PDA

View Full Version : System crashes when I use my own MIDIs?

Rakshiba
01-19-2008, 11:06 AM
I used MIDIs from sources off the internet, and they work perfectly fine. But when I use my own MIDIs created by one of my programs the whole computer crashes? I'm currently using b704, the quest was originaly created on b500 if this makes a difference. It may be a bug but I want to check here first.

Gleeok
01-19-2008, 05:38 PM
What program are you using, and are you using General midi sounds? I load custom mids all the time and they work fine.

Rakshiba
01-24-2008, 11:54 AM
Sorry for the delay... I'm using Fruity Loops studio v3.4 and the sounds are originaly in WAV. format, then converted into MIDI.

Master Maniac
01-24-2008, 03:39 PM
that might be the problem.

when files are converted, that means things in them have to be changed to fit the file type. maybe too much was changed to fit which could possibly caused a file corruption. have you tried saving it as a MIDI instead of saving it as a .wav file? if thats an option anyway.

i would like to know though where you got your MIDI maker tho XD

Pineconn
01-24-2008, 06:30 PM
No no no no, you can't convert from a WAV to a MIDI format. As MM said, it may be possible to save as a MIDI initially.

I always suggest using Anvil Studio (http://www.anvilstudio.com) to compose MIDIs.

Joe123
01-24-2008, 06:47 PM
WAV->MIDI is impossible as Pineconn said, whereas MIDI->WAV is perfectly feasable.

This has to do with what they are, and how they differ.

A MIDI file is a set of instructions for the computer to play different notes of different sounds at different times. This relates to why MIDI file formats are so small, because it's impossible to have certain different types of sounds, and giving the computer a set of instructions is (mostly) a quick way to get it to work.

A WAV file is an exact replica of the wave-form of sound that the speakers generate (I think). Sound is a wave, yes? You know what a wave is?
Well if you open a WAV file in an editor such as the 'Sound Recorder' application that comes with Windows, you'll see that wave shape.

This means that, you can't just convert the WAV to a MIDI, because the computer can't make up it's own instructions, whereas you can convert the MIDI to a WAV, because the computer can just save the actaul wave form of the sound, instead of the instructions.

WAVs are significantly larger.

Master Maniac
01-24-2008, 08:49 PM
hey pineconn, umm how do i make the playback from anvil play from speakers? its not wanting to work. when i click play after placing notes and sounds it makes no sound. how do i fix this?

[sorry i realize this is completely off-topic]

Gleeok
01-25-2008, 01:14 AM
hey pineconn, umm how do i make the playback from anvil play from speakers? its not wanting to work. when i click play after placing notes and sounds it makes no sound. how do i fix this?

[sorry i realize this is completely off-topic]

I don't use anvil, but try audio options->playback/ device drivers/ settings etc. If you have a soundcard select that, and also double check yer synth volume.

Master Maniac
01-25-2008, 06:37 PM
lol wow i feel smart... thanks gleeok