PDA

View Full Version : FFC problems and questions

Master Maniac
01-28-2008, 07:31 PM
im not quite sure how this works really... kinda bothersome but its vital to my quest so i nees to know a few things [if its no problem XD]

1-how does linking FFCs work? does it make every combo you select do the exact same thing?

2- when i try to use the FFC thing it puts a combo in the top left hand corner of that screen and it wont let me remove it. how did i manage to do this? and how do i fix it?

3- how did everyone get so dang smart without me noticing?

Joe123
01-28-2008, 07:44 PM
im not quite sure how this works really... kinda bothersome but its vital to my quest so i nees to know a few things [if its no problem XD]

1-how does linking FFCs work? does it make every combo you select do the exact same thing?

2- when i try to use the FFC thing it puts a combo in the top left hand corner of that screen and it wont let me remove it. how did i manage to do this? and how do i fix it?

Right, I think we're going to have to hammer in the difference between 'Combo' and 'Freeform Combo Tile' here.

Linking FFCs has nothing to do with Combos.

An FFC is a bit like a custom sprite.
Actaully, 'Custom Screen Sprite' would be a much more appropriate name than 'Freeform Combo'.

Anyway.

Freeform combos are like custom sprites, which you can programme to do lots of different things.

They use combos for their attributes and data, but on their own they can't manipulate the combos drawn onto the screen.

What the 'Link' thing does makes the chosen FFC follow the FFC it is linked to.
So yes, it does the same thing, although applied scripts will not be the same.

What are you trying to do with that FFC?
Apply a script?

Just give the FFC a non-zero, transparent combo.

Master Maniac
01-28-2008, 07:50 PM
i showed you the script erlier that matthew cooked up and it was supposed to be a deep water script. so i imported it. and now ive got about 20 combos i want to attach it to but i dont know what to do with the variables or how to attach it properly.

and then comes the issue with the combo in the corner of the screen...

Gleeok
01-28-2008, 07:59 PM

Brain steroids!

Here's something I posted a bit ago. (http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/showpost.php?p=1153793&postcount=21)

It's the ffc! use a transparent combo for the ffc that uses the script!

I believe that particular script uses one of the combo id's for scripts, he should of explained it in the thread. I'll have a look at it.

Nimono
01-28-2008, 08:01 PM
i showed you the script erlier that matthew cooked up and it was supposed to be a deep water script. so i imported it. and now ive got about 20 combos i want to attach it to but i dont know what to do with the variables or how to attach it properly.

Ah, so ye are using me Deep Water script, eh, swabbie?

:p

Hehehe... Well, sadly, my current Deep Water script only really lets you choose 8 combos. :/ That is....8 per screen. It doesn't have to be the same values for the entire quest. :D That actually works nicely when Overworld water looks different from Dungeon water. :o So anyways... Do you see the D0 variables? They're in the Arguments tab of the current FFC. Set them to be the 8 combos you'd like to use as Deep Water for the current screen. Please remember that you'll have to set the variables for ALL screens you want to have Deep Water on. D:

Oh, and as for the combo in the corner of the screen? That's OBVIOUSLY the FFC. Normal x and y coordinates are 0,0. :P X Pos is the horizontal position of the FFC. Y Pos is the VERTICAL position. For my script, just leave them alone, the FFC doesn't have an effect when Link moves over it, so just place it...well, anywhere. But for your convenience, leave the position alone. Also, please remember that trying to use Combo 0 for the FFC will result in the FFC's settings getting removed. D: (That doesn't really make sense when you don't want it to display anything. It's really just a waste of combo space...)

Hope that helps! :D

Master Maniac
01-29-2008, 01:22 PM
thanks it does a lot. so each D: is where i set the combo i want to be swimmable if level 2 flippers are present? and if theres only 8 then couldnt i just set up a second one and have 8 more? or would zquest turn into an evil demon beast and bite my face off for that?

Russ
01-29-2008, 01:34 PM
thanks it does a lot. so each D: is where i set the combo i want to be swimmable if level 2 flippers are present? and if theres only 8 then couldnt i just set up a second one and have 8 more? or would zquest turn into an evil demon beast and bite my face off for that?
That seems possible. I don't know what the results would be though. But it seems possible.

Joe123
01-29-2008, 01:39 PM
It seems to me like it would create a big scripting mess.

Master Maniac
01-29-2008, 01:54 PM
you mean it seems possible that it would turn into a demon beast and bite my head off, or it might work? cuz i dont want to kill my quest just yet.

Nimono
01-29-2008, 02:02 PM
you mean it seems possible that it would turn into a demon beast and bite my head off, or it might work? cuz i dont want to kill my quest just yet.

I'd suggest you don't try to use two copies of the same script on the screen. That's buggy. It seriously won't work that way, sorry. D:

Russ
01-29-2008, 02:10 PM
It won't work? It seems like it would. Oh well.

Master Maniac
01-29-2008, 02:29 PM
aww... well... ok. hey new question. can someone help me set up a ffc enemy real quick? ive got the graphics and everything picked out and damage and everything but i need help with some extra parts.

ok 2x2 main enemy.

then 1x1 eyes. there will be about 4 of those.

i want the main enemy to die when the eyes are dead. but i need the eyes to be able to be pulled to you by hookshot but not damaged by anything other than the sword.

and on top of that i need them all to be moving kinda sluggish between the top and middle of the screen. also can someone tell me how to make a ffc have health?

please and thank you????

Russ
01-29-2008, 06:19 PM
Hm, that sounds like the eyesoar. To make a FFC have health, just make an invisible enemy spaw ontop if the FFC and move with it.

Joe123
01-29-2008, 06:45 PM
Make sure that you don't spawn enemies in the script, and that you place them, then load them in the script.

Otherwise you'll release a game that's broken by your bosses, and it'll make you want to cry =P

Master Maniac
01-29-2008, 08:39 PM
oook umm how do i make the enemy and the ffc stay together? and also i dont know the slightest thing about writing scripts. or for that matter i dont even know where the script showcase is. ive been trying to get by without them but i couldnt.

C-Dawg
01-30-2008, 01:32 PM
oook umm how do i make the enemy and the ffc stay together? and also i dont know the slightest thing about writing scripts. or for that matter i dont even know where the script showcase is. ive been trying to get by without them but i couldnt.

I call this "enemy ghosting." Here's an example snippet of the code you want.

// Set up the ghosted enemy

npc ghosted_hp_enemy = Screen->CreateNPC(255);
// This assumes that you've made a custom enemy with ID 255
// but you can use whatever enemy you want. It helps if the
// enemy is invisible, of course. But you don't want it to be invincible.
// This enemy is going to register hits, so make sure it's vulnerable to
// weapons that you want to be able to damage your custom enemy.

ghosted_hp_enemy->HP = 999;
// You can set the ghosted enemy's hit points to be whatever you want.

while(true){
// This is the part of the code that will execute every frame.
// The stuff above only executes once, when the screen loads.

// First, insert the code that controls how your FFC or group of
// FFCs will move around. It could check where Link is and move
// towards him, or maybe just move in a direction unless there is a wall,
// or if you want to get really fancy, set up an attack pattern. Be creative.

ghosted_hp_enemy->X = this->X;
ghosted_hp_enemy->Y = this->Y;
// This ensures that, every frame, the ghosted enemy will stay on top of
// your FFC. So when the player attacks the FFC, it actually hits the
// invisible enemy.

// It's also a good idea to stick some code in here that handles enemy
// damage control. You know, code that makes your FFC flash and move
// away when the ghosted enemy is hit. See Zodiac for examples.

}
// This ends your while loop.

Bear in mind this is a code snippet. I didn't put in alot of stuff you need before or after.

-C

Master Maniac
01-30-2008, 10:51 PM
ahhh... thank you... i really need to look up the variables and stuff so i can do it on my own.... but thanks lol

ok so...

npc ghosted_hp_enemy = Screen->CreateNPC(255);
//this says i have an enemy. does this attach that enemy to the ffc? or does it just check for the enemy?

ghosted_hp_enemy->HP = 999;
//this does HP. easy. got it.

while(true){
//will putting coordinates inside this make it move? or do i need seperate code for that?

ghosted_hp_enemy->X = this->X;
ghosted_hp_enemy->Y = this->Y;
//ok this makes the enemy on top. i understand that part.

//and then damage effects and stuff go here. .......heyyy can i make something where it triggers secret flags once all the HP hits 0? that would be a checking one i think... lol computer language....

}

//tada!! end script.

----------------------------

ooook. i have an idea.

1- i tell the eyes to move to a specific spot.
so thats something like...

FFc(1)->__ypos__xpos{

and once for each eye. i bet thats probably not even close, but its about what i want.

2- i want them to check link's coordinates and rush toward them. but not too fast.so....

{check(link pos)}waitframe(60)->link pos}

which as i see makes it check link's position, waits a very small time, and then goes to those coordinates, giving link time to move. again probably not even close to actual scripts, but this is what i see when i look at scripts.

3- they then move from there to the center eye, which is at... ugh... the center of the top of the screen...

{move->__x__y}
or
{trackFFc(5)}

again, NOT RIGHT

and 4- return to normal movement. but i think i only have to put the end bracket thing there for that.

ok now i need help again, correcting this. lol sorry for being kinda un-teachable but i need to know these things and i cant find a tutorial that works well. i need to find a list of variables somewhere.

please and thank you??????