Which takes only a single second to charge, and is barely more powerful than the uncharged blast anyway.) doesn't stun anyone much at all, for a paralyzer. Rather, her normal Downsmash, which fires her paralyzer at your opponent's feet right in front of you, that actually stuns them for one or more seconds. Do use it often. Particularly fully charged, if you can make it.

Her Down+B Gymnastic flip actually has its uses. For one, yes, it's a recovery move, and can get you closer to the edge of the platform while recovering to use her grapple tether, I believe. It can also be used to spike! You just have to get both the timing and the spacial distance correct, and in the middle of the arc, you can press A, I believe, to have her extend her legs for a kick while maintaining the arc in midair. It really is a pretty good spike move, from what I can tell.

Anyway, Captain Falcon still has his electric Knee smash attack from Melee. It just is released a little bit later, so you should do the Fair (Forward-Aerial attack.) a little bit earlier, around the height of your shorthop, to release it as desired.

Snake's Downsmash move actually plants a proximity mine in the ground. There can only be one onstage though. His Down+B move plants a remote control mine in the ground. You can also plant one on the head of your opponent if he's standing right in front of you. (Yes. Really...) Meaning you can send them high up nearly off the stage via whatever means available to you, and then hit your Down+B to explode the mine, sending them the remaining distance offscreen. A pretty solid attack, I think.

Although you can't jump at all from the release of his Cypher (Up+B Recovery move.) you can still attack on the way down.

Oh. There's also a neat item, in the form of a soccer ball. You can't pick it up. It's the equivalent of Mr. Saturn, but hits harder. You can attack it, and it'll be cast out like a real soccer ball (Utilizing the Havoc Physics engine, also powering Half Life 2. <3 ) to send it out towards another character. It does hit relatively hard, I suppose, particularly owing to the fact that there's a trail of smoke and fire behind it after it's kicked. :p

Oh! I almost forgot. Marth's Forward+B sword dancing move (the first step only.) actually does help you recover, but only if used a fraction of a second after your midair jump. So in Melee, it was at the crest of your midair jump. In Brawl, it's immediately after you hit jump. The effect is a lot smaller, but at least it's still in there.

vegeta1215
02-23-2008, 03:01 PM
We put the word "Spoilers" in the title of the thread...there's no need for spoiler tags.

Breaker
02-23-2008, 03:58 PM
If you think leaderboards, voice chat, and online play are negatives, then you've never played a 360 game, or a REAL "next-gen" game for that matter. While there can be jerks who talk shit over their mics, they can always be muted. The pros far outweigh the cons and it makes for an awesome gaming experience. If nintendo is so PC that they're afraid to put leaderboards and voice chat on their games then they're missing out big time.

Besides, it must be tough to maintain such a list online. Easier to keep it off. You could also have various swear words in names and taunt messages and such; though that's been touched upon already.

No, XBL does it just fine and there are measures to prevent profanity or offensive names. It's definitely possible, Nintendo just chooses not to.

rock_nog
02-23-2008, 04:07 PM
Yeah, I don't understand Nintendo's online strategy one bit - it's like, they want online play, but they don't want the Wii to be featured in an episode of the Chris Hansen show. For some bizarre reason, they're convinced that they can do both at the same time.

Oh, and ShadowTiger, how did the different control-styles that you tried compare?

ShadowTiger
02-23-2008, 04:28 PM
Thanks for asking. I really need to open up by saying "Stick to the 'cube controller initially" if you're going to be facing against real humans soon. Brawl is just similar enough to Melee that you'll definitely be glad that you did. When I was playing in so crowded a room as the Anime Club I was in, there were only two 'cube controllers and two Wiimote/Nunchuck combo controllers set up. The unrehearsed change to the Wiimote/Nunchuck combo was not an easy one in the least. There is a constant fumbling (Again, initially, before you get used to it.) to press the right button and to find the right button. You've got A, B, and Shield to have to push. Even after you get used to it, there's really no advantage to using the Wiimote/Nunchuck style that I can see, particularly since no style actually uses any sort of motion sensor. So on the Wiimote, the "A" button is your normal A attack, and the "B" Button (Which you reach with no small amount of difficulty and awkwardness...) under the controller is your B attack. On the Nunchuck, the Analog Stick lets you move and such, and the ... I think the top of the two buttons is the shield button. Smashing isn't too difficult on the setup, I didn't think...

Eh. Just stick with the Gamecube controller. The controls are exactly the same by default, so you really don't lose anything. I think the only difference is air dodging, but I'm not sure exactly why I couldn't get that to work anyway, so I don't know if it was really changed, control-wise, or if I was just doing it wrong under the new system.

In any case, just try it out a bit on your own in private, offline first, so you can get used to everything.

THEN we can all battle for supremecy. :D

Dechipher
02-23-2008, 06:08 PM
If you think leaderboards, voice chat, and online play are negatives, then you've never played a 360 game, or a REAL "next-gen" game for that matter. While there can be jerks who talk shit over their mics, they can always be muted. The pros far outweigh the cons and it makes for an awesome gaming experience. If nintendo is so PC that they're afraid to put leaderboards and voice chat on their games then they're missing out big time.

No, XBL does it just fine and there are measures to prevent profanity or offensive names. It's definitely possible, Nintendo just chooses not to.

I agree. Ten years ago, this stance could have made sense (especially over the "No internet" route.) However, any kid over 8 years old has already had extensive experience with the internet.

The only thing I can think of to justify them doing this is that they have a standard (even if it's not something that is supported by all of their gamers) and they're going to stay with it. I can dig that. Nintendo kids are at least usually more decent than XBox live kids.

vegeta1215
02-24-2008, 07:26 PM
I agree. Ten years ago, this stance could have made sense (especially over the "No internet" route.) However, any kid over 8 years old has already had extensive experience with the internet.

The only thing I can think of to justify them doing this is that they have a standard (even if it's not something that is supported by all of their gamers) and they're going to stay with it. I can dig that. Nintendo kids are at least usually more decent than XBox live kids.

They have a decent arguement for why they do some of the online stuff (keeping things family friendly, sticking to standards, ensuring a pleasant experience for all), but they have no excuse for not having some kind of external storage device. I honestly don't know how they expect to roll out Wii Ware games later this and expect no problems without external storage.

Breaker
02-24-2008, 08:09 PM
I'm speculating that they'll release an external hard drive for the Wii.

AlexMax
02-27-2008, 12:21 PM
I'm speculating that they'll release an external hard drive for the Wii.

And therefore hamstringing the entire concept. Hey kids, if you want to download WiiWare, you need to buy yet another extra peripheral, as if you hadn't got enough of those for your Wii already.

In Nintendo's defense, Microsoft has ridiculously retarded policies on user-created content. To be more specific, the only way to play Forge maps in Halo 3 or play custom N+ maps is to connect to another player. Being able to browse a directory of user-created content in both cases is right out. The possibility of custom content in UT3 is not looking good either. Sony is the only one so far who has said "We don't give a fuck", and they don't actually have any worthwhile games to create user-created content with, so it's a moot point.