A Modest Proposal [Archive] - Armageddon Games Forums

PDA

View Full Version : A Modest Proposal

Terradigits
02-01-2008, 09:59 PM
While my time here may have, so far, been short, I have a request to bestow apon the elegant, gracious hosts of this site. Can we possibly double or triple the amount of private message we're allowed to send/recieve? Frankly, i've already filled up 1.2 times, and it will soon get annoying. Private messages consume very little space (I can get statistics if nessecary), and with the amount of resources and prestige present at AGN, im sure my request will be no problem. Don't make me start demanding. (I kid, I kid. But really, you don't want to be on one of my bad lists...)

Prrkitty
02-01-2008, 10:00 PM
If you donate towards the site costs... you get "perks". You might wanna look into that way of increasing your send/receive problem that you seem to be having.

Link to the thread to help you: http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/showthread.php?t=81167

Terradigits
02-01-2008, 10:05 PM
Wow...

I can't believe some of the things we're expected to pay for. A search feature? Was it really worth the time taken to gimp that out of the software by default? Sorry, but you guys don't pioneer or provide, you profit.

my rant for the day.

Pineconn
02-01-2008, 10:06 PM
What problem? I can hold 10000. :D

TD, just save a log of them when your box gets full. BTW, you aren't being satirical (Ã* la Swift's pamphlet of the same name), are you?

Terradigits
02-01-2008, 10:07 PM
No, there is no satirical prose in my works at this time. I'm simply paying tribute to a great writer as well as my namesake.

Jenny
02-01-2008, 10:14 PM
I can solve your problem - use the FREE feature - Delete Messages.

Pineconn
02-01-2008, 10:14 PM
prose

Ooh, that was fly. Did you hurt yourself? :p

Also, if we didn't PM each other every five minutes, then you wouldn't have the problem of a full PM box. :D

Terradigits
02-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Well, frankly Pineconn, its just....no one else will talk to me :(

And as for delete? too much of a hassle. Just double the limit. Seriously, its excessivly extreme. And don't pull the "it saves money card", because it doesn't. If someone is going to donate to your site, they'll do it regardless of the PMs, so by having the low limit, you're just p***ing off everyone who regularly PMs.

biggiy05
02-01-2008, 10:17 PM
Wow...

I can't believe some of the things we're expected to pay for. A search feature? Was it really worth the time taken to gimp that out of the software by default? Sorry, but you guys don't pioneer or provide, you profit.

my rant for the day.

I don't think you understand how much traffic this site gets. If everyone could use the search feature AGN would crash. Also if I remember right the more posts you have the more pm's you can send/receive.

There is no profit from members paying for a premium membership.

Terradigits
02-01-2008, 10:23 PM
Maybe I am underestimating the traffic. But the search feature was simply one example of a side point I (perhaps foolishly) brought into the fold of this conversation. But how do other vbulletin sites deal with this traffic? Why not integrate a google search?

Jenny
02-01-2008, 10:29 PM
Well, frankly Pineconn, its just....no one else will talk to me :(

And as for delete? too much of a hassle. Just double the limit. Seriously, its excessivly extreme. And don't pull the "it saves money card", because it doesn't. If someone is going to donate to your site, they'll do it regardless of the PMs, so by having the low limit, you're just p***ing off everyone who regularly PMs.

im sorry, I didnt realise clicking the mouse 2 times was so hard ;)

lets just be happy we can even use this site and its features without much hassle :D

phattonez
02-01-2008, 10:33 PM
I thought that this thread was going to be about eating children. I'm severely disappointed.

Terradigits
02-01-2008, 10:35 PM
If you would like, I can discuss the practicallity of the real Modest Proposal with you. Or I can introduce baby eating into the thread somehow. But not until I get my point across. (although, frankly, I don't think I will. Nice guys finish last :()

phattonez
02-01-2008, 10:37 PM
Nice guys want to talk about eating kids?

scratchnloved
02-01-2008, 10:38 PM
I thought that this thread was going to be about eating children. I'm severely disappointed.

You an me both :(
I even had ma steak tenderizer ready :tongue:

Jenny
02-01-2008, 10:39 PM
Nice guys want to talk about eating kids?

Phattonez = 1

Terradigits = 0

phattonez
02-01-2008, 10:42 PM
You an me both :(
I even had ma steak tenderizer ready :tongue:

:scared:, and now cannibals enter AGN.

I can have 50 messages, what about you TD?

Gleeok
02-01-2008, 10:43 PM
Don't bother. The last thread about baby eating ended up being distasteful...There's just not enough meat in those kinds of discussions.

phattonez
02-01-2008, 10:45 PM
I'd like to argue that babies in and of themselves don't have enough meat.

Adults on the other hand . . .

Dechipher
02-01-2008, 10:47 PM
The Search feature consumes too much bandwidth. If everyone used it, AGN would go down in the first week of each month. Premium membership allows members to help pay to keep the site up.
Regarding private messages, you can do one of the following:
1. Take conversations to IM
2. Take requests and such to e-mail
3. Save your PMs to your computer
4. Become a premium member.

As has already been mentioned, no profit is made from Premium memberships, it just helps the site stay up.

Terradigits
02-01-2008, 11:12 PM
Well, the propsal WAS modest. You could make the argument that a nice guy wrote that paper. It WAS for the greater good.

And the PM issue is simple. Just double the size limit. No harm done. The current value was arbitrarely set relative to the "rewards" you dole out, and frankly the limit is just too low.

phattonez
02-01-2008, 11:12 PM
Private message DarkDragon about it.

Nicholas Steel
02-01-2008, 11:40 PM
If someone is going to donate to your site, they'll do it regardless of the PMs
Um,
if they doubled it then they would potentially lose money from people like you who PM too much.

I believe the problem with traffic is related to the quality of the server more so then the amount of bandwith AGN has available.

King Aquamentus
02-02-2008, 02:53 AM
every time a new person mentions something you have to pay for, things get ugly it seems...

DarkDragon
02-02-2008, 04:00 AM
While my time here may have, so far, been short, I have a request to bestow apon the elegant, gracious hosts of this site. Can we possibly double or triple the amount of private message we're allowed to send/recieve? Frankly, i've already filled up 1.2 times, and it will soon get annoying. Private messages consume very little space (I can get statistics if nessecary), and with the amount of resources and prestige present at AGN, im sure my request will be no problem. Don't make me start demanding. (I kid, I kid. But really, you don't want to be on one of my bad lists...)

Your capacity will double when you get 100 posts.
In any case, just delete your old PMs. AGN is not your private Thunderbird.

I'd have no objection to everyone being allowed to search, but War Lord has stated that it poses an unreasonable strain on bandwidth, and I don't pay the hosting fees, so that's that.

Masamune
02-02-2008, 03:37 PM

As did I.

Dechipher
02-02-2008, 03:57 PM
As did I.

Your avatar always makes me think of a Gremlin.

Pineconn
02-02-2008, 06:51 PM
Well, it doesn't look like Terradigits will have to worry about having a small message box anymore. :laughing:

biggiy05
02-02-2008, 10:57 PM
Well, it doesn't look like Terradigits will have to worry about having a small message box anymore. :laughing:

Pineconn did you know it was Pineconn_lolz?

Pineconn
02-02-2008, 11:16 PM
Yeah, we all actually knew (he pretty much came out and said it in "So...").

I didn't post for him by proxy, so I don't see what the problem is, officer. You'll never take me alive! :rolleyes:

erm2003
02-02-2008, 11:18 PM
Of course he did. Pineconn warned us he was going to join again before it even happened.

Pineconn
02-02-2008, 11:25 PM
He pretty much came up to me in school and said, "Yeah, I'm going to join AGN again." I just said, "Okay, but you'll just get banned again."

The same day he re-registered here, he registered in this stupid little forum (that I created a while ago), and since I'm admin of it, I was able to retrieve his IP address. ...How this matters I don't know.

MasterSwordUltima
02-02-2008, 11:35 PM
Holt crap Terradigits, are you freakin' spoiled or what? You just come off waaaay too strong, and considering how new you are here, you really have no power over anyone. Just deal with it.

Yeah okay whats this bullshit about two pages? Reguardless, my previous statement stands.