PDA

View Full Version : Governor's son sells 'Don't Drop the Soap'

Prrkitty
01-30-2008, 03:10 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/01/28/dont.drop.soap.ap/index.html

Quote: The son of Gov. Kathleen Sebelius is peddling a board game titled "Don't Drop the Soap," a prison-themed game he created as part of a class project at the Rhode Island School of Design.

John Sebelius, 23, has the backing of his mother and father, U.S. Magistrate Judge Gary Sebelius. The governor's spokeswoman, Nicole Corcoran, said both parents "are very proud of their son John's creativity and talent."

-----

I can't tell but from descriptions I'm assuming it's in the form of a board game. The article also says the guy got legal advice as well as a loan for the games development.

What bothers me is that this is a "... prison-themed game... " produced by the son of a governor AND a U.S. Magistrate judge.

The game has an "adults" rating but could still fall into kids hands. I don't think prison should be something kids "... play... ". Prison should be places kids should avoid at *all* costs.

eh... I'm probably making a mountain out of a molehill ...

Russ
01-30-2008, 03:21 PM
So, what's the big deal? He's just making a board game.

DarkDragoonX
01-30-2008, 04:11 PM
I don't see any problem here. I find it rather amusing, to be honest.

Feasul
01-30-2008, 04:14 PM
Eh, no one's getting hurt from it. Kids have been playing Cops 'n' Robbers for years, I doubt that's had much of an effect on the crime rate.
If you want to know what should be banned, it's Starcraft. One day the Zerg will come for us and all those people who played as Zerg will be too sympathetic to fight them.

Prrkitty
01-30-2008, 04:32 PM
I did admit at the end of my comment that I was probably making a mountain out of a mole hill...

I said that I thought prison shouldn't be a place that kids want to go ... it should be a place they wish to avoid. I was only admitting that *I* had misgivings over this... that's all.

MasterSwordUltima
01-30-2008, 05:28 PM
Didn't some statistics show that prison in-mates get better food than most people can afford? They can also have computers in their cell, books, tvs, anything. And they don't have to work for society. No wonder so many people steal.

phattonez
01-30-2008, 05:41 PM
Computers in the cell? What state is this? In California, we don't even have enough room for people.

MasterSwordUltima
01-30-2008, 05:51 PM
I dunno, I definitely remember hearing that though. Now this could have been back in highschool, or even middle school. So thats like, 6 years ago. [shrug]

I remember watching a show on TV about Tent City. That is just insane.

Aegix Drakan
01-30-2008, 09:18 PM
>_> No kidding... they treat the felons better than their victims!

Im my opinion, they should not be given anything extra in the cells. If their friends/family give them something, then that's Ok, I guess...But come on, the state providing computers? That's just rediculous! I mean, if this is the way things are going, then maybe being in jail is better than being out!

...hmmm...*jots down "convict for minor theft" under career options...*

[/terrible joke]

deathbyhokie
01-30-2008, 11:55 PM
The game has an "adults" rating but could still fall into kids hands. I don't think prison should be something kids "... play... ". Prison should be places kids should avoid at *all* costs.

I played the hell out of Risk when I was a kid, but it never instilled a desire in me to go out and start conquering the world.

Besides, I'd never be able to get Australia. Damn you Siam!

Prrkitty
01-31-2008, 04:16 PM
^ dbh... and in my younger days I played a LOT of Diplomacy... so point taken.

phattonez
01-31-2008, 04:34 PM
You know, I have no problem with them having books. It gives them something to do, gives some of them a little education (since most won't be in prison for life), and is relatively cheap.

The only things that a prisoner definitely should have:
Weights
Beds (cheap mattresses)
Toilets (soap, shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrushes, and maybe cheap combs)
Books
3 meals

I can't really think of anything else from there.

Feasul
01-31-2008, 06:25 PM
And the alcohol swap before the lethal injection. :tongue: I love unnecessary spending.

phattonez
01-31-2008, 06:50 PM
The death penalty is unnecessary spending in and of itself, but that's another debate.

deathbyhokie
02-02-2008, 02:04 PM
^ dbh... and in my younger days I played a LOT of Diplomacy... so point taken.

You should check out 1900 then. Much better for playing voer e-mail that standard Diplomacy.
Linky (http://www.variantbank.org/results/rules/1/1900.htm)

Maybe we could find enough folks to get an AGN game going.