PDA

View Full Version : I've got a question

Santano64neo
01-23-2008, 05:24 PM
Um, I've got a few questions.

1: Quest 2.10 on Zelda quest version 2.10 doesn't have a password on it. I accedentally clicked it when I was opening one of my own quests. Would I be able to use the sprites and stuff to make my own quest as long as I give credit to whoever made the graphics and midi's?

2: Is it possible to add sprites to the caves/item room areas.
Also is it possible to change what Link looks like?

3: Is it possible to make link look like himself in one map and look different on the other? I want to try to make a TP quest.

Russ
01-23-2008, 05:38 PM
1. Yes, you can use the graphics from 2.10 test. The tileset is called "New First". You can also download tilesets to use from the tileset database at purezc.com.

2. You can't add sprites to caves or such, but there is a workaround. Have to cave warp Link to a room in a dungeon dmap. Delete the graphics for the fire in the tile editor. Set the guy in the room to "fire" and then put down the new sprite as a combo.

3. Link Tile Modifiers! It's how shield make Link look different. It allows Link's sprites to change when he picks uo a certain item. Select the item, and there should be a box that says "Link tile modifier". Put the number of tiles you want it to skip in the tilesheet from Lnk's current sprites.

I hope that helps you a little bit.

Master Maniac
01-24-2008, 03:49 PM
hey russadawn could you explain #3 a little more clearly? you said thatyou can set the modifiers to be used after link picks up an item. can you set it to work when he steps on a certain tile? like a **ahem** "morph warp" tile?

[i realize this combo doesent exist, but it should lol]

Joe123
01-24-2008, 05:50 PM
You mean so that he looks different, only whilst standing on certain tiles?

Yes, simple, but requires scripting.

In fact, go check my 'True Ladder/Vines' (or simmilar named) script in the showcase, that's pretty much exactly what it does.

Master Maniac
01-24-2008, 08:56 PM
sorta but not exactly. i mean like him looking different on different Dmaps. i bet this could be done with scripting too though.

Santano64neo
01-25-2008, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the help! I'm a little confused with 2 and 3, but I'm sure I can work through that.

Next question: I put up a locked door in the overworld, and it appears as a passageway. I'm a little confused as how I can get it to stay locked until you use the key. If I can't get it to work, then I'm gonna have to postpone making this quest because it requires Link to travel into the twilight to retrieve a key for the bridge.

Pineconn
01-25-2008, 11:30 PM
Next question: I put up a locked door in the overworld, and it appears as a passageway. I'm a little confused as how I can get it to stay locked until you use the key. If I can't get it to work, then I'm gonna have to postpone making this quest because it requires Link to travel into the twilight to retrieve a key for the bridge.

You'd have to use lock blocks instead of a locked door. You know how to set up and/or use lock blocks, right?

Well, in case you don't, you can't make Link use more than one key for lock blocks on each screen. In other words, when you unlock one lock block, they all unlock on the same screen. The lock block will then cycle to the next combo on the list (the one immediately to the right). Lock block copycats are used to change the appearance of something on the screen with the use a lock block. While you can't use a key on a lock block copycat, it will act the exact same way as a regular lock block (that is, it will cycle to the next combo when you use a key on the lock block). This allows you to grant Link access to an area indirectly.

Santano64neo
01-25-2008, 11:35 PM
I tried making a door a lock block, but it just turned into a shutter when I used the key.

Russ
01-25-2008, 11:37 PM
Just do this. Make a combo for the top right of the door, locked. Make it a lock block, and unwalkable. Make the next combo in the list the top right of the door, but open, and walkable, with no combo type. Do this for the other door corners. Then put the locked door combos on the screen. That should work.

Pineconn
01-25-2008, 11:39 PM
That's because it wasn't set up correctly. Like I said, the lock block will cycle to the next combo on the list, which must have been a shutter. Instead, if you make it an open door or ground tile or whatever, it'll work fine.

EDIT: What russadwan said. :rolleyes:

Santano64neo
01-25-2008, 11:39 PM
Okay. I'll try now.

Santano64neo
01-25-2008, 11:50 PM
How do you get rid of dungeon doors? I can't get rid of the two I set up!

Russ
01-25-2008, 11:50 PM
sorta but not exactly. i mean like him looking different on different Dmaps. i bet this could be done with scripting too though.
Sure it could. You would have to create an item that's Link Tile Modifier changes Link's sprites into something else. Then, the script has to check to see if Link is on the right dmap, and if he is, give him the item, and if he's not, take away the item.

Santano64neo
01-26-2008, 12:06 AM
I've got good news and bad news!

Good news: It worked!
Bad news: It went to the wrong tile but I know how to fix it.

EDIT: Now, What exactly is the script and how do I edit it?(I'm pretty sure what it is: Its those tiles that appear as those icons of hearts and X's) And would tiles need to be edited with the new script as well?

Russ
01-26-2008, 12:48 AM
EDIT: Now, What exactly is the script and how do I edit it?(I'm pretty sure what it is: Its those tiles that appear as those icons of hearts and X's) And would tiles need to be edited with the new script as well?
Which script? The one I was talking about? I still need to right it. I'll post it later.

Santano64neo
01-26-2008, 04:25 PM
Okay, I've got another question: Is it possible to put strings in the overworld without a guy. Like I want something like this:
Voice:<insert message here>
Enemy:<insert message here>

Would I be able to do that on the overworld screens?

The_Amaster
01-26-2008, 04:30 PM
Yes, if you make the tile for a guy you never use blank. Like, if you never intend to use the Old Lady, make her tile nothing, and then when you set her for a string, nothing will show up.

As for it on the overworld, make a new DMap Overworld Type, but set the level to like, 22. Any big number. Then have a side warp to the same map but that DMap. That way it looks normal, but the string shows up.

Santano64neo
01-26-2008, 04:34 PM
All right. Thanks.

New question: How can you make names on the map appear in certain areas of the overworld. Like heres and example.

Bottom left of map: Forest
Top Left of map: Village

The_Amaster
01-26-2008, 05:03 PM
Different DMaps for the same map again. You can use this exactly the same way to change the color scheme and music as well. DMaps are your friend.

Santano64neo
01-26-2008, 05:13 PM
Oh, so I make the overworld be classified as a 'dungeon' and then create the layout. Then I make another 'dungeon' on the map. Okay, I've got that now.

The_Amaster
01-26-2008, 05:20 PM
Whoop, sorry no.

Make a map.
Draw your forest and village on it.
Now, go to DMaps.
Go to say, DMap 1. Set to "Overworld" type, the map to whatever your map number is. Under the tabs you'll find various options to change title and music and such. Set it as you want for the Forest.
Go to DMap 2, but set it for the Village. Same map still.
Now go to the map, go to the screen seperating the village from the forest on the forest side, and have a "Side Warp" take you to the next screen you would walk to anyway but DMap 2. Do the reverse on the other side.

Does that make more sense. Try it first, and you'll probably get it.

Santano64neo
01-26-2008, 09:39 PM
Now I get it. Lol! I was using side warps for passageways to different overworlds.

Santano64neo
01-27-2008, 11:53 PM
Um, when I put blocks down to be pushed, they don't move!

Also, Theres a dungeon map on 2.10 test that if I delete the map, the colors go all rainbow.
(I'm not copying the quest, my computer won't let me import/export templates so I need to use the 2.10 test thing. just clearing that up.)

Joe123
01-28-2008, 03:51 AM

Make an item with a LTM.
Give it to Link in the initial data.
On the DMaps where you don't want Link to have it, put it onto the disable box.

No need for scripting.

erm2003
01-28-2008, 06:36 AM
Um, when I put blocks down to be pushed, they don't move!

Blocks don't move on their own. You have to set a push flag on a block to get it to move in a specific direction or a certain number of spaces. The first group of flags will move the block once in the direction indicated and trigger secrets in the room. Later on in the flag list you can find options that let you move the blocks multiple spaces without triggering a secret. These are good for block puzzles. If you want the block that can be pushed many spaces to trigger a secret, then use the block trigger flag on where you want the block to be when it's triggered. You can have multiple triggers in the room. Once they are all activated, the secret is triggered (which could be as simple as a shutter door opening).

Also, don't forget to set the under combo to determine what shows up under the block once it is pushed. I hope that wasn't too much!