PDA

View Full Version : Angry Employee Deletes All of Company's Data

Prrkitty
01-25-2008, 11:30 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,325285,00.html

Quote: Call it a tale of revenge gone wrong.

When Marie Lupe Cooley, 41, of Jacksonville, Fla., saw a help-wanted ad in the newspaper for a position that looked suspiciously like her current job — and with her boss's phone number listed — she assumed she was about to be fired.

So, police say, she went to the architectural office where she works late Sunday night and erased 7 years' worth of drawings and blueprints, estimated to be worth $2.5 million.

---------
Talk about screwing oneself out of a job! Apparently she wasn't very secure in her job, or so she thought. Ultimately it wasn't even her job... it was a similar job position in her boss' wifes company.

Luckily the guy was able to recover all the data.

Russ
01-25-2008, 11:33 PM
Wow. I'm guessing she got fired.

Pineconn
01-25-2008, 11:35 PM
Honestly, the story would've been a lot funnier if your last sentence weren't true. But I suppose that's good for the company (that he was able to recover the data).

But still, what a paranoid lady. I'm sure she'll be on the unemployed list for a good, long time.

Russ
01-25-2008, 11:38 PM
But still, what a paranoid lady. I'm sure she'll be on the unemployed list for a good, long time.
Really? I think she will get employed pretty quickly. :)

Pineconn
01-25-2008, 11:42 PM
Will he pass the test?

What are you talking about? Clearly you aren't too bright if you think that. It's obvious that she won't be hired by even lightning_z.

Russ
01-25-2008, 11:48 PM
It's obvious that she won't be hired by even lightning_z.
Who's lightning_z? Gosh, I feel really stupid today. :gavel:. Probably partially because I'm sick. :sick:

Masamune
01-26-2008, 12:51 AM
Who's lightning_z? Gosh, I feel really stupid today. :gavel:. Probably partially because I'm sick. :sick:

Someone that should have ended up on the hair of his father's navel.

Aegix Drakan
01-26-2008, 01:29 PM
...XD

What the hell was she thinking?

...wait...forgot the punctuation...

What the hell! Was she THINKING?!?

This is a case of revenge gone stupid. Even IF she got fired, how would this have looked on her Reference? "Deleted $ 2.5 Mil worth of data at previous place of employment to spite the employer for laying her off"

The irony of the whole thing is that her job was never even in danger. XD

And seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if ol' Lightning_Z would hire her. I mean, if he can afford...how many was it? 10 lawyers? Then he can obviously afford to hire this crazy, delete-happy woman.

(He was a really stupid poster here a while back. He got banned, then re-regstered, and threatened to sue War_lord. ...Multiple times)

Modus Ponens
01-27-2008, 02:52 AM
She feared she would get fired, so she took action, but her action caused her firing. Lady, you can't change the future. Didn't you learn anything from the Terminator movies?

Sute
01-28-2008, 12:04 PM
Crazy, I really don't understand her situation, but, obnoxiously assuming what I barely know, I think it wasn't to smart to just delete all of that work, she must have really been into that job though, as in, career-instead. That must have been why she over reacted without asking any questions.

Cloral
01-28-2008, 01:21 PM

In the conference room:
New employer: So, let's talk a bit about your previous job. I spoke with your boss, and he tells me you tried to delete all of the company's data. Why don't you tell me a bit about that?

rocksfan13
01-28-2008, 01:46 PM
Duh. Duh. Maybe she thought her job was just for her and she'd be damned if anyone else was going to get credit for all her work.
Guess now she's out of a job, either that or she had done some special favors or used some kind inconcievable excuse as to why it happened. ;)

I don't know what happened. I must have hit F10 or something and it wiped everything out by accident!
As you see a bead of sweat running down her face.

Idiot. Is the only word here. Idiot.

Dark Nation
01-28-2008, 03:18 PM
This is why they invented the Dead Man's Switch and the Vigilance Switch. To prevent false alarms like this. :D

Aegix Drakan
01-28-2008, 10:01 PM
This is why they invented the Dead Man's Switch and the Vigilance Switch. To prevent false alarms like this. :D

The what now?

Ich
01-28-2008, 10:17 PM
This is why it is a good idea to back up your files regularly, not just on a separate computer, but also at a data storage firm and maybe a couple of DVD-Rs in your closet at home.

MasterSwordUltima
01-28-2008, 10:19 PM
Thats really odd that she had access to $2.5 bil worth of the company's data.

Starkist
01-28-2008, 10:22 PM
Bad journalism. The article starts with the premise that she nearly destroyed millions of dollars worth of information. As I read it, I'm thinking that these people are complete idiots for not having multiple layers of backups. Then at the bottom, I read that they recovered the data. So they did have backups. Putting that first would take some of the sensationalism out of the story I suppose.

Jigglysaint
01-28-2008, 11:13 PM
The security must have been pretty bad if such a thing was capable of happening in the first place. I can't understand where all these people come from. What is there, a gigantic vortex that leads to a world where common sense doesn't exist? Also, why is it in the United States? Of course that explains where Bush came from.

MasterSwordUltima
01-28-2008, 11:21 PM
Bad journalism. The article starts with the premise that she nearly destroyed millions of dollars worth of information. As I read it, I'm thinking that these people are complete idiots for not having multiple layers of backups. Then at the bottom, I read that they recovered the data. So they did have backups. Putting that first would take some of the sensationalism out of the story I suppose.

Wouldn't that make it good journalism?

Starkist
01-28-2008, 11:29 PM
Wouldn't that make it good journalism?

If sensationalism over information is the goal, I suppose.

Icey
01-28-2008, 11:41 PM
If sensationalism over information is the goal, I suppose.

Which, both clearly and unfortunately, it is. Even in more supposedly "balanced" and informative coverage, sensationalism will be a goal of every news report... even if only a muted one. As news outlets compete with each other, and with the proliferation of different magazines, newspapers, and cable shows in the business, media coverage is less useful and more sensational. Look at the state of the union tonight, for instance. Regardless of the substance of Bush's speech and the democratic response, the only things the media will really focus on - at least on television and in part in print - are whether or not so-and-so senator was standing or seated. The media is an economic entity competing for your money... so yes... sensationalism is the goal.

Anything that might shock you, get you to click a link or stay tuned in to a TV station, is probably going to be sought after and utilized. Perhaps some facts and names will be thrown in for good measure.

AtmaWeapon
01-30-2008, 11:11 PM
Just because they didn't lose the data doesn't mean economic damage wasn't done.

At an internship, we backed up some ridiculous amount of data every night onto tapes which were rotated frequently and stored offsite. A full backup took something like 6 hours, and a restore would take likely as long. The overhead to get one file restored could often be as long, because you had to figure out which tape had that file from the day that it was requested, then possibly drive to remote storage to get it. Keep in mind this was a company that produced 4,000,000+ parts a year, and the cost of being down for 6 hours because some jerk deleted all of your order files gets really nasty.

I'm curious what the penalty is and I hope it has something to do with federal prison. Adults do not do this.